Are you a self-motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Founded in 1995 by human rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children is an international charity and educational partner that believes in a world where all young people are free to achieve their fullest potential. We work internationally to free children from poverty and exploitation through a holistic and sustainable development model called Adopt a Village. Domestically, we offer innovative programs that educate, engage and empower youth to become agents of change.
Free The Children seeks a Special Events Coordinator to join our We Day team. We Day is more than just one day of celebration and inspiration. We Day is the movement of our time – a movement of young people leading local and global change. Harnessing the energy and passion of a young community of change makers, We Day brings youth together in an unparalleled setting to show them that they are not alone in their journey to make a difference.
The We Day work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who enjoy multi- tasking and working in a fast paced environment. A passion for event planning and logistics combined with an interest in social justice is an asset.
A minimum two-year commitment is required and there are two streams of compensation for our entry level coordinator roles:
- Housing option (available only in Vancouver and Toronto)
- Non-housing option
The Housing option compensation offers a base salary
- Year 1: $20,000 plus shared accommodation included
- Year 2: $22,000 plus shared accommodation included
The Non-Housing option compensation offers a base salary
- Year 1: $27, 500
- Year 2: $29, 500
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a three (3) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Report to and take direction from the Manager, Special Events, We Day
- Support the planning, management and implementation of the entire We Day experience for all honoured guest stakeholder groups (i.e. donors, educational partners, sponsors, etc.)
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of the following at external events related to the special events affiliated with the We Day experience:
o Special event rundowns
o Print materials
o Gift bags
o Venue relationship
o Technical requirements
o Seating arrangements
- Support the honoured guest team in their daily tasks as needed
Reporting and Relationships:
- This position will reside within the We Day Team, and will also work closely with senior members of all other departments and senior leadership team in both Free The Children and Me to We
- The Special Event Coordinator, We Day will report directly to the Manager, Special Events, We Day
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a degree/qualification preferably in event planning, project management, hospitality or related field
- Entry level position (experience with VIPs an asset)
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Enjoys working in a demanding, fast paced work environment and flexible with work hours
- Highly self – motivated and independent, a strategic thinker
- Able to perform well and problem solve in high stress, dynamic and changing situations
- Detail oriented with strong attention to effective task completion
- Comfortable working with and delegating to senior management
- Comfortable working with external stakeholders
- Positive and professional attitude and able to work as a team player
- Excellent time management, organization and multi-tasking skills
- Sound understanding of and experience working with Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience using online registration systems is an asset
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists. This means we work hard, set high goals and exceed them to help empower youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9–5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired by collaboration, making friendships with incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days, and if your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.