We are seeking a colleague to join the publishing team of Mindful magazine and mindful.org. Located in Halifax, the Digital Editor will work as an integrated member of the editorial team and the business team with special responsibility for: maintaining and expanding the digital presence of Mindful.org; supporting and extending the print content; developing value-added content on mindful.org and social media; helping to fulfill marketing and promotion goals through digital channels; and, helping to develop a more robust digital presence to fulfill the community-building efforts of the overall Mindful initiative.
The Foundation for a Mindful Society, an independent non-profit located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is the publisher of Mindful magazine and mindful.org. We work closely with the major organizations across North America that are doing the leading work on applying mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices in business, schools and colleges, the military, health care and hospitals, the legal system and more. Our goal is to help support the work that’s being done, create new opportunities by telling the stories and connecting people, and thereby help develop a community that will make mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices a routine part of North American society.
Responsibilities of the Digital Editor include:
- Working with the editor-in-chief and editor to create, write, develop, and manage a regular and steady stream of online content and ensure high visual and multimedia quality across the site;
- Developing and producing online newsletter content;
- Participating in the development and implementation of the Mindful social media strategy for engagement of the international mindfulness audience using Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and mobile
- Tracking and reporting on social media outcomes;
- Remaining current with emerging digital media technologies and strategies and proposing new technologies as warranted;
- Supervising staff and freelance contributors to the digital initiative;
- Help develop the next phase of the Mindful initiative’s digital presence and community-building efforts
Specific Qualities, Skills and Experience:
- 3 years related experience;
- Ambitious, motivated, driven, self-starter and independent worker;
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and desire to be a collaborative team player with ability to work in a dynamic yet thoughtful environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication/reporting skills and web production experience;
- Technical skills: fluency in responsive web design, content management, and social media using Drupal and its equivalents and including monitoring systems; a/v production and editing;
- Passionate about editorial and a belief in the value of good content;
- Proven ability to create compelling stories visually;
- Experience in online editing and content creation with special emphasis on communications including blogging and social media.
The successful applicant will have an understanding of technical aspects of the content management system and the ability to work with developers, designers, and other members of the editorial and business teams. Above all they will bring knowledge of using digital and social media to inform and engage the Mindful online community. An understanding of the mindfulness movement and the Mindful initiative mission is an asset.
Salary range: Full-time permanent position. Salary commensurate with experience. Candidates must already be legally able to work in Canada. (Non-residents may be considered under certain circumstances.)
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter with Digital Editor in the subject line. We hope to have the new Digital Editor in place by mid-June 2013. Submission deadline May 24, 2013.