We are seeking a Journeyman Power Line Technician in this area; however, should there be no qualified Journeyman applicants (Internal or External), we may consider hiring an Apprentice.
DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Area Manager the Journeyman Power Line Technician is responsible for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the electric distribution system. The Apprentice Power Line Technician will complete the four-year apprenticeship. The Apprentice Power Line Technician will be provided with in-house and on-the-job apprentice training in an effort to achieve Journeyman status. Under direct supervision, the Apprentice will learn how to construct, operate and maintain the electric distribution system.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
- Work safely in accordance with safety practice regulations and procedures.
- Construct, maintain, repair, or troubleshoot the electric distribution system (both overhead and underground).
- Perform live line work.
- Draft switching plans and perform switching.
- Perform power line inspection patrols.
- Provide quick and courteous customer service for trouble calls or power interruptions.
- Mentor apprentices and other team members.
- Participate in a regular standby rotation.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven ability to both lead and work within a team environment; this includes leading by example in promoting and applying safe work practices.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal customers and team members; this includes good communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a part of a team or independently as an individual contributor.
- Good organizational and time management skills, able to manage numerous projects and competing demands.
- Demonstrated commitment to workplace safety and safe work practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Journeyman Power Line Technician Applicants must have:
- Must have a Journeyman Power Line Technician ticket
- Must have an Alberta Motor Vehicle class 3 or 1 with an air endorsement
- Knowledge of basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Outlook, etc.)
Apprentice Candidates must have:
- A Grade 12 Diploma with Grade 12 Math and Grade 12 English
- Must obtain an Alberta Motor Vehicle class 3 driver’s license (with air endorsement) within the first six months of employment. Must possess a valid Alberta Motor Vehicle driver’s license. (Minimum class 5).
- Previous experience in an electrical technical field or other related experience will be considered an asset.
- Business needs dictate that you must live within thirty (30) kilometers of the assigned service point office or a distance that allows a maximum twenty (20) minute response time to the assigned service point office.
- All successful candidates will be required to produce a current driver's abstract and will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Participation in after hours and weekend standby rotation is required.
- Participation on a construction crew is required.
- Travel away from home overnight may be required.
Application Deadline: September 12, 2014
LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Please apply thru our website at: www.fortisalberta.com Go to Careers/Current Openings/View All Jobs. Click on the "Submit your Resume to this job" link.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those external candidates to be considered for an interview will be contacted. All internal candidates will be notified.
WHO WE ARE:
As owner and operator of more than 60 per cent of Alberta’s total electricity distribution network, FortisAlberta’s focus is delivering safe and reliable electricity to more than half a million residential, farm and business customers. The Company serves more than 200 communities with 118,000 kilometres of distribution power lines across Alberta.
Consent to Use Your Submitted Information: When you apply for a position with FortisAlberta Inc. and/or provide your resume to us, we may use or disclose the information that you provide to determine your suitability for specific positions or future employment opportunities with FortisAlberta, to confirm your work history or qualifications, and to contact any references that you have provided with your resume or elsewhere in your application. In certain circumstances, we may be required to use or disclose your information in the manner that we have described. By providing your information to FortisAlberta we assume that you have consented to such activities. For further information, please refer to the FortisAlberta Privacy Policies (available at www.fortisalberta.com) .