Fluor Corp.

Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fluor
Sr. Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: global company, good benefits
Cons: no loyalty to employees
- Work schedule is 9 hours Mon - Thu and 8 hours every other Friday. 80 hours per 2 weeks. 44 hours week one and 36 hours week two.

- I've learned a lot about SAP, procurement systems, and material management.

- In most offices, the corporate culture is good and encourages an atmosphere of knowledge sharing. In my most recent office, this culture has not really been accepted and there is an unfortunate tendency to silo and not share or cross-train.

- In general, the job is not hard, and should not be. The work itself is enjoyable. However, when projects are not bid properly, they end up getting understaffed. For this office, buyers are trying to manage 3- 4 times the number of packages of their US counterparts and I was trying to support 4-5 times the number of buyers of my US counterparts. Because of low staffing levels, project execution suffers and errors are far more frequent than they need to be.

- I get a sense of accomplishment when I help end users solve problems, get their work done, and become more effective and efficient in their jobs.
As a Junior I was constantly talked down to and made to feel useless
Junior Piping Draftsperson (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule
Cons: Everything else
I spent 2 years with Fluor Calgary feeling uncomfortable and mistreated. As an inexperienced junior I was led to believe I would become a designer, received the training for the software and was never allowed to use it. I was told not to bother the designers with my questions and year later after my training I was thrown into a busy project and was told I wasn't performing and was even questioned whether I ever attended school.

I was then told that if I performed badly I would get a bad reputation in the industry and would never find another job. I was given 2 weeks to turn things around, during which time I was given other projects to do, never getting around to improving and nothing was ever explained.

I spent the next 5 months getting scraps of work which hardly filled my day. I was told by one of the other managers I was set up to fail. I
was also told that unless you're female or a foreigner you'll take twice as long to get anywhere.

I left shortly thereafter...worst experience of my life.
Typical day.
General Superintendent (Current Employee), Albian Sands, Fort McMurray AlbertaFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: excellent epcm company
Cons: inexperienced client construction team
Typical day involves attending daily contractor morning safety talk, then proceed into field and participate in FLRA plus review completed craft FLRA. I like to tour job site a minimum of twice per day to not only monitor safety but also to be involve in daily progress and keep on top of current and changing events. I have a hands on approach to managing my contractors and promote an open professional atmosphere. Most enjoyable part of construction work is watching the fruit of your labor take shape in a safe productive manner. Perhaps the hardest part of my job is enforcing rules and regulations as this seems to be a never ending responsibility that requires a substantial effort.
Very productive days, great co-workers and environment..
Material Management, Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: my co-workers and the other workers in my building!! they are amazing
Cons: it a long and long hours. you have to be well rested to function properly..
I start work at 7:00 am till 5:30 pm.. I have very productive days and have lots or work to do.. My team in Logistics is amazing and I have learned alot.. The most frusterating part of my job is when the trucking doesnt come thru with what was organized for pick ups... There are usually dilemas and upsets.. I love the accounting aspect of my job as well.. I work closely with the Client in Accounts payable..

I love my job, and love the contacts I have made in the trucking industry.. We work hard together as a team with all the carriers and with my department. Together we can make it happen!! And we will build this site!!
Enjoyable to work with co-workers
Civil/Structural/Architectural PRINCIPAL DESIGNER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 7, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches during special events, like Christmas etc., close to my house.
Cons: politics
Fun workplace with supportive colleagues. I enjoyed most of my time dealing with different personalities, nationalities and culture. Normally, in a big company like this with multi-national employees, of course, there are some politics played around involving my peers but they are all easy to get along with, just don't mind them and just concentrate on your task so you will not be affected. Just focus on your job and you will not notice or feel the politics.
PDDM Department is all about Politics
Current Employee at Fluor PDDM (Current Employee), Fort McMurray and Calgary AlbertaJune 4, 2013
Pros: average pay, courses, opportunities
Cons: management making wrongful decisions, does not value people, will use you to close project for them then lay you off without valid reasons, relationships between management and co-workers are very common which is again politics.
The company itself is a very good company but the people running the PDDM Management Team is all about politics. They will manage the department from home offices leaving the folks at different site areas on their own. Once you close a project for them, they will cut you lose and forget about all the hard work.

If only PDDM Department does not have politics, Fluor will definitely be a good place to work.
Friendly co-workers in a dangerouse environment
Safety Representative/Heavy Truck Operator (Former Employee), Salerno,Bagram AfghanistanOctober 6, 2013
Pros: all meals, laundry and room was free
Cons: heat 130f was intense somedays
Report to office for morning safety meetings
pre-trip and inspect truck
train new employees on route
run regular route
lunch break
complete 2nd half of route
post trip inspection of vehicle
return to office to complete final daily paper work and safety meeting.
After work time to go to the gym for a 2 hr. work out and shower and bed.
I loved working for Fluor, the pay was great and the benefits couldn't be beat!
FLUOR/FGG/Afghanistan/FOB Shank
Plumbing Superintendent (Current Employee), FOB Shank, Logar Province, AfghanistanMarch 8, 2013
Pros: learning different cultures and behaviors of the employees.
Cons: materials are extremely hard to aquire.
I am currently working for Fluor, in Logar, Afghanistan on FOB Shank. I have been working on this FOB for over three and a half years. Before Afghanistan, I worked in Iraq, with KBR, for one year. My position is AO plumbing superintendent for Task Force Bayonet. I oversee the Plumbing Operations on 6 FOB’s in the AO. Required to travel to each FOB. We currently experience IDF activity daily. The most challenging aspect of this job is working with many different nationality's, which creates communication issues.
Great Company
Procurement Technician/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, AB. CanadOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Great managerial skills overall
Cons: none
I would love the opportunity to work with Fluor again. Found Management supportive; Your are not overworked ...although there are tight schedules, particularly on a Project. Fluor trys to keep a work/life balance; in that, they have a gym on site and walking groups: also the Health and Benefits scheme is excellent due mostly to its flexibility. The attitude at Fluor is provide a great service to their Clients; thus it gives the employee a positive swing towards our Clients.
Decent place to work
Oil & Gas Project Buyer / Expediter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: lots of opportunites, good people and decent pay
Cons: job security in epcm's can suck when there is no backlog
Fluor is overall a decent place to work. The people are great, the work is interesting, always something to learn, competitive pay, and there are lots of opportunities to work abroad (or so it seemed). Your experience may vary on the projects you work on, and your manager. Overall a good experience.

If you are a new grad, and there is no project work, you may be very expendable. EPCMs need backlog. No backlog and no projects means limited overhead and very little job security. If you have more experience and you have a niche for yourself, you will be fine.
A Professional Company
Lead Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: a good company
Performed successfully several projects developing, designing and constructing Electrical Power Systems for 220 kV, 138 kV, 69 kV, 34.5 kV, 4.16 kV and lower voltages. The power systems comprised of transmission line, substations, modular Electrical Rooms, SCADA, and EMS equipment.
Responsibilities include Preparing Technical Specifications of Equipment and Systems for the Power Systems. Have several years experience of Maintenance, Construction, Design, Engineering and Development on International Projects
I am a Canadian Citizen and can work under NAFTA agreement in USA without any hastles.
A day at Long Harbor
Piping-Mechanical-Structural QA (Current Employee), Long Harbour, NLMarch 18, 2014
Pros: i work close to home
My day consists of hydro test package review for release before testing to ensure all documentation is correct, (NDE, specification and code requirements). Post review following reinstatement is also required.
-Audits of contractors documentation with regard to welding, torquing, testing.
-Construction surveillances
- Review turnover binders to the client

I have learned a new role here. I have a quality control inspector and this is my first job as a QA advisor.
Productive , working in diverse environment
Safety Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Mongolia, ONNovember 14, 2015
Pros: my most faviroute job and coworkers
Cons: nothing
My day used to start around 7am and finished at 6pm arranging HSE trainings for employees. Making schedule for all employees and working with trainers and attending for weekly meetings and making weekly and monthly reports and archiving the training information . I've learnt how to deal with working long hours . I enjoyed working with my co-workers. There was nothing hard part of my job . I really loved working there . the most enjoyable part was working with foreigners and making a good environment for both coworkers and employees .
Great place to work, great people and very respected
SENIOR CIVIL/STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Great respectful atmosphere, very professional, and really looks after all staff
I have worked for a number of Engineering firms in two continents, and I can confidently say, Fluor Calgary has been the most rewarding place to work. Its rather sad that I have to say goodbye, but I had to do leave previously in 08, when the economy slowed also. I cant recommend this company enough!
This company realy was the best workplace that had been on.
Itermediate Piping Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at Fluor Corp, was always normal to have a some conversations with the co-worker, it was a workplace to learn new program as PDS, and the management was very well organize in the regular bases. The co-workers were so excellent always there were a smile to make it more enjoyable. There were no a hardest part of the job because the environment was so perfect that it was so enjoyable.
Adhers to company guidelines and processes ( budget, Procurement, Expenses, time skeeping)
Lead Cost Control (Former Employee), St johns , NewfoundlandMay 12, 2014
Pros: monthly safety milestones meeting and gift card lottery milestons
Cons: to meet deadlines
* Organize Project control functions and manages time and task effectively

* Apprlies Learning and development my previous experinces

* Work with Professtional Management on the job site to gin knowledge & techanical skills.

* Most enjoyable part site visitng to talk safety tool box.
Structured working environment, encourage learning
Plant Designer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 28, 2013
Pros: large company, everything you can think of has been taken care of. company culture encourages learning
Cons: little sense of control, poor job security, sometime directionless, layoff can be brutal and dumbfounded
Great place to learn and enhance knowledge
Structured and organized, engineering-like large firm
Treat new employee with "free" on-job training
Free to form "small groups"
Fluor was a great place to work. They have a very progressive culture and value system.
Senior Project Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2013
I would work for Fluor again anytime. Fluor has the most impressive knowledgeable people in the EPCM industry. Their processes and procedures are very precise. The people I worked with were helpful, warm and easy to work with. Management on all levels were approachable and willing to listen. Good place to work.
Great work environment and teamwork network
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaOctober 22, 2014
Pros: opportunities for career advancement
Every day presented new challenges and opportunities to learn and enhance your personal professional skill set. Management was very approachable and interacted with the team as if just one of the team. Co workers were very diversified in their skills and all team members shared their experiences with each other.
High quality and safe work envinornment
Material Control Specialist I (Current Employee), BAFJanuary 4, 2014
"Excellence is ordinery here" is our tag line of Fluor RDC Materials.
I have learned a lot from this organization, done all MMG traning and earned HSE Gold Medal with OSHA10, OSHA30.
Management is ver co-operative and encourage growth.
Very hard working co-worker
Best organization to work with