Five Guys Employee Reviews

Fun to work with team members, but the management seems unstable
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2017
All the hype about this place I was expecting it to be a lot better. Burgers were good, but not THAT good, fries weren't that exciting, and for a place that's designed up like an old diner, you'd think they'd at least have gravy for their fries.
Pros
Free Meal, Enjoy working with crews
Cons
Cutting off peoples schedule base on their performance, low salary
Very fast-pacing, teaches you to multitask and to work fast while still meeting company standards, makes great workers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON18 March 2017
For the most part, it was fun and fast paced. You learn all parts of the restaurant eventually. I had a few great bosses, but in-store management is constantly changing. My location had a very family-oriented feel, but again, things would constantly be changing making it difficult to maintain a steady, consistent flow. The most difficult aspect of working at five guys was the work load and expectations from head office, making it seem impossible to get everything done and not get penalized or criticized by the corporate managers. You meet a great bunch of people, learn to multitask, work as a team member and what it means to be a hard-working employee.
Pros
free meals, great staff, teamwork
Cons
long hours, lack of consideration, unrealistic expectations
unprofessional, bad business
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON6 March 2017
management is poor and unprofessional.
the crew members are treated poorly and are unhappy with their work environment.
nobody is treated fairly its a horrible place to work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
horrible manager
Productive and great staff
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
The hardest part of this job is closing. Once you work here for more than 4 months, it gets irritating but the people here (co workers) make it bearable.
Pros
Free Lunches, friendly co workers
Cons
Closing shifts are a pain
didnt mind it,
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 January 2017
The Grande prairie location was poorly managed at the time. The rest of the crew and the work was fun. We got free burgers which was a real nice bonus.
Day at Five Guys
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2017
A day at work would consist of continuous cleaning and serving of guests. Cooking on the grill and dealing with the cashier. Co-workers were all close and friendly. Hardest part of the job would be the closing of the store.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Closing of store
Great tasting food
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2017
Loved the burgers and fries there made to perfection every time and they never fail to please there customers and be on time with customers orders and demands
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
To fast at times and overwhelming during rush hour
Five Guys
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2017
a typical day at five guys begins with morning prep, however much meat and cheese is needed for the day, sending out our orders, and opening the front as we prepare for opening time, i've learned what it really means to work hard and perserve, my crew members and I know how to make work enjoyable, after getting the job done that is.
Amazing burgers and fries.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 December 2016
I could eat their fries for the rest of my life. And their burgers are delectabily delicious. I really loved working there when i started , but once drama got into the picture and the manager started treating me differently , i quit.
Still amazing food though
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lazy workers
it was fun, good experience, most nice co workers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON21 December 2016
Hard day everyday, I learned to fry the potatoes, I did buns and wraps the orders and called them. I learned how to use the cash register, my co-workers were lovely some were very hard on me the first day expected me to get everything perfect when I had just started, this one girl yelled at me and didn't tell me what I did wrong so I could correct my mistake, I was accused of around 80$ missing from my till when in actuality one of the managers counted the till wrong. The hardest part of the job is getting the buns accurate making sure if the customer asked for bacon to make sure there's bacon. The most enjoyable is cash register most of the time just interacting with customers that walk in taking there order. They talk to you about how there day is and ask how mine is going its lovely to have that connection, it shows the customer you care. Overall, it was great nice people, nice place, good pay.
Productive workplace, excellent food
Red Shirt (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Working at five guys was my first job. A typical work day for me would start soon after school ended, the shifts were usually between four and eight hours long. Thanks to five guys i learned how to appropriately manage work and social life. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with demand during the dinner rush, easiest part was cleaning dishes and washing floors.
Pros
One free meal per shift, friendly
Cons
hard work, lots of shifts
it was a good job, and a very good experience for the next one. it gets you ready for all other jobs
red shirt normal employee (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON3 November 2016
you get to learn very good and useful skills to help you pursue a better future some of the managers need more practice on how they treat their employees. very great and healthy work environment,
Pros
you get to learn good skills and have good hours
Cons
management needs more practice
work environment was pleasant with with customers but disrepectful general manager
Kitchen Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2016
- was given the bare minimum of 6 hours a week by the general manager every week so the work hours for me were extremely low. The work shedule is based off availablity of workers neeeded.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours vary down to 6 hours a week
fun and energetic workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2016
productive and enjoyable workplace to work with good co-workers and management lots of fun serving the oh so perfect fries and burger with the costumer and five guys make sure all is fresh prepared every morning before the store opens.
Pros
free food on breaktime
Very fast pace enviroment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 October 2016
Team work and communication is need to work is this environment. People are great, everyone is fun to work with and very reasonable. hardest part of the job is rush hour, trying to keep up with all the orders that come through the door.
its an amazing place to work
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK19 October 2016
as I said it"s amazing work place to work with. There are many things to learn and i got to learn many things anfd it is a great experience. Good crew, bonuses,
Great job, poor management
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 October 2016
I recently quit five guys, which was a long time coming. I used to love coming into work because there was structure with the work and everyone had a set job they had to do. I definitely learned how to become a better worker. I learned how to handle customers better and how to stay composed while working in a rush. I would have stayed there throughout my entire college, but, i could no longer work with the poor management. I went through 4 different managers while i worked there and the first 3 were good, but, the last one I had was horrible. The manager does not know how to handle difficult situations, they are unable to communicate properly with employees, they put employees down with verbally abusive behaviour, and they make employees feel worthless. The management is always on employees to up sell, but, never give any recognition to the top sellers. Overall, the environment is great and 90% of the employees are amazing people, there are just a select few managers who should not be in management and need more training.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
poor management, short breaks between shifts, rarely days off
Terrible first job experience
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2016
Horrible experience as a first job. It started out okay with some training in the kitchen and on the floor but after the first couple of weeks, I would usually work out on the floor cleaning tables or sweeping the floor, which was the dirty work no one else wanted. I was also only getting about four hours a week, and whenever it was not busy the manager would ask me to leave. There was one time I only got around $30 on a paycheck.
Pros
Free meal after every shift
Cons
Treated poorly
Horribly Managed Store
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 September 2016
I recently just quit from being a red shirt here because the management is absolutely horrendous. The general manager would never offer help or come into the store for a no show. They have had many times where the store was closed with only two people. Is that even allowed?

One time on my shift one of the grey shirts decided to get up and change into his regular everyday clothes and do some type of errands leaving myself and another red shirt on line to deal with a rush. Completely irresponsible. That same grey shirt also hops in the garbage room and smokes weed. Never complained because I didn't know if anybody would believe me but I'm sure you can see him running to the back after 10pm right before we start closing.

Another grey shirt that trains new people always teaches them "shortcuts" before the real way and would say "You can do it this way but when the higher ups are here you gotta do it this way."

Also, the general manager had scheduled one of the new girls for 2 hour shifts. Lol is that even legal?

I just think this place needs to be rehabilitated because they've gotten away with so much and it honestly shocks me. For such a well established name, this place doesn't live up to it.
Pros
Free lunch, lenient.
Cons
Irresponsible Managers
Good environment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
Amazing job with great advancement opportunities. Training is amazing and the knowledge you obtain is incredible. The owners, operational consultant, and all level of management are very hands-on with the business. It is a great job for people who need full time flexible hours. Highly recommend this as a place to work.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good hours