Fraser Health Authority

MOA - Lots of variety in a busy clinic
MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 2, 2015
No micromanaging of employees
Supportive in career endeavours
Little behind in inviting other colleges onto their affiliated list
Employed Student Nurse
Medical Unit Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCOctober 13, 2015
Working for Fraser Health Authority as a student nurse offers many opportunities for learning and testing out the working environment before graduation. They offer support for students in choosing a career path and allow for flexibility with scheduling.
Pros
Excellent support for learning
Challenging and rewarding
Employed Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 30, 2015
A typical day involved seeing clients in the on site clinic. Staff were tremendously supportive and genuinely cared for my learning as a student nurse.
Productive and secure job
Food Service Supervisor/ Diet Technician (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 14, 2012
Great co workers
Very strong Union
Great Benefits
Full time hours
Pros
great benefits and job security
Cons
rotational shifts
Excellent work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 22, 2015
Excellent work place to learn and grow as an employee. Management that is generally concerned and helps with any situation,
Good working environment.
Shift Engineer fourth class/maintenance worker 5 (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCOctober 21, 2012
Power Plant,operation including firing steam boiler, maintaing heating boilers,boiler water analysis,plant maintenance including fan/pump preventitive maintenance/repair/replacement.Chiller operation[up to 30 ton],chiller water tower water testing [corrosion inhibitor /biocide concentrations].I also maintain/repair all of the ice-machines in the hospital.I just passed the required certification for charging/recovering/purchasing refrigerants on oct 13 2012 @ B.C.I.T.. I also have my first year of commercial refrigeration training B.C.I.T. certificate of completion.Management/co-workers all good people. The hardest part of the job is working on equipment that there is no reference material[ maintenance manuals].Also, very little overtime.No advancement.
Pros
good working environment.
Cons
no overtime.no advancement.
Good Company
Lead Hand/Patient Financial Counsellor (Current Employee) –  BCApril 25, 2014
Fraser Health is a great company to work for but the room for advancement is limited. Managing a staff of 6 employees gives me the opportunity to interact with the employees and motivate them to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Challenges are there in all jobs yet I find it makes my job more interesting to accomplish all tasks making any improvements for the department. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help those around me and the interactions that I encounter daily whether by phone or in person. Management styles are different in all organizations and it is something you adjust to from one organization to another.
Pros
government
Cons
no room for advancement/ no reconition
Great company to work for,,with full benefits
Water sampler (Current Employee) –  new port village,,Port MoodyJuly 3, 2015
Excellent company to work for,,always cheerful staff and an amazing boss,,I got hurt transfering a patient in 2006 and was not able to go back to my regular job,,Fraser Health was there for me to find another job with-in the company,,I am now a water sampler tester with the enviromental dept of fraser health working Part time..I love my new position but it doesn't feel my need for more hours..I have been a water sampler since 2008 to present..I will be coming up to my ten year mark with the company..
Pros
working independantly
Cons
not enough hours
Fraser Health Authority is an equal opportunity employer who provide their staff with a safe, secure and respectful workplace.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 27, 2012
Each day is new and different at my job in health care. The challenges that are presented to me at work are usually unique and have an impact on lives in a deep and meaningful way. Some of the choices and decisions we make can mean the difference between life and death in some cases. I have learned that to be a "health care provider" takes daily sacrifice, constant reflection, collaboration and critical thinking among many other factors. Our management is professional, informed, well educated, fair minded and has a open door policy. My co-workers form a tight network of multi talented people in areas such as: social work, dietary, cleaning, recreation and music therapy, pastoral/ clergy, office work, psychology, medical science, and a host of others. We all have the common goal in extended care of ensuring our clients/residents a safe and secure environment to live in dignity and comfort as they sojourn in their final journey of life. Our objective is comfort. As opposed to the fast paced acute care setting where our goal is to give the patient the best quality care in the most professional and proficient manner possible. Our overall objective is to promote health and wellness in all areas of health care.The most difficult part of being a nurse is saying goodbye to people we care for. It's also about seeing how fragile and valuable life and our bodies really are. The best part of my job are the close relationships that are formed under these extreme conditions where life is laid bare and emotions are often raw, where life is real.
Pros
great wage and benefits with a pension.
Cons
long shifts with physical and mental exhaustion.
A great job with big responsibilities
Program Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lower mainland, British ColumbiaDecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would involve editing time cards, looking over staffing baselines to ensure units can function properly for the days to come, work alongside the short call office and charge nurse to problem solve immediate needs, go over all vacancies and set up orientation, process shift swaps, leave requests and pay outs.

The hardest part of my job is sometimes not being able to give my units the baseline they need to function properly.

The most enjoyable part of my job is building the rapport with my staff and working as a team alongside with them, so they can give the best patient care.
Pros
great teamwork and environment
Cons
not being able to fill my units staffing needs due to zero staff.
Great team work and fun group of people.
Electronic Instrument Control Tech (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 7, 2014
A typical day includes preventative maintenance, and break down repair of Sterile Processing Department's equipment, Fire Alarm, Patient Wandering, Nurse Call and Pneumatic Tube Systems. As well I am typically called on for my knowlegde of this equipment to consult with any upgrades or changes. I find this very exciting and would like this to always be a part of my Job.
Pros
i work with a great team of people
Cons
the new management is not easy to work with.
Could be an extremely toxic environment to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 7, 2015
I did enjoy the work, but I didn't like the was our clients were sometimes treated by staff and management. Very busy and stressful work environment. Coworkers could be friendly but lots of drama
Pros
Cons
too stressful
Medical Health for BC, Canada
Medical Receptionist/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 24, 2014
There are 25,000 people who work for Fraser Health in the Lower Mainland of BC, Canada
Management has highly trained individuals
Most enjoyable part of job is helping the public. I worked in Home Health and Mental Health departments
Co-workers were dedicated to their jobs
Liked working there. I quit there as I moved to New York
I enjoy working in the medical field, I am a "people person" and have skills in the medical field
Pros
paid medical and dental
demanding
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 3, 2013
Caring for elderly and sick community members is demanding but rewarding. A typical day can be from bathing an elderly gentleman to taking out a young person for a walk in their wheelchair. Management is understanding but also demanding at times. Hardly see co workers as we are one on one in private homes. The hardest part of this job is leaving it at work but most enjoyable to hear someone enthusiastically say THANK YOU as you are leaving.
Help the elderly play games.
Fraser Health (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 4, 2015
The coordinator is an awsome person. She makes the volunteer work enjoyable. The elderly at the residential home are very sweet and kind.
Comfortable, professional work environment
Child Life Specialist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 6, 2014
Typical day involves connecting with the team, updating on patient needs, coordinating volunteers, supporting patients and families, working on resources, managing supplies & donations

Each day I learn about procedures, experiences, needs, symptoms, the best way to serve each patient and their family.

Co workers are supportive, professional, keep me involved and informed

Hardest part, not being able to see every patient, every day

Most enjoyable...my entire job that I am able to do in day
Pros
excellent work environment and union support
Cons
not enough of my particular positions
unionized environment can provide opportunities, stability and advancement
Clerk and Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland Fraser Valley, B.C.August 2, 2014
Hospital Clerks typical day:

Medical Secretarial and Clerk

Pull medical charts for patients visit
Scan and Fax reports to other health facilities and programs
Reception at Clinic
Switchboard
Timekeeping
Back up clerk for overload work
Database entry of patient information and health care coverage
Schedule and book appointments
Organize meetings and take minutes
Mail
Pros
great pay, wonderful training programs, can move to various departments and sites
Cons
bumping from position, loosing funds for programs thus jobs
patient care is utmost
Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 19, 2013
I dont have a typical day, all are different. I do run audit reports every morning. From then on its phone calls, emails, Etc. Prioritizing workload.
My management team has been great. They will listen to feedback.
Hardest part of my job is some days the frustration levels can get pretty high.

I truely enjoy helping others.
Pros
i get to help all i can help, physicians, units, dr. offices, various departments.
Cons
frustrating at times.
Looked forward to going to work, good group
Manager IM Service Effectiveness (Current Employee) –  SurreyAugust 23, 2013
Fraser Health is a good place to work, however as with most public sector, lots of improvement required that is very costly and there are not enough funds or appetite to improve.
Pros
good department group
Cons
information management culture not good
An excellent organization to be a part of.
Social Work & Speech Pathology Secretary (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJune 6, 2013
I work in an extremelly fast paced, high volume environment on a daily basis. As I work for 2 different departments I am always needing to switch gears and re-prioritize my day and do what is most important first. Working at FHA has provided me with many great skills, both professionally and personally. I enjoy all the people I work with and will miss the people who have been a second family to me through out my time at FHA. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help, support and listen to patients and families and provide them with resources needed to get through their illness or difficulties they are facing. I would say the hardest part of my job is to try and not be a sponge and absorb what you have heard or seen through out your day and not take it home with me. I would not be leaving FHA if I did not have to re-locate to Kamloops. I am excited for the relocation and am already in love with Kamloops.
Pros
the diversity, flexibility, my co-workers, living and working in the same community.
Cons
not the proper workspace provided.