Five Guys Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, poor management
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 February 2018
the market has transitioned through countless up management positions over the years and it is not improving at all. Moving up beyond a shift leader is incredibly difficult.
Love the energy
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2018
Always loved waking up to come here. this place had me in a good space with myself and friends. I felt alive working here even after long hours, I still felt good to be there.
Pros
everything
Cons
gets stressful at times
terrible staff, enough said
On - CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 January 2018
If you want to be the only one showing up to work sober for your shift then five guys is for you! Deal with your fellow employees mood swings, possible addictions? & fatigue or intense high states.For me Five Guys (East Gwillimbury Location) seemed alittle too unprofessional and lethargic for my liking plus the public washrooms and employee washroom would always be stunk up my staff smoking. Not the best environment for myself especially working there under age (16)
Pros
free food
Cons
the use of recreational drugs in the workplace
worst company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 January 2018
This company says things but never follow through they say they will take care of there staff but they dont. they treat people like slaves and treat them like they our not important and don't belong. The requirements they ask for are why over board and add an amount of stress that makes working there a none enjoyable experience.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Lots of Cons but to many to list
Front End cashier
Front-End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 December 2017
Process customer payments and responsible handling cash and store closing.
Provide initial training to new team members.
Took necessary steps to meet customer needs and effectively resolve technical or service issues.
Management is horrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON23 December 2017
Worst job ever management is a mess and don’t know how to treat anyone. There constant drama in the work place. And the management likes to go in and get free food whenever they want even tho there not allowed. Management boyfriends will threaten ppl just a horrible work place don’t recommend this location
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Everything else
Area Manger
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan20 December 2017
Company was sold to Five Star Burgers and they were less desirable to work for. I was laid off 3 months after the new company took over but do not think I would have remained on anyway.
Cashier, General worker
Cashier and all food services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2017
Hardest part of the job was long hours on your feet and doing the clean up after the late shift.
Working hard to make sure the orders were correct.
Learned how to correctly use the cash register and take orders and then how to clean up and wash floors.
Pros
Free burger with your shift
Cons
The late shift had to wash floors and clean.
Customer-oriented restaurant with diner-like atmosphere
Supervisor/Store Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 December 2017
As a supervisor and trainer, I have gained experience in food preparation, administrative skills, quality customer service, and quality maintenance of the work place. The atmosphere is intended to feel like a diner, especially given the specialization in burgers and fries and the interior design being of red and white tiles. This establishment is great in providing several opportunities to climb up the career chain, given after three months of employment and a highly noticeable work ethic and dedication to the work culture and service will allow you to apply for a supervisor position. Increases in pay based on position is possible, but slightly low increments depending on the advancement. I would recommend this restaurant as a first job for those seeking employment within the high school/university age range, as it will teach you team work, leadership, and it gives you hands-on learning experience most restaurants do not have.
Pros
Free meals, hands-on learning, capability to move up within company
Cons
Varying stress level situations, standing for long periods of time, long hours
Freindly zone
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 November 2017
Everyone was pretty good towarda each other there were number of good things but the main thing that was a moot cause for leaving this job was long working hours.. we had to work untill midnight.. that was too difficult .
Pros
Free breakes
Cons
Behaviour of the mangers
A typical day at five guys
Cleaner/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 October 2017
I typical day at five guys was starting with food prep and opening the store, taking customer orders and preparing the food, always serving with a smile and a friendly goodbye.
good
Red shirt, Manager in training (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 September 2017
good place to work great everything.never had a problem, good boss, good food, good people, good fun, Nothing bad i can really say about this place. Student job.
Hard working environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON23 September 2017
A lot of work to be done to ensure team requirements as well as individual skills were nurtured properly.

Spent a lot of time coaching and creating a friendly and productive environment for everyone in the workplace.

In return my team and I were able to ensure top quality brand standard audits and secret shopper for everyone to get bonuses.
Don't recommend working here anytime soon!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
Working at Five guys was a nightmare. I had just moved into a new town and this had been my first real job, and while I was supposed to be the new trainee all the employees were so rude to me including the managers. The only bearable time of the day was when I just had to do the cash register. Most days I would leave the end of my shift to get in my car drive home crying in hopes for a phone call for another job interview elsewhere.
Pros
A free burger after you work 4 hours
Cons
Pretty much everything else about this job
Enjoyed working here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2017
Enjoyed the customer interaction, enjoyed the people that I worked with, clean up wasn't fun, hours of operation were late especially through school, manual hard labour
Pros
free lunches
A very busy work place.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2017
A busy workplace that requires a lot of energy, multitasking skills, and a social skills.

There's free lunches, half hour breaks and tips ( about 2 to 5 dollars per day)

There's a lot of mystery shoppers, about once per week, a 100% score leads to a bonus paycheck.

If you work hard and show interest, you could easily be promoted.
Pros
Free lunches, some tips
Cons
closing shifts
Great workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  329 Yonge Street7 September 2017
Salary is great and the team is very diverse. Everyone helps out each other but hours are too long. If you are a student, closing hours may not favour you because of extra cleaning but all in all everything else is
Fun and Interactive
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 September 2017
-Showing up too work was always fun because of the people you worked with (Staff Integrity was 10/10)
-Learned a lot of hard labour and customer satisfactory skills
-Management was unfortunately unorganized
-The Idea of working there was always satisfactory
-The hard labour was too excessive
-Talking with the customers and working with the staff
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Extremely Long hours
Fun crew, terrible business
Food Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 September 2017
This fast food joint had potential but the location i worked at never took off and i had to deal with many hours of dead hours where noone even walked in through the door.
Great workplace for young inexperienced workers.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 August 2017
The work was always fun and enjoyable. it had its share of long and busy days but most of the time the work would fly by.
The work safety and cleanliness was very well prompted and was a major key to the workplaces success.

the only downside i experienced was bad or ill-mannered staff members. some of the managers were abusing their power of being in-charge
Pros
Free food on breaks.
Cons
long closing shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Guys. Our community is ready to answer.