Fogo Island Inn is currently accepting applications for a Facilities Manager/Chief
FACILITIES MANAGER - FOGO ISLAND INN
- Previous experience is an asset
- Must have 3 to 5 years in a leadership / supervisory position
Preferred Trade certification with strong electrical, plumbing or mechanical and
fire systems background
- 3rd Class Power Engineering certification an asset
Work experience or completed education in Engineering, Project Management,
- Computer literate and ability to work with MS Word and Excel in particular
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Knowledge of various building management systems software an asset
- Must be able to read and understand blue prints and technical manuals
- Able to work flexible hours according to business levels and/or emergencies
- Able to multi-task and maintain high level of productivity
In accordance with applicable codes and regulations, ensures that the surrounding
premises (building and operating equipment) are maintained in a safe, clean, secured
and good working order. Ensures that all contractors perform their duties and
obligations to maintain the premises and operating equipment in good working order as
per designed specifications. Provides an excellent operating environment to foster high
quality standards for staff and guests. Performs general routine maintenance, minor
repairs and servicing operations, and assists in performing cleaning services to aid in
maintaining the facility in a clean and safe manner.
Manages the maintenance department to achieve high standards of operational
efficiency - all within budgetary constraints and in accordance with administration
*MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
1. Ensures that the surrounding premises (building and operating equipment) are
maintained in a safe, clean, secured and good working order. Ensures that all
contractors perform their duties and obligations to maintain the premises and
operating equipment in good working order as per designed specifications.
2. Plans, organizes, directs, and supervises the activities of the maintenance
department to ensure high standards of operation of all equipment including
heating boilers, thermal solar system, water treatment system, back up
generator, laundry equipment, hot tub equipment, wood burning appliances and
chimneys, cooling equipment and kitchen equipment. Establishes and monitors
workflow, evaluates performance and production, and makes changes as
necessary to improve quality of service. Coordinates activities with those of
other departments. Informs the General Manager of activities, needs and
3. Ensures surrounding 50 acres of property is properly maintained, including but
not limited to driveway maintenance and snow clearing of one kilometer road.
4. Ensures effective cut wood supply for main heating boilers plus 30 additional
wood burning appliances. This includes the acquisition, processing, storage and
delivery of approximately 140 cords of wood annually.
5. Ensures effective management of the maintenance of all Inn vehicles and
equipment to ensure proper maintenance and adherence to the manufacturers
6. Participates in the hiring process, training/orientation and provides work direction,
instructions and guidance to department's staff. Monitors and evaluates staff
performance. Attempts to resolve problems with staff and refers to Administration
7. Maintains established department plans, policies and procedures regarding such
things as quality assurance, infection control and safety and ensures compliance
8. Schedules and supervises maintenance functions and activities; establishes
maintenance routines and workflow patterns in cooperation with personnel so as
not to interfere with guest activities. Promotes efficiency in work performance
and cost effective use of time, equipment and supplies. Tours facility regularly to
observe staff and ensure compliance with instructions and quality of work.
9. Plans daily maintenance schedule for the maintenance department, establishes
priorities and assigns employees to duties. Assists in providing guidelines for
completion of daily work routines.
10. Inspects finished work to assure quality service.
11. Liaises with outside service contractors and inspectors to assure equipment and
environment conform with applicable codes and regulations.
12. Cooperates with other departments in such tasks as moving and storing supplies,
and moving furniture and equipment.13. Adheres to established policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, health and safety, environment and infection control.
14. Participates in budget preparation and control. Orders and/or purchases
supplies/equipment in accordance with established policies and budgetary
15. Participates and/or chairs committee meetings such as Health and Safety and
Quality Assurance, as required.
16. Establishes and maintains communications with other departments & works
cooperatively in carrying out duties to assure the needs of guests are being met.
17. Maintains required records, reports, statistics, etc. in accordance with policies,
procedures and legislative requirements.
18. Ensures the privacy of guests during performance of duties.
19. Demonstrates personal attributes and communication skills that foster customer
satisfaction at all times and monitor staff performance in relation to guest service.
20. Maintains inventories and assures safe storage of all supplies. Ensures proper
maintenance and functioning of equipment and arranges for repairs as
21. Performs other duties as assigned by the General Manager
If you possess the qualifications listed above and are passionate about our
unique location and facility, please forward a cover letter and your resume.We regret we are unable to accept phone call regarding this position.We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those qualified to continue with the selection process will be contacted.