Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks an Events Specialist for We Walk 4Water, a 300-kilometer water walk from Edmonton to Calgary to raise money for Free The Children’s Water Initiative, a year-long campaign to provide 100,000 people around the world with permanent sources of clean water.
The ideal candidate will have proven project and event management experience, as well as experience managing people. Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment, is detail oriented and has strong communication skills. This position will be responsible for the planning and execution of private VIP and honoured guest events as well as a series of school & youth events.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). Travel to Alberta will be required for the month of May for the duration of the walk.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Manage the planning and execution of three VIP receptions/dinners
- Manage the planning and execution for nine school/youth events
- Liaise with event sponsors and suppliers; obtain all event related supplies (signage, printed materials)
- Produce content for events, schedule speakers & create rundowns
- Recruit and manage volunteers
- Manage the budget for all of the above
- Works with social media, video and PR teams to ensure coverage of events
Reporting and Relationships:
- Strong project and event management skills; experience putting on and executing events from definition to project close
- Ability to lead a team and to work independently
- Detail oriented with strong communication skills
- Ability to travel
- Full drivers license an asset
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.