Fisher Investments

Fisher Investments Employee Reviews

Grind
Regional Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camas, WashingtonSeptember 21, 2015
Fisher intentional recruits from college campuses with the intent of working it's young employees 50+ plus hours a week separated from their friends and family. It is a grind and every employee feels it but are too scared for their job to say anything. Everything is metrically based and the majority of employees that stay or get promoted will need to hand off work, work the system, and cheat the numbers. Everything is done in assembly line fashion so that employees can be replaced easily with little training. Most moves in the company are lateral with little opportunity to move up. Employees are recruited to write good reviews on this site and others.
Pros
Healthcare and 401K benefits are decent.
Cons
Everyone is a number, No work life balance, Rampant drug and alcohol abuse ignored by management, poor quality unexperience management
A Lot of Potential
IC (Current Employee) –  Woodside, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Fisher could be a fantastic place to work with a few tweaks. The old school culture is clashing with the new school and they are driving people away with their lack of flexibility. There is very little flexibility with your schedule as there are strictly defined "shifts". Last time I checked, financial firms don't operate shifts. You get your stuff done and then you leave. That could mean you're there until 8pm or you check out early on a slow day to pick your kid up from school or hit the links for 9 holes. They seem to be hiring less talented folks lately with the intention to improve retention as they will not leave as frequently. Many colleagues are questioning their hiring practices as some real winners are filling the spots of the departed talent to many other firms. Up-and-coming firms in the industry seem to be poaching the best talent from Fisher and FI is left with the rest.
Big brother is watching you
Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  Camas, WADecember 31, 2014
Very result focused and there is opportunity for growth. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons:
Work culture- overall people are always scared and fearful. Distrusting of everyone.
Awful management- they don't train managers
The nature of the work itself is mind numbing
50 hour week minimum
Pay is mediocre
If you are away from your desk for more than 5 minutes management will ask you to submit PTO.
company will watch your every move in more than one way. Reads all emails, reads all notes, read all mail and listens to all phone conversations.

If you misspell a middle name wrong you could have a meeting with the group vise president.

People are not afraid to throw others under the bus. Always felt the need to CYA.
Pros
free healthcare
Cons
no breaks, soul sucking culture, no room to learn
great atmosphere and energetic environment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 29, 2016
great firm overall but there's no advancement and the management is in a disarray. Typical 40 hours a week 8 to 5. They mostly hire recent graduates and teach the "Fisher Way". They talk a lot about advancement but nothing really happens.
FI Review
Sales Training Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  LondonFebruary 17, 2016
Decent company to start at - sadly going through a hard time and probably needs to re-evaluate their strategy. However, they do have a specific goal and the means to achieve this.
Pros
You can earn good money
Cons
Its all about just taking as much money off the clients, Putting them into a very aggressive (100% equities strategy) even if they are 80 years old.
Fun work place
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Camas, WAApril 14, 2016
It was a stressful job at time, but fun people, not really cut out for sales, but for the right person this would be a great place to work.
Typical day at fisher
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Woodside, CAOctober 19, 2015
Typical day would be to make 250 cold calls hoping to make 40 contacts. Usually leading to 2 appointments per day.
I learned that persistence is the key to a job such as this. Also, it is the easiest hard work I have ever done.
The hardest part of the job was the repetition of calling people and going through the script without sounding scripted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving the commission check.
Pros
Money
Cons
repetitive work with no real challenge or change
Hard work, but great office culture
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Camas, WashingtonJuly 9, 2015
This job is primarily cold and warm calls. It's long days of sitting on an auto dialer and calling leads. It's rough, but the managers are great and there is a culture of helpfulness. They encourage learning, even if it's not necessarily in the field that you work in. If you can handle long days, staring at a computer screen, and have a thick enough skin to cold call, this can be a lucrative position.
Pros
The management, office culture, unlimited commission
Cons
40 hours a week of cold calling
Enjoyable place of employment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CANovember 18, 2013
Typically my day begins at 8:00 AM and ends at 4:30 PM. I have enhanced my skills as a Receptionist by listening to key details and needs of clients. I work well with my co-workers and they work well with me. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client that's very unhappy. The key to changing that situation is to listen to the client and details they express. Offer compassion and great customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job is working as a team and the fact that I don't take my job home with me.
Pros
free medical benefits
Cons
short breaks and lunches
Poor Management. Too Much Micro-management
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodside, CASeptember 30, 2015
This company initially let me believe that there was a lot of room to grow. However, the company micro-manages too much and everything is confidential. It is very hard to advance in this company. Too many false promises.
Benefits
Junior Support Specialist (JSS) (Current Employee) –  Camas, WashingtonOctober 7, 2014
FIsher has a great opportunity for employees to work and maintain a lifestyle outside of work with their flexible work life schedules and benefits.
Good Company
Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2015
Not for those who have huge ambition. This company requires a set period of time before advancing to a new position which stagnates the opportunities for high achievers.
A productive workplace with strong growth potential
Premier Service Group Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Woodside, CAMay 13, 2012
This firm will reward you the harder you work. In other words, it's not too hard to "shine" as an employee and move relatively quickly if you play the "game" right. Just make sure to follow the rules, do your job, do your job well, and you'll be in a good position to move vertically. It's a "walls down" type of environment where senior management is constantly around. So, it's not too hard to get noticed for all the right reasons (and the wrong reasons). Once again, play the game right.

Everyone seems pretty happy here. Benefits and pay are good relative to the industry. The firm also encourages horizontal movement across all departments. There's a good possibility that an employee's job in the next 5 years doesn't even exist yet since the company is still expanding. It's not tiny by any means; it's sizable. Innovation continues to take place giving it potential for growth.

The hardest part about the job is not knowing precisely what you need to do to get promoted. This concept is probably not foreign to people outside of this company. However, it would be nice if the career path wasn't so ambiguous.

I love the people and positive vibe in the company. It's nice to know that the majority of your life spent during the week is around people you can get along with. The money is good, too. The day-to-day progression of "moving the needle" is also exciting to experience.
Pros
transparency, good pay, growth potential
Cons
managers don't write recommendations, no tuition reimbursement
Supportive working environment
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City Beach, SCJuly 16, 2015
I was able to gain significant management skills and customer service skills.

This was a great working environment and all employees worked well together to get the job done and be helpful to our clients.
Great first job out of college
Investment Associate - Private Client Group (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 10, 2013
This is a great place to begin understanding the nitty gritty financial services industry.
Pros
great health benefits & 401k match
Great place to launch a career
Account Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camas, WAApril 24, 2013
Overall, an excellent place to work. The training is top-notch and you are given the opportunity to learn a lot about financial markets and the responsibilities of your particular role.

You are expected to work very hard, but with that comes knowledge and opportunity. The culture is competitive but also cooperative, which makes for an excellent learning environment.

Long story short, I spent several years with the firm and I learned as much about myself as I did Fisher Investments and what it takes to be successful. Although it is not a firm that would be a fit for everyone (they are very selective about hiring the best candidates) I am impressed with the firm and would recommend to others.
Pros
provide a worthwhile service to high net worth clients, culture, knowledgeable management and a good reputation within the industry of asset management.
Cons
only 3 offices (all on the west coast), industry can be somewhat volatile due to stock market volatility and investing in equities, longer hours for those who work in management.
Great workplace, great culture, and high growth opportunity.
Junior Associate (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 1, 2012
It's not everyday that you can find a company that emphasizes transparency like Fisher Investments (FI) does. From the cubicle-less work area to the glass walls, FI ensures everyone is on the same playing field in terms of awareness within the firm's activities regardless of whether you are an entry-level associate or a team leader. Team leaders sit in the same space as the associates - no personal offices, secretaries, or anything like that. Sure, they have more responsibilities but FI believes everyone can learn from one another regardless of position title.

This stress on transparency really shapes and forms the firm's culture and thus becomes a company that is unlike others, really. The other highlight of FI is its belief in internal growth and horizontal movement.
Growing industry
Intern/Junior Associate (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMarch 14, 2013
Fisher Investments is a private wealth money management firm that is headquartered off Woodside California. Fisher Investments services in high net worth individuals and also institutions throughout Unites States, UK, and Canada.
I am working for Fisher Investments currently as a Junior Associate role; which is also known as a “JA”. A JA has accountability to be alert and ready for any emails, phone call requests, campaigns, etc. I get assigned different campaigns which require me to speak to new prospects and clients. The campaigns vary as I get assigned weekly.
I am building my understanding of analyzing and tracking how investments are passed, transferred, and broken up from one account to another, identifying gains and losses and showing how they total up to affect the main entity.
Pros
i have potential to grow within the company, i enjoy my co-workers and manager.
Cons
short breaks, routined work
Hard driving, hard working successful firm
Director of Consultant Relations (Former Employee) –  Woodside, CASeptember 19, 2013
As director of consultant relations, I was responsible for advancing Fisher's investment expertise to investment consultants--the primary conduit to engagements in institutional asset management. Domestic travel approximately 60%. In the last three years at Fisher, I was part time, mentoring young people as to the history of the industry, the role of asset managers, fiduciary standards and relationship management. Thoroughly enjoyed my team members and the chance to mold policy. National travel was ultimately difficult on my family.
Pros
close to home, opportunities, independent thinkers.
Punitive and restrictive environement
Client Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Camas, WADecember 5, 2013
- This role is highly punitive. You are under constant watch by management and others around you.
-Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork.
Pros
co-workers are young and great.
Cons
long hours, low pay, highly monitored environment and weak management