FirstGroup

FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Fun, Peaceful and Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 September 2016
It was a pleasure working for first group, my only problem was the distance traveling to work. It has a peaceful environment to work in, the working hours were quiet strainious but the salary paid for those hours were reasonable. I got all the training I needed to work in any call Centre and I have indeed learned a lot from this company.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
very unsociable hours no social life
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Leeds13 May 2016
I feel the company i work for is very mentally demanding and seems to be no room for development even tho i am very reliable, and would always aim to do better and improve at any position i apply for.My co workers are easy to work with. Management do not seem to involve the drivers in decisions and feel we do not have enough support.The hours over a week are very random with early starts and lates and middles in a single week,which is the hardest part of the job.Iam left to do my job and handle with very little interference from management which makes my job a little easier
Pros
free travel pass for me and family
Cons
You get out what you put in
PCV Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lowestoft29 April 2016
My second time around with first and glad to be back.
The shifts can be long but then as short as 7.30 hours.
So swings and roundabouts .pay is competitive 9.80 an hour to 10.40 so not to be sniffed at.
Share scheme can be very rewarding and saye risk free.management very helpful and approachable.
If you enjoy engaging with the general public and don't let the pressure get to you ,go for it!
Pros
Share scheme, life insurance, secure work!
Cons
Traffic delays, difficult passengers, fake coins and notes, breakdowns, unsoicable shifts
Steer clear of this company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 November 2016
Worked for this company for a little over 2.5 years. Long hours with very little time with your family. If your face dont fit be prepared too get screwed over. I have just finished with the company and they have screwed me on my last wage. If you value your family life stay away from First.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, they screw you over and destroy relationships.
Busy
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Uk8 August 2016
Very past Environment, attention to detail to ensure all parts of the project had fully concentration. Face-to-face meeting and conference call daily. Weekly updates to the CEO along with a small presentation. What I learned:- You can never ask too many questions and always ensure work done at another location is backed-up with update by your supporting team.
Pros
Enhance Patient Care
Stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Falkirk8 December 2016
Worked here for a year and pretty much never saw my family you work for first and they seem to think they own you some of the guys are great the rest not so
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor buses
productive and fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 November 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.The office started to get crowwed as the company grew.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
Great atmosphere - good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC12 April 2016
I enjoy working for Greyhound, just don't like being away from my family as much as I am. I also do not like that I have to request to be paid for certain things, such as layover/meal pay, but again I do like working for Greyhound.
Pros
Free Food sometimes, great pay, good benefits, union
Cons
Away from home a lot, varied paycheck, have to chase your money sometimes
Sacked after life threatening illness near died twice
Driver (Former Employee) –  ABERDEEN15 October 2016
Sacked after life threatening illness
Near died twice after two serious infections in hospital
Says too much absences
All up to standard
No complaints
Pros
A job.
Cons
Line manager and control room staff inept and 0 man managemet skills
No day is ever the same
PA to Principal Estates Mnagers (Current Employee) –  Larbert14 September 2016
Busy and challenging PA role every day. Excellent team to work with, and must be proactive and manage my own time, balancing the needs of managers with the many deadlines required to meet. No 2 days are identical and enjoy the variation in the role.
Pros
Flexibility
Terrible never choose to work here
driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 December 2015
I work here for the past 8 months we have no union under paid to have a Cdl management is so bad so poor everybody need to b fired no organization at all just horrible
Pros
Cons
Overall job
Very poor workplace
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow6 January 2016
I didn't last very long in this job and for good reason, your typical day after training or lack of is long and very very demanding. With the very short period of route training which was delivered at a very poor level with no interest from the trainer you will spend your first few months shouting for passengers to direct you when you loose track of the overly complicated routing system they have running. The management I didn't see much of and the same could be said for co-workers in my short time although they all seamed friendly. The hardest part of the job is sticking threw the difficult first few months trying to familiarise yourself with the very complicated routes, timings and bus changes all the time scrambling with bus fairs dealing with drunks, neds and other distractions while driving a 36.5 foot 14 Ton killing machine threw some of the narrowest congested streets Glasgow has to offer. This job is like marmite I'm afraid to say and it just wasn't for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I wasn't going to do it again.
I have learnt a great deal about the difficulty of being a bus driver and I have gained a huge respect for any driver I encounter.
Pros
Plenty of working hours
Cons
Very demanding/stressful
I enjoy my job as a bus driver with Firstgroup
PCV (Bus) Driver (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG18 June 2014
I enjoy the responsibilities of excellent time management and the feeling that I am my own boss most of the time; in charge of my own workload, and doing a good days work. I also enjoy being part of a large organisation and the camaraderie that I share with my fellow workers, line managers and superiors. We gell very well together as a team providing a vital public transportation service. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some not so nice members of the public, but my customer service skills are excellent and so is my driving!
Pros
Relative job security
Cons
Long days and long hours
Just Drive
Driver/Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 June 2016
Wake at 3:30 am
Drive to route at 5:30 am
Drive route back at 2:30 pm
Keep bus clean.
Be reliable.
Be safe.
I drove school students for elementary.
middle school, and high school.
Nice colleagues, nasty managers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  England9 October 2015
Colleagues are all lovely. It's a shame you are constantly thrown into situations with no information, departments are restructured frequently causing regular redundancies, some managers are aggressive and value quantity over and above quality - while those managers are few and far between, the problem is they are cherished by senior managers and allowed to bully other staff out of their way. I was under-paid for six months due to management error; my job was then offered to someone else with less work and a higher pay. Customers are a mixed bag, some are nice while many are extremely nasty.
Pros
you have fun when managers have their backs turned
Cons
after a while, senior management will disillusion you and grind you down
Horrible company
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TX2 November 2015
Overall a horrible company. Work for the actual school district, not a company who has a contract with the district. You'll be treated way better. First Student is horrible to work for I can't express it enough.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Cons: horrible management, got treated badly if you couldn't make it in cuz of illness or what have you, the other drivers treated the new ones like we meant nothing and weren't as good as them, pay got screwed up every single paycheck so you had to wait 3-4 days for your check to arrive
school bus drivers making less then some aids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD5 January 2016
School bus driver I love the job but the company as a whole is screwed up management is non existent. Money is never right and some bosses want you to sleep your way to the top.
Pros
great crew at the east lot
Cons
checks are always messed up
very challenging and stressful job with no back up
driver (Current Employee) –  adderley green22 September 2015
basics include vehicle checks,cash handling (cashing up when the machine works!) driving very aged poor vehicles.unsociable hours on ever changing rotas so dont plan to far ahead! book holidays 12-18 months in advance. managament is shocking and give warnings out like confetti passenger is always right even if it is proved there wrong! (cctv) impossible to follow rotas/times along with a drive green system.morale very low and the trade union reps are all in the click. and ive worked at 2 depos for this company. Adderley Green is Especially Bad At The Present Time. UNPAID BREAKS and different start/finish locations. High Turnover of staff says it all.
Pros
Free Travel - Pension - 5 weeks Holiday - Decent Wages For Area
Cons
STRESS!, Unsociable Hours, Poor Rotas, Bad Managment, Poor Buses, Lack Of Support/Back Up
Day goes quick
Engineering Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wigan11 May 2015
Hard work but productive.
Co-workers and team and direct management work together as a team.
Prioritising work is a must as there simply isn't enough hours in the day.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
No job security
Horrible Place too work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Euclid, Ohio1 October 2015
Management is horrible!!!!! Approach with caution!!!!
They will stab you in the back.
The training wasn't good trainers did more talking
Than teaching.
Pros
Free CDL training
Cons
Management.

2.9