Fraser Health Authority Employee Reviews

Health focused, but no room for advancement
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster and Burnaby, BCMarch 11, 2016
This was just my practicum but from what I hear from my supervisors through Fraser Heath there are many discounts and promotions through local companies such as fitness centers to encourage a healthy lifestyle in their employees. Hospital employees are unionized so there is great job security, however there is limited control of your role in the company. As a MLA there is little room for advancement without further education. Also like any job place, especially one with a primarily female population, there is some workplace gossip/drama.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
little room for advancement
A small workplace but happy working conditions, good environment and steady.
Content Developer for Online Learning Program (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 31, 2016
What you would expect from a government-type position - great working hours with some flexibility, a good pace without impossible deadlines, opportunities to learn and flex creative muscles.
Pros
9-5 without phone calls/emails at home, good compensation.
Cons
Reluctant to give salary/permanent status due to government benefits.
communications (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Good salary, hard working and inspiring people, driven management teams. Challenging work, but good work. You feel good about the company, the people and the projects because they really do their best.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
bureaucratic
Don't waste your time
An outsider looking in (Current Employee) –  B.c.August 15, 2016
If you are looking to work for fraser health maintenance. Do yourself a favour and read the true ratings from the employees of Vancouver Coastal health.I wish I would have read the reviews prior to accepting a job.I couldn't believe what was written but now I totally agree with their points of view. ( Vancouver Coastal Health rate your employer )It's sad to say that in this organization you are a name and a number,being treated like little children with no say.The management has no desire to improve employer/employee relations and have a one track vision for maintenance. The only ones loosing out are the medical staffs and patients, sad be cause this is not what I signed up for.The infastruxture where I work is on the verge of massive failure
Pros
Working with medical staff helping patients
Cons
Toxic environment, bulling managers, reactionary management with poor people skills and poor or no maitaince direction.
Poor management style; not very sophisticated organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 30, 2016
Administrative support role. The workload was comparative to doing two jobs anywhere else - with reactionary and scattered priorities. FH is under-funded and people in many areas are doing the work of more than one person; this is not sustainable. Co-workers are very dis-engaged and unhappy. No room for growth and there is a sense of mediocrity. Was told not to make waves, do as I'm told, and not care so much. High turnover is a sign of issues, but management is not interested in addressing this. Benefits are very good and pay is average compared to other public sector environments. Culturally, people work very hard, but are not provided with engagement opportunities. The organization seems very immature in many ways. Not a place for anyone who has worked in more sophisticated or engaged environments.
Pros
Public sector pay and benefits.
Cons
No value or respect for people; poor engagement and mediocre work standards.
Hard working employees with great team work.
Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 8, 2016
I work in Intensive Care and it's busy, unpredictable and fast paced. I love it, but unfortunately there is no room for advancement in my current role. I work with fantastic staff and management which I am very proud of. It's a very rewarding place to work, tough situations with the acuteness of the unit, but very rewarding most days.
I have learned much about team work, multi tasking, prioritizing, computer and communication skills here.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No room for advancement and not compensated well.
Health Authority
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby BC, CanadaMarch 26, 2016
Fraser Health offers a supportive environment that helps you thrive professionally with:

Sponsorship of formal education
Development programs designed to foster leadership across all professions along with annual performance goal setting and evaluation
A values-based culture that encourages employee recognition and respect in the workplace
A focus on employee health and safety with ergonomic workplaces, safety equipment, flu immunization, health fairs, and PEARS return to work program
Multifaceted communications systems and feedback opportunities
Great salary and benefits but don't become part of management
HR (Former Employee) –  Fraser ValleyFebruary 7, 2015
They like to preach work/life balance and if you are unionized, then generally you have that. If you are part of the management team, you will be expected to run off your feet, spend at least 10 hours a day at work, and rarely see your family. They are micro-managers who like to track you as to when you arrive, when you leave, and where you are no matter how good a job you do. There is no trust even though you are working through your lunch and extra hours to get the work done.

Your own team will have backstabbers - you cannot trust anyone and it is mind-boggling. Fraser Health is not a great place to work. If you must, use it as a stepping stone to another heath authority. PHSA, Providence, and even Vancouver Coastal are all better environments.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Fun, productive and rewarding work environment.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 14, 2016
The more schooling the better financially, however every position is as equally rewarding and sustaining. No matter what your skill or ability level there is opportunity. You really have a sense of being helpful and caring.
Pros
benefits that come with permanent status
Cons
varied hours
On the whole, FH is a good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 4, 2015
Average salary and working conditions.
Disorganized after their integration with the individual health units.
I would welcome another opportunity to work at FH if they improve upon their organizational operating structure.
Pros
Large organization.
Cons
Not as organized as they could be overall.
Whats it's like
Maternal OR Aide (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 31, 2016
A good place to work. They pay a fair wage and the benefits are really good. Long shifts. Co-workers are good people, a diverse group of people. Easy to work with.
Pros
Work with good co workers
Cons
Long commute
Maternity Leave
Treasury Clerk to the Finance Department- Temp (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJune 27, 2016
Queen's Park staff were lovely and FHA is a great organization with wonderful benefits.

Although short lived, it was a great experiences with legalities, account management and financial reconciliations.
Challenges of a Hospital
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed the work taking into consideration patients needs and conditions . I learned a lot of plant operations . my co workers were always helpful and supportive.
Pros
a friendly attmosphere
Cons
Fast paced environment and working with a great team makes this position very enjoyable
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 21, 2016
Arrived ahead of time to set up the clinic
Check your messages and emails
Answering the phones and transfer to the right department or person
Prepared patient before seeing the doctor by completing paperwork
Rebook patient as per doctor's request
Book any special appointments needed for patients as per Doctor's request
Data entry, mail sorting, making and pulling charts
Booking meetings
Retrieve bloodwork results and file in the right chart
Working with different programs
It was a very interesting job which needs to be done as a team as its a very busy enviroment when you work in a hospital
Hardest part will be when we were short stuff as you have to keep the save level of service to the patients
The best part of the job was to see patients getting better and go on with their lifes after recovery
Very productive and an easy place to work
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 6, 2016
Everyone is very professional and sincere about their work. Often the work could be slow and the implementation of the project could be challenging.
good
RPN at Surrey Memorial Hospital (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 24, 2016
Good place to work for stability and diverse workplaces . Good benefits and pay. Find your passion. One of the biggest health authorities. Fraser health is in different cities for flexibility of location
Great work experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 8, 2016
Long eventful hours that are both engaging and full of learning experiences. Management of patients / workloads was appropriate times. Co-workers were professional and very helpful. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were able to help patients throughout your day.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Limited staff
learning to be patient in a fast paced environment
Care Aide but am looking for Cashier job (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMarch 24, 2014
I start work early around 7 am, beginning with bathes and showers, giving medications and personal care. Make some breakfasts for some clients, and spend some time chatting and visiting to make them feel comfortable.
I often learned things about their upbringing, working with those as old as 102 and as young as 40's and learned everyone has a story.
I had to take my orders from management in a direct way and learn to listen carefully.
Working one on one with other workers was very important as we relied on each other to work as a team so things ran smoothly for the client. We learned to finish off what the others left for us and to be constant so were efficient.
Watching people lose their loved ones, especially the spouses and children but it was worthwhile to know you'd made a good difference in caring for their loved one.
Meeting new people and learning about their lives when they were young and what they contributed to our country.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
job security and hours being all over the place
Large health authority
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
This health region covers whole of Alberta with many opportunities, great pay, and competitive benefits. I was fortunate to work for them for 6 years.
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCNovember 26, 2015
Enjoy working here. Great people. Very respectable. Team support. Room for movement and opportunity

I would recommend a career with Fraser Health to anyone pursuing a rewarding career in healthcare.

It is about caring for people not about the numbers
Pros
Great team
Cons
Stressful at times