Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

Toxic Working Environment
Trade Policy Officer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 October 2017
Staff get fired so easily they have a high staff turn over and the working environment is toxic and sick. Worked there for 6 months and nearly landed in a hospital. Its a very racist environment the company is not diverse and black people are meant to feel as though they are stupid and incapable of making decisions.
Pros
good salaries
Cons
racism, poor line management, no training provided to staff
It was a part time job i went there once a week.
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng13 May 2017
The management team was great and the people i worked with it was fun they made sure i was comfortable always. My payment was very little with no incentives it was tough but I pulled through and everytime i got payed went to checkers to see what i can get with that money.
Occasionally interesting work but awful pay and management, very political.
Vice Consul (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA14 January 2017
A very hierarchical organization. Most colleagues are there to do the least amount of work they can. Poor work culture, highly political.

The work can be exciting and interesting. Generally, poor managers but there can be exceptions.

Pay for junior staff is poor, even in high-cost locations. Very dangerous set-up with the IRS that can severely damage U.S. individuals, the Brits won't defend your interests.

Foreign Office diplomats can be very interesting but self-serving. Not good business people or business analysts.

Fairly secure job security rating, but most don't stay very long.
Pros
International trade & relations. Ability to meet people.
Cons
Poor management, driven by volatile political demands. Low pay, tax/IRS liability.
Great people, awful pay
Legalisation Officer (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes9 January 2017
Lovely people and the job wasn't bad either. However, the pay is terrible (being a Government post), and I found that I was struggling to pay my bills, so time to move on.
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
Low pay
High reputation
Interpreter and Translator (Former Employee) –  Basra, Iraq10 December 2016
I was so proud of my work as interpreter for the 'FCO' office back in Iraq following the 2003 war.

It gave me great favour to rehabilitate my life and find my goals. It was really the one I can clearly say taught me thousands of life lessons.
Pros
Massive advantages
Current Position
Regional Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Europe6 March 2016
I have responsiblity for the delivery of Hard and Soft services for the FCO within APAC and Europe. Management of stakeholder relationships and budget responsibility. Development and review of KPI's and SLA's. Audit management and completion, man management, contractor management of TFM contract.

Working in a good environment with good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is delivering messages to stakeholders which are not welcomed. The most enjoyable part is stakeholder relationships and variety of work.
Pros
Luncheon Vouchers, Bonus, Medical Cover and Pension
Cons
Lack of progression
Lots of changes in the past 7 years otherwise pretty good employer
Test Manager/Senior Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENG18 January 2016
Flexible hours for permanent staff which is good, and, support for further education if permanent staff which is also good. Seems to be lots of contract staff about who have been there a very long time, but, quite a reasonable bunch to work with.
Pros
Variable work load. Can be interesting working with other Gov.Dept's.
Cons
Advancement can be slow.
Ok place to work
Program Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY7 January 2016
Good place to start, but limited opportunity for growth. They don't take taxes out of your check so you end up in trouble with the IRS at the end of the year and end up in debt.
You learn a lot
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Tunis20 September 2014
Working with IWPR you learn about research and various matters that affects people.