Five Guys Employee Reviews

Productive and highly enjoyable work environment.
Cashier and Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2017
A typical day at work begins with an energetic start to the day preparing items and ingredients for a full day of work which includes large volumes of customers in a fast-paced environment.

This job taught me how to efficiently and effectively work in an very fast-paced environment and how to manage several tasks at once with great proficiency.

The management, while strongly focused on maintaining high levels of performance, are caring and considerate about their employees.

The workplace follows a "work hard, play hard" mentality, effectively creating a fun and enjoyable work environment while also focusing on maintaining high levels of performance.

The hardest part of the job was the initial in-job training and mentality that one needs to adopt to be efficient and effective in this work environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job was providing fun and energetic customer service to customers and creating basic relationships with those customers over time to ensure they would come back again.
Challenging and fast paced
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 May 2017
Overall, working at five guys was a fun and challenging experience! The job offers an environment that requires a lot of attention and the ability to work precisely and quickly.
Good people with bad habits and negative reinforcement.
Crew (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2017
The job is simple, the crew is friendly and easy to get along with.
But there's some kind of stress that prevents the management to actually care about people around them. I found myself proud of my work and excited to bring in a better week, however, that enthusiasm was returned with bull headed stubborn "reinforcement". As if my best and enthusiasm was what they deserve and I'm lucky to even be there.
Pros
You get a meal on your break.
Cons
Management that was put there only because they know how to do their job, not because they actually know how to manage people.
five guys
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC19 April 2017
its by far been the best place i worked, the majority of the staff was really friendly, it gave good work expierence taught me how to work cash registers, the training for the job was really good and professional
Decent workplace
Line (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2017
Wasn't too bad of a workplace. The managers can be really up tight and very stressed out, other than that it was a decent place to work. Very fast paced.
Pros
Free Burgers
productive
Caissière (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC17 April 2017
For my first job experience, I think it helped me with customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job that the other employees were around my age and had the same work experience as me. Great workplace
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and casual place to work
Cashier/Line Cook/Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC4 April 2017
I enjoyed working here as my first job. The wages were minimum and it was alot of physical labour (cleaning, doing dishes, running around). The atmosphere and culture of the restaurant had to be my favourite part of the job.
Pros
secret shopper bonuses
Cons
wages
Fun to work with team members, but the management seems unstable
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2017
All the hype about this place I was expecting it to be a lot better. Burgers were good, but not THAT good, fries weren't that exciting, and for a place that's designed up like an old diner, you'd think they'd at least have gravy for their fries.
Pros
Free Meal, Enjoy working with crews
Cons
Cutting off peoples schedule base on their performance, low salary
Good learning experience regarding the development of some skills
Full-Time Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2017
Working at five guys further improved my communication skills. I learned the sense of urgency in times of busy service. The management could be improved in the sense of being more respectful of employee availability. I enjoyed the food served at five guys so I was very happy with the fact that there was 1 free meal everyday.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Very fast-pacing, teaches you to multitask and to work fast while still meeting company standards, makes great workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON18 March 2017
For the most part, it was fun and fast paced. You learn all parts of the restaurant eventually. I had a few great bosses, but in-store management is constantly changing. My location had a very family-oriented feel, but again, things would constantly be changing making it difficult to maintain a steady, consistent flow. The most difficult aspect of working at five guys was the work load and expectations from head office, making it seem impossible to get everything done and not get penalized or criticized by the corporate managers. You meet a great bunch of people, learn to multitask, work as a team member and what it means to be a hard-working employee.
Pros
free meals, great staff, teamwork
Cons
long hours, lack of consideration, unrealistic expectations
unprofessional, bad business
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON6 March 2017
management is poor and unprofessional.
the crew members are treated poorly and are unhappy with their work environment.
nobody is treated fairly its a horrible place to work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
horrible manager
Productive and great staff
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
The hardest part of this job is closing. Once you work here for more than 4 months, it gets irritating but the people here (co workers) make it bearable.
Pros
Free Lunches, friendly co workers
Cons
Closing shifts are a pain
didnt mind it,
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 January 2017
The Grande prairie location was poorly managed at the time. The rest of the crew and the work was fun. We got free burgers which was a real nice bonus.
Day at Five Guys
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
A day at work would consist of continuous cleaning and serving of guests. Cooking on the grill and dealing with the cashier. Co-workers were all close and friendly. Hardest part of the job would be the closing of the store.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Closing of store
Great tasting food
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2017
Loved the burgers and fries there made to perfection every time and they never fail to please there customers and be on time with customers orders and demands
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
To fast at times and overwhelming during rush hour
Five Guys
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2017
a typical day at five guys begins with morning prep, however much meat and cheese is needed for the day, sending out our orders, and opening the front as we prepare for opening time, i've learned what it really means to work hard and perserve, my crew members and I know how to make work enjoyable, after getting the job done that is.
Amazing burgers and fries.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 December 2016
I could eat their fries for the rest of my life. And their burgers are delectabily delicious. I really loved working there when i started , but once drama got into the picture and the manager started treating me differently , i quit.
Still amazing food though
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lazy workers
it was fun, good experience, most nice co workers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON21 December 2016
Hard day everyday, I learned to fry the potatoes, I did buns and wraps the orders and called them. I learned how to use the cash register, my co-workers were lovely some were very hard on me the first day expected me to get everything perfect when I had just started, this one girl yelled at me and didn't tell me what I did wrong so I could correct my mistake, I was accused of around 80$ missing from my till when in actuality one of the managers counted the till wrong. The hardest part of the job is getting the buns accurate making sure if the customer asked for bacon to make sure there's bacon. The most enjoyable is cash register most of the time just interacting with customers that walk in taking there order. They talk to you about how there day is and ask how mine is going its lovely to have that connection, it shows the customer you care. Overall, it was great nice people, nice place, good pay.
Productive workplace, excellent food
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Working at five guys was my first job. A typical work day for me would start soon after school ended, the shifts were usually between four and eight hours long. Thanks to five guys i learned how to appropriately manage work and social life. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with demand during the dinner rush, easiest part was cleaning dishes and washing floors.
Pros
One free meal per shift, friendly
Cons
hard work, lots of shifts
it was a good job, and a very good experience for the next one. it gets you ready for all other jobs
red shirt normal employee (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON3 November 2016
you get to learn very good and useful skills to help you pursue a better future some of the managers need more practice on how they treat their employees. very great and healthy work environment,
Pros
you get to learn good skills and have good hours
Cons
management needs more practice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Guys. Our community is ready to answer.