About ForestEthics Advocacy Association
Founded in 2012, ForestEthics Advocacy (FEA) is a registered Canadian nonprofit society. FEA’s purpose is to conserve and protect the natural environments of Canada while allowing for their sustainable use. We advocate for industry-wide changes in the extraction, purchasing and sourcing of natural resources and seek to achieve large scale, legislated protection of endangered forests and wild places. FEA exists as part of a three-member coalition including ForestEthics Solutions Society (registered nonprofit society in Canada, founded in 2012) and ForestEthics (501c3 nonprofit organization in the United States, founded in 2000).
ForestEthics Coalition’s shared mission is to protect Endangered Forests and wild places, wildlife, and human wellbeing. We catalyze environmental leadership among industry, governments and communities by running hard-hitting and highly effective campaigns that leverage public dialogue and pressure to achieve our goals. Our current campaigns focus on fighting climate change, protecting wild places in Canada, and transforming industries that use products that come from these places. Our efforts have helped protect more than 65 million acres of forests and transformed the environmental practices of Fortune 500 companies including Whole Foods, Bed Bath and Beyond, Dell, Staples, Office Depot, Victoria’s Secret, and many others.
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Communications Officer will develop, coordinate and implement strategic communications and media plans for ForestEthics Advocacy’s campaigns. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Preferred location is Vancouver, BC with exceptions made for highly qualified candidates.
- Work closely with campaigners to develop communications plans and strategic opportunities that leverage media – both news and social - to achieve campaign goals and objectives
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters, television producers, and other news decision -makers in the Canada
- Produce written materials including press releases, press advisories, op-eds, letter to the editors, fact sheets, and background materials
- Work closely with ForestEthics coalition partners including online communications specialist to create and implement online communications and media strategies
- Produce online content such as blog posts, email blasts, social media posts, etc.
- Identify, brief, and train spokespeople within ForestEthics
- Provide ongoing advice about media strategies for each campaign
- Facilitate the needs of media requests including written materials, spokespeople, etc.
- Write quickly and succinctly, and respond efficiently to breaking news
- Coordinate media events such as press conferences
- Create and maintain media lists, including social media contact information
- 3+ years experience working in a media outlet or communications/media department of a non-profit organization
- Experience creating social media campaigns and creating metrics-based strategies
- Understanding of and experience engaging online communities
- Sound news judgment and solid contacts in both news and feature media
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Interest in or passion for the mission of ForestEthics Advocacy
- Proven experience in writing and editing for news and feature media
- Experience writing query letters and pitching to feature media outlets
- Exercises creativity in writing, project approach, and problem solving
- Ability to handle numerous tasks at one time
- Ability to travel as needed
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of forest and climate issues and market campaigns
- Computer proficiency in basic computer applications including spreadsheet, word processing and database software, contact management systems and internet programs such as cloud storage and project management platforms, along with social media management tools and metrics collection.
- Demonstrated track record of collaboration and ability to work independently
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with off-site coworkers
- High reasoning skills as demonstrated by the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: CommsOfficer[at]forestethicsadvocacy[dot]org. Be sure to include your name in the subject line and on all attachments.
We thank you for your interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Indeed - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -