Fisher Investments

Fisher Investments Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work place
Account Executive (Former Employee), Camas, WAApril 14, 2016
It was a stressful job at time, but fun people, not really cut out for sales, but for the right person this would be a great place to work.
A Lot of Potential
IC (Current Employee), Woodside, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Fisher could be a fantastic place to work with a few tweaks. The old school culture is clashing with the new school and they are driving people away with their lack of flexibility. There is very little flexibility with your schedule as there are strictly defined "shifts". Last time I checked, financial firms don't operate shifts. You get your stuff done and then you leave. That could mean you're there until 8pm or you check out early on a slow day to pick your kid up from school or hit the links for 9 holes. They seem to be hiring less talented folks lately with the intention to improve retention as they will not leave as frequently. Many colleagues are questioning their hiring practices as some real winners are filling the spots of the departed talent to many other firms. Up-and-coming firms in the industry seem to be poaching the best talent from Fisher and FI is left with the rest.
FI Review
Sales Training Co-Ordinator (Current Employee), LondonFebruary 17, 2016
Pros: You can earn good money
Cons: Its all about just taking as much money off the clients, Putting them into a very aggressive (100% equities strategy) even if they are 80 years old.
Decent company to start at - sadly going through a hard time and probably needs to re-evaluate their strategy. However, they do have a specific goal and the means to achieve this.
Typical day at fisher
Account Executive (Former Employee), Woodside, CAOctober 19, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: repetitive work with no real challenge or change
Typical day would be to make 250 cold calls hoping to make 40 contacts. Usually leading to 2 appointments per day.
I learned that persistence is the key to a job such as this. Also, it is the easiest hard work I have ever done.
The hardest part of the job was the repetition of calling people and going through the script without sounding scripted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving the commission check.
Poor Management. Too Much Micro-management
Accounting Associate (Former Employee), Woodside, CASeptember 30, 2015
This company initially let me believe that there was a lot of room to grow. However, the company micro-manages too much and everything is confidential. It is very hard to advance in this company. Too many false promises.
Grind
Regional Sales Associate (Former Employee), Camas, WashingtonSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Healthcare and 401K benefits are decent.
Cons: Everyone is a number, No work life balance, Rampant drug and alcohol abuse ignored by management, poor quality unexperience management
Fisher intentional recruits from college campuses with the intent of working it's young employees 50+ plus hours a week separated from their friends and family. It is a grind and every employee feels it but are too scared for their job to say anything. Everything is metrically based and the majority of employees that stay or get promoted will need to hand off work, work the system, and cheat the numbers. Everything is done in assembly line fashion so that employees can be replaced easily with little training. Most moves in the company are lateral with little opportunity to move up. Employees are recruited to write good reviews on this site and others.
Good Company
Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2015
Not for those who have huge ambition. This company requires a set period of time before advancing to a new position which stagnates the opportunities for high achievers.
Supportive working environment
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee), Garden City Beach, SCJuly 16, 2015
I was able to gain significant management skills and customer service skills.

This was a great working environment and all employees worked well together to get the job done and be helpful to our clients.
Hard work, but great office culture
Account Executive (Former Employee), Camas, WashingtonJuly 9, 2015
Pros: The management, office culture, unlimited commission
Cons: 40 hours a week of cold calling
This job is primarily cold and warm calls. It's long days of sitting on an auto dialer and calling leads. It's rough, but the managers are great and there is a culture of helpfulness. They encourage learning, even if it's not necessarily in the field that you work in. If you can handle long days, staring at a computer screen, and have a thick enough skin to cold call, this can be a lucrative position.
Big brother is watching you
Investment Associate (Former Employee), Camas, WADecember 31, 2014
Pros: free healthcare
Cons: no breaks, soul sucking culture, no room to learn
Very result focused and there is opportunity for growth. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons:
Work culture- overall people are always scared and fearful. Distrusting of everyone.
Awful management- they don't train managers
The nature of the work itself is mind numbing
50 hour week minimum
Pay is mediocre
If you are away from your desk for more than 5 minutes management will ask you to submit PTO.
company will watch your every move in more than one way. Reads all emails, reads all notes, read all mail and listens to all phone conversations.

If you misspell a middle name wrong you could have a meeting with the group vise president.

People are not afraid to throw others under the bus. Always felt the need to CYA.
What you learned
Client Relationship Manager (Current Employee), Camas, WAOctober 18, 2014
How to deal with different clients by looking at their investment objective, time horizon and cash flow needs.
Benefits
Junior Support Specialist (JSS) (Current Employee), Camas, WashingtonOctober 7, 2014
FIsher has a great opportunity for employees to work and maintain a lifestyle outside of work with their flexible work life schedules and benefits.
Great company. Awesome team atmosphere. Good opp. for advancement.
Data Analyst (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Loved working here would be an understatement. This whole company is setup on the basis of teaching and training you to be not only an expert in your position but also any others that may interest you. I only left because I had to move otherwise I would have stayed there for the rest of my working career.
Could use some work from a management prospective
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee), San Mateo, CAMarch 23, 2014
The company promotes depth and breadth within the employee, which presents challenges in the work place. Many people have no clue what they do because they turn into career managers. The system makes it difficult to build transferable skills to be hired at other companies.
Great first job out of college
Investment Associate - Private Client Group (Current Employee), San Mateo, CADecember 10, 2013
Pros: great health benefits & 401k match
This is a great place to begin understanding the nitty gritty financial services industry.
Punitive and restrictive environement
Client Operations Associate (Current Employee), Camas, WADecember 5, 2013
Pros: co-workers are young and great.
Cons: long hours, low pay, highly monitored environment and weak management
- This role is highly punitive. You are under constant watch by management and others around you.
-Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork.
Telemarketing
Telemarketer (Former Employee), San Mateo, CADecember 4, 2013
Outbound calls to prospective clients. Made cold calls from call list. Promoted investment products.
Enjoyable place of employment
Receptionist (Current Employee), San Mateo, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: free medical benefits
Cons: short breaks and lunches
Typically my day begins at 8:00 AM and ends at 4:30 PM. I have enhanced my skills as a Receptionist by listening to key details and needs of clients. I work well with my co-workers and they work well with me. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a client that's very unhappy. The key to changing that situation is to listen to the client and details they express. Offer compassion and great customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job is working as a team and the fact that I don't take my job home with me.
Solid Place to work
Investment Counselor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2013
Great experience, yet I had to leave the roll early to move back east to be family.
Hard driving, hard working successful firm
Director of Consultant Relations (Former Employee), Woodside, CASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: close to home, opportunities, independent thinkers.
As director of consultant relations, I was responsible for advancing Fisher's investment expertise to investment consultants--the primary conduit to engagements in institutional asset management. Domestic travel approximately 60%. In the last three years at Fisher, I was part time, mentoring young people as to the history of the industry, the role of asset managers, fiduciary standards and relationship management. Thoroughly enjoyed my team members and the chance to mold policy. National travel was ultimately difficult on my family.
Headquarters
Portland Metro Area (Camas, WA)
San Francisco Bay Area (San Mateo, CA)
Woodside, CA (also in the Bay Area)
Employees