Position Available: Director, Youth & Educational Programming
Are you a person who enjoys challenges and making a difference in the world?
Free The Children is the largest network of children helping children through education in the world. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with four nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize
and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network.
Free The Children seeks a Director of Youth & Educational Programming who will manage the operations and strategy of all youth and educational programs and campaigns put forth by Free The Children. This individual will be responsible for successfully increasing our market share within schools, hitting set goals in revenue generation, assisting in new program development and maintaining a positive and productive working culture within the department. The youth and educational programming department develops and implements innovative programming that engages youth in learning about important social issues and taking action (raising funds and awareness) in support of Free The Children’s community development work overseas, as well as other local issues.
Salary commensurate of experience. Upon completion of a three month period, all staff members are offered a health plan (including dental) and Employee Assistant Program. The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). There is a six month probationary period for all other employment purposes to ensure that both the employee and organization feels the fit is a good one.
The position will begin as soon as possible, at a date to be determined with the applicant. If invited for an interview, candidates will interview twice (on average): once with Human Resources; secondly with our Executive Director. At times, this may amount to three separate interviews.
Please apply at http://www.freethechildren.com/about-us/careers/
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Director will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations and implementation over all aspects of Free The Children’s Youth and Educational Programming activities, ensuring they meet the strategic objectives set out by the Executive Director and Co-Founders. Program areas include:
- School outreach through Educational Programming Coordinators and Outreach Speakers
- Speaking Tours
- Free The Children’s school and youth campaign and program development and delivery
- Youth programming and We 365 engagement
- HR and management of a large team
Core responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Hitting annual goals around youth and school participation, and fundraising, as set out by the Executive Director:
o Use data to inform new tactics and strategies for increasing market share and generating revenue
o Use Free The Children’s customer relations technology platform, Salesforce, to monitor activity, track progress and make financial projections
o Monitor quality and performance of team members
o Clearly communicate priorities and objectives to team
- Monitoring ongoing work of managers and coordinators:
o Directly oversee and support the work of team of managers
o Responsible for monitoring progress and quality of projects and plans
o Liaise with other departments to enhance collaboration
o Development of standardized reporting processes and management techniques
o Represent the Youth and Educational Programming team in Director meetings and strategy development
o Develop overall department strategy and direction
o Oversee the development of a sophisticated program evaluation plan, and oversee its implementation, with the goal of monitoring impacts of programs
- Oversight of project management and implementation:
o Responsible for overseeing the implementation of all projects and plans by program managers and coordinators
o Quality control over all documents and materials
o Monitor the coordination of special events
Lead creation of reports or presentations to the executive team and Director team
The Director of Youth and Educational Programming will report to, and consult with, the Executive Director and Co-Founders of Free The Children.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Two to four years of relevant professional experience
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree, and/or possess a diploma or certificate in education, project management, marketing, business or equivalent education
- Demonstrated passion for global issues
- Excellent organizational and inter-personal skills
- Excellent writing skills, with experience writing strategic plans, program reports and proposals
- Ability to work with senior level management to carry-out vision and objectives, and ability to communicate this information to the broader team
- Demonstrated experience and/or ability to deliver several programs, happening simultaneously
- Experience managing people in a large team, including motivating performance and communicating vision and priorities
- Highly self-motivated, independent and strategic thinker
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated flexibility and initiative, particularly when faced with challenges
- Ability to time-manage and multi-task in a demanding and fast-paced work environment
- Positive and professional attitude and ability to work as a team player with all levels of management
- Experience working with schools and/or school administrative bodies and/or youth an asset
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suites (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher)
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then
push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days, and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interviewwill be contacted.