Position Available: Graphic Design Manager
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a driven and experienced Graphic Design Manager who will report to the Director of Creative and Communications. The candidate should be a skilled and experienced designer with at least two years of experience working in a leadership role as part of a design studio or creative services team. He/she must demonstrate an ability to manage team members, monitor work flow, and perform quality control on design assets.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term youth engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Manage a team of 5-8 in-house, full-time designers in a high performing, high energy and dynamic work environment
- Delegate and manage design projects with speed and efficiency
- Establish internal design processes and ensure they are followed (akin to a graphic design studio manager position)
- Ensure quality of all materials produced by designers (resource guides and curriculum for educators and youth, brochures, websites, toolkits, resources on development and child rights issues, etc.)
- Ensure overall quality and that designs are consistent with brand and communications goals
- Liaise with writing, PR, social media, web and marketing and communications managers within the broader communications team.
- Assist Marketing and Communications Managers and Associate Directors with department planning
- Act a management team member on the Creative and Communications department
- Occasionally, undertake design tasks and projects (note: this will make up less than 15% of the Design Manager’s time)
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven ability to manage and motivate team members gained through experience managing a team
- Minimum two years experience working in a leadership role as part of a design studio or creative services team
- Trained, experienced and skilled graphic designer, with experience in print and web design, and knowledge in the following areas: Mac platform, CS5 Adobe software, Illustrator, In Design and Photoshop
- Exceptional project management, multitasking and organizational skills, as well as an ability to focus on multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment
- Professional demeanor and clear communication skills, both written and verbal
- Able to multi-task, manage time, prioritize tasks and work in fast-paced environment
- A natural leader with a demonstrated ability to identify efficiencies, take initiative and be self-directed
- Willing to work long hours and be a dedicated team player
- Positive attitude and ability to work as a team player
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.