FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Poorly run
Driver (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 February 2017
Driving at York. One of the higher paying depots but unpaid breaks mean you might do 14 hours and only be paid 10.
Management very critical to the point of stupidity. New MD with NO previous experience in the industry is, literally, clueless.
Most drivers are a good bunch but absolutely nothing else to recommend it. Hours very unsociable, holidays getting increasingly hard to get when you want them. No sick pay and few benefits. Looking for another job.
Pros
Cons
hours, unpaid long breaks, terrible shifts, attitude of management and unrealistic timing of routes.
Fun, Peaceful and Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 September 2016
It was a pleasure working for first group, my only problem was the distance traveling to work. It has a peaceful environment to work in, the working hours were quiet strainious but the salary paid for those hours were reasonable. I got all the training I needed to work in any call Centre and I have indeed learned a lot from this company.
Pros
Good Management
Productive and Flexible place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London Paddington2 December 2016
First Group is a flexible place to wok with numerous work benefits that help with work life balance. The environment is friendly and everyone is cooperative.
Pros
Flexible
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Financial Accouting Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City17 February 2017
Office had flexi time so there that was a good thing if you needed a bit more time to get to work.
I learned so much during my time there, if you wanted to know how to do something you just looked for a course and they would put you on it if it couldn't be done in house.
Management were very visible and spoke to everyone, you were always informed of company wide decisions
The hardest part of the job was trying to progress, no one wanted to leave so being promoted was difficult.
Very relaxed atmosphere, always someone there to help with a problem.
Pros
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Cons
Pay not great
Great atmosphere - good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC12 April 2016
I enjoy working for Greyhound, just don't like being away from my family as much as I am. I also do not like that I have to request to be paid for certain things, such as layover/meal pay, but again I do like working for Greyhound.
Pros
Free Food sometimes, great pay, good benefits, union
Cons
Away from home a lot, varied paycheck, have to chase your money sometimes
Steer clear of this company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 November 2016
Worked for this company for a little over 2.5 years. Long hours with very little time with your family. If your face dont fit be prepared too get screwed over. I have just finished with the company and they have screwed me on my last wage. If you value your family life stay away from First.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, they screw you over and destroy relationships.
very unsociable hours no social life
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Leeds13 May 2016
I feel the company i work for is very mentally demanding and seems to be no room for development even tho i am very reliable, and would always aim to do better and improve at any position i apply for.My co workers are easy to work with. Management do not seem to involve the drivers in decisions and feel we do not have enough support.The hours over a week are very random with early starts and lates and middles in a single week,which is the hardest part of the job.Iam left to do my job and handle with very little interference from management which makes my job a little easier
Pros
free travel pass for me and family
Stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Falkirk8 December 2016
Worked here for a year and pretty much never saw my family you work for first and they seem to think they own you some of the guys are great the rest not so
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor buses
Busy
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Uk8 August 2016
Very past Environment, attention to detail to ensure all parts of the project had fully concentration. Face-to-face meeting and conference call daily. Weekly updates to the CEO along with a small presentation. What I learned:- You can never ask too many questions and always ensure work done at another location is backed-up with update by your supporting team.
Pros
Enhance Patient Care
Working with other team members
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London10 February 2017
I enjoy my work, I'm a good team player, I am willing to embrace new skill sets, there is room for me to advance.
The hardest part of this job is dealing with unruly/inconsiderate
passengers.
I get job satisfaction
Pros
Free passes, uniform
Cons
Bad weather
You get out what you put in
PCV Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lowestoft29 April 2016
My second time around with first and glad to be back.
The shifts can be long but then as short as 7.30 hours.
So swings and roundabouts .pay is competitive 9.80 an hour to 10.40 so not to be sniffed at.
Share scheme can be very rewarding and saye risk free.management very helpful and approachable.
If you enjoy engaging with the general public and don't let the pressure get to you ,go for it!
Pros
Share scheme, life insurance, secure work!
Cons
Traffic delays, difficult passengers, fake coins and notes, breakdowns, unsoicable shifts
Sacked after life threatening illness near died twice
Driver (Former Employee) –  ABERDEEN15 October 2016
Sacked after life threatening illness
Near died twice after two serious infections in hospital
Says too much absences
All up to standard
No complaints
Pros
A job.
Cons
Line manager and control room staff inept and 0 man managemet skills
No day is ever the same
PA to Principal Estates Mnagers (Current Employee) –  Larbert14 September 2016
Busy and challenging PA role every day. Excellent team to work with, and must be proactive and manage my own time, balancing the needs of managers with the many deadlines required to meet. No 2 days are identical and enjoy the variation in the role.
Pros
Flexibility
productive and fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 November 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.The office started to get crowwed as the company grew.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Just Drive
Driver/Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 June 2016
Wake at 3:30 am
Drive to route at 5:30 am
Drive route back at 2:30 pm
Keep bus clean.
Be reliable.
Be safe.
I drove school students for elementary.
middle school, and high school.
I enjoy my job as a bus driver with Firstgroup
PCV (Bus) Driver (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG18 June 2014
I enjoy the responsibilities of excellent time management and the feeling that I am my own boss most of the time; in charge of my own workload, and doing a good days work. I also enjoy being part of a large organisation and the camaraderie that I share with my fellow workers, line managers and superiors. We gell very well together as a team providing a vital public transportation service. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some not so nice members of the public, but my customer service skills are excellent and so is my driving!
Pros
Relative job security
Cons
Long days and long hours
Review
Bus Operator/Scheduler/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS8 August 2012
Fast-paced environment.
I've learned to expect the unexpected.
The team is like my second family.
The hardest part of the job is facing budget cuts.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the customers.
Pros
customers
benefits
Very poor workplace
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow6 January 2016
I didn't last very long in this job and for good reason, your typical day after training or lack of is long and very very demanding. With the very short period of route training which was delivered at a very poor level with no interest from the trainer you will spend your first few months shouting for passengers to direct you when you loose track of the overly complicated routing system they have running. The management I didn't see much of and the same could be said for co-workers in my short time although they all seamed friendly. The hardest part of the job is sticking threw the difficult first few months trying to familiarise yourself with the very complicated routes, timings and bus changes all the time scrambling with bus fairs dealing with drunks, neds and other distractions while driving a 36.5 foot 14 Ton killing machine threw some of the narrowest congested streets Glasgow has to offer. This job is like marmite I'm afraid to say and it just wasn't for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I wasn't going to do it again.
I have learnt a great deal about the difficulty of being a bus driver and I have gained a huge respect for any driver I encounter.
Pros
Plenty of working hours
Cons
Very demanding/stressful
Nice colleagues, nasty managers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  England9 October 2015
Colleagues are all lovely. It's a shame you are constantly thrown into situations with no information, departments are restructured frequently causing regular redundancies, some managers are aggressive and value quantity over and above quality - while those managers are few and far between, the problem is they are cherished by senior managers and allowed to bully other staff out of their way. I was under-paid for six months due to management error; my job was then offered to someone else with less work and a higher pay. Customers are a mixed bag, some are nice while many are extremely nasty.
Pros
you have fun when managers have their backs turned
Cons
after a while, senior management will disillusion you and grind you down
Terrible never choose to work here
driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 December 2015
I work here for the past 8 months we have no union under paid to have a Cdl management is so bad so poor everybody need to b fired no organization at all just horrible
Pros
Cons
Overall job

2.9