Position Available: Manager, Volunteer Engagement (Maternity Leave), We Day
Are you a self-motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our
organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a Manager, Volunteer Engagement, We Day who will report directly to the Associate Director, Event Operations, We Day. The candidate will be responsible for developing and executing a plan for volunteer engagement, recruitment and training. This position is ideally suited for someone who is comfortable liaising with external organizations to discuss volunteer opportunities, implementing a volunteer training program and providing guidance, support, resources and tools to other team members supervising volunteers. Applicants should be prepared to be on the road for extended periods in the fall.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term stakeholder engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). The duration of the contract is 15 months and the candidate is expected to start October 7, 2013. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
Please apply online at http://www.freethechildren.com/about-us/careers/.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Manage the volunteer coordinators to ensure priorities and deadlines are being met
- Develop and implement We Day volunteer engagement and retention strategies for all We Days
- Manage the development and maintenance of the online volunteer registration system and creating online content for volunteers
- Work with the Partner Relations and Sponsorship Fulfilment teams to create an engaging corporate volunteer experience
- Work with all We Day teams to implement an effective and engaging volunteer training program
- Train staff to effectively train and work with volunteers
- Develop strategies for successful volunteer recruitment, registration, communication and in-venue experience
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer honouring activities
- Execute volunteer elements smoothly and efficiently in venue
- Manage the volunteer program budget
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the volunteer program and implement improvements as necessary
- Ensure best practices and lessons learned are document for all of the above
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a degree/qualification preferably in volunteer management or event planning
- Minimum of 2 years of previous management experience, preferably in working in a recruitment and/or training capacity including experience managing people
- Able to manage a team and delegate effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas and information clearly
- Ability to multi-task with a keen eye for detail
- Comfortable training and presenting to large groups of people; experience with public speaking is an asset
- A self-starter, solution oriented with an ability to thrive with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment
- Positive and professional attitude with the ability to work as a team player
- Creative and innovative individual with a passion for volunteers
- Ability to foster strong relationships with all volunteers, including our corporate partners and Champion volunteers
- Able and willing to travel for extended periods of time
- Sound understanding of and experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Knowledge of Salesforce is an asset.
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.