Five Guys Employee Reviews

Productive workplace, excellent food
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Working at five guys was my first job. A typical work day for me would start soon after school ended, the shifts were usually between four and eight hours long. Thanks to five guys i learned how to appropriately manage work and social life. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with demand during the dinner rush, easiest part was cleaning dishes and washing floors.
Pros
One free meal per shift, friendly
Cons
hard work, lots of shifts
Terrible first job experience
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2016
Horrible experience as a first job. It started out okay with some training in the kitchen and on the floor but after the first couple of weeks, I would usually work out on the floor cleaning tables or sweeping the floor, which was the dirty work no one else wanted. I was also only getting about four hours a week, and whenever it was not busy the manager would ask me to leave. There was one time I only got around $30 on a paycheck.
Pros
Free meal after every shift
Cons
Treated poorly
fun workplace
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader,23 August 2016
Working at this company is a perfect workplace to get an experience because you can learn a lot of different experiences for example, Customer Service you can learn about how to deal with customers, and also it will give you a motivation to work hard every day, because they have a secret shop twice a week where you can get a bonus money. I am proud to say that I've been working at this place for 3 years.
Pros
Free meal every time you work, bonuses, more hours
Cons
Scrubbing the floor every night
Good environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
Amazing job with great advancement opportunities. Training is amazing and the knowledge you obtain is incredible. The owners, operational consultant, and all level of management are very hands-on with the business. It is a great job for people who need full time flexible hours. Highly recommend this as a place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good hours
Fun, productive, amazing place to work.
Grey Sirt/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 September 2016
work environment was pleasant with with customers but disrepectful general manager
Kitchen Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
- was given the bare minimum of 6 hours a week by the general manager every week so the work hours for me were extremely low. The work shedule is based off availablity of workers neeeded.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours vary down to 6 hours a week
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 July 2016
A fantastic place to work with lots of likeminded people and loud rock music. Free meals for shifts you worked, and reasonable expectations from the management. the hardest thing you had to do was lifting 50lb bags of potatoes, other things are some tight time constraints on getting prep done, but all in all it was pretty fun.
Pros
free lunch, fun staff, classic rock, great food
Cons
minimum wage, very loud environment
Well maintained, fun active work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 June 2016
Co-worker and Customer interaction was one of the most enjoyable parts of this job. Being in management helped develop my leadership skills. Opening manager needs to prep food for the entire day (i.e.produce, meat, cheese), ensure previous day's close was completed properly, and count the tills to make sure the right amount was left for the upcoming day's events. Closing manager needs to clean the entire store (i.e.clean all used dishes, sweep,scrub, and mop the floors, filter fryers, and clean grills), and count tills so that the opening manager for the next day is ready to only do opening manager duties.
Pros
Free meal every shift.
Cons
Political Environment at times.
Great work environment
Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2016
It was an outstanding work environment with a lot of different characters that got along extremely well. The process of making the food was enjoyable and it felt good to be working there. Unfortunately, the hours when I worked there weren't flexible enough.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hours were frequently cut early
fun and energetic workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
productive and enjoyable workplace to work with good co-workers and management lots of fun serving the oh so perfect fries and burger with the costumer and five guys make sure all is fresh prepared every morning before the store opens.
Pros
free food on breaktime
Productive workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC7 July 2016
I enjoyed greatly working at five guys, I've learned a lot about time management, due to the fact that everything there needed to be fast passed at all time! My co workers were fun too work with and I enjoyed working with them, I currently still talk to them. The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure everything is running smoothly
Pros
Free lunch
Very fast pace enviroment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 October 2016
Team work and communication is need to work is this environment. People are great, everyone is fun to work with and very reasonable. hardest part of the job is rush hour, trying to keep up with all the orders that come through the door.
Fast paced open kitchen that takes pride in it's Methods and procedures
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 May 2016
A rush every lunch and dinner. With cleaning responsibilities
How to take and prepare orders effectively and efficiently.
leadership abilities were developed and my work ethic as a whole.
the hardest part of the job is being under staffed which happens often. the most enjoyable is working with food and perfecting the cooking methods along with the procedures.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Cleaning the Kitchen after long hours of utilizing it
Not Set Up For Sucess
GM (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2016
Key Holder of business, responsible for all staffing, scheduling, hiring, training, inventory audits and customer service.

Management needs assistance, too many responsibilities for one person to manage on their own, especially for a high turnover fast food franchise type of business. Job would have been far more successful with trained assistant manager.
Fun work place experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON1 July 2016
As an employer I learned how to properly deal with customers, with this knowledge I'm able to expand my knowledge upon the work force and new skills and abilities are taught to those who are open minded and willing to learn, the upbeat environment is what kept me motivated.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Shifts
My Five Guys experience
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
The other cooks were always great fun and hard working, they helped me out whenever I needed it. The food was delicious, but expensive. I think the managers are great guys.
Pros
Free burger every min 5 hour shift
Cons
Came home smelling like grease
its an amazing place to work
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK19 October 2016
as I said it"s amazing work place to work with. There are many things to learn and i got to learn many things anfd it is a great experience. Good crew, bonuses,
Great job, poor management
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 October 2016
I recently quit five guys, which was a long time coming. I used to love coming into work because there was structure with the work and everyone had a set job they had to do. I definitely learned how to become a better worker. I learned how to handle customers better and how to stay composed while working in a rush. I would have stayed there throughout my entire college, but, i could no longer work with the poor management. I went through 4 different managers while i worked there and the first 3 were good, but, the last one I had was horrible. The manager does not know how to handle difficult situations, they are unable to communicate properly with employees, they put employees down with verbally abusive behaviour, and they make employees feel worthless. The management is always on employees to up sell, but, never give any recognition to the top sellers. Overall, the environment is great and 90% of the employees are amazing people, there are just a select few managers who should not be in management and need more training.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor management, short breaks between shifts, rarely days off
Very go go go, on time get it out there
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2016
I was only the weekend baker so i have to prepare everything new Saturday morning to go through the weekend, Got the bagels, muffins, donuts, and other baked goods done before 8 am. also unload truck and so much more.
productive teamwork and nice to work
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2016
i always cooking fries in FIVE GUYS. it nice to work in FIVE GUYS. the hardest part when we are closing because i need to dish all the oily materials.
Pros
FREE ORDER