Focus Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Could use better management
Field Inspector (E.I.T.) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 14, 2015
Fun and supportive colleagues, need better management and more fun activities at work to keep employees motivated.
Need to work on getting in more projects.
Fun and enjoyable company to work for.
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
On a typical day I would drive a snowmobile and set up the GPS system. Then continue and locate the pipeline and survey the dig site. During my time at Focus I learned how to use a locator to locate pipelines. I also gained more knowledge on how to use a GPS system. The management and my co-workers were very supportive. The safety polices were fantastic. The best part of my job was being able to work outside and to be able to extend my knowledge of the surveying industry.
Pros
I was able to work outside.
Focus
Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2015
Excellent job. We would drive out to work and stay in either a camp or hotel for 24 days at a time and be alone and work and get our work done within the allotted time frame. I learned a lot about surveying and wish to continue this career path but do not wish to be out of town anymore. The most enjoyable part of my job was applying what i learned in school to real life situations.
Pros
everything was expensed, benefits
Cons
being away from home
Work life
IT Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaApril 28, 2014
Work from 8-4:30pm. Co-workers are awesome people, great to get along with, always willing to help
Management is good, though communication is a bit of an issue
Hardest part of the job is getting others to understand the policies and why they need to be followed
Most enjoyable part is being around fun people, who are always ready and willing to lend a hand when they can
Pros
limited supervision - trust you to get your job done
Cons
lack of communication from management to employees
Good crews, Great company
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 19, 2014
This was a great job, however there wasn't much of a home life, becuase it's camp work. The company and co-works were very good to with and for.
Poor
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 12, 2014
Great interview into surveying but left due to personal reasons.
Stay Away From Small Projects
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 18, 2013
Salary was good, but the small projects group was very disorganized. management leaves lots of opportunities for improvement. Some examples include the inability to be able to scope out projects and assist with any problems. If something goes wrong the employee will be used as a scapegoat. A lot of promises were made during the interview and offer process but were never met. Save yourself some pain there are a lot better opportunisies out there
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Fun Workplace
Business Infrastructure Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2013
I gained a lot of new knowledge at Focus and met some really great people during my time there.
Pros
opportunity to learn
Cons
very long hours
Payroll Administrator Specialist (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 31, 2012
Focus is a good place to work.
The work could be far more challenging in my particular position.
The overall benefits are really good.
My co-workers are what make my job worth it.
The pay is average.
Work life balance is good for my level.

Comment – June 5, 2013

Ive learned a lot of things when I was with them, from technical, management skills to dealing with clients and government employees we dealt with. Good benefits, work life balance was good and observed in the company. The downside was, I was just part of the number. My former manager doesn't seem to care, before he hired me, he promised so many things for my career growth, but when I was there, he never gave me anything he said, even I asked him about it. Too much politics, the head office in Edmonton got all the good things and advancement while the other branches were got nothing or got some excess part of the main office. No room for improvement in their career for Canadian Landed Immigrants even if you're a Professional Engineer or Professional Surveyor.