Fortinos Employee Reviews

Extremely busy work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 November 2017
Being a cashier has taught me customer service skills more than anything. I have learned to accept that the customer is always right, even when they are wrong. I must help the customer as much as i can so they leave satisfied. Grocery stores are very busy and I learned how to work at a fast pace. Hardest part would be when I had long line ups during the holiday seasons and clients would be frustrated. The most enjoyable part was making small talk and making their days brighter.
Pros
One on one conversations with clients
Cons
repetitive
Always good reviews.
Seafood department (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 November 2017
This company since it is my own, a typical day would be one or two houses to clean. I either use my own products which are always safe for the environment or if the customer.er prefers their own products, that's exactly what they receive. I also accept anything they would like to add on top of the basics, and I always make sure customers are 100% satisfied with the work I do for them.
Not great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 November 2017
With Fortinos, you pay an excessive amount of $ in Union Dues that don't apply to you for 5 years till you access benefits. So if you are part time and paying union dues, there is no point. You give an extra at least $20 off every pay check.

Management is also not great. Many managers are unhappy and rude, not genuine or approachable.

No discounts on food or anything.

You clock in and out, but in the end that doesn't matter because it gets run by the bookkeeper and they decide your pay, not the clock.

Unless you're 18, you do not get minimum wage, and the raises are tiny, 10 cents and up.
Pros
Free Birthday Cake
Cons
Bad pay
Busy environment with lots of responsibility
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 November 2017
This job is good for people who want to do nothing more than work and serve customers. Well suited for artistic people. It is very fast paced and detail oriented
Pros
1 Free 15 minute break
Cons
Always work 30 minutes after close with no pay and only one break
High end grocery store known for it's fresh foods and outstanding customer service
SEAFOOD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON1 November 2017
A day at work, I would open the department and set up all the fresh product and discard any that do not reach quality standards. Serve customers with a kind, friendly and knowledgeable approach to ensure customer satisfaction and a successful sale. Paperwork would be done daily, including logs, inventory roll weekly, proper ordering and receiving practices when needed. Delegate and lead staff to ensure proper procedures are executed throughout the day. This job taught me great customer service skills, how to produce successful work under pressure in a timely manner and how to be confident and take pride in the product you are selling. I got along with management and they were always supportive of my success.
The hardest part of the job would be satisfying a difficult customer, but at the same time, it is the most rewarding part when I succeed, knowing that they will come back to the business.
Pros
Friendly environment
Was Fun and Fast
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON1 November 2017
-Work wasn't to hard
-Get in early in the day
-Set up
-Upkeep
-Clean up
-Go home
how an average day was was fast pace and never to stressful or challenging. Everyone was fun to be around but people worked over each other Due to space in the back but other than that it was great
learning environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2017
I learned about costumer service skills and meeting with new people. I gained time management skills and stronger communication skills. overall it was a learning experience.
decent place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 October 2017
great part time job for students, hard to get full-time but if you do the pay is pretty good. Managers are also paid pretty well, but have a heavy workload and tend to work a lot of over time. They do however provide benefits and other perks. I enjoyed working here and meeting a whole ray of different people from day to day. Overall good place to work!
Bad management
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Uppermiddle/guelpline,Burlington22 October 2017
Unorganized management do not provide orientation
,proper paperwork to be signed,dated.Managers watch you like a hawk and if they dont want you there will fabricate some story about you thats not true so you will quit.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
Cons
Staggered shifts, low weekly hours, store manager
Challenging but fair
Baker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2017
This was one of the hardest jobs I've done but the company tries to be very fair with their employees and give them lots of opportunities. This company is also very good about pay increases.

Want to know more about Fortinos?

Ask a question
getting to know where things belong
health and beauty (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
getting use to the environment and getting to know everyone and also trying not to make mistakes and doing everything right and in order where they belong.
Cons
15 minutes break
Well organized and maintained company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 October 2017
They have really good communication skills with employees, but are very strict when it comes to the workload. You can be on your feet for 6 hours and only get 1 15 minute break which is basically only 10 minutes after the time it takes to punch out and punch in. They treat you like a slave here but have good management skills.
Pros
opportunity for advancemet
Cons
long hours + short breaks, strict rules and dress code, feel like a slave here
fortinos
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 October 2017
I've been working there for a year now, its a great job, sometimes its really busy but only really when there is a holiday. I got to meet some great people, I met my bet friend there.
Pros
not very busy
Productive and flexible.
Front end cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 September 2017
A typical day working within Fortinos consisted of a need for genuine customer service and care. To provide for your customers a quality level of satisfaction.
decent place to work
Pizza Dept Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 September 2017
the job was pretty enjoyable at times, i found that the pay was low, even after being there for 2 years my pay wasnever increased beyond what the current student rate was at the time. ( 9.60$/H )
Pros
people i worked with were nice
Cons
low pay no benifits.
productive and fun workplace
Lawrence Square - Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2017
Fortinos is a positive environment to be working in. They are flexible on hours and the staff are very friendly. I enjoyed going to work and looked forward to my shifts
Overall it's a good place to work!
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 September 2017
Salary can be good but they require lots of work and dedication. It's definitely a place that you can grow in even if it means you start off with a commute!
Pros
Fun place to work with great people
Cons
No discounts
fast paced environment.
General merchandise/ Health and beauty Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 September 2017
Working at Fortinos has taught me a lot. It make me understand the financial part of the business.
By learning the financial part it made me want to continue in the position but show how my learning skills can help another company.
over the two years that i have been in this position, everyday i have learned something new.
Great workers
MEAL PREPERATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 September 2017
I loved the customers the most at fortinos, they were all so sweet and funny. Everyday I enjoyed waiting on the customers the most, as well as my co workers.
nice place to be
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 September 2017
A safe and friendly environment in the bakery department. Kind caring manager with lots of lenience and flexibility. It was a pleasure to work in this department.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing