Five Guys Burgers and Fries Employee Reviews

fun relaxed work environment
manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONNovember 9, 2015
one of the best places to work great management very laid back but also serious when needed. Secret shopper bonus money ($40-50) extra on your pay.
Pros
Free meals one per shift, always great people to work with, secret shopper
Cons
no employee discount
Fun workplace with incredible management
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 5, 2015
The moment I stepped into the work place I had to transform into a bubbly, extroverted worker as this was the Five Guys brand. I loved all of my co workers and managers because of how understanding they were. The only con about the work place was how greasy I became after each shift, this was something I learned to tolerate and deal with however.
Pros
Free meals every time I worked
Cons
Poor work conditions (grease all over the restaurant)
Hard work, but it's steady
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONOctober 27, 2015
The kind of work day often depended on what manager was on duty, when I was a crew member, and understaffing was a chronic issue considering our volume of traffic. As a shift leader, I was never really off duty, because there were so few of us -- always had to have a phone on hand in case someone couldn't handle something or they asked you to come in due to the understaffing. There was almost no separation between my off-work life and my work life.
Pros
One free meal per shift
Cons
As a shift leader, I was never really off duty.
N/A
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 27, 2015
its a good company. fun place to work. learned a lot of new things which leads to build up my career. learned about managing, organizing, leadership.
First Job, Learned alot
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  TorontoOctober 4, 2015
I learned how to deal with customers with their different moods. Enjoyed the happy atmosphere with my co-workers who helped me to learn multi-tasking. Overall good experience with motivated staff.
Pros
Free Food and Flexible Schedule
Cons
Much work as compared to pay rate
Fun exciting place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 29, 2015
Team was awesome. Manager was fun, owners were a little relaxed but still got the job done when you saw them. Food was amazing, cleanest place I ever worked.
Pros
Free food, fun times, after work parties
Cons
productive, energetic co-workers, face paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  woodbridge,onAugust 29, 2015
fun place to work, friendly and energetic co-workers
was able to build on skills and work in a busy environment.
made many life long friends while working with them, also created a good relationship with my managers. Great company to build and learn new skills.
Great People, Great Management. Not given the hours i was promised in interview.
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Newmarket ONJuly 8, 2015
During my interview in May, the GM promised me that the hours would pick up to at least 30 a week when the summer picked up. I would not be posting my resume on Indeed right now had the GM been able to fulfil her promise of 30 hours a week.

Other than that one concern, everything else about the job has been and will continue to be an excellent experience. A typical day at work is working in an extremely fast paced environment cooking up delicious burgers and fries for massive line ups of hungry customers.

The Management is excellent. My co-workers are largely nice people, and easy to work with. The Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace of a busy restaurant for myself (however as time went on, that became my favourite part of working in the restaurant! Time flies when you are having fun and working hard!).

The most enjoyable part of the job is probably seeing the satisfied faces of the customers when they get that extra scoop of fries in their meal. When the only complaint you receive at a restaurant is, "you are putting to many fries in!" you know that restaurant is doing something right.

Overall, if you are looking for a fulfilling part time job (I stress, part time. As you wont be getting anywhere near full-time hours at this employer at the Newmarket location) you should look no further than Five Guys Burgers and Fries.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
GM will offer more hours in your interview than you will ever see in practice.
Fun, fast paced, hard work, enjoyable
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
It really is not that bad, if your good at what you do, and can understand what it expected of you, and can do it in a timely manner, everything will be just fine. Plus the people there are just fantastic, especially the supervisors
Upbeat and fast pace
Cashier,made toppings for burgers,cleaned lobby (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCMay 17, 2015
I usually worked 4 to 5 hour shifts. I would come to work, sign in, put on a hair net, put on my uniform and hat, put on an apron, wash my hands, and put gloves on. I sometimes worked as a cashier, or cleaning the lobby, or making the burgers toppings. When I worked in the lobby I cleaned tables, swept, changed the garbages, washed the windows, cleaned the drinking station, washed the bathrooms and interacted with customers. When I was making the toppings I would toast the buns, the a receipt would come through that would tell me what toppings the customer asked for and then I would move the buns and toppings along so they can put the patty on and wrap it. My coworkers were very fun to be around but also hard working at the same time. My least favourite part of the job was the 4 hour shifts because it was not very long. The most enjoyable parts were the coworkers as well as the up beat pace you had to be in, plus the free burgers were great.
Pros
Free burgers
Cons
Short hours
Fun and friendly but not a lot of job advancement
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Nepean OntarioMarch 23, 2015
Overall I enjoyed working there but in the end without much advancement apart from one promotion I decided to leave. It was fun though and every member of the staff was close
Pros
free meal every shift
Cons
not much room for advancement
fun workplace while working us hard
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orleans, OttawaMarch 16, 2015
a typical day at work starting in the morning would be to get to work, and get everything ready for opening at 11 am. I would open the lobby, put drink machine together, prep food if needed, clean bathrooms, sweep floors, and stock everything. I have learned how to work hard, and to be a team player. Management was good sometimes and not so great other times, there were obviously better managers then some. Co-workers were fun, great and hard working and encouraged me to work.
There is no hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with customers.
yhgf
Caissière (Current Employee) –  montrealMarch 16, 2015
geting ready the merchendise for the day taking orders and and following the dally rules of the shop. having fun with the team .
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short hours
Learnt excellent customer service skills
Team Member (Former Employee) –  ottawaMarch 2, 2015
Working at Five Guys was a very exciting setting as it was my first job. I was a crew member and was responsible for taking customer orders, I had to maintain fast, accurate service, and positive guest relations. It had taught me to work as a team member.
Overly serious
Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 21, 2015
The management is very messy. Since I worked there, I had three different managers and that wasn't even within a full year. The supervisors were too young and unprofessional. It seems they will hire just about anybody to do the job. At one point they tried to get everyone to quit by giving them one shift a week or straight up firing them. The manager who tried to get rid of me would go around the store telling people he fired my brother. I guess he was trying to get me irritated so that I would quit. They take their image way too seriously. One of the rules was that you couldn't say "no problem" when someone said thank you for their meal. The reason: "It demeans our work and makes it seem like its something that's easy to do". Flipping burgers and dropping fries is easy work but they make it sound so complicated. My brother was told he would be promoted a few times but it never happened. The supervisors use to sell drugs during or after shifts and the manager used to change dates on the food labels.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
disorganized and immature management
Fun place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2015
A fun place to work and to make friends at the same time. On a typical day at work everyone is assigned aspecific task that he needs to follow.
Very good company with bad management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2014
When I first learned about this company I was so exited because they have very good reputation in USA about their food product and service I took their job offer right a way, but after that my experience with this company was so bitter, because local district managers lack of experience in management and lack of communication between head office and store level management team. They need to improve their motivation techniques and learn to recognize the effort the team members are putting on.
horrible
cook (Former Employee) –  stoney creekDecember 16, 2014
I worked at one in Hamilton for a while, they re-time expired food. Horrible managers who harass the crew, the food is very overpriced. They yell at employees. You can't advance pass minimum wage unless you become a manager, they always say if you pass mystery shop you will get money but you never do. Worst place I have ever worked, wouldn't reccomend it to anyone unless you wanna deal with rude managers, low paying job and a horrible work environment. The managers Also steal the tips.
Cons
horrible place to work
Good place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  MontrealNovember 9, 2014
Decent for a first job, good sense of teamwork with coworkers, fun environment, flexible hours.
Horrible company to work with
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 6, 2014
Advise not to work with this company. Poor wage and not a healthy working culture.