Fort McKay Group of Companies Employee Reviews

Great place to work n friendly management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Worked at jack pine, syncrude, and mrm sites11 July 2017
I worked for fort MacKay as my other family members till the layoffs n transfers .Overall it's a great place to work ...I would love to go back and work here again .. it's a great place to work ..
Pros
They have a great work schedule
Cons
There is no negative things to say
not recommended
WAREHOUSE/PARTS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 June 2017
All you hear is hot air from management. They gets er done is the common saying by team leads even though it is the people at ground level doing all of the work.
Summer Student Job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 May 2017
For the first 3 weeks, I didn't really know what I was supposed to be doing. Neither did the people I was working with. So i just ended up asking people if they needed help for the time I was working there. Great pay, and a relaxed place, I was never rushed to get anything done.
Pros
Great pay, Long weekends
Cons
Driving out and back into town.
Good Company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 May 2017
Great safety culture. Good Management. Clean equipment. Room for advancement if interested. overtime available. good group of employees to work with...
Really great bunch of people to work with
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 March 2017
Good company but it's the people that make it great. Didn't get to work there long due to Shell selling out to CNRL. I'd definitely work there again. No complaints from my experience there.
A fast paced environment.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 December 2016
The job is extremely busy and everyone works together well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my coworkers.
Tight deadlines are challenging but are met.
Pros
Cons
Reduction of wages & LOA.
good company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 August 2016
great people to work for. I was laid off when the fires happened and I wasn't brought back. Great benefits, great shift, great hours
this company has good system for eployees
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 July 2016
My last shift was 6 days on 6 dsys off, but It depends on positions. while I was working I didn't learn anything from the company. Training system isn't good, but Salary is not bed. Working Safety is good. Specially I like all my co-workers. so I was happy.
Pros
6 days on 6 days off. good safety systems.
Cons
Fun, safe place to work. Employee is number asset.
930-E Haul Truck (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 June 2016
Busy, fast pace with a high emphases on safety. Very understanding company to work for as I had a major family emergency and had to return home. They held my job for a couple of months, but unfortunately I was not able to return. I have nothing but positive words for this company.
was happy at first but things changed
MRM 797 Team Leader/Supervisor, Shell Albian Sands (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray7 February 2016
initially i was happy with my employment at Fort Mckay but after the downfall of the economy things changed within the company that made it not so pleasant a place to work
Pros
good fellow employees
Cons
bad management
I loved my job and was very disappointed to have been laid-off due to a shortage of work. I'm very enthusiastic about returning as an operator.
Heavy Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray2 December 2015
It was a wonderful experience, which I loved doing and can't wait to return too. I would highly recommend others to look into this field of work. I found it truly rewarding.
Pros
I loved the shift work, as it was 6 days on 6 days off. plenty of time with my family.
Cons
Although they were long hours, It was awesome to be making a difference at work.
A very busy place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 October 2015
A very busy and fast environment to work in but the staff and management were informative and clear directions were given in regards to deadlines
Amazing company
HEO/On-boarder/Maintenance and HSE Admin (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray18 October 2015
Everyone, including CEO and managers, always had time to sit down with you and explain and answer questions without hesitation
Very welcoming atmosphere
Everyone worked as a team
Every day was fun and exciting
Always had the opportunity to move up and achieve goals
Pros
Perfect company to work for
Cons
Lay-offs were always a worry
ok
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 September 2015
to disorganized company, money in the company wasted or lost through bad management. worst part is the company has not reinvested any money back into company. very poor at dealing with bad management and getting rid of them. that is why that company will never succeed.
good experience
Rock Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 July 2015
good workers, committed, strong ethnical hiring practice, safety orientated company training programs, communicate with all personal and community involvement.
Pros
Safety Training
Cons
night shift
Opportunity to learn new skills
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2015
Overall, it is a secure job environment, but there is too much favoritism practiced when position placement and advancement opportunities arise.
Pros
Union based
Cons
Favoritism heavily practiced
Great company
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 April 2015
A good company to work with, a great opportunity to learn and expand my knowledge. A great team to work with and learn from.
A team oriented environment
Heavy Equipment Operator/Acting Tech/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray AB9 April 2015
Fun, operating haul trucks: CAT 797B 797F, 793D, 793F, 789D, 785D, 777D, 777F, 773F. Electric haul Trucks: Komatsu 930E, Hitachi EH 500, Liebherr T282.
This company lost more than a few projects to other subcontractors due to poor planning and not having the right equipment for the project at hand.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 April 2015
Gave me an opportunity to work in the oilsands. I heard that this was the company to work for 3 or 4 years ago. No more profit sharing or LOA. I worked with a great group of people while I was there and enjoyed my time working for FMGOC.
unsecure
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray alberta21 March 2015
not sure if working day to day
low morel
lowest paying company in area
micro management team leads and GF
very few natives in any management positions ...for a native company that's sad
wrong people in management most are there for fast cash and don't care about company future