Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our
organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a driven and experienced Design Manager who will report to the Director of Creative and Communications. The candidate should have at least two years of experience working in a leadership role as part of a creative team, demonstrate an ability to manage team members, work flow and projects, and have previous experience in a leadership/ management capacity.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills,learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term youth engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month
probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Manage a team of designers in a high performing, high energy and dynamic work environment
- Delegate and manage design projects with speed and efficiency
- Establish internal processes and ensure they are followed
- Fulfill administrative upkeep and tasks as required
- Ensure quality of all materials produced by designers (resource guides and curriculum for
educators and youth, brochures, websites, toolkits, resources on development and child rights
- Ensure overall quality and that designs are consistent with brand and communications goals
- Act as main liaison between other Creative and Communications teams (such as writing, PR,
social media, web, etc.) as well as other departments requesting design projects
- Liaise with writing, social media and PR managers within the publications department
- Provide mentorship and source professional development opportunities for team of designers
- Assist Marketing and Communications Managers and Associate Directors with strategic planning
Skills and Qualifications:
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills, as well as detail-oriented.
- Professional demeanor and clear communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to multi-task, manage time, prioritize task and work in fast-paced environment are key skills
for this role.
- Good editorial judgment is essential.
- Positive attitude and ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and be self-directed.
- Willing to work long hours and be a dedicated team player.
- Problem identifier and solver.
- Able to combine creative and technical thinking.
- Minimum two years experience working in a leadership role as part of a creative team (natural
leaders with project management experience will be considered)
- Ability to multitask, manage and focus on a number of deadlines in a demanding and fast-paced
- Strategic planning skills—ability to set and meet project deadlines and motivate team members to
do the same
- Positive attitude and ability to work as a team player
- Superior design and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational, administrative, communication and inter-personal skills
- Willing to work long hours and be a dedicated member of the Free The Children’s team
- Knowledge in the following areas is necessary: Excellent command of Mac platform,CS5 adobe
software, Illustrator, In Design, Photoshop, and knowledge of web design
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking,
entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.