FRASER HEALTH AUTHORITY

FRASER HEALTH AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

Fraser Health Authority is an equal opportunity employer who provide their staff with a safe, secure and respectful workplace.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCOctober 27, 2012
Each day is new and different at my job in health care. The challenges that are presented to me at work are usually unique and have an impact on lives in a deep and meaningful way. Some of the choices and decisions we make can mean the difference between life and death in some cases. I have learned that to be a "health care provider" takes daily sacrifice, constant reflection, collaboration and critical thinking among many other factors. Our management is professional, informed, well educated, fair minded and has a open door policy. My co-workers form a tight network of multi talented people in areas such as: social work, dietary, cleaning, recreation and music therapy, pastoral/ clergy, office work, psychology, medical science, and a host of others. We all have the common goal in extended care of ensuring our clients/residents a safe and secure environment to live in dignity and comfort as they sojourn in their final journey of life. Our objective is comfort. As opposed to the fast paced acute care setting where our goal is to give the patient the best quality care in the most professional and proficient manner possible. Our overall objective is to promote health and wellness in all areas of health care.The most difficult part of being a nurse is saying goodbye to people we care for. It's also about seeing how fragile and valuable life and our bodies really are. The best part of my job are the close relationships that are formed under these extreme conditions where life is laid bare and emotions are often raw, where life is real.
Pros
great wage and benefits with a pension.
Cons
long shifts with physical and mental exhaustion.
Strong work ethics with friendly and personable co-workers
Student Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 27, 2012
A typical day at work would start with me checking for phone and email messages. I would then prioritize my inspections appropriately according to their urgency.

I learned that team work and communication are paramount in the office with co-workers as well as outside the office when I am interacting with operators.

The office I had worked at was strong in work ethics and people were truly satisfied with their jobs and they are proud with the quality of work that is accomplished with the the care and time they put into their work.

The hardest part of the job was breaking through language barriers when communicating with operators coming from a different cultural backgroud. I need to spend more time and use more body language in order to get my point across to them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to meet different people on a daily basis. It's a continual learning experience everyday and I am very humbled by it. I am also excited to share my knowledge from school to educate the importance of public health to better the health of the public and the community in which we live.
Pros
being able to interact with many different people on different levels
Cons
driving a lot
learning to be patient in a fast paced environment
Care Aide but am looking for Cashier job (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMarch 24, 2014
I start work early around 7 am, beginning with bathes and showers, giving medications and personal care. Make some breakfasts for some clients, and spend some time chatting and visiting to make them feel comfortable.
I often learned things about their upbringing, working with those as old as 102 and as young as 40's and learned everyone has a story.
I had to take my orders from management in a direct way and learn to listen carefully.
Working one on one with other workers was very important as we relied on each other to work as a team so things ran smoothly for the client. We learned to finish off what the others left for us and to be constant so were efficient.
Watching people lose their loved ones, especially the spouses and children but it was worthwhile to know you'd made a good difference in caring for their loved one.
Meeting new people and learning about their lives when they were young and what they contributed to our country.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
job security and hours being all over the place
An excellent organization to be a part of.
Social Work & Speech Pathology Secretary (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJune 6, 2013
I work in an extremelly fast paced, high volume environment on a daily basis. As I work for 2 different departments I am always needing to switch gears and re-prioritize my day and do what is most important first. Working at FHA has provided me with many great skills, both professionally and personally. I enjoy all the people I work with and will miss the people who have been a second family to me through out my time at FHA. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help, support and listen to patients and families and provide them with resources needed to get through their illness or difficulties they are facing. I would say the hardest part of my job is to try and not be a sponge and absorb what you have heard or seen through out your day and not take it home with me. I would not be leaving FHA if I did not have to re-locate to Kamloops. I am excited for the relocation and am already in love with Kamloops.
Pros
the diversity, flexibility, my co-workers, living and working in the same community.
Cons
not the proper workspace provided.
Fast paced environment and working with a great team makes this position very enjoyable
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Arrived ahead of time to set up the clinic
Check your messages and emails
Answering the phones and transfer to the right department or person
Prepared patient before seeing the doctor by completing paperwork
Rebook patient as per doctor's request
Book any special appointments needed for patients as per Doctor's request
Data entry, mail sorting, making and pulling charts
Booking meetings
Retrieve bloodwork results and file in the right chart
Working with different programs
It was a very interesting job which needs to be done as a team as its a very busy enviroment when you work in a hospital
Hardest part will be when we were short stuff as you have to keep the save level of service to the patients
The best part of the job was to see patients getting better and go on with their lifes after recovery
Great salary and benefits but don't become part of management
HR (Former Employee) –  Fraser ValleyFebruary 7, 2015
They like to preach work/life balance and if you are unionized, then generally you have that. If you are part of the management team, you will be expected to run off your feet, spend at least 10 hours a day at work, and rarely see your family. They are micro-managers who like to track you as to when you arrive, when you leave, and where you are no matter how good a job you do. There is no trust even though you are working through your lunch and extra hours to get the work done.

Your own team will have backstabbers - you cannot trust anyone and it is mind-boggling. Fraser Health is not a great place to work. If you must, use it as a stepping stone to another heath authority. PHSA, Providence, and even Vancouver Coastal are all better environments.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Good working environment.
Shift Engineer fourth class/maintenance worker 5 (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCOctober 21, 2012
Power Plant,operation including firing steam boiler, maintaing heating boilers,boiler water analysis,plant maintenance including fan/pump preventitive maintenance/repair/replacement.Chiller operation[up to 30 ton],chiller water tower water testing [corrosion inhibitor /biocide concentrations].I also maintain/repair all of the ice-machines in the hospital.I just passed the required certification for charging/recovering/purchasing refrigerants on oct 13 2012 @ B.C.I.T.. I also have my first year of commercial refrigeration training B.C.I.T. certificate of completion.Management/co-workers all good people. The hardest part of the job is working on equipment that there is no reference material[ maintenance manuals].Also, very little overtime.No advancement.
Pros
good working environment.
Cons
no overtime.no advancement.
Good Company
Lead Hand/Patient Financial Counsellor (Current Employee) –  BCApril 25, 2014
Fraser Health is a great company to work for but the room for advancement is limited. Managing a staff of 6 employees gives me the opportunity to interact with the employees and motivate them to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. Challenges are there in all jobs yet I find it makes my job more interesting to accomplish all tasks making any improvements for the department. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help those around me and the interactions that I encounter daily whether by phone or in person. Management styles are different in all organizations and it is something you adjust to from one organization to another.
Pros
government
Cons
no room for advancement/ no reconition
A great job with big responsibilities
Program Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lower mainland, British ColumbiaDecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work would involve editing time cards, looking over staffing baselines to ensure units can function properly for the days to come, work alongside the short call office and charge nurse to problem solve immediate needs, go over all vacancies and set up orientation, process shift swaps, leave requests and pay outs.

The hardest part of my job is sometimes not being able to give my units the baseline they need to function properly.

The most enjoyable part of my job is building the rapport with my staff and working as a team alongside with them, so they can give the best patient care.
Pros
great teamwork and environment
Cons
not being able to fill my units staffing needs due to zero staff.
Great company to work for,,with full benefits
Water sampler (Current Employee) –  new port village,,Port MoodyJuly 3, 2015
Excellent company to work for,,always cheerful staff and an amazing boss,,I got hurt transfering a patient in 2006 and was not able to go back to my regular job,,Fraser Health was there for me to find another job with-in the company,,I am now a water sampler tester with the enviromental dept of fraser health working Part time..I love my new position but it doesn't feel my need for more hours..I have been a water sampler since 2008 to present..I will be coming up to my ten year mark with the company..
Pros
working independantly
Cons
not enough hours
patient care is utmost
Clerk/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 19, 2013
I dont have a typical day, all are different. I do run audit reports every morning. From then on its phone calls, emails, Etc. Prioritizing workload.
My management team has been great. They will listen to feedback.
Hardest part of my job is some days the frustration levels can get pretty high.

I truely enjoy helping others.
Pros
i get to help all i can help, physicians, units, dr. offices, various departments.
Cons
frustrating at times.
unionized environment can provide opportunities, stability and advancement
Clerk and Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland Fraser Valley, B.C.August 2, 2014
Hospital Clerks typical day:

Medical Secretarial and Clerk

Pull medical charts for patients visit
Scan and Fax reports to other health facilities and programs
Reception at Clinic
Switchboard
Timekeeping
Back up clerk for overload work
Database entry of patient information and health care coverage
Schedule and book appointments
Organize meetings and take minutes
Mail
Pros
great pay, wonderful training programs, can move to various departments and sites
Cons
bumping from position, loosing funds for programs thus jobs
Great team work and fun group of people.
Electronic Instrument Control Tech (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 7, 2014
A typical day includes preventative maintenance, and break down repair of Sterile Processing Department's equipment, Fire Alarm, Patient Wandering, Nurse Call and Pneumatic Tube Systems. As well I am typically called on for my knowlegde of this equipment to consult with any upgrades or changes. I find this very exciting and would like this to always be a part of my Job.
Pros
i work with a great team of people
Cons
the new management is not easy to work with.
demanding
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 3, 2013
Caring for elderly and sick community members is demanding but rewarding. A typical day can be from bathing an elderly gentleman to taking out a young person for a walk in their wheelchair. Management is understanding but also demanding at times. Hardly see co workers as we are one on one in private homes. The hardest part of this job is leaving it at work but most enjoyable to hear someone enthusiastically say THANK YOU as you are leaving.
good place to work
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BCDecember 30, 2014
I learned a lot about institutional cooking as I have worked at 5 Fraser Health Care Facilities in the past 5 years. This has given me extensive knowledge of different equipment and sites.

I enjoyed the challenges of preparing food for various dietary needs.
I particularly like working independently and as part of a team to have meals ready for service hot and on time.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not creative
Medical Health for BC, Canada
Medical Receptionist/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 24, 2014
There are 25,000 people who work for Fraser Health in the Lower Mainland of BC, Canada
Management has highly trained individuals
Most enjoyable part of job is helping the public. I worked in Home Health and Mental Health departments
Co-workers were dedicated to their jobs
Liked working there. I quit there as I moved to New York
I enjoy working in the medical field, I am a "people person" and have skills in the medical field
Pros
paid medical and dental
Lucky to be employeed with Fraser Health.
Staffing Clerk / Program Clerk (Current Employee) –  Royal Columbian Hospital, New WestminsterJuly 9, 2013
I am currently still very new to Fraser Health, but my experience so far has been great. I have dealt with great people, and had amazing co-workers who have help me learn something new every day. Every day can be a struggle with trying to grasp onto the large quanities of work there is to remember, but the support is always helpful and makes each day coming to work enjoyable.
Productive/fun work experience
Minor Test Shopper (MTS) (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCJune 28, 2014
A typical day at work is a lot of travel and talking. I learned how to pay attention to details more, how to stay positive in a workplace, and how to talk to all types of people. My co-workers are very friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a sale but the hardest part is the write-up that comes afterwards.
Pros
good wages, fun work environment
Cons
not a lot of shifts
Great work experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 8, 2016
Long eventful hours that are both engaging and full of learning experiences. Management of patients / workloads was appropriate times. Co-workers were professional and very helpful. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were able to help patients throughout your day.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Limited staff
On the whole, FH is a good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 4, 2015
Average salary and working conditions.
Disorganized after their integration with the individual health units.
I would welcome another opportunity to work at FH if they improve upon their organizational operating structure.
Pros
Large organization.
Cons
Not as organized as they could be overall.