Fort McKay Group of Companies Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Cover Letter
Chief Administration Officer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: felxible hours
Cons: poor communication
Dear Human Resources Representative,
Please accept my resume in competition for the position mentioned.
Over the past 15+ years I have worked all over the country in many high level positions, graduating
from one management level to another. I have personally and professionally developed many
individuals to become successes in their craft, trade or management. I believe in people and that
everyone has something to offer, I have always enhanced strengths and built on weaknesses to
make well rounded professionals.
One of the most valuable things I have learned over the years is keep educating one self, whether
it reading an article, joining peer societies or taking formal classes, I have also found that it can be
infectious once someone takes the lead and promotes continuous learning to everyone. My
personality allows others to buy into me and I have always treated everyone fairly.
I have many strengths however the most valuable one I have in conjunction to my education and
experience is adaptability. Nothing seems to take be by surprise anymore as I have very strong
problem solving skills to work through any situation that is given to me.
I have been a successful Naval Architect in the ship building industry and I understand the
pressures that operations feel as I participated with them on completing many projects with very
strict schedules and budgets. What I was able to offer each of the employers I worked for were
many cost / time saving techniques using principles such as streamlining, lean management and
quality to enhance product, schedule and always meet the budgetary – more... requirements.
I am a great manager of people as my soft management skills are just as strong as my hard
management skills. I realize that the whole person is coming to work and that their personal lives
are affecting their professional jobs just as much as a project schedule or budget would. I have
helped many people regain focus and balance their home and work lives.
Many organizational employees, either direct reports or not, always seem to know who I am
regardless of the size of the company as being one of exceptional organizational skills and an
added value to their company. I am very impressed with the relationships that I still have today
with many of the workers that I have encountered in the past.
You will find me very professional, light hearted and easy to get along with however I am also
very thorough in my thoughts and extremely meticulous with my reports. My leadership style
allows for the expression of the teams thoughts and ideas while not being afraid to make a decision
regarding the direction of the company.
My family and I are strong believers in Fort McMurray and we want to stay here for the rest of our
careers however I would like to become a part of the team that is developing the skills that are
needed in the region.
It can be difficult to gauge one’s character through a resume however if you would like to contact
me so we can speak about my relevant experience / education and my belief in continuous learning,
I am available at your leisure.
Sincerely,
_________________________
Greg Tilley, CRSP, PTech – less
Good learning experience Good people and environment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Muskeg River MIne Shell Albian SandsNovember 18, 2013
Pros: camp/pitstop
Cons: bad shift layout
Typical day
-get proper PPE, sign in name, grab FLRA&mine layout map, get on the shift bus and dropped off at truck,follow tell-amine for instruction on shovel and dump location.
-if on special operation(Hot change/Mud farming/Hauling sand) get proper PPE, grab FLRA&mine layout map, talk to team lead for instruction, toolbox/safety meeting, get dropped off at truck and proceed with team leads instructions.(keep track of load count)
-two 25 minute breaks in a 12 hour shift
-Do walk around if assigned by tell-amine or the opportunity to do so arose ex:waiting in shovel pit in safe area,finished lunch before break is over. Fill out log book in truck.
-When shift change is called park in a safe place on level ground with proper spacing between other haul trucks and intersections, lockout truck and follow procedure apply park break turn hazard lights on, log off tell-amine, turn ladder lights on, disembark haul truck put chain/boarding sign on and lockout transmission neutralizer.
- Board shift bus back to dry/lay-down.
Learned
-Good communication skills
-Time management, be efficient ex:if waiting to be loaded in shovel pit fill out FLRA/do walk-around if in safe place to do so.
-How to operate 797&785 cat haul trucks, operating techniques ex: positioning, loading, VIMS, re-weighing on level ground to not get overloads,driving on good ground avoid soft spots and ruble/sharp rocks.
-IF YOUR NOT SURE ASK(co-worker or team lead).
-Getting proper sleep is important.
-Stay calm and collective, scan area's be aware of surrounding,straddle your ruts.
N/A
Co-workers
-Very helpful – more... and nice work environment
Hardest part of job
-Changing from days to nights and shifts were constantly changing rough on body for sleep schedule.
Most enjoyable
-Learning new skills, gaining confidence driving and a good paycheck. – less
It gave me the platform to better my career
Certified Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 3, 2013
Pros: holidays and birthdays, and goodbyes
Cons: hours were ok, 12 hours
It was fun and challenging.I have learnt so many things like safety,how important it is in a work place and how valuable an employee is to the company and that hard work pays.Management are always willing to motivate workers into being better valuable individuals.I had such good experience with my co-workers,everyday was different,we made our job more interesting and a home to look forward to going to,we were like family,but just like in each and every family,there would be misunderstandings and we always found a way to work things through and tolerated each other.The hardest part was when we got switched over and other people getting better opportunity and i did not and change was the most challenging part,especialy when it did not favour me and finally getting laid off first.The most enjoyable part was the Tool box meeting when we talk about what we were gonna do that day!Safety rules and everyone participating and sharing about their challenges on the day,and ofcourse the pay was good and fruitful,wish I could have stayed
my day at work
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 10, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: no double time after 8 hours
I start my day off at work by doing our toolbox talk safety is number one. After we are finished the toolbox talk in the morning we go off with the people we are teamed up with for the day and start our route for the day. Which is picking up the used coveralls and after doing so we scanned them and then they get picked up by the company that cleans them ; then they drop off the clean coveralls. After the clean ones are dropped off our team begins sorting them into their sizes and then we distribute them through out the site. what i have learned from this job is how to problem solve and how to get the job done on a tight schedule. the thing I enjoy most about working were i am at now is my co-workers i love to get to know people and learning how to work with others. the hardest part about my job would be the repetitive movement its constant bending and twisting.
This company lost more than a few projects to other subcontractors due to poor planning and not having the right equipment for the project at hand.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 7, 2015
Gave me an opportunity to work in the oilsands. I heard that this was the company to work for 3 or 4 years ago. No more profit sharing or LOA. I worked with a great group of people while I was there and enjoyed my time working for FMGOC.
great workplace to be apart of. would always be learning something new
General Laborer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers, get to learn new things
Cons: long hours
i would have to say that working at a companines takes focus and a level of maturity. being comfortable talking to your coworkers can also help make an experience better. i would say the best thing about this job is always getting to learn something new.
Amazing company
HEO/On-boarder/Maintenance and HSE Admin (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Perfect company to work for
Cons: Lay-offs were always a worry
Everyone, including CEO and managers, always had time to sit down with you and explain and answer questions without hesitation
Very welcoming atmosphere
Everyone worked as a team
Every day was fun and exciting
Always had the opportunity to move up and achieve goals
Excellent front line but shaky upper management
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: benefits and salary were tops.
Cons: poor structure at the very top made it hard on everyone.
Co-workers are great people. Management was constantly changing which made it hard for middle management, that was the hardest part. Most enjoyable was working with the front line teams.
unsecure
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), fort mcmurray albertaMarch 21, 2015
not sure if working day to day
low morel
lowest paying company in area
micro management team leads and GF
very few natives in any management positions ...for a native company that's sad
wrong people in management most are there for fast cash and don't care about company future
Enjoyable Place to Work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 27, 2012
Pros: benefits, vacations
Cons: traffic to and from work
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of my job, I given the opportunity to be trained in many different functions of the HR Department. The hardest part of my job was leaving and moving back East.
ok
General Foreman (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2015
to disorganized company, money in the company wasted or lost through bad management. worst part is the company has not reinvested any money back into company. very poor at dealing with bad management and getting rid of them. that is why that company will never succeed.
under paid and over worked
Labourer (Current Employee), fort mcmurray albertaFebruary 17, 2013
Cons: long hours no days off and bad wage
if it wasnt for my forman becoming my best friend i would of left that place a long time ago you have absolutely no space to grow as a employee and are treated with very little respect. also the wages are a robbery
Heavy Equipment Operator (HEO)
Operator CAT 789/ 797 (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 13, 2013
Love the job as a Heavy Hauler Operator, my favorite job in life, this is the best job anyone could ever have, as co-works and management are the best kind, i enjoy climbing into and operating the biggest equipment in the world.
Admin Assistant
Admin. Assitant to GM Mine Operations (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 28, 2014
No job security - here today gone tomorrow
No communication
Management all power hungry
**Direct supervisor very good to work for but hands tied by upper management**
A lot of work place bullying and harassement
great company to work for
Labourer (Current Employee), fort mcmurray albertaFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: good supervisors
Cons: hired too many people and ot is limited
wages are extremely good for the work we do and work in general will never become stressful. i have nothing but good things to say about this company
Opportunity to learn new skills
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2015
Pros: Union based
Cons: Favoritism heavily practiced
Overall, it is a secure job environment, but there is too much favoritism practiced when position placement and advancement opportunities arise.
good experience
Rock Truck Driver (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Safety Training
Cons: night shift
good workers, committed, strong ethnical hiring practice, safety orientated company training programs, communicate with all personal and community involvement.
Amazing and positive plave to work
Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 26, 2014
Pros: great supervisors, great lunch time and free drinks in case of
Cons: long paid hours but i loved it.
Great place to work and the workload is very light.
Amazing co-workers
Management is great
A team oriented environment
Heavy Equipment Operator/Acting Tech/Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray ABApril 9, 2015
Fun, operating haul trucks: CAT 797B 797F, 793D, 793F, 789D, 785D, 777D, 777F, 773F. Electric haul Trucks: Komatsu 930E, Hitachi EH 500, Liebherr T282.
A very busy place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 29, 2015
A very busy and fast environment to work in but the staff and management were informative and clear directions were given in regards to deadlines