Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews

Top EPCM Companies Around
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ALberta17 February 2015
If you're wanting a career in EPCM then Fluor is the place to go. Great company, open, honest management. Typical in many ways of an EPCM, if there is work you're on solid ground, if you're not billable then you time may be limited. Work/Life balance can be sometimes difficult to manage however, it can be achieved.
Pros
Great culture, good people, strong outlook and future.
Cons
Lower pay, bonus structure could use some work
Fluor
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2014
- Work schedule is 9 hours Mon - Thu and 8 hours every other Friday. 80 hours per 2 weeks. 44 hours week one and 36 hours week two.

- I've learned a lot about SAP, procurement systems, and material management.

- In most offices, the corporate culture is good and encourages an atmosphere of knowledge sharing. In my most recent office, this culture has not really been accepted and there is an unfortunate tendency to silo and not share or cross-train.

- In general, the job is not hard, and should not be. The work itself is enjoyable. However, when projects are not bid properly, they end up getting understaffed. For this office, buyers are trying to manage 3- 4 times the number of packages of their US counterparts and I was trying to support 4-5 times the number of buyers of my US counterparts. Because of low staffing levels, project execution suffers and errors are far more frequent than they need to be.

- I get a sense of accomplishment when I help end users solve problems, get their work done, and become more effective and efficient in their jobs.
Pros
Global company, good benefits
Cons
no loyalty to employees
Productive , working in diverse environment
Safety Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mongolia, ON14 November 2015
My day used to start around 7am and finished at 6pm arranging HSE trainings for employees. Making schedule for all employees and working with trainers and attending for weekly meetings and making weekly and monthly reports and archiving the training information . I've learnt how to deal with working long hours . I enjoyed working with my co-workers. There was nothing hard part of my job . I really loved working there . the most enjoyable part was working with foreigners and making a good environment for both coworkers and employees .
Pros
my most faviroute job and coworkers
Cons
nothing
Enjoyable to work with co-workers
Civil/Structural/Architectural PRINCIPAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2015
Fun workplace with supportive colleagues. I enjoyed most of my time dealing with different personalities, nationalities and culture. Normally, in a big company like this with multi-national employees, of course, there are some politics played around involving my peers but they are all easy to get along with, just don't mind them and just concentrate on your task so you will not be affected. Just focus on your job and you will not notice or feel the politics.
Pros
Free Lunches during special events, like Christmas etc., close to my house.
Cons
politics
Overcoming challenges
Electrical Foreman (Current Employee) –  Redwater, AB19 June 2016
As with most construction jobs the daily challenges are met with success. Able to do various installations which include electrical and instrumentation.
Decent place to work
Oil & Gas Project Buyer / Expediter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2015
Fluor is overall a decent place to work. The people are great, the work is interesting, always something to learn, competitive pay, and there are lots of opportunities to work abroad (or so it seemed). Your experience may vary on the projects you work on, and your manager. Overall a good experience.

If you are a new grad, and there is no project work, you may be very expendable. EPCMs need backlog. No backlog and no projects means limited overhead and very little job security. If you have more experience and you have a niche for yourself, you will be fine.
Pros
Lots of opportunites, good people and decent pay
Cons
Job security in EPCM's can suck when there is no backlog
Opportunities for advancement
Construction Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2014
Lots of opportunities for advancement and great management staff that provide mentoring when needed.

Fluor senior management has vision and is taking all the right steps to be a world class leader in the EPC field. Lots of exciting opportunities in Construction org within Fluor.

Benefits are great but no bonuses. Great staff to work with and hard work is recognized and valued.
Proficient, Challenging, and Fun
CSS Electrical and Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 October 2013
A typical day always starts with a safety meeting, and going over the planned work for the day. The unforeseen things that come up on a daily bases, are handled in a professional and proficient manner.

What you learn on every job is that people are people and the needs are all the same; be professional and treat people with respect. If you are doing your job then they will be doing theirs.

The management team are always supportive and believe in open door policies.

My co-workers are always helpful no matter the craft, title, or culture.

The hardest part of the job is to hear of an incident or problem with a co-workers family's and to help them deal with it so that it doesn't effect their job performance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the finished product with no injuries.
Its a good place where you can learn a lot
Document Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2015
If you know your work well then you can make wonders here. Depends what project you are doing and what kind of team you have, generally people are helpful and understanding but I wish Management could have been better.
Pros
Was close to my place
PDDM Department is all about Politics
Current Employee at Fluor PDDM (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray and Calgary Alberta4 June 2013
The company itself is a very good company but the people running the PDDM Management Team is all about politics. They will manage the department from home offices leaving the folks at different site areas on their own. Once you close a project for them, they will cut you lose and forget about all the hard work.

If only PDDM Department does not have politics, Fluor will definitely be a good place to work.
Pros
Average Pay, Courses, Opportunities
Cons
Management making wrongful decisions, does not value people, Will use you to close project for them then lay you off without valid reasons, Relationships between Management and co-workers are very common which is again POLITICS.
Document Control
Lead - Site Project Document Control (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL13 April 2015
I enjoyed working for Fluor. Fluor was one of the best company,s I have ever worked for. The people were great - benefits were very good. With Fluor I learned new systems from mentors. I learned to train other people on the Document Control Systems. Started writing Work Instructions.
The best part of the job was the support I received from all management.

The hardest part of the job was starting a new job with a 5\2 shift and with no rotation I was unable to get home on a regular basis
Cons
5 day work week
detailed and hard working
Building specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2016
I was able to coordinate with all other disciplines like piping, mechanical, electrical and hvac to achieve a proper architectural and structural design in compliance with industry standards and client specs.
I enjoyed problem solving, and get the deliverables on time.
A great place to work, always considered the empolyees well being
Project Administrative Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2016
Provided on going training and encouraged everyone to do at least 25 hours per year. Encouraged employees also to join clubs and take health seriously.
Different place to work, mind you in Afghanistan
Carpenter journieman (Former Employee) –  Afghanistan - Bagram - Sharana29 August 2013
Replacing or rebuilding around the FOB. Every day learning on different culture , people , jobs. Good management bottom to top.Very good and different from all around the world. The i-------s. Going to R & R every 3 months.
Pros
free lunches
Good company
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2015
Fairly good company, good compensation, challenging work. Typical day is very busy. Co-workers are nice, management is good. The only bad thing is the lack of job security.
Pros
compensation
Cons
job security
learned a great deal from this company
PC Support/CADD Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB16 October 2013
I started here as a Desktop Support person and left as a CAD Support. I have learned to see the business from the designing and construction side of things. Management was very supportive in my career path. The hardest part of the job was getting the proper training on the new CAD system to support it. I enjoyed the challenges of learning a role and taking some night courses to try to understand my clients.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
getting training
Great place to work, great people and very respected
SENIOR CIVIL/STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2016
I have worked for a number of Engineering firms in two continents, and I can confidently say, Fluor Calgary has been the most rewarding place to work. Its rather sad that I have to say goodbye, but I had to do leave previously in 08, when the economy slowed also. I cant recommend this company enough!
Pros
Great respectful atmosphere, very professional, and really looks after all staff
Great company to work with they showed such well being for everyone on site.
Safety Supervisor Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 October 2015
I would work for Fluor Energy again in an instant, they have such a high standard for a safety culture which is such a great thing to see and work with, especially with so many contractors and subcontractors and different standards and policies that each has.
Pros
Such an enthusiastic project to work on with everyone striving for the same safety success
Great work environment and teamwork network
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta22 October 2014
Every day presented new challenges and opportunities to learn and enhance your personal professional skill set. Management was very approachable and interacted with the team as if just one of the team. Co workers were very diversified in their skills and all team members shared their experiences with each other.
Pros
Opportunities for career advancement
Cons
Great working environment, employees are friendly and helpful
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2016
Fluor University is a valuable source of the information and knowledge. The company's policies and procedures can be easily found there. This helps to find answers to any questions you may have and learn about the company business.
Monthly conference calls keep you updated on changes or new procedures.

4.2