Forever 21 Employee Reviews

Productive & Fun workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON16 January 2016
Typical days at work usually start very early in the morning opening the store. I have learned great skills on how to work efficiently and well with others especially when organizing merchandise in the back of our stock room. The people I work with are usually very friendly and personable. The hardest part is lifting heavy stock boxes in the back and the most enjoyable part is working on the floor interacting with the customers.
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and productive work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2016
I had a great work experience with forever 21, I learned a lot with this company and met great people along the way. Everyday with forever 21 was a learning experience.
Perfect place for student interested in making a little pocket money on the side.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2015
FOREVER21 is not the place for anyone who has rent, car payments to make. This place is always overstaffed and no hours available unless you're a regular cashier.

Shifts are always on call.
You'll never move up in the company because they always hire within their own clicks of people.
Pros
Nothing. No benefits, 10% off. Not even enough for tips
Cons
Horrible management, over worked, underpayed, over staffed, on call shifts
Overall a very positive and energetic work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 July 2015
My day would usually start of with being assigned to either Fitting Room or a specific area of the store.
We will be notified of sales and promotions that we need to know of to make sure we let customers know.
I would get familiar with the work area, if I am on the floor then I will walk around familiarize myself with the items located in my area.
Once my shift start we keep the work area clean, retrieve clothing from fitting room that is specific to my area and out them back to their designated area.
If I am doing a closing shift, then we would make sure all clothing are clear from the fitting rooms and organize and clean all displays.
Great Coworkers!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 March 2014
A typical day consisted of a million go-backs and just constantly putting things away, unless it was a slow day there was nothing to do. The management was constantly changing and they were very strict. My coworkers were great, we were all the same age group and we all became really good friends and always went out and I still chill with my old coworkers. The hardest part of the job were long hours and the lack of employee discount, the best part were definitely my coworkers.
Pros
nice clothes, fun coworkers, good hours
Cons
long days, bad discount, terrible break room
Fast-paced, fun work place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 November 2015
Many people I know tell me how even walking into Forever 21 gives them anxiety. Its so big, and has so many things to choose from. If customers think this -- just imagine working there. When you are on the floor, there is never a minute you get to yourself, ALWAYS something to do.

The hardest part about my job would probably have to be the cleaning. I TRULY believe, if every person were to work one day at this store, it would NEVER be a mess. Some nights we are there until 12:00 AM organizing the store, to make sure everything is perfect for the next morning.

Although, it can be difficult at times, dealing with keeping your section maintained, as well as helping out customers to ensure they leave with a smile on their face, my co-workers make a hard day at work, seem just fine. I remember when my old manager left, she got hired at H&M and they had literally told her "We are hiring you because if you can work retail in Forever 21... You can work retail anywhere!".
Pros
Seeing what comes in the store before we sell it
friendly & productive
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2016
Forever 21 had a good work environment, the people were friendly, helpful and productive. Everyone helped out eachother when needed to get the job done right and efficiently.
Enjoyable workplace
Lead Services/ IT representative - Management (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 February 2016
The workplace is great! The company emphasizes on team work a lot and because of this, employees develop good relationships. It requires a lot of work, however the environment and the staff helps make work fun.
Be a people person
Cashier/Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2015
This job you have to be able and willing to talk to who ever walks through the door. Have full knowledge of the entire store regardless of the size. They stretch you think by giving you the responsibility of the whole floor at times. I'm sorry minimum wage is not worth it.

They Management on the other hand was fantastic. They get to know you as a person and see your strengths and utilizes them. They are very understanding and run a tight ship to make sure things are done.
Pros
Employment achievement recognition, fabulous Management, first look at new stuff
Cons
horrible staff discount, limited hours, minimum wage
Terrible experience
Co Manager of service and operations (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale shopping centre13 March 2015
this role requires someone who is willing to go against all good will. Someone who has no problem treating those of less paying roles poorly. The sales associates are called "kids". I witnessed seasoned managers talk down to sales associates. This company treats everyone as an expendable person(s). This role is not Salary. So it's very very hard to control your own patrols when there are very important projects that need to be completed. The company rushes EVERYTHING. My experience was opening a new store before Xmas during construction. 500+ sales associates running around setting up the store with no safety gear while the store was under construction. Most employees had a problem with their pay. Most were not paid in excess of 38+ days. Do not work for this company. I left this company do to the lack of poor leadership and direction. This company lacks important structure. Their core values don't include treating their employees with much respect. This company has no integrity. You will also not be compensated enough to run a 40000 sq foot store that's 3 levels. Do not get caught up especially at Yorkdale shopping centre. There is a serious lack of leadership at that store.
Pros
Cons
10% discount very rude managers no work life balance
Not a good place to work ! choose another brands
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC9 November 2015
basically, hours you get per week can vary from 4 hrs to 44 hrs and it's not stable at all, there is no guarantee.
on the new stores managers are usually very young and not experienced, thinking only about numbers, they don't know how to motivate the employees and just keep pushing them with a very bad attitude, rude and mean.
some of the co-workers are nice and some of them trying to make the work environment unfriendly.
NOT recommended.
Cons
very low discount for employees, no shift security, not experienced managers, managers also so rudes and mean
Terrible Experience
Sales associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, On11 June 2015
Management had been terrible from the very first day I started working for the company back in 2011. Over time it just got worse, always unprofessional & on major power trips and have no clue how to treat people. Majority of gossip came from the management team. The company itself isn't good to their employees either. They randomly started making major changes to the company and cut hours drastically, started getting rid of positions & deducting people's pay.

Never received any incentives, bonuses, or gratis! Company does absolutely nothing for employees.

Work/life/balance doesn't exist with this company either- overworked & underpaid.

Best part of working here was my co workers (Not managers) because we all got along & it made work enjoyable.

As for customers on average they're pretty understandable biggest issue I ever had with customers was the company store policy (NO REFUNDS) but honestly such a high volume store you learn how to deal with a lot.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
High turn over, 10% discount, unorganized
Good experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON8 March 2016
- running go backs
- folding clothes
- sweeping and cleaning mirrors
- helping customers find specific items
- putting out inventory onto the floor
Fun place to work with.
nice
fast learner
busy
sometimes messy
need a lot of people on the floor
hanger is easy to break
needed a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 August 2015
thought it would be fun and beneficial

staff was great but management lacked a whole lot of structure and organization, new management all the time, never knew who was staying

too many employees were hired, not enough hours, people would quit quite often

pay not reasonable for what employees are required to do, hours not consistent

since day one i knew i would not want to work there for long, thankfully i got another job
Fun environment, great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ON6 February 2016
It was a good environment with encouraging managers and fun coworkers. It was busy and we got a lot of hours during the holiday season but I did not agree with minimum wage.
Cons
messy work place
Engaging, Fulfilling, but terrible environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto,ON24 April 2015
Job was extremely fulfilling and enjoyed customer service aspect of it. Over the course of six months, I maintained relationships with returning customers who enjoyed my help and advice.

Management and environment was lacking. Very poor employee respect by management. Management or veterans look down at you, very passive-aggressive environment, unsympathetic to employee needs and wants. Poor hours. employees are told that they are EXPENDABLE.

On most occasions I was asked to stay until midnight when my shift ended at ten. I was not informed of the extremity of the overtime hours. Not recommended for high school students or anyone with university course-load. Was unprepared for the maltreatment and unreasonable expectations.

The experience it gives you in the retail field is amazing.
Pros
great experience learning how to deal with customers and make sales
Cons
unpredictable and unreasonable overtime hours and terrible management
Poor management at top level
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC30 January 2014
No opportunity for advancement. No work life balance. Contracted got terminated for being a non flexible moher
Pros
Cons
poor management
glad to have gain some work experience
Customer Service, Fitting Room, Sorting, Greeter (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Ontario11 January 2013
Greeted customers and assisted them with their needs. learned great customer service skills. Co-workers were great and had good relationships with some management. Hardest part of job was standing on my feet for hours. The most enjoyable part was working as a team and dealing with customers.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
standing for long hours
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/ Visual worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 January 2016
Always something to busy whether it was maintaining clothes, pushing product or helping out in the fitting rooms. Hardest part would be when we were busy and trying to keep up with maintaining the store at the same or faster speed it was getting destroyed at.

2.8