Follett Corporation

Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee), Easton, PANovember 21, 2014
Pros: events, culture, hours, management
Cons: parking
Follett Corporation has a great company culture, values and work ethic. Always room for advancement and the company is thriving.
Nice
Graphic Designer/Creative Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Westchester, ILNovember 16, 2014
Nice facility, people, and work space. It's very exciting coming in to work and being able to socialize with my co-workers while getting work done.
A great place to work
Vice President, Operations (Former Employee), McHenry, ILNovember 13, 2014
A great place to work and have a career. A lot of memories were created at Follett.
Project expectations and timelines are well defined.
MANAGER (Former Employee), Westchester, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Project expectations and timelines are well defined. The environment and industry is competitive. Commitment is a must to succeed here.
if you are dying ,and need employment i suggest you apply.
sales associate (Former Employee), media,paAugust 25, 2014
Pros: working at school, students & parents, discouts on books
Cons: managers, associates, everything else that was not mentioned as a pro.
Okay first off I worked at a well known college bookstore. And it's very busy , I know first hand because I'm enrolled currently. My issues are with older established employees. How can I put this.. they will purposely give you false information so you can be looked at like a fool and ruin your chances of being selected for a regular job with the book – more... store. Secondly the training is NOTHING, but a stupid hunt of 14 questions. While you have over a hundred books to look through. It was not helpful. I'm used to working with big companies,and being trained properly. Here your thrown in on the busiest day of the semester working and dealing with scavengers looking for books literally! No brakes , no training , no direct deposit, nothing is good about this place. Not to mention the main manager is so rude ,and cold . It was as if he would shoot your mouth off If you cracked your lips to say could you please help me... But ending I like SOME of my co-workers SOME..I wouldn't recommend nobody working here it's just very unprofessional – less
Interesting place to work
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Castine, MEAugust 25, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: no job security, poor raises at best
Interacting with students, as well as fitting for uniforms and taking care of customers needs.
Management did not want to train you for the job because of insecurities.
Good Company
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee), Daytona Beach, FLAugust 10, 2014
Good company to work for. Changing Leadership. New policies
Dreams Diminish
Optimist (Former Employee), SomewhereAugust 7, 2014
Pros: quitting
Cons: slavery.
One of the most significant factors to the enjoyment of any career is the environment in which you work in. The relationship you uphold with faculty, staff, students, and fellow employees for this particular job has a great impact on your outlook of this job. Believing in company policy and entertaining the thought of stability and upward achievements – more... is an another factor to keep in mind.
Throughout my experience, I was able to create lasting relationships with different members on campus. The support and outlook of the college community on the services that the bookstore provides will only increase the faithfulness between the employees and the copious amounts of people they provide services to. I can proudly say that I will walk away from this experience with more a greater understanding of the business in Higher Education. With that being said, I would not recommend working for Follett.
Last year, after less than a year of my employment, the company had significant cutbacks with no warning to the hundreds of employees who had been cut from positions that they have upheld for years. Many of those people had established relationships on campus. It does does not shed a positive light on the company as an entirety to remove someone from a community, because that's what working on a college is supposed to be: A COMMUNITY. Follett fails to address this establishment. Understandably, this is a business (and one in dire need of attempting to uphold footing as technological advances are empowering the way the business is currently structured.).
Initially, I was proud to say that I was working for this company. They seemed to provide more-than-adequate training. However, it's all a facade. As it currently stands, their is a significant dissonance between not only the company and campus relations, but the company and itself. They are attempting to change their policies and procedures and structures at a pace that most stores cannot keep up with, which is resulting in a distaste between actual campus locations and the 'quote, end quote' higher-ups.
If you care about people, if you want to help students, if you care about higher education, if you care about making a difference,

Don't waste your time.

Thank you for your time. – less
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), tomball, txAugust 3, 2014
Everyone worked great as a team! Management is great and the training is thorough.
complete cronyism and no job security
former manager (Former Employee), northern CaliforniaJuly 28, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Stay away from this dying behemoth with a vengeance. I spoke up against unprofessional and sexually perverse management and was fired.
Company robs its employees
Application Developer (Former Employee), IllinoisJune 4, 2014
Company hires full time employees having them work over time during week and work all day on Saturday and does not pay them since they are considered exempt. When project is complete, management gets rid of all employees who gave so many hours for FREE to company so they would keep their job. Company should hire contract workers who get paid every hour – more... they work but save money in pretense of hiring employees who will be there a short time anyway. Company has been operating like this since the mid 70's when I first was introduced to them. Nothing has changed at all at this slave joint in the past 40 years.

DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. – less
Friendly Management and Environment
Sales Associate (Sales Floor) (Former Employee), San Marcos, CAMay 28, 2014
Pros: relaxed, effective, and approachable management, friendly employees who help out with any and all questions, small and easy-to-learn facility, and emphasized customer support.
Cons: slow during non-rush days, relaxed management style occasionally affects employee output, and quick and mild training leads to some employees having to ask many questions.
During my work at the bookstore, management was very friendly to its employees, to the point of even some of the floor supervisors going by their first names. That, however, did not mean that little was accomplished in the field; every day was a busy one in its own way. Books were always in need of shelving; before the rush, this concept was paramount – more... on the sales floor. Any books that were overstock would then go into the stock part of the store, in the back. Book wrapping was also important, and thus from even the smallest tasks in the business I learned that those "little things" had to get done, or they could potentially have a huge effect. At one point, we had negative inventory on a very important class' book, and I'd guess that this would have set us behind in revenue in that manner. The harder parts of the job were during the rush, or rather, when all of my fellow college students would get their books most often. At one point I waited for another fellow employee to help me with bag check-in (as they couldn't bring a large bag in as a precaution against potential stealing), while I checked them in as quickly as I could. It was not the company's negligence that caused this, it was my insistence that I could do it and the ones who needed their lunch break could indeed go as scheduled; the job needed to be done. This experience was the hardest and most enjoyable experience during my working there.

However, this is not to say that I did not value my co-workers; far from it. I viewed everyone there as a friend who was making just as much of an effort that I was and I respected them for it. We were all in the enterprise together and I enjoyed every aspect of the work involved, save perhaps when it all slowed down and I looked for things to keep myself, the sales floor, and the back of the store moving. I looked for things to clean up, looked for people in need of assistance, customers and employees alike. I did anything to help keep myself useful and others unburdened. Long story short, this was my first time doing non-volunteer work, and it was the greatest and most educational experience I've ever had. – less
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!
Fairfield University Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fairfield, CTMay 26, 2014
Cons: lack of communication, breaks suck, not enough pay
This place sucks! The hours are horrendous. The money is horrible. Three years (since opening day) and a 35 cent raise is not enough to live of a week if only working one to two days a week. $9.00 starting. Management is horrible.

The management were I worked changed and the new manager wants to get rid, and has gotten rid of, the staff that has built – more... that place up. The management has no appreciation for any of the staff, only taking suggestions from employees they like. – less
Always changing and working with students is fun
Sales and Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Glen Ellyn, ILMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches during rush week, flexible schedule
Cons: not enough hours
Great place to work! Help student with textbook, computer / software, supply purchases.

Help student get money back during buy back week!

Help student make the best decision on what type of format to purchase; textbook, regular price, rental purchase, digital purchase, etc.

Support shipping and receiving with incoming product. Tag, count, and prepare – more... for sales floor.

Take customer service calls.

Lots of variety and day goes by fast! – less
Productive and Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Salem, MAMay 4, 2014
Follett is a great company, especially for a the working college student. Fun workplace, with a wonderful staff.
Good job for a starter career
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Randolph CTR, VTApril 18, 2014
Good company to work for. lots of room for advancement if you wanted to move.
Productive, fast-paced, and fun
Temporary Store Associate (Former Employee), Downtown MiamiApril 15, 2014
Pros: questions will always be answered, understanding of employees personal commitments
Cons: short breaks
It was an enlightening experience, never a dull moment in the workplace. The fast-paced environment keeps you on your toes, on every corner there is always a customer in need and something to do. Co-workers the majority of them were either students or highly experienced retail personnel that help you along the way.
Very well ran business with great co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tempe, AZApril 15, 2014
I personally liked my job with follett corporation at Rio Salado. I would get to interact with people all day while still get everything done around the store i needed to. The few managers that ran that store were great. They were very encouraging and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the middle of the day rush when 20 people would be in the – more... store at once all trying to check out at one time. the most enjoyable part of that job was definitely interacting with new people constantly – less
Company in trouble
Course Materials Manager (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAApril 11, 2014
Changes in the marketplace will continue to strangle this company.
Well Organized
Team Lead General Merchandise (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 6, 2014
Company is well organized. Know what they are doing.
Loved my co workers.
Management believed in me.
Rose quickly within the store.

1 2 3