Fort McKay Group of Companies Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
was happy at first but things changed
MRM 797 Team Leader/Supervisor, Shell Albian Sands (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: good fellow employees
Cons: bad management
initially i was happy with my employment at Fort Mckay but after the downfall of the economy things changed within the company that made it not so pleasant a place to work
I loved my job and was very disappointed to have been laid-off due to a shortage of work. I'm very enthusiastic about returning as an operator.
Heavy Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayDecember 2, 2015
Pros: I loved the shift work, as it was 6 days on 6 days off. plenty of time with my family.
Cons: Although they were long hours, It was awesome to be making a difference at work.
It was a wonderful experience, which I loved doing and can't wait to return too. I would highly recommend others to look into this field of work. I found it truly rewarding.
Amazing company
HEO/On-boarder/Maintenance and HSE Admin (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Perfect company to work for
Cons: Lay-offs were always a worry
Everyone, including CEO and managers, always had time to sit down with you and explain and answer questions without hesitation
Very welcoming atmosphere
Everyone worked as a team
Every day was fun and exciting
Always had the opportunity to move up and achieve goals
ok
General Foreman (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2015
to disorganized company, money in the company wasted or lost through bad management. worst part is the company has not reinvested any money back into company. very poor at dealing with bad management and getting rid of them. that is why that company will never succeed.
good experience
Rock Truck Driver (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Safety Training
Cons: night shift
good workers, committed, strong ethnical hiring practice, safety orientated company training programs, communicate with all personal and community involvement.
Opportunity to learn new skills
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2015
Pros: Union based
Cons: Favoritism heavily practiced
Overall, it is a secure job environment, but there is too much favoritism practiced when position placement and advancement opportunities arise.
Great company
Safety Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 15, 2015
A good company to work with, a great opportunity to learn and expand my knowledge. A great team to work with and learn from.
A team oriented environment
Heavy Equipment Operator/Acting Tech/Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray ABApril 9, 2015
Fun, operating haul trucks: CAT 797B 797F, 793D, 793F, 789D, 785D, 777D, 777F, 773F. Electric haul Trucks: Komatsu 930E, Hitachi EH 500, Liebherr T282.
This company lost more than a few projects to other subcontractors due to poor planning and not having the right equipment for the project at hand.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 7, 2015
Gave me an opportunity to work in the oilsands. I heard that this was the company to work for 3 or 4 years ago. No more profit sharing or LOA. I worked with a great group of people while I was there and enjoyed my time working for FMGOC.
unsecure
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), fort mcmurray albertaMarch 21, 2015
not sure if working day to day
low morel
lowest paying company in area
micro management team leads and GF
very few natives in any management positions ...for a native company that's sad
wrong people in management most are there for fast cash and don't care about company future
great workplace to be apart of. would always be learning something new
General Laborer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers, get to learn new things
Cons: long hours
i would have to say that working at a companines takes focus and a level of maturity. being comfortable talking to your coworkers can also help make an experience better. i would say the best thing about this job is always getting to learn something new.
productive
HEO (Former Employee), fort mcMurrayFebruary 24, 2015
12 hour day

review safety practice
preform walk around on equipment
receive task list
preform tasks safely and efficiently
my day at work
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 10, 2014
Pros: the benefits
Cons: no double time after 8 hours
I start my day off at work by doing our toolbox talk safety is number one. After we are finished the toolbox talk in the morning we go off with the people we are teamed up with for the day and start our route for the day. Which is picking up the used coveralls and after doing so we scanned them and then they get picked up by the company that cleans them ; then they drop off the clean coveralls. After the clean ones are dropped off our team begins sorting them into their sizes and then we distribute them through out the site. what i have learned from this job is how to problem solve and how to get the job done on a tight schedule. the thing I enjoy most about working were i am at now is my co-workers i love to get to know people and learning how to work with others. the hardest part about my job would be the repetitive movement its constant bending and twisting.
Amazing and positive plave to work
Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 26, 2014
Pros: great supervisors, great lunch time and free drinks in case of
Cons: long paid hours but i loved it.
Great place to work and the workload is very light.
Amazing co-workers
Management is great
Good place to get site experience
Laborer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 26, 2014
Shovel snow in rotating areas of responsibility. work depends on the weather.
Business Development and Marketing Coordinator
Business Development & Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 13, 2014
I enjoy a challenging work atmosphere and opportunity to advance within the company I work for.
Admin Assistant
Admin. Assitant to GM Mine Operations (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 28, 2014
No job security - here today gone tomorrow
No communication
Management all power hungry
**Direct supervisor very good to work for but hands tied by upper management**
A lot of work place bullying and harassement
Fun, upbeat place to work
General Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 26, 2014
Enjoyable place to work. Friendly staff and good organization.
Cover Letter
Chief Administration Officer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: felxible hours
Cons: poor communication
Dear Human Resources Representative,
Please accept my resume in competition for the position mentioned.
Over the past 15+ years I have worked all over the country in many high level positions, graduating
from one management level to another. I have personally and professionally developed many
individuals to become successes in their craft, trade or management. I believe in people and that
everyone has something to offer, I have always enhanced strengths and built on weaknesses to
make well rounded professionals.
One of the most valuable things I have learned over the years is keep educating one self, whether
it reading an article, joining peer societies or taking formal classes, I have also found that it can be
infectious once someone takes the lead and promotes continuous learning to everyone. My
personality allows others to buy into me and I have always treated everyone fairly.
I have many strengths however the most valuable one I have in conjunction to my education and
experience is adaptability. Nothing seems to take be by surprise anymore as I have very strong
problem solving skills to work through any situation that is given to me.
I have been a successful Naval Architect in the ship building industry and I understand the
pressures that operations feel as I participated with them on completing many projects with very
strict schedules and budgets. What I was able to offer each of the employers I worked for were
many cost / time saving techniques using principles such as streamlining, lean management and
quality to enhance product, schedule and always meet the budgetary – more... requirements.
I am a great manager of people as my soft management skills are just as strong as my hard
management skills. I realize that the whole person is coming to work and that their personal lives
are affecting their professional jobs just as much as a project schedule or budget would. I have
helped many people regain focus and balance their home and work lives.
Many organizational employees, either direct reports or not, always seem to know who I am
regardless of the size of the company as being one of exceptional organizational skills and an
added value to their company. I am very impressed with the relationships that I still have today
with many of the workers that I have encountered in the past.
You will find me very professional, light hearted and easy to get along with however I am also
very thorough in my thoughts and extremely meticulous with my reports. My leadership style
allows for the expression of the teams thoughts and ideas while not being afraid to make a decision
regarding the direction of the company.
My family and I are strong believers in Fort McMurray and we want to stay here for the rest of our
careers however I would like to become a part of the team that is developing the skills that are
needed in the region.
It can be difficult to gauge one’s character through a resume however if you would like to contact
me so we can speak about my relevant experience / education and my belief in continuous learning,
I am available at your leisure.
Sincerely,
_________________________
Greg Tilley, CRSP, PTech – less
Muskeg Project
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort McKay, ABJanuary 12, 2014
Hauling muskeg to dumpsite - work independently yet co-workers friendly and focused.