Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews in Canada

Good company
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Fairly good company, good compensation, challenging work. Typical day is very busy. Co-workers are nice, management is good. The only bad thing is the lack of job security.
Pros
compensation
Cons
job security
Proficient, Challenging, and Fun
CSS Electrical and Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 18, 2013
A typical day always starts with a safety meeting, and going over the planned work for the day. The unforeseen things that come up on a daily bases, are handled in a professional and proficient manner.

What you learn on every job is that people are people and the needs are all the same; be professional and treat people with respect. If you are doing your job then they will be doing theirs.

The management team are always supportive and believe in open door policies.

My co-workers are always helpful no matter the craft, title, or culture.

The hardest part of the job is to hear of an incident or problem with a co-workers family's and to help them deal with it so that it doesn't effect their job performance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the finished product with no injuries.
PDDM Department is all about Politics
Current Employee at Fluor PDDM (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray and Calgary AlbertaJune 4, 2013
The company itself is a very good company but the people running the PDDM Management Team is all about politics. They will manage the department from home offices leaving the folks at different site areas on their own. Once you close a project for them, they will cut you lose and forget about all the hard work.

If only PDDM Department does not have politics, Fluor will definitely be a good place to work.
Pros
average pay, courses, opportunities
Cons
management making wrongful decisions, does not value people, will use you to close project for them then lay you off without valid reasons, relationships between management and co-workers are very common which is again politics.
Very safe company to work for.
Fluor Driver (Current Employee) –  Kearl By Fort McMurray in Alberta CanadaAugust 15, 2015
A company who believes in its safety culture and will walk the walk so to speak. Committed to excellence in their professional execution of their maintenance schedule keeping an eye on quality and efficiency while maintaining the clients work culture and ethics.
Pros
11 and 9 rotation
As a Junior I was constantly talked down to and made to feel useless
Junior Piping Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2015
I spent 2 years with Fluor Calgary feeling uncomfortable and mistreated. As an inexperienced junior I was led to believe I would become a designer, received the training for the software and was never allowed to use it. I was told not to bother the designers with my questions and year later after my training I was thrown into a busy project and was told I wasn't performing and was even questioned whether I ever attended school.

I was then told that if I performed badly I would get a bad reputation in the industry and would never find another job. I was given 2 weeks to turn things around, during which time I was given other projects to do, never getting around to improving and nothing was ever explained.

I spent the next 5 months getting scraps of work which hardly filled my day. I was told by one of the other managers I was set up to fail. I
was also told that unless you're female or a foreigner you'll take twice as long to get anywhere.

I left shortly thereafter...worst experience of my life.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Everything else
Productive work and lots of overtime time
Document & Data Management Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2015
My work was very interesting. The co-workers were nice to work with most of the time. The work was delivered on time as per demand. The management was approachable when needed.
Pros
enjoyed all the free luches and the other staff memenbers
Cons
very long hours but got paid for all these hours
Great work environment and teamwork network
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaOctober 22, 2014
Every day presented new challenges and opportunities to learn and enhance your personal professional skill set. Management was very approachable and interacted with the team as if just one of the team. Co workers were very diversified in their skills and all team members shared their experiences with each other.
Pros
opportunities for career advancement
Different place to work, mind you in Afghanistan
Carpenter journieman (Former Employee) –  Afghanistan - Bagram - SharanaAugust 29, 2013
Replacing or rebuilding around the FOB. Every day learning on different culture , people , jobs. Good management bottom to top.Very good and different from all around the world. The i-------s. Going to R & R every 3 months.
Pros
free lunches
professional
Structural Enigneer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2015
Working at Fluor means working in a professional environment, with high technical standards on large scale projects, within a group of dedicated people.
learned a great deal from this company
PC Support/CADD Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary,ABOctober 16, 2013
I started here as a Desktop Support person and left as a CAD Support. I have learned to see the business from the designing and construction side of things. Management was very supportive in my career path. The hardest part of the job was getting the proper training on the new CAD system to support it. I enjoyed the challenges of learning a role and taking some night courses to try to understand my clients.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
getting training
Structured working environment, encourage learning
Plant Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 28, 2013
Great place to learn and enhance knowledge
Structured and organized, engineering-like large firm
Treat new employee with "free" on-job training
Free to form "small groups"
Pros
large company, everything you can think of has been taken care of. company culture encourages learning
Cons
little sense of control, poor job security, sometime directionless, layoff can be brutal and dumbfounded
Great placed to work,
Supervisor Materilas Management - Senior Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2015
Work weeks are 36 and 44 hours with every second Friday off
Very diversified co-workers from many countries
Project challenges created opportunities to use different techniques to ensure success
Good place to work at
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2015
Very procedure and policy oriented. Long days, good management, good place to work at, reasonable benefits. Has cafeteria and gym and many projects
Great Experience
Small Appliance Technician (Former Employee) –  Bagram, AfghanistanJuly 17, 2015
Learned a lot about appliances
Worked with people from other cultures races etc
Sleeping in tents
Working enviroment not for everyone,but you get used to it
Productive and engaging work environment.
Technical Translator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
I liked the challenging yet friendly atmosphere at Fluor, and really enjoyed learning from my colleagues. Great team and having a gym at the office is definitely a plus!
Enjoyed every minute
Piping Superintendent / Turnover Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, Ft McMurray, N Jersey, SarniaAugust 23, 2015
Worked on several projects across Canada and the USA with this company. Construction Managers were well suited for their positions.

Irving Oil project had Superintendents from the west of Canada who tended to treat Eastcoaster with disrespect , as a result got less work out of their charges.

I had a great re pore with 300+ of the trades I was responsible for
High paced deadline driven
Senior PBS (Project Business Services) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 31, 2014
Managed multiple projects for multiple clients. Corporate culture is dry and people are considered numbers. Job security lacking and a lot of stress.
Great personal contact and interaction
MC Plus Data Base/ |IT (Former Employee) –  newfoundlandOctober 24, 2014
The Leads/Management and Staff were wonderful, helpful and very understanding. Very one pulled together as a team
Pros
great management
Fun Place and Productive
Piping Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  National Capital RegionMay 7, 2015
Management is good, Co-workers are friendly, You'll learn a lot in your everyday work, hardest part of the job is revising designs over and over again, enjoyable part of the job is working with top notch professionals.
Excellent place to work
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 23, 2015
My experience has always been excellent. A group of people and individuals who actually care about doing the right thing and the best job.
I believe the firm's strengths go back to the beginning formation of the company and has remained intact through 100 years of existence.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
can't think of any

4.2