Fort McKay Group of Companies Employee Reviews in Canada

was happy at first but things changed
MRM 797 Team Leader/Supervisor, Shell Albian Sands (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayFebruary 7, 2016
initially i was happy with my employment at Fort Mckay but after the downfall of the economy things changed within the company that made it not so pleasant a place to work
Pros
good fellow employees
Cons
bad management
I loved my job and was very disappointed to have been laid-off due to a shortage of work. I'm very enthusiastic about returning as an operator.
Heavy Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayDecember 2, 2015
It was a wonderful experience, which I loved doing and can't wait to return too. I would highly recommend others to look into this field of work. I found it truly rewarding.
Pros
I loved the shift work, as it was 6 days on 6 days off. plenty of time with my family.
Cons
Although they were long hours, It was awesome to be making a difference at work.
this company has good system for eployees
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 12, 2016
My last shift was 6 days on 6 dsys off, but It depends on positions. while I was working I didn't learn anything from the company. Training system isn't good, but Salary is not bed. Working Safety is good. Specially I like all my co-workers. so I was happy.
Pros
6 days on 6 days off. good safety systems.
Cons
Fun, safe place to work. Employee is number asset.
930-E Haul Truck (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 20, 2016
Busy, fast pace with a high emphases on safety. Very understanding company to work for as I had a major family emergency and had to return home. They held my job for a couple of months, but unfortunately I was not able to return. I have nothing but positive words for this company.
Amazing company
HEO/On-boarder/Maintenance and HSE Admin (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayOctober 18, 2015
Everyone, including CEO and managers, always had time to sit down with you and explain and answer questions without hesitation
Very welcoming atmosphere
Everyone worked as a team
Every day was fun and exciting
Always had the opportunity to move up and achieve goals
Pros
Perfect company to work for
Cons
Lay-offs were always a worry
A very busy place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 29, 2015
A very busy and fast environment to work in but the staff and management were informative and clear directions were given in regards to deadlines
ok
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2015
to disorganized company, money in the company wasted or lost through bad management. worst part is the company has not reinvested any money back into company. very poor at dealing with bad management and getting rid of them. that is why that company will never succeed.
my day at work
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 10, 2014
I start my day off at work by doing our toolbox talk safety is number one. After we are finished the toolbox talk in the morning we go off with the people we are teamed up with for the day and start our route for the day. Which is picking up the used coveralls and after doing so we scanned them and then they get picked up by the company that cleans them ; then they drop off the clean coveralls. After the clean ones are dropped off our team begins sorting them into their sizes and then we distribute them through out the site. what i have learned from this job is how to problem solve and how to get the job done on a tight schedule. the thing I enjoy most about working were i am at now is my co-workers i love to get to know people and learning how to work with others. the hardest part about my job would be the repetitive movement its constant bending and twisting.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
no double time after 8 hours
Excellent front line but shaky upper management
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 17, 2013
Co-workers are great people. Management was constantly changing which made it hard for middle management, that was the hardest part. Most enjoyable was working with the front line teams.
Pros
benefits and salary were tops.
Cons
poor structure at the very top made it hard on everyone.
Opportunity to learn new skills
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2015
Overall, it is a secure job environment, but there is too much favoritism practiced when position placement and advancement opportunities arise.
Pros
Union based
Cons
Favoritism heavily practiced
Admin Assistant
Admin. Assitant to GM Mine Operations (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 28, 2014
No job security - here today gone tomorrow
No communication
Management all power hungry
**Direct supervisor very good to work for but hands tied by upper management**
A lot of work place bullying and harassement
great workplace to be apart of. would always be learning something new
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2015
i would have to say that working at a companines takes focus and a level of maturity. being comfortable talking to your coworkers can also help make an experience better. i would say the best thing about this job is always getting to learn something new.
Pros
friendly coworkers, get to learn new things
unsecure
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray albertaMarch 21, 2015
not sure if working day to day
low morel
lowest paying company in area
micro management team leads and GF
very few natives in any management positions ...for a native company that's sad
wrong people in management most are there for fast cash and don't care about company future
It gave me the platform to better my career
Certified Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 3, 2013
It was fun and challenging.I have learnt so many things like safety,how important it is in a work place and how valuable an employee is to the company and that hard work pays.Management are always willing to motivate workers into being better valuable individuals.I had such good experience with my co-workers,everyday was different,we made our job more interesting and a home to look forward to going to,we were like family,but just like in each and every family,there would be misunderstandings and we always found a way to work things through and tolerated each other.The hardest part was when we got switched over and other people getting better opportunity and i did not and change was the most challenging part,especialy when it did not favour me and finally getting laid off first.The most enjoyable part was the Tool box meeting when we talk about what we were gonna do that day!Safety rules and everyone participating and sharing about their challenges on the day,and ofcourse the pay was good and fruitful,wish I could have stayed
Pros
holidays and birthdays, and goodbyes
Cons
hours were ok, 12 hours
good experience
Rock Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
good workers, committed, strong ethnical hiring practice, safety orientated company training programs, communicate with all personal and community involvement.
Pros
Safety Training
Cons
night shift
This company lost more than a few projects to other subcontractors due to poor planning and not having the right equipment for the project at hand.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 7, 2015
Gave me an opportunity to work in the oilsands. I heard that this was the company to work for 3 or 4 years ago. No more profit sharing or LOA. I worked with a great group of people while I was there and enjoyed my time working for FMGOC.
Heavy Equipment Operator (HEO)
Operator CAT 789/ 797 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 13, 2013
Love the job as a Heavy Hauler Operator, my favorite job in life, this is the best job anyone could ever have, as co-works and management are the best kind, i enjoy climbing into and operating the biggest equipment in the world.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 27, 2012
My co-workers were the most enjoyable part of my job, I given the opportunity to be trained in many different functions of the HR Department. The hardest part of my job was leaving and moving back East.
Pros
benefits, vacations
Cons
traffic to and from work
Amazing and positive plave to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 26, 2014
Great place to work and the workload is very light.
Amazing co-workers
Management is great
Pros
great supervisors, great lunch time and free drinks in case of
Cons
long paid hours but i loved it.
under paid and over worked
Labourer (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray albertaFebruary 17, 2013
if it wasnt for my forman becoming my best friend i would of left that place a long time ago you have absolutely no space to grow as a employee and are treated with very little respect. also the wages are a robbery
Cons
long hours no days off and bad wage

Fort McKay Group of Companies Reviews by Location