Fraser Health Authority

Fraser Health Authority Employee Reviews

Poor management style; not very sophisticated organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 September 2016
Administrative support role. The workload was comparative to doing two jobs anywhere else - with reactionary and scattered priorities. FH is under-funded and people in many areas are doing the work of more than one person; this is not sustainable. Co-workers are very dis-engaged and unhappy. No room for growth and there is a sense of mediocrity. Was told not to make waves, do as I'm told, and not care so much. High turnover is a sign of issues, but management is not interested in addressing this. Benefits are very good and pay is average compared to other public sector environments. Culturally, people work very hard, but are not provided with engagement opportunities. The organization seems very immature in many ways. Not a place for anyone who has worked in more sophisticated or engaged environments.
Pros
Public sector pay and benefits.
Cons
No value or respect for people; poor engagement and mediocre work standards.
Fraser health Authority focuses on positive patient outcomes
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 March 2017
Fraser health Authority focuses on positive patient outcomes.

Respiratory therapists work in a team environment where management is supportive and responsive to patient needs.
Pros
comprehensive benefits package
Cons
15 to 20% underpaid compared to comparable professions
great co workers
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 October 2016
A great place to work with awesome benefits . If you like helping people and are a good team worker this is a great place to work.
Pros
Lots of ot
Cons
Lots of ot
Fun, productive and rewarding work environment.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 August 2016
The more schooling the better financially, however every position is as equally rewarding and sustaining. No matter what your skill or ability level there is opportunity. You really have a sense of being helpful and caring.
Pros
benefits that come with permanent status
Cons
varied hours
Whats it's like
Maternal OR Aide (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 August 2016
A good place to work. They pay a fair wage and the benefits are really good. Long shifts. Co-workers are good people, a diverse group of people. Easy to work with.
Pros
Work with good co workers
Cons
Long commute
Overall some places are great
Medical Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 November 2016
I enjoy Burnaby hospital much more than Surrey memorial hospital. The staff are much more friendlier and it's very casual. Central city in Surrey can be mixed depending on the boss as its a mix of north, east and south regions during the amalgamation a few years back. However whatever job you do you're expected tp perform and do well. If you don't, other staff members will have to pick up the slack and it makes for a resentful environment. You're expected to learn continuously and not be lazy, be proactive and engaged.
Pros
Free lunches once in a while
Cons
Pay could be better for clerical staff who work hard to support and are the face of fha
I work well under pressure and thorougly enjoy our residents. I have a good positive attitude and a sense of humor. I am currently in Chilliwack BC
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Bradley Centre, Chilliwack BC10 February 2017
A typical day is washing and dressing the resident. It's during care I inspect for new rashes, new pains and their general demeanor incase it's changed.
Breakfast comes and often we must feed them. We take them to various activities or to our lounge to have coffee and socialize. Before lunch arrives we toilet as needed. After lunch there are usually games in the parlour. Or some choose to nap instead. I've learned a great deal about dementia and we take online tests. (CCRS). I have taken mandatory courses on Violence Prevention, as well as Whimis and Food Safety where I got 100%. Management is very good to us but will not tolerate disrespect or breaking confidences. I enjoy my job and I just love our residents. It's an honor to take care of them
Pros
Feeling good at days end. We work like a team.
Cons
Getting hit by residents especially because their psychotropic meds are cut down or d/c'd
Health focused, but no room for advancement
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster and Burnaby, BC11 March 2016
This was just my practicum but from what I hear from my supervisors through Fraser Heath there are many discounts and promotions through local companies such as fitness centers to encourage a healthy lifestyle in their employees. Hospital employees are unionized so there is great job security, however there is limited control of your role in the company. As a MLA there is little room for advancement without further education. Also like any job place, especially one with a primarily female population, there is some workplace gossip/drama.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
little room for advancement
Maternity Leave
Treasury Clerk to the Finance Department- Temp (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC27 June 2016
Queen's Park staff were lovely and FHA is a great organization with wonderful benefits.

Although short lived, it was a great experiences with legalities, account management and financial reconciliations.
Work place is very good .
Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 March 2017
I like working with Fraser health. Management and co - workers are great . I get chances to learn new things and different cultures.Most enjoyable part of the job is helping those who can no longer help themselves and bringing happiness to their day.
Large health authority
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
This health region covers whole of Alberta with many opportunities, great pay, and competitive benefits. I was fortunate to work for them for 6 years.
A small workplace but happy working conditions, good environment and steady.
Content Developer for Online Learning Program (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 March 2016
What you would expect from a government-type position - great working hours with some flexibility, a good pace without impossible deadlines, opportunities to learn and flex creative muscles.
Pros
9-5 without phone calls/emails at home, good compensation.
Cons
Reluctant to give salary/permanent status due to government benefits.
good
RPN at Surrey Memorial Hospital (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 May 2016
Good place to work for stability and diverse workplaces . Good benefits and pay. Find your passion. One of the biggest health authorities. Fraser health is in different cities for flexibility of location
Excellent place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC17 February 2017
I moved back to Canada in July 2013 and have had a few contracts since. Hands down FHA is the best place to work that I've been at. Excellent management, clear program and project results. A friendly and helpful group across the board.
Pros
Well structure
Cons
None.
Don't waste your time
An outsider looking in (Current Employee) –  B.c.15 August 2016
If you are looking to work for fraser health maintenance. Do yourself a favour and read the true ratings from the employees of Vancouver Coastal health.I wish I would have read the reviews prior to accepting a job.I couldn't believe what was written but now I totally agree with their points of view. ( Vancouver Coastal Health rate your employer )It's sad to say that in this organization you are a name and a number,being treated like little children with no say.The management has no desire to improve employer/employee relations and have a one track vision for maintenance. The only ones loosing out are the medical staffs and patients, sad be cause this is not what I signed up for.The infastruxture where I work is on the verge of massive failure
Pros
Working with medical staff helping patients
Cons
Toxic environment, bulling managers, reactionary management with poor people skills and poor or no maitaince direction.
Hard working employees with great team work.
Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 July 2016
I work in Intensive Care and it's busy, unpredictable and fast paced. I love it, but unfortunately there is no room for advancement in my current role. I work with fantastic staff and management which I am very proud of. It's a very rewarding place to work, tough situations with the acuteness of the unit, but very rewarding most days.
I have learned much about team work, multi tasking, prioritizing, computer and communication skills here.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No room for advancement and not compensated well.
good work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 January 2017
I am currently working as an Administrative support worker at Surrey Mental Health. I work 830-430pm Monday to Friday. The job it self is good, the only down side is the pay. I have received my certificate as a nursing unit clerk so I feel that I should be getting paid more.
Pros
Work hours 830-430
Cons
Low pay
Great Place to work!
Licenced Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC; Maple Ridge, BC2 March 2017
Really enjoyed working for Fraser Health Authority (FHA). I started with FHA in 2006 and enjoyed building relationships with the patients and employees.

I would have stayed with the company till retirement but had to relocate to Halifax for personal reasons.

Miss working for FHA often.
Pros
Team Building
Cons
Patient to Nurse ratio
Good
RN Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 January 2017
Good experience overall working within the team work environment. Excellent Doctors to work with and a dedicated management team in charge of each service.
busy and productive
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  BC26 March 2017
The hardest part of the job is working short and patient workload that you sometimes get. It was very hard to get a full time position. I worked as a casual and would get lots of shifts or none in a month, it was either feast or famine. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people