FOF Conversion Operator Position
Position Type: Regular full time after mandatory probation period
Position Location: Thurso, Quebec, (about 30-40 minutes from Gatineau/Ottawa respectively)
Salary Range (annual salary): Fortress Optical Features offers a competitive total compensation package with starting salaries based on qualifications ranging between $ 45,000 and $ 52,000.
Fortress Optical Features (FOF) is a highly regarded specialized manufacturer of security devices for high value documents. Fortress Optical Features is part of the Fortress Paper group of companies listed on the TSX as FTP. Our core competencies are in vacuum deposition to make secure optical thin films for high security applications. Our work and clientele are varied, as is the workplace and challenges. You'll enjoy an open culture and a great work environment that will challenge, energize, and motivate you to excel. Fortress Optical Features offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success.
The Conversion Operator works in a team environment as part of the production group and is responsible for the converting and quality control of optical thin films for commercial clients. Under the general direction of the Production Manager, the Conversion Operator provides multi-skilled conversion services including material aging, quality inspection, editing and packaging to our exacting production tolerances.
- Operates the web & ribbon conversion equipment including material aging, colour measurement, machine vision inspection, colour & defect editing, splicing and reporting & packaging
- Constantly monitors the material in conversion assessing adherence to stringent specifications and processing the material to meet these specifications
- Performs basic troubleshooting, repairs and maintenance on the conversion equipment
- Provides Quality control services including testing on process raw materials, production product and reporting
- Provides very high attention to detail on conversion activities, record keeping and material accountability
- Participates in team discussions for managing the team's short term goals, provides detailed knowledge on conversion operations
- Performs data gathering and basic report generation
- Performs some inventory reconciliation work with the team analyst
- Educational requirements: Technician or Technologist or demonstrated equivalent years of work experience
- Basic understanding of mechanical/electrical/machine operation fundamentals
- Experience with computerized control systems
- Ability to communicate in both official languages
- Must be able to do shift work.
- Ability to be flexible with changing priorities, to be self-motivated and to take initiative
- Basic computer skills with the following software: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working around machinery
- Demonstrated self-starter
- Demonstrated high attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to plan and organize work efficiently and effectively
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Experience in mechanical, electrical, electronics, or similar technical area
- Previous experience in an ISO certified work environment
- Welding, machine shop, fabrication, electrical, plumbing or similar experience
- Printing experience
- Lab experience
- WHMIS knowledge and chemical handling experience
If you are a qualified candidate, please submit a detailed résumé and a covering letter at your earliest convenience. We will also ask you to complete a mandatory questionnaire during the application process.
- Condition of employment: Candidate must be eligible for Secret level security clearance
- We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified men and women, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
- Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted