The Fraser River Discovery Centre, in New Westminster, BC, is an interpretive centre that connects visitors to the River's history, environments, industry, people and communities. The FRDC, operating as a non-profit society, is a hands-on interpretive centre with the vision to connect communities in discovery and celebration of the living, working Fraser River. The centre is looking for a part-time, temporary Reception Interpreter.
Reporting to the Executive Director through the Operations Assistant, the Reception Interpreter is responsible for visitor reception including answering public inquiries, registering program bookings and collecting fees, gift shop operations, maintaining the safety and security of FRDC facility, contents, and visitors and reporting building maintenance needs.
- Be the Society’s primary visitor contact with responsibilities including visitor reception and answering public inquiries about FRDC hours of operation, location, exhibition and program information, and related matters; answering the telephone, processing admission and recording visitor attendance statistics
- Responsible for registering programs, special events and facility bookings.
- Responsible for providing administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff including clerical duties, maintenance of database and files; processing all mail.
- Responsible for maintaining the safety and security of FRDC buildings, contents, and visitors.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completion of high school degree, post secondary education preferred.
- Ability to multitask; manage time effectively, to function under pressure and to meet deadlines; and work independently on projects and also collaborate as a strong team member;
- Excellent ability in typing, spelling and grammar,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher, Outlook;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Proven excellent customer service skills and enjoy working with the public;
- Experience working with volunteers and in the non-profit sector is also desirable;
- Working knowledge of retail shop procedures
- Language of work: English. Second language an asset
- Ability to work in a busy, public environment with little to no privacy
HOURS: Part-time, 24 hours per week, 9:45 – 4:15 Wednesday to Saturday
RATE: $12.50/hr plus 4% in lieu of vacation
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 11, 2012 4:30pm
DURATION: September 5 to October 27 (8 weeks) and possibility of on-call work from November 1, 2012
To apply, please fax or email résumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Catherine Ouellet-Martin, Executive Director
Fraser River Discovery Centre, 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC V3M 6Z6
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted