Flying J

Flying J Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to practice people skills
Pilot (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great people oriented job
Cons: repetitive
Restocking, cleaning, and running cash register. Learn patience and tolerance. Good peer environment. Most enjoyable part was the outdoor duties
Nice coworkers, bad environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), North East, MDOctober 19, 2014
Pros: great regulars
Cons: short staff, dirty, rude customers
Daily I would cash out truck drivers gas purchases and other customers purchases. I would also help the maintenance team clean because they were extremely short-staffed. Management was decent, and worked with you if you had specific shift needs.
The hardest part of this job was how short-staffed everyone was. Maintnence was short so they would have – more... a cashier cover the position, then up front would be short so deli would send someone up to cover, it was a vicious cycle.
Many drivers were rude, sexist, and dismissive of me because I am a woman. But there were some drivers who were regulars that were extremely polite and were the best part of the job. No matter how bad it got they could cheer me up. – less
Good enough for a high school student
Cashier (Former Employee), Winslow, AZOctober 3, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: didn't have clear schedules
I showed up at work, got behind the register and made transactions my whole shift. Nothing exciting really happened. The management was ok, until my contract came up for me to join the military, then they became mean towards me during my final weeks there.
Great Company to work for
Food Service Manager (Assistant General Manager) (Former Employee), Haubstadt, INOctober 2, 2014
Amazing benefits and outstanding support from upper management. Work/life balance is not the greatest, but Pilot makes up for it with benefit package
Fun atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee), Seffner, FLSeptember 29, 2014
With all of the truckers coming in and out of our store, it was a very fun atmosphere.
Spinning tires
o Deli Chef (Former Employee), Seffner, FLSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: easy to aquire employment
Cons: not much room for growth
I spent the better part of 3 years doing just that. Every manager in the place has his/her own agenda and they all tell you what you want to hear. Needless to say, no one can actually deliver.I actually supervised an over night shift for 9 months without getting a promotion or monetary gain in the "management Program"
Fast paced
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Ellenton, FlSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: fast paced
Cons: no set schedule
Good company to work for. Fast paced environment with chances to move up in company.
Fun and safe enviorment
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Clive, IASeptember 23, 2014
The managers were fantastic, they helped people when they were needed.
The hardest part of the job was finding the right people to exceed Flying J's standards.
The most enjoyable part of my job was showing up at work and taking care of the customers and meeting new people.
corporate truck stop
LABORER (Former Employee), St. AugustineSeptember 19, 2014
had to clean truck driver showers, get info from trucks at pumps
Fun energetic workplace
Coffee Hostess (Former Employee), Pontoon Beach, ILSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: my schedule was awesome
Cons: a lot of negative attention
Everyday was something different at the J. Customers would come in and tell you about what their lives are about and I learned a lot about the trucking company. My co-workers were good people all looking to make ends meet. The hardest part of that job was that its really easy to get distracted. You have to stay focused. Overall I enjoyed getting up – more... to go to work at Flying J. – less
Great staff funto work with great variety of customers
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Lodi, CASeptember 8, 2014
Pros: was a fun and active place to work
Cons: went out of business
I loved working at the flying J and would still be there if they had not merged with pilot and closed the full service restaurant. Schedule staff for weekly schedules and daily work assignments/ Did all food orders and inventory control. relieve employees for assigned breaks.
Line cook when needed, help with daily prep .Customer service and
cash handling.
Productive & Friendly
Guest Service Leader (Current Employee), Whiteland, INSeptember 7, 2014
A typical day starts with doing my walk through of the plaza to see what all needs to be done before the end of my shift. I then assign what needs to be done to the right department (maintenance, deli, cashier, ect) and follow up with them about an hour before I leave. I have learned that I'm a very likable person & easy to get along with but with that – more... comes the few that try to walk all over me. My current co-workers know what needs to be done & what's expected of them and are reminded when needed. The hardest part is dealing with the angry customers who are not satisfied and trying to make the best of the situation & urge them to continue using our stores. The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing the positive feedback from all the different customers that come in and just hearing "great job today" from my boss. – less
Review of Flying J
PILOT (Former Employee), Sayre, OKAugust 25, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of working at the deli. I learned that food is a fun way to pass the day away. Management was very helpful and my coworkers were great. Very productive! The hardest part of my job was the complicated orders but the most enjoyable part was working with food, which is my favorite thing to do.
Loved it
CASHIER (Former Employee), Corfu, NYAugust 24, 2014
Pros: managers
Cons: it changed to dennys
I loved working at flying j. I enjoyed the job and the managers.
Deli Assistant Manager Supervisor Shift Lead (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 24, 2014
Hard working job with great customer satifaction and reviews. Management and all co workers made work a very enjoyable place.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee), Oak Grove, KYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: discounts on food at the restaurant attached to flying j, great staff and management
A typical day consisted of standing behind the counter and ringing people up on the cash register for their fuel or in store purchases. Also maintained the deli area and restocked cigarettes on the shelves behind us.

I learned a lot about truck drivers, places they've been and were going, and how to help customers. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... was great management, great customers, friendly co-workers and lots of team work.

I didn't really have a "hard part" of the job. I loved everything about working at Flying J! – less
Fast-pace but love the people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Catlettsburg, KYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: smiling customers
Cons: gossip among co-workers and management
I loved my job. I met several interesting people. I enjoyed talking with my customers and co-workers.
great place to work
Gerneral Manager/ Corp. Trainer (Former Employee), Ogden, UTAugust 18, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
excellent in all aspects. got to travel to different locations across the country and europe
its a great place as in people and communication
Customer service (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great meals
Cons: short breaks
i really didnt like the job because it was a gas station with a bunch of nasty truckers
very fast pace truck stop
cashier (Former Employee), clearbrook, vaAugust 13, 2014
Pros: days went by quick being super busy
Cons: wouldnt work with my visitation court order
I was a cashier and was always busy beings we were a truck stop. I had to do light cleaning, make coffee and stock when we had slow times.

About Flying J

Pilot Flying J (PFJ), formerly Pilot Travel Centers, steers truckers and otherĀ motorists to more thanĀ 550 company-owned and -operated – Read more