Flying J

Flying J Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 22, 2014
Runninng the register,stock,paperwork,order supplies and inventory
it was a fun place to work and the people were very nice
maintance (Former Employee), Beaverdam, OHNovember 18, 2014
Pros: free lunch, nice people to work with
Cons: doing trash runs outside when its cold raining and snowing
i would take out trash, sweep and mop floors, clean restrooms and showers for truck drivers.
the cab drivers were very nice
Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 13, 2014
Pros: learn to work in a stressful situation and not get over whelmed
Cons: sometimes the drivers get mad if they don't get good runs and won't answer you calls over the radio.
the job is stressful but the drivers are pretty nice as long as you give them a ride that will be there when they arrive to the address
Maintenance worker maintaining clean environment
Maintenance (Former Employee), Davenport, IANovember 13, 2014
Pros: learning how to be a good maintainence person
Cons: short breaks
typical day check pump verifications and take trash outside.
fun place to work
Server/ Cashier (Former Employee), Lake Station, INNovember 12, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: more pay
enjoyed meeting different people. like the diversity.would recommed this job.
Travel Plaza very busy
Associate General Manager (Former Employee), Lake Station, INOctober 31, 2014
Pros: free meals, chance to go to any one of our restaurants for meals
Cons: company went bankrupt
kitchen manager, recruiting employees training food inventory, schedules, new menus roll out
Great place to practice people skills
Pilot (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great people oriented job
Cons: repetitive
Restocking, cleaning, and running cash register. Learn patience and tolerance. Good peer environment. Most enjoyable part was the outdoor duties
Nice coworkers, bad environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), North East, MDOctober 19, 2014
Pros: great regulars
Cons: short staff, dirty, rude customers
Daily I would cash out truck drivers gas purchases and other customers purchases. I would also help the maintenance team clean because they were extremely short-staffed. Management was decent, and worked with you if you had specific shift needs.
The hardest part of this job was how short-staffed everyone was. Maintnence was short so they would have – more... a cashier cover the position, then up front would be short so deli would send someone up to cover, it was a vicious cycle.
Many drivers were rude, sexist, and dismissive of me because I am a woman. But there were some drivers who were regulars that were extremely polite and were the best part of the job. No matter how bad it got they could cheer me up. – less
Good enough for a high school student
Cashier (Former Employee), Winslow, AZOctober 3, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: didn't have clear schedules
I showed up at work, got behind the register and made transactions my whole shift. Nothing exciting really happened. The management was ok, until my contract came up for me to join the military, then they became mean towards me during my final weeks there.
Great Company to work for
Food Service Manager (Assistant General Manager) (Former Employee), Haubstadt, INOctober 2, 2014
Amazing benefits and outstanding support from upper management. Work/life balance is not the greatest, but Pilot makes up for it with benefit package
Fun atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee), Seffner, FLSeptember 29, 2014
With all of the truckers coming in and out of our store, it was a very fun atmosphere.
Spinning tires
o Deli Chef (Former Employee), Seffner, FLSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: easy to aquire employment
Cons: not much room for growth
I spent the better part of 3 years doing just that. Every manager in the place has his/her own agenda and they all tell you what you want to hear. Needless to say, no one can actually deliver.I actually supervised an over night shift for 9 months without getting a promotion or monetary gain in the "management Program"
Fast paced
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Ellenton, FlSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: fast paced
Cons: no set schedule
Good company to work for. Fast paced environment with chances to move up in company.
Fun and safe enviorment
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Clive, IASeptember 23, 2014
The managers were fantastic, they helped people when they were needed.
The hardest part of the job was finding the right people to exceed Flying J's standards.
The most enjoyable part of my job was showing up at work and taking care of the customers and meeting new people.
corporate truck stop
LABORER (Former Employee), St. AugustineSeptember 19, 2014
had to clean truck driver showers, get info from trucks at pumps
Fun energetic workplace
Coffee Hostess (Former Employee), Pontoon Beach, ILSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: my schedule was awesome
Cons: a lot of negative attention
Everyday was something different at the J. Customers would come in and tell you about what their lives are about and I learned a lot about the trucking company. My co-workers were good people all looking to make ends meet. The hardest part of that job was that its really easy to get distracted. You have to stay focused. Overall I enjoyed getting up – more... to go to work at Flying J. – less
Great staff funto work with great variety of customers
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Lodi, CASeptember 8, 2014
Pros: was a fun and active place to work
Cons: went out of business
I loved working at the flying J and would still be there if they had not merged with pilot and closed the full service restaurant. Schedule staff for weekly schedules and daily work assignments/ Did all food orders and inventory control. relieve employees for assigned breaks.
Line cook when needed, help with daily prep .Customer service and
cash handling.
Productive & Friendly
Guest Service Leader (Current Employee), Whiteland, INSeptember 7, 2014
A typical day starts with doing my walk through of the plaza to see what all needs to be done before the end of my shift. I then assign what needs to be done to the right department (maintenance, deli, cashier, ect) and follow up with them about an hour before I leave. I have learned that I'm a very likable person & easy to get along with but with that – more... comes the few that try to walk all over me. My current co-workers know what needs to be done & what's expected of them and are reminded when needed. The hardest part is dealing with the angry customers who are not satisfied and trying to make the best of the situation & urge them to continue using our stores. The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing the positive feedback from all the different customers that come in and just hearing "great job today" from my boss. – less
Review of Flying J
PILOT (Former Employee), Sayre, OKAugust 25, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of working at the deli. I learned that food is a fun way to pass the day away. Management was very helpful and my coworkers were great. Very productive! The hardest part of my job was the complicated orders but the most enjoyable part was working with food, which is my favorite thing to do.
Loved it
CASHIER (Former Employee), Corfu, NYAugust 24, 2014
Pros: managers
Cons: it changed to dennys
I loved working at flying j. I enjoyed the job and the managers.

About Flying J

Pilot Flying J (PFJ), formerly Pilot Travel Centers, steers truckers and otherĀ motorists to more thanĀ 550 company-owned and -operated – Read more