Flying J Travel Centers Employee Reviews

Productive and fast paced, Fun work environment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Dothan, AL10 October 2017
It's a great place to work if you are a people person. Not for the slow at heart. Diverse customer base creates a thrilling workplace.If you are a frantic go getter then this is the career for you!
It all depends on the manager of the store.
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN15 September 2017
My husband was the major employee for Pilot. They brought me in for the seasonal position of gift wrapper which turned into more of a sales position. We were relocated 4 times while working for Pilot. Some of the managers were wonderful, knowing how to treat people to get the best from them.Other managers, ruled with no compassion for his/people. They resented it and worked accordingly. People give what they are given.
Pros
Wonderful customers, each day was different.
Cons
Not enough help from regional management.
Could not recommend
General Manager Designate (Current Employee) –  Frystown, PA22 March 2017
I was lied to from the very beginning. The "recruiter" and regional manager lied to me about everything from benefits to hours to salary. Initially I was told my hours would be set M-F, weekends off, salary wasn't an issue, and paid holidays off. This changed quickly once I was in position. In all my years as a senior manager and another huge retailer, I had never been disrespected by other management the way I have been with this company. And it is acceptable! Turn over rate is extremely high with this company due to their practices with employee's, the highest with general managers. They realize this and tell the employees they are pursuing a different path with them, when in reality it is just a ruse. Work/life balance is nonexistent. You are expected to dedicate your life to them and only them, never mind your family. The hours are long even by retail standards. Schedules are done weekly if you are lucky and subject to change on a moments notice. Don't try to plan anything, not even dentist or doctor appointments. Your days off are never known.
Pros
50% off meals up to $5 while on the clock
Cons
Too many to list
I was a shift lead a Pilot and enjoyed it.
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Baldwin, FL6 March 2017
I loved working there at Pilot and I would probably do it again. but the pay was higher than Big Lots. Its hard working for Pilot because you have several hundred truckers on the road for days and they like to see women.
There was no hard part to the job. The drive was a little long, But I truly enjoyed it.
We also hired a lot of young kids just out of school and it was a little difficult training them. I was in charge of training so I completed the task
Pros
na
Cons
na
i like eveyone in this place
cahier (Former Employee) –  Wood River, NE7 January 2017
co workers became like my family. in my opinion is a good place to work good benefits a place that encourages workers to strive forward acheave goals.
a job
Cook | Pilot (Former Employee) –  Boonville, MO 6523322 August 2016
it was a great place to work if you didnt have many bills or if you just need a part time job with full time benefits. I was hired on as full time but was lucky to see 28 hours in a week. I could not afford to keep working at this location.
Cons
wasnt getting enough hours
Learned a lot from this company
District Training Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX10 August 2016
Overall good atmosphere when it was originally Flying J- when it merged with Pilot they took out the restaurant and took away my position. They then switched to another brand who did not appreciate all my work.
Pros
Travel & promotions
Cons
switched concepts
Overall, terrific place to work
General Manager/District Manager (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UT24 May 2015
Upper management eager to hear your opinions and recommendations. Managers had a lot of autonomy, and often worked with little supervision. The expectations were always very clear....maximize profits running a clean, professional operation that operated within established corporate policies and procedures ensuring your unit, or units, were properly staffed with trained and motivated teamworkers.
I genuinely enjoyed my job, and looked forward to going to work each day!
Pros
Upper management quick to respond to recommendations
Love the challenge
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Salina ks12 February 2015
Great place to work, meeting all the new high way hospitality customers from all over the world. Co workers were great, the company has great benefits for part time and full time employee's. Training was good for the most part.
Pros
secruity
Cons
aqdvancement
Busy work environment with a multitude task.
MAINTENANCE WORKER, PILOT (Former Employee) –  Temple, Georgia25 July 2014
Working continuously to ensure the store's standards were held. A lot of general customer service, spanning from directing customers towards certain products to fixing any inconvenience encountered by customers.
Busy
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Pontoon Beach, IL17 May 2014
Very Busy location, concern for employee safety not there. Employees are all friendly and customers are great.
Great Job
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Caddo Mills, TX21 January 2014
I enjoyed working at Flying J Travel Center, management was always working right beside you no matter how dead or how busy. I learned the meaning of team work here because everyone knew their position and split the work up evenly during each shift. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the bathrooms and showers. I enjoyed the different types of customers I got to meet from all over the place.
OK Place to Woek
General Manager/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC5 January 2014
Busy Day after a 100 mile ride ... 5 concept restaurant with sub standard buffet . Menu Food was Much Better. Upper Management was OK ..
Pros
Salary
Cons
Drive
A very productive and fun job and great staff;
Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Saint George, SC31 January 2013
A typical day at work for me consisted of my regular hours, 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., being around great personalities and a great staff to have for coworkers and the management staff was excellent.
Pros
50% off deli items during lunch hour.
Cons
short breaks, health and dental care plans.
Long Hours but we had fun
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Matthews, Mo. East St. Louis, Ill5 May 2012
As a GM we worked about 65-70 hours a week. We always found time to laugh, even though the job could be VERY stressful.
Pros
compensation
Cons
no benefits