Position Available: Production Manager
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a driven and experienced Production Manager who will report to the Associate Directors of Free The Children and Met To We. The Production Manager is responsible for the planning, execution and trafficking of the department's entire process of print and digital production in support of its marketing and content development activities. This includes the master scheduling, allocation and tracking of creative talent and resources, as well as managing all stages of the print production process for quality and efficiency – from planning and costing, RFQs, specifications compliance, pre-press file preparation and press approvals through to delivery of the finished product. The Production Manager works closely with other key managers within the Creative & Communications team, and serves as the central point person with external suppliers.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term youth engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum three commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Manage the production of print and digital output (editorial content and marketing assets) to ensure that the final product meets quality standards, specifications, deadlines and budget
- Prepare all output files to meet pre-press specifications
- Drive the planning, execution and monitoring of complex master production schedules for all department projects
- Project trafficking – hold the department accountable to critical dates to ensure scheduled deadlines are met
- Monitor and manage resource allocation to meet full utilization of creative team time
- Implement and drive continuous improvement activities through best practices
- Foster team knowledge of the production process and production costs
- Communicate supply chain issues to the team, problem solve and help implement solutions
- Work with suppliers to ensure continuous improvement and optimal production solutions for new and existing marketing materials and concepts
- Develop specifications for new projects with suppliers and negotiate effective pricing;
- Process and track mock-ups, prototypes, electronic templates and printer proofs with vendors
- Organize and manage all photography assets in the photo database to ensure timely access to a variety of quality images for overall design enhancement
- Manage digital archives and print samples of all final creative files and materials
- Work with Associate Directors and the finance department on budgeting, forecasting and actual product cost analysis compared to budget
- Work with the Me to We team and vendors to develop retail packaging solutions along with costing analysis for new options
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required and 3-5 years experience in a publishing or purchasing, print, project management or supply chain management environment
- Knowledge of the print production process, with experience in pre-press file preparation
- Strong attention to detail and knowledge of operational workflow dynamics to track and analyze the project status within the creative process
- Ability to multi-task and juggle resources to execute tasks to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills
- Commitment to continuous process improvement initiatives and ability to solve problems creatively
- Highly motivated and high level of initiative; works proactively in support of department creative goals and business objectives
- Ability to build relationships and work across a multi-brand organization
- Strong analytics
- Computer skills (MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, project management tools)
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.