FirstGroup

FirstGroup Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great atmosphere - good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2016
Pros: Free Food sometimes, great pay, good benefits, union
Cons: Away from home a lot, varied paycheck, have to chase your money sometimes
I enjoy working for Greyhound, just don't like being away from my family as much as I am. I also do not like that I have to request to be paid for certain things, such as layover/meal pay, but again I do like working for Greyhound.
Very poor workplace
Bus driver (Former Employee), GlasgowJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Plenty of working hours
Cons: Very demanding/stressful
I didn't last very long in this job and for good reason, your typical day after training or lack of is long and very very demanding. With the very short period of route training which was delivered at a very poor level with no interest from the trainer you will spend your first few months shouting for passengers to direct you when you loose track of the overly complicated routing system they have running. The management I didn't see much of and the same could be said for co-workers in my short time although they all seamed friendly. The hardest part of the job is sticking threw the difficult first few months trying to familiarise yourself with the very complicated routes, timings and bus changes all the time scrambling with bus fairs dealing with drunks, neds and other distractions while driving a 36.5 foot 14 Ton killing machine threw some of the narrowest congested streets Glasgow has to offer. This job is like marmite I'm afraid to say and it just wasn't for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I wasn't going to do it again.
I have learnt a great deal about the difficulty of being a bus driver and I have gained a huge respect for any driver I encounter.
school bus drivers making less then some aids
Driver (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: great crew at the east lot
Cons: checks are always messed up
School bus driver I love the job but the company as a whole is screwed up management is non existent. Money is never right and some bosses want you to sleep your way to the top.
Terrible never choose to work here
driver (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Overall job
I work here for the past 8 months we have no union under paid to have a Cdl management is so bad so poor everybody need to b fired no organization at all just horrible
productive and fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee), BristolNovember 11, 2015
Pros: free tea and coffee
Cons: long hours
Fun place to work with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.The office started to get crowwed as the company grew.
Horrible company
bus driver (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Great pay
Cons: Cons: horrible management, got treated badly if you couldn't make it in cuz of illness or what have you, the other drivers treated the new ones like we meant nothing and weren't as good as them, pay got screwed up every single paycheck so you had to wait 3-4 days for your check to arrive
Overall a horrible company. Work for the actual school district, not a company who has a contract with the district. You'll be treated way better. First Student is horrible to work for I can't express it enough.
Nice colleagues, nasty managers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee), EnglandOctober 9, 2015
Pros: you have fun when managers have their backs turned
Cons: after a while, senior management will disillusion you and grind you down
Colleagues are all lovely. It's a shame you are constantly thrown into situations with no information, departments are restructured frequently causing regular redundancies, some managers are aggressive and value quantity over and above quality - while those managers are few and far between, the problem is they are cherished by senior managers and allowed to bully other staff out of their way. I was under-paid for six months due to management error; my job was then offered to someone else with less work and a higher pay. Customers are a mixed bag, some are nice while many are extremely nasty.
Horrible Place too work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Euclid, OhioOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Free CDL training
Cons: Management.
Management is horrible!!!!! Approach with caution!!!!
They will stab you in the back.
The training wasn't good trainers did more talking
Than teaching.
very challenging and stressful job with no back up
driver (Current Employee), adderley greenSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: Free Travel - Pension - 5 weeks Holiday - Decent Wages For Area
Cons: STRESS!, Unsociable Hours, Poor Rotas, Bad Managment, Poor Buses, Lack Of Support/Back Up
basics include vehicle checks,cash handling (cashing up when the machine works!) driving very aged poor vehicles.unsociable hours on ever changing rotas so dont plan to far ahead! book holidays 12-18 months in advance. managament is shocking and give warnings out like confetti passenger is always right even if it is proved there wrong! (cctv) impossible to follow rotas/times along with a drive green system.morale very low and the trade union reps are all in the click. and ive worked at 2 depos for this company. Adderley Green is Especially Bad At The Present Time. UNPAID BREAKS and different start/finish locations. High Turnover of staff says it all.
Fun place to work most days
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: If you have no way to work or home it's provided.
Cons: If you ride the shuttle your at work the whole day.
Each day is a teaching experience for employees. Learning to deal with the different attitudes of students and drivers as well as office staff.
Bus Driver
Bus Driver/Information Assistant (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGJuly 20, 2015
Pros: secure, overtime available
Cons: unsociable hours
Checking vehicle
time management
fault reporting
Day goes quick
Engineering Administrator (Former Employee), WiganMay 11, 2015
Pros: Free travel
Cons: No job security
Hard work but productive.
Co-workers and team and direct management work together as a team.
Prioritising work is a must as there simply isn't enough hours in the day.
A typical day with First Group
Bus driver (Current Employee), BristolMarch 19, 2015
• While working for First Group my duties were, to check that the vehicle to be used had no faults before leaving the depot, also to ensure that the passengers had a safe and comfortable journey. To do this job I had to have a good eye for details, the ability to communicate well with the public and to be trusted to handle large amounts of money.
lacking in basic but mandatory places
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: free travel
Cons: lack of organisational skills mandatory for the business
Upon entering the 'main office' in Sheffield, you realise that this place resembles a ladbrookes betting shop on grand national day. Dispite the numerous health and safety that is in place to protect you whilst you are at work, the realisation is that the radio system isnt responded to unless they want you, and the phone is never answered as the drivers realise the radio is never answered and attempt to try via landline.
Stop Gap when Oil Prices Dropped
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Aberdeen, SCTFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: very busy being on shifts
Cons: long hrs evening and earlies for 2 1/2 yrs
Vey challenging Job, most of the customers were excellent just the small minority of Nasties to contend with.

Basically a Bus Driver has Bus Loads of People to be responsible for all ages and Schedules to meet, you can't be too early.

The Bendy Buses are articulated buses approximately 18 metres (59 ft) in length, I really enjoyed the challenge of driving them, as when my Step Dad had a Farm I would gathyer in the Hay Bogey back up a Load a Hey and this is thought to be the most difficult back up, so the Bendies were a joy
stress full place and job.unsocial hours and grueling sceduals
Bus Driver PCV (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGFebruary 14, 2015
i cannot comment further.Bus driving is one of those things you either like it or you dont.i dont.you cannot think for yourself,
Suits certain people
Driver (Current Employee), First Midlands UKJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free travel for staff and partner/children.
Cons: erratic shift pattern difficult to adjust to, unable to plan days off, very long days alone, no sick pay without support to adjust to shift patterns, poor management
Long days without any regularity, most weeks a couple of days start around 6am and finish 6pm others in the same week start 9/10am finish 9/10pm. Latest finish I've had is 0050. You only get a rota 1 week in advance so no chance of planning anything. Some weeks it feels like I haven't seen my o/h in days.
I've found it to be quite a lonely job, out on the road about 3/4hours at a time and due to the tight running times you don't have time to talk to passengers (not that many want to chat).
Other road users appear to target you, cutting you up or pulling out in front of you. You can sit indicating to pull out from a stop for what feels like forever. Some routes you enjoy, some are monotonous, we do up to 9 trips on a 30 min route...
Management...hardly see them unless they want to complain. If they're short of drivers conduct is eased off, if they have plenty of drivers then it appears you get a warning if you sneeze in the wrong place. Nobody will tell you if you're doing ok.
Sick days aren't paid which puts pressure on you to return to work before you're better, which as a driver isn't the safest policy. If you're ill you need to let them know by 11am that you'll be in the next day which can be difficult to predict.
The other drivers tend to support each other much more than any of the supervisors or above.
good working place to work for
bus driver (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGDecember 18, 2014
keeping to bus times, driving safely , greeting my customers at each stop
hardest part of the job was keeping customers happy due to road works and rush hour traffic

company use to do day trips out to the zoo or to the beach where we could spend family time together.
Shocking management structure
Bus operator (Former Employee), BerkshireSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: nice average working week.
Cons: structure, policies, local management.
The job is simple, drive passenger's from one place to another. First took over this depot from a local firm many years ago and allowed the management to remain, but brought in all the policies and procedures designed to treat you like you have no common sense. However the managers are so unprofessional and transparent its ridiculous. The worst thing that the Group done was to allow the management structure to continue its operation at this depot, its really poor and needs a good clear out to make it more like a team and sense of working together. The old disciplinary routine is ripe with a specific day of every week dedicated to disciplines, wgich there is only a shortage of when they are short of drivers, bizarre huh!
Met some great people to work with and once your out its fairly normal, but always cautious of who or what might be waiting for your return to the depot.
Im glad ive left and if I had to return to driving again, I won't be going for any vacancies there its sad to say, although its fair to say with the consistency of reviews that First overall are no leaders, just disciplinarians.
Big shame because its supposed to all be about the customer....not First.
Large scale passsenger transport
PCV Driver (Former Employee), scotlandSeptember 2, 2014
International company with little to no regard for employees or there families
Links