Position Available: Bilingual Youth Programming Coordinator (Montreal)
Are you a person who enjoys challenges and making a difference in the world?
Free The Children is the largest network of children helping children through education in the world. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with four nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network.
Free The Children seeks a Youth Programming Coordinator to join our Quebec office in Montreal, which develops and implements unique programming to engage youth in learning about social issues and taking action to support Free The Children’s sustainable community development.
The Youth Programming Coordinator will manage a portfolio of active schools, educators and individuals who are involved in our fundraising and awareness campaigns and activities, and is responsible for ensuring their retention and increasing the involvement of new schools and groups from year-to-year. The Youth Programming Coordinator will also assist in the planning of numerous and serve as an ambassador for the organization.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and have a passion for bringing global issues, volunteerism and our fundraising and awareness raising programs to schools in a way that is accessible and engaging for students. This is a perfect position for recent graduates who are strategic, creative and hardworking. You should be able to balance administrative duties (phone, email and database management) with youth, school and educator mentorship. This position also requires travel to local schools and youth groups, and occasional travel (1-2 times per year) to Free The Children offices in Toronto.
A minimum commitment of two years is required with a salary of $27,500 for the first year and $29,500 for the second year. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter in English and French.
Youth Programming Outreach and Retention:
- Work with the Youth Programming Manager to develop and implement strategies to ensure retention and further engage schools, educators and youth who are actively involved in Free The Children;
- Actively seek out and establish new partnerships with schools through creative outreach strategies developed in collaboration with the Youth Programming Manager;
- Develop and manage a portfolio of Free The Children’s youth group;
- Maintain regular contact (via email and phone) with portfolio of schools; inform them about new contests, campaigns and events and encourage them to participate;
- Serve as a mentor to schools, educators and youth by providing them with resources and support to implement Free The Children fundraisers and awareness raisers;
- Work with relevant Free The Children and Me to We departments to develop cross-organizational growth opportunities;
- Help build a library of profiles with stories of schools, educators, and youth who are involved with Free The Children;
- Travel to schools to deliver outreach speeches and leadership workshops to educators and youth as required;
- Assist in the planning and organization of special events such as We Day, In-Services, Montreal’s Youth in Action Summit and the Take Action Academy;
- Represent Free The Children at conferences, workshops, school board meetings and forums organized by schools and/or other youth organizations (when applicable)
- Share knowledge and expertise of Free The Children’s international development projects within the seven countries where communities are served.
General and Administrative:
- Actively support the Youth Programming Manager and the Director of Operations;
- Prepare and provide regular reports on the status of your portfolio and activities (e.g. data from schools or participation rates in a specific campaign);
- Follow up on communication with schools through accurate database maintenance and preparation of packages;
- Track expenditures;
- Measure the impact of school actions across all programs and campaigns using both quantitative and qualitative information;
- Provide other administrative support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and some professional work experience;
- Background or professional experience in fundraising/marketing/sales is an asset;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills in French and English;
- Proficient use of MS Office programs – especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Strong administrative skills with experience in database;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ease with presenting in public;
- Experience working with or mentoring youth;
- An independent and goal-oriented self-starter with a high level of motivation who is able to multitask and prioritize with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Able to work well as part of a team by welcoming feedback;
- Positive and professional attitude;
- Interest in human and children’s rights issues at a local, national and international level;
- Possess a Drivers License;
- Eligible to work in Canada
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.