Position Available: Manager, School & Youth Event Logistics (We Day)
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a Manager for School & Youth Event Logistics to join the team responsible for developing and implementing a unique program that engages schools in learning and action on local and global issues. The School & Youth Event Logistics Manager will develop and implement school logistics for all We Day events. We Day is more than just one day of celebration and inspiration. We Day is the movement of our time – a movement of young people leading local and global change. Harnessing the energy and passion of a young community of change makers, We Day brings youth together in a unparalleled setting to show them that they are not alone in their journey to make a difference.
The We Day work environment appeals to self directed, flexible team players who enjoy multi- tasking and working in a fast paced environment. A passion for event planning and logistics combined with an interest in social justice is an asset. Applicants should be prepared to be on the road for extended periods at a time (up to 3 weeks) during We Day execution.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Oversee the process of confirming schools’ attendance to We Days;
- Develop online confirmation system with a team of web and technical programmers;
- Develop and set full-scale We Day school logistics plans, critical paths, timelines, milestones and associated communication documents regarding We Day;
- Oversee the management of the We Act email inbox
- Oversee the management of the We Day phone lines
- Ensure that all communication regarding We Act programming at large is distributed to the appropriate team members on the Youth & Educational Programming team, who hold relationships with relevant stakeholders and We Day attendees;
- Work in collaboration with the Youth & Educational Programming team to ensure that all priorities are met with regards to ticket numbers, goals and communication;
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts with the project team and project execution;
Data collection and monitoring
- Monitor the submission of registrations, as per goals set out by relationship holding teams, and troubleshoot accordingly if needed;
- Track project milestones and deliverables;
- Ensure that all data and collection of school information is tracked and properly entered into the online Salesforce system;
- Adjust internal strategies for usage of online registration systems as needed.
- Manage a team of 2 coordinators and oversee HR policies are communicated and accessible to employees;
- Communicate roles and responsibilities to coordinators and outline clear goals and role portfolios for effective event execution;
- Ensure that team members are able to execute and perform project tasks as needed, and mitigate and issues as they arise in collaboration with the Associate Director and Directors.
Reporting and relationships:
- The School and Youth Event Logistics Manager will report to the Associate Director of We Day and the department Director(s). The Manager and will work closely with other managers within the department, and with managers on the Youth & Educational Programming team to ensure collaborative efforts drive desired results.
Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree;
- Experience managing project/program development and implementation;
- Experience with program evaluation, data collection & management and monitoring
- Able to multi-task, work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrates strong, dynamic leadership and enthusiasm;
- Possesses strong interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Demonstrated flexibility and initiative, particularly when faced with challenges;
- Proficient use of MS Office program
- Experience with Salesforce and online database systems is an asset;
- Able to travel in Canada and internationally and to work on weekends as required.
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.