Five Guys Employee Reviews

Good environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
Amazing job with great advancement opportunities. Training is amazing and the knowledge you obtain is incredible. The owners, operational consultant, and all level of management are very hands-on with the business. It is a great job for people who need full time flexible hours. Highly recommend this as a place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good hours
Fun, productive, amazing place to work.
Grey Sirt/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 September 2016
great people to work with, management is sexist and racist.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2016
as I was hired I was promised a raised and promotion after 3 months. I was not only lied to but I was expected to work harder then all the women and get paid less, wile at the same time these women were given raises and promotions before the three month period. I have plenty of leadership skills, and have owned my own company. I have taken management courses and I am the position I work at. I was being unfairly treated by the main manager.
Pros
free lunch, interchangeable hours, and fun fast paced environment.
Cons
I was treated like a slave, my words were ignored as if I was not a grown man.
Great job, poor management
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 October 2016
I recently quit five guys, which was a long time coming. I used to love coming into work because there was structure with the work and everyone had a set job they had to do. I definitely learned how to become a better worker. I learned how to handle customers better and how to stay composed while working in a rush. I would have stayed there throughout my entire college, but, i could no longer work with the poor management. I went through 4 different managers while i worked there and the first 3 were good, but, the last one I had was horrible. The manager does not know how to handle difficult situations, they are unable to communicate properly with employees, they put employees down with verbally abusive behaviour, and they make employees feel worthless. The management is always on employees to up sell, but, never give any recognition to the top sellers. Overall, the environment is great and 90% of the employees are amazing people, there are just a select few managers who should not be in management and need more training.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor management, short breaks between shifts, rarely days off
it was a good job, and a very good experience for the next one. it gets you ready for all other jobs
red shirt normal employee (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON3 November 2016
you get to learn very good and useful skills to help you pursue a better future some of the managers need more practice on how they treat their employees. very great and healthy work environment,
Pros
you get to learn good skills and have good hours
Cons
management needs more practice
Horribly Managed Store
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
I recently just quit from being a red shirt here because the management is absolutely horrendous. The general manager would never offer help or come into the store for a no show. They have had many times where the store was closed with only two people. Is that even allowed?

One time on my shift one of the grey shirts decided to get up and change into his regular everyday clothes and do some type of errands leaving myself and another red shirt on line to deal with a rush. Completely irresponsible. That same grey shirt also hops in the garbage room and smokes weed. Never complained because I didn't know if anybody would believe me but I'm sure you can see him running to the back after 10pm right before we start closing.

Another grey shirt that trains new people always teaches them "shortcuts" before the real way and would say "You can do it this way but when the higher ups are here you gotta do it this way."

Also, the general manager had scheduled one of the new girls for 2 hour shifts. Lol is that even legal?

I just think this place needs to be rehabilitated because they've gotten away with so much and it honestly shocks me. For such a well established name, this place doesn't live up to it.
Pros
Free lunch, lenient.
Cons
Irresponsible Managers
fun workplace
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader,23 August 2016
Working at this company is a perfect workplace to get an experience because you can learn a lot of different experiences for example, Customer Service you can learn about how to deal with customers, and also it will give you a motivation to work hard every day, because they have a secret shop twice a week where you can get a bonus money. I am proud to say that I've been working at this place for 3 years.
Pros
Free meal every time you work, bonuses, more hours
Cons
Scrubbing the floor every night
Five Guys
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2017
a typical day at five guys begins with morning prep, however much meat and cheese is needed for the day, sending out our orders, and opening the front as we prepare for opening time, i've learned what it really means to work hard and perserve, my crew members and I know how to make work enjoyable, after getting the job done that is.
Well maintained, fun active work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 June 2016
Co-worker and Customer interaction was one of the most enjoyable parts of this job. Being in management helped develop my leadership skills. Opening manager needs to prep food for the entire day (i.e.produce, meat, cheese), ensure previous day's close was completed properly, and count the tills to make sure the right amount was left for the upcoming day's events. Closing manager needs to clean the entire store (i.e.clean all used dishes, sweep,scrub, and mop the floors, filter fryers, and clean grills), and count tills so that the opening manager for the next day is ready to only do opening manager duties.
Pros
Free meal every shift.
Cons
Political Environment at times.
it was fun, good experience, most nice co workers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON21 December 2016
Hard day everyday, I learned to fry the potatoes, I did buns and wraps the orders and called them. I learned how to use the cash register, my co-workers were lovely some were very hard on me the first day expected me to get everything perfect when I had just started, this one girl yelled at me and didn't tell me what I did wrong so I could correct my mistake, I was accused of around 80$ missing from my till when in actuality one of the managers counted the till wrong. The hardest part of the job is getting the buns accurate making sure if the customer asked for bacon to make sure there's bacon. The most enjoyable is cash register most of the time just interacting with customers that walk in taking there order. They talk to you about how there day is and ask how mine is going its lovely to have that connection, it shows the customer you care. Overall, it was great nice people, nice place, good pay.
fun and energetic workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
productive and enjoyable workplace to work with good co-workers and management lots of fun serving the oh so perfect fries and burger with the costumer and five guys make sure all is fresh prepared every morning before the store opens.
Pros
free food on breaktime
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 July 2016
A fantastic place to work with lots of likeminded people and loud rock music. Free meals for shifts you worked, and reasonable expectations from the management. the hardest thing you had to do was lifting 50lb bags of potatoes, other things are some tight time constraints on getting prep done, but all in all it was pretty fun.
Pros
free lunch, fun staff, classic rock, great food
Cons
minimum wage, very loud environment
A job: at least getting some money while looking for a real job.
All Stations (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 February 2016
The co-workers and the customers were a joy to work with. Typical day went fast and it was fun. When the manager was there the fun stopped and everyone withdrew to themselves and just put on a show. I learned I will have to watch my back in the future and cover everything that was said and done just in case. The hardest part of the job was watching very good people quitting and or being fired on a constant basis. Management: well guidelines and all.
Pros
Met some amazing people.
Cons
Ill treatment, profit exceeds people
A hard place to work with poor management
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB royal oak plaza16 February 2016
working here is hard and long most days. The place is really hard to clean and needs constant cleaning because people just throw peanut shells on the floor because they serve free peanuts. They depend too much on their "secret shopper" bonus and don't really give raises and to get the bonus everything has to be perfect. Perfect means constant smiling and always having to be overly nice and working fast with only a 15-30 min break no matter how long the shift.
Pros
free lunch if shift is longer than 5 hours.
Cons
over repeated and loud music
Productive workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC7 July 2016
I enjoyed greatly working at five guys, I've learned a lot about time management, due to the fact that everything there needed to be fast passed at all time! My co workers were fun too work with and I enjoyed working with them, I currently still talk to them. The hardest part about my job would have to be making sure everything is running smoothly
Pros
Free lunch
Productive workplace, excellent food
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Working at five guys was my first job. A typical work day for me would start soon after school ended, the shifts were usually between four and eight hours long. Thanks to five guys i learned how to appropriately manage work and social life. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with demand during the dinner rush, easiest part was cleaning dishes and washing floors.
Pros
One free meal per shift, friendly
Cons
hard work, lots of shifts
work environment was pleasant with with customers but disrepectful general manager
Kitchen Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
- was given the bare minimum of 6 hours a week by the general manager every week so the work hours for me were extremely low. The work shedule is based off availablity of workers neeeded.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours vary down to 6 hours a week
Fast paced open kitchen that takes pride in it's Methods and procedures
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 May 2016
A rush every lunch and dinner. With cleaning responsibilities
How to take and prepare orders effectively and efficiently.
leadership abilities were developed and my work ethic as a whole.
the hardest part of the job is being under staffed which happens often. the most enjoyable is working with food and perfecting the cooking methods along with the procedures.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Cleaning the Kitchen after long hours of utilizing it
Terrible first job experience
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2016
Horrible experience as a first job. It started out okay with some training in the kitchen and on the floor but after the first couple of weeks, I would usually work out on the floor cleaning tables or sweeping the floor, which was the dirty work no one else wanted. I was also only getting about four hours a week, and whenever it was not busy the manager would ask me to leave. There was one time I only got around $30 on a paycheck.
Pros
Free meal after every shift
Cons
Treated poorly
Not Set Up For Sucess
GM (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2016
Key Holder of business, responsible for all staffing, scheduling, hiring, training, inventory audits and customer service.

Management needs assistance, too many responsibilities for one person to manage on their own, especially for a high turnover fast food franchise type of business. Job would have been far more successful with trained assistant manager.