Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Five Guys Burgers and Fries Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and friendly but not a lot of job advancement
Shift leader (Former Employee), Nepean OntarioMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free meal every shift
Cons: not much room for advancement
Overall I enjoyed working there but in the end without much advancement apart from one promotion I decided to leave. It was fun though and every member of the staff was close
fun workplace while working us hard
Cashier (Current Employee), Orleans, OttawaMarch 16, 2015
a typical day at work starting in the morning would be to get to work, and get everything ready for opening at 11 am. I would open the lobby, put drink machine together, prep food if needed, clean bathrooms, sweep floors, and stock everything. I have learned how to work hard, and to be a team player. Management was good sometimes and not so great other times, there were obviously better managers then some. Co-workers were fun, great and hard working and encouraged me to work.
There is no hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with customers.
yhgf
Caissière (Current Employee), montrealMarch 16, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short hours
geting ready the merchendise for the day taking orders and and following the dally rules of the shop. having fun with the team .
Learnt excellent customer service skills
Team Member (Former Employee), ottawaMarch 2, 2015
Working at Five Guys was a very exciting setting as it was my first job. I was a crew member and was responsible for taking customer orders, I had to maintain fast, accurate service, and positive guest relations. It had taught me to work as a team member.
Overly serious
Cook (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: disorganized and immature management
The management is very messy. Since I worked there, I had three different managers and that wasn't even within a full year. The supervisors were too young and unprofessional. It seems they will hire just about anybody to do the job. At one point they tried to get everyone to quit by giving them one shift a week or straight up firing them. The manager who tried to get rid of me would go around the store telling people he fired my brother. I guess he was trying to get me irritated so that I would quit. They take their image way too seriously. One of the rules was that you couldn't say "no problem" when someone said thank you for their meal. The reason: "It demeans our work and makes it seem like its something that's easy to do". Flipping burgers and dropping fries is easy work but they make it sound so complicated. My brother was told he would be promoted a few times but it never happened. The supervisors use to sell drugs during or after shifts and the manager used to change dates on the food labels.
Fun place to work
Employee (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2015
A fun place to work and to make friends at the same time. On a typical day at work everyone is assigned aspecific task that he needs to follow.
Very good company with bad management
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2014
When I first learned about this company I was so exited because they have very good reputation in USA about their food product and service I took their job offer right a way, but after that my experience with this company was so bitter, because local district managers lack of experience in management and lack of communication between head office and store level management team. They need to improve their motivation techniques and learn to recognize the effort the team members are putting on.
horrible
cook (Former Employee), stoney creekDecember 16, 2014
Cons: horrible place to work
I worked at one in Hamilton for a while, they re-time expired food. Horrible managers who harass the crew, the food is very overpriced. They yell at employees. You can't advance pass minimum wage unless you become a manager, they always say if you pass mystery shop you will get money but you never do. Worst place I have ever worked, wouldn't reccomend it to anyone unless you wanna deal with rude managers, low paying job and a horrible work environment. The managers Also steal the tips.
Good place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee), MontrealNovember 9, 2014
Decent for a first job, good sense of teamwork with coworkers, fun environment, flexible hours.
Horrible company to work with
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 6, 2014
Advise not to work with this company. Poor wage and not a healthy working culture.
Good job overall, hard work that pays off
Crew (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, ABAugust 5, 2014
in a typical day at work, I close down the store at 10 pm, and make sure the entire kitchen/lobby are clean from top to bottom. Before we close, I also engage in customer service, and handle the kitchen, respectively, with at least 2 other people.
Productive workplace with a free staff meal
Crew member (Current Employee), 2150 Burnhamthorpe Road WestJune 20, 2014
An easy-going job surrounded with a friendly team. Managers and crew members work together towards being the best to serve guests a great experience at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Communication is key and demonstrated throughout the shift to interact with the crew and guests.
too many cliques and if you were not part of one, one did not fit in no matter how hard you worked or how loyal you were to the company
Full-Time Prep and Line Cook (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 26, 2014
Pros: free lunch, free parking, got the hours i wanted and weekends off
Cons: people texting on the line, new hires not using their training to do the proper job, not using initiative to get work done
typical day started at 8 a.m. did prep work for the day, opened at 11 a.m. worked on the grill and was extremely proficient in this area. I learned that you could not trust any of the co-workers as they were very quick to go to managers. One of the managers was great, but he left - the younger managers or shift leaders really did not have what it took to properly manage the store. The hardest part of the job was picking up the slack when younger people didn't really feel like working. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to listen to music while I worked and got to meet alot of really nice people who visited the establishment.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Équipier et Chef de Quart (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 16, 2014
Providing excellent customer service and seeing the customers walk away with a smile on their faces, the employees always made a shift fun.
Better than McDonald's
Cashier (Former Employee), Lethbridge AB CanadaMay 5, 2014
Pros: free meals, great pay, good music.
Cons: long night hours
It isn't a bad place to work if you like manual labour after closing hours. The people I worked with were a lot of fun and I had good managers. The long hours and constant oldies music was driving me a little crazy, but overall a fun place to work.
fast paced work environment
Junior Manager (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCApril 5, 2014
Pros: free meal each shift
Cons: management expectations
A typical day consisted of talking to the opening manager to see how everything went in the morning and see if anymore prep will need to be done. Then assigning positions to team members on the shift and the day/night carries out. Then if closing carrying out the closing tasks.

I learned it is very hard and stressful working in a fast food based environment. However I learned basic management tasks like how to manage tough situations.

The management was disorganized and had double standards. it was hard to keep up with everything that was changing. However, my coworkers were amazing and supportive through everything. They were the reason that I was able to succeed.

The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the expectations of the higher up management, but the co workers were the ones that made the whole experience enjoyable.
Great environment with the most outgoing nice people!
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee), Stittsville, ONNovember 23, 2013
I worked at Five Guys for just a few months and I would've stayed if it wasn't so far from home and wasn't in school. Always enjoyed being at work even for the long shifts or early in the morning everyone made it very comfortable and a relaxed but productive environment.
A great place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABOctober 18, 2013
Pros: free lunch, and the staff
Cons: wage, and no room to advance
A busy place with great people and customers. I learned I can do anything I set my mind to, and exceed in it.
bad management
Crew Member (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 1 shift a week worth 4 hours
working at five guys, especially the location at yonge and dundas was the biggest mistake of my life. the managers were so unprofessional. there was no advancement in the company unless the manager liked you. they played favoritism within the employees. they hire and fire with a snap of a finger, so you could be working there for 2 days and if they dont like you you're gone. they constantly accuse people of stealing money from the cash register. never will i work there again in my life.
a very bad company to work for
cashier/cook (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 11, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: everything else
never has any hours for full time staff yet continues to hire more and more people