Position Type: Regular full time after mandatory probation period
Position Location: Thurso, Quebec, (about 30-40 minutes from Gatineau/Ottawa respectively)
Salary Range (annual salary): Fortress Optical Features offers a competitive total compensation package with starting salaries based on education, qualifications and experience ranging between $ 80,000 and $ 110,000 per annum.
Fortress Optical Features (FOF) is a highly regarded specialized manufacturer of security devices for high value documents. Fortress Optical Features is part of the Fortress Paper group of companies listed on the TSX as FTP. Our core competencies are in vacuum deposition to make secure optical thin films for high security applications. Our work and clientele are varied, as is the workplace and challenges. You'll enjoy an open culture and a great work environment that will challenge, energize, and motivate you to excel. Fortress Optical Features offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success.
The R&D Scientist works in a team environment as part of the management group and R & D Group and is responsible for research and development of security features for currency applications. Under the general direction of the Chief Operating Officer, and working closely with FOF team staff the R&D Scientist provides multi-skilled scientific support to our R&D Program projects.
- Recommend, lead, and/or conduct technical and applied scientific research and development related to bank note security features in collaboration with FOF team staff, suppliers, and partners
- Identify and assess emerging materials, optical effects, active materials, polymers, thin-film devices, optically variable materials and inks for potential application in security features for bank notes
- Assess effectiveness and vulnerabilities of bank note security features to identify technical solutions for current and future counterfeiting threats, and recommend improvements
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of developments in the scientific literature to assess vulnerabilities of bank note designs and security features
- Identify potential new intellectual property and work with team members to draft patent applications
- PhD in physical sciences (with a specialization in materials science, optical thin films chemistry, physics or optics) with five or more years of industrial or applied experience
- Masters in physical sciences (with a specialization in materials science, optical thin films chemistry, physics or optics) with 10-15 years of industrial or applied experience
- demonstrated broad knowledge in a relevant scientific field, e.g., materials science, optical thin films, chemistry, physics, polymer chemistry or optics
- demonstrated experience in handling R & D projects from inception through to industrialization
- broad project management experience with ability to foresee requirements and anticipate issues to bring R&D and other projects to completion in a timely manner
- demonstrated thorough understanding of the patent/intellectual property process with experience in writing, filing and obtaining patents
- highly developed and demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- ability to bring a wide range of considerations and perspectives to issues and to ensure that careful analysis is a precondition of decision making
- ability to identify information needed to clarify a situation, and ability to tackle problems using a logical, systematic, and sequential approach
- strong ability to apply knowledge and understanding of technical fields related to bank notes (e.g., chemistry or physics) to be able to identify novel concepts for new bank note security features, conduct the research necessary to create bank note security features from concept to final production
- ability to think innovatively, remove constraints, experiment and take calculated risks, monitor results, and adapt as needed
- excellence in developing, facilitating, and strengthening partnerships with industry contacts and with internal and/or external scientific/technical colleagues who can provide information, assistance, and support
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster collaborative working relationships among internal teams and external colleagues
- ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, under tight deadlines
- strong ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing and make presentations to a wide range of audiences, with the ability to adapt content and style to various audiences
- proficiency in use of computer applications, including word processing, graphic applications, spreadsheets, and databases
- Knowledge of and experience in bank note design and production
- Knowledge optical thin film manufacturing
- Previous experience in an ISO certified work environment
- Ability to communicate in both official languages
- Printing experience
- Lab experience
If you are a qualified candidate, please submit a detailed résumé including samples of your reporting, publications, and a covering letter outlining your experience and how you have met the requirements, at your earliest convenience.
- Condition of employment: Candidate must be eligible for Secret level security clearance and credit check. General Police clearance is required for interview candidates.
- We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified men and women, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
- Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
Indeed - 5 months ago
copy to clipboard
Fortress Optical Features (FOF) is a highly regarded specialized manufacturer of security devices for high value documents. Fortress...