Position Available: Manager, Special Event Communications, We Day
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a driven and experienced Manager, Special Event Communications, We Day who will report directly to the Associate Director, Special Events & Experiences, We Day. The candidate should have at least two years of experience working in communications with VIP stakeholders, demonstrate an ability to manage programs and relationships, and have previous experience in a leadership/management capacity.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term youth engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
Please apply at http://www.freethechildren.com/about-us/careers/
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Lead the development and strategy around planning, management and implementation of the entire We Day guest registration process;
- Responsible for communication between external and internal stakeholders regarding special guest experiences at We Days and all related events;
- Over seethe planning, management and implementation of the following for special experiences at We Days and all related special events:
o Guest Lists
o Registration at events
o Online registration system
o Invitations and all related communication materials
o Follow up
o Online information for guests at We Days
o Suite level team lead for We Day execution
- Managing and training suite hosting team staff and volunteers for all We Days
- Managing RSVPs, registration and event communication for Marc and Craig Kielburger’s most valued stakeholders, particularly related to Free The Children’s signature event, We Day;
- Communicating directly to a sub group of guests about We Day;
- Assist with planning and executing special events and experiences related to Free The Children’s signature event We Day;
- Support the Special Events & Experiences team in their daily tasks as needed
Reporting and Relationships:
- This position will reside within the We Day Team, and will also work closely with senior members of the Executive Team and senior leadership team in both Free The Children and Me to We
- The Manager, Special Event Communications, We Day will report directly to the Associate Director, Special Events & Experiences, We Day
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a degree/qualification preferably in event planning, project management, communications, marketing, hospitality or related field;
- Experience managing a team of staff or volunteers;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Enjoys working in a demanding, fast paced work environment and flexible with work hours;
- Highly self – motivated and independent, a strategic thinker;
- Able to perform well and problem solve in high stress, dynamic and changing situations;
- Detail oriented with strong attention to effective task completion;
- Flexible and adaptable to change;
- Comfortable working with and delegating to senior management;
- Comfortable working with external stakeholders;
- Positive and professional attitude and able to work as a team player;
- Excellent time management, organization and multi-tasking skills;
- Sound understanding of and experience working with Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Experience working with Salesforce is an asset;
- Fluency in French is beneficial but not required;
- Experience using/developing online registration systems is an asset;
- Prior experience coordinating special events and/or providing executive level support preferred
- Ability to work closely with high level donors and corporate partners with the highest level of professionalism
- Ability to maintain a high degree of discretion and confidentiality
- Valid driver’s license preferred
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you. Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.