Five Guys Employee Reviews

great people to work with, management is sexist and racist.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2016
as I was hired I was promised a raised and promotion after 3 months. I was not only lied to but I was expected to work harder then all the women and get paid less, wile at the same time these women were given raises and promotions before the three month period. I have plenty of leadership skills, and have owned my own company. I have taken management courses and I am the position I work at. I was being unfairly treated by the main manager.
Pros
free lunch, interchangeable hours, and fun fast paced environment.
Cons
I was treated like a slave, my words were ignored as if I was not a grown man.
A job: at least getting some money while looking for a real job.
All Stations (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 21, 2016
The co-workers and the customers were a joy to work with. Typical day went fast and it was fun. When the manager was there the fun stopped and everyone withdrew to themselves and just put on a show. I learned I will have to watch my back in the future and cover everything that was said and done just in case. The hardest part of the job was watching very good people quitting and or being fired on a constant basis. Management: well guidelines and all.
Pros
Met some amazing people.
Cons
Ill treatment, profit exceeds people
A hard place to work with poor management
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB royal oak plazaFebruary 16, 2016
working here is hard and long most days. The place is really hard to clean and needs constant cleaning because people just throw peanut shells on the floor because they serve free peanuts. They depend too much on their "secret shopper" bonus and don't really give raises and to get the bonus everything has to be perfect. Perfect means constant smiling and always having to be overly nice and working fast with only a 15-30 min break no matter how long the shift.
Pros
free lunch if shift is longer than 5 hours.
Cons
over repeated and loud music
Well maintained, fun active work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 24, 2016
Co-worker and Customer interaction was one of the most enjoyable parts of this job. Being in management helped develop my leadership skills. Opening manager needs to prep food for the entire day (i.e.produce, meat, cheese), ensure previous day's close was completed properly, and count the tills to make sure the right amount was left for the upcoming day's events. Closing manager needs to clean the entire store (i.e.clean all used dishes, sweep,scrub, and mop the floors, filter fryers, and clean grills), and count tills so that the opening manager for the next day is ready to only do opening manager duties.
Pros
Free meal every shift.
Cons
Political Environment at times.
fun workplace
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader,August 23, 2016
Working at this company is a perfect workplace to get an experience because you can learn a lot of different experiences for example, Customer Service you can learn about how to deal with customers, and also it will give you a motivation to work hard every day, because they have a secret shop twice a week where you can get a bonus money. I am proud to say that I've been working at this place for 3 years.
Pros
Free meal every time you work, bonuses, more hours
Cons
Scrubbing the floor every night
Great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be very quick. It would be a fast pace industry on a regular basis. I have learned how to work under pressure without cracking. The management at Five Guys was very professional, respectful, welcoming and considerate as well as the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was preparing meals in a appropriate time matter and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Closing at late hours
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJuly 15, 2016
A fantastic place to work with lots of likeminded people and loud rock music. Free meals for shifts you worked, and reasonable expectations from the management. the hardest thing you had to do was lifting 50lb bags of potatoes, other things are some tight time constraints on getting prep done, but all in all it was pretty fun.
Pros
free lunch, fun staff, classic rock, great food
Cons
minimum wage, very loud environment
Fast paced open kitchen that takes pride in it's Methods and procedures
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 17, 2016
A rush every lunch and dinner. With cleaning responsibilities
How to take and prepare orders effectively and efficiently.
leadership abilities were developed and my work ethic as a whole.
the hardest part of the job is being under staffed which happens often. the most enjoyable is working with food and perfecting the cooking methods along with the procedures.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Cleaning the Kitchen after long hours of utilizing it
Fun fast paced environment, easy to move up.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 23, 2016
I worked here for 2 years already, 4 months as a red shirt employee before I got promoted to a shift leader so depending on your work ethic you can get promoted really fast.

If you work in the morning you prep food, clean the store and when the store opens, you run the line, take customers orders, clean the store more. At night you do the same, only when the store closes you clean for like an hour, depending on how fast or slow you are.

There are weekly bonuses.

My store in Brampton is slower compared to the downtown ones, so we had to work with fewer employees while the company still expected the same results (good food, clean store, etc), and that's probably the hardest part. It's like having 3 people to do a 4 or 5 person job.

But because its slow its pretty chill and you can have a bit of fun with your coworkers. ;)
Pros
Free food, 30-40 hours a week for shift leaders, bonuses
Cons
Short hours for normal employees (10-26 hours), Short staff in slow stores, repetitive jobs in high volume stores
Good environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Amazing job with great advancement opportunities. Training is amazing and the knowledge you obtain is incredible. The owners, operational consultant, and all level of management are very hands-on with the business. It is a great job for people who need full time flexible hours. Highly recommend this as a place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good hours
Fun, productive, amazing place to work.
Grey Sirt/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Productive workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QCJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed greatly working at five guys, I've learned a lot about time management, due to the fact that everything there needed to be fast passed at all time! My co workers were fun too work with and I enjoyed working with them, I currently still talk to them. The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure everything is running smoothly
Pros
Free lunch
Great work environment
Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 23, 2016
It was an outstanding work environment with a lot of different characters that got along extremely well. The process of making the food was enjoyable and it felt good to be working there. Unfortunately, the hours when I worked there weren't flexible enough.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hours were frequently cut early
Not Set Up For Sucess
GM (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 7, 2016
Key Holder of business, responsible for all staffing, scheduling, hiring, training, inventory audits and customer service.

Management needs assistance, too many responsibilities for one person to manage on their own, especially for a high turnover fast food franchise type of business. Job would have been far more successful with trained assistant manager.
Fun work place experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJuly 1, 2016
As an employer I learned how to properly deal with customers, with this knowledge I'm able to expand my knowledge upon the work force and new skills and abilities are taught to those who are open minded and willing to learn, the upbeat environment is what kept me motivated.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Shifts
Was a fun experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 8, 2016
It was a fun experience working at Five Guys, however I did not enjoy the amount of cleaning that was required for closing. Sometimes it would take hours to close due to cleaning
Pros
Good management
Cons
Closing
My Five Guys experience
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
The other cooks were always great fun and hard working, they helped me out whenever I needed it. The food was delicious, but expensive. I think the managers are great guys.
Pros
Free burger every min 5 hour shift
Cons
Came home smelling like grease
productive teamwork and nice to work
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2016
i always cooking fries in FIVE GUYS. it nice to work in FIVE GUYS. the hardest part when we are closing because i need to dish all the oily materials.
Pros
FREE ORDER
Very go go go, on time get it out there
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 23, 2016
I was only the weekend baker so i have to prepare everything new Saturday morning to go through the weekend, Got the bagels, muffins, donuts, and other baked goods done before 8 am. also unload truck and so much more.
Very flexible schedule
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
Supportive and understanding management
Allowed me to enhance my customer service skills
A typical day at work would be everyone communicating with each other about the orders in order to not have any customers waiting for long