FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Not good
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Southampton15 August 2017
I left first group due to new contract of employment, the new contract didn't suit my home life and working conditions, management can go over the top with employee's when dealing with customer complaints, for example (the customer is always right). And your made to feel guilty before proving innocent.
Good workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City29 July 2017
Varied duties. Assisting in the running of the CEO and Chairman's office. Customer Complaints, diary management, booking hotels, email management.

Incoming mail, logging and managing all invitations to CEO and Chairman.

Completing expenses. Raising Purchase Orders.
raising cheques.

Hardest part of the job, very busy office.

Enjoyable, over all.
easy going place to work at
Driver/Trainer Neptune NJ Branch of First Student (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH17 July 2017
Driving and training for the First culture was very encouraging and easy to understand. The requirements for employment were strict yet necessary. The ability to help maintain a safe culture was a highlight of employment
Pros
good hours
Cons
Exposure to common cold
A challenging cultureand industry but great people
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 July 2017
In administrational roles; every day is different. Colleagues at Management level are most supportive. The Rail Industry is old fashioned and struggles to adapt to change but TPE are learning joining the industry leaders such as Virgin East Coast.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Progression
Fast and fun work environment.
Importation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Catarina11 July 2017
A great company to work for, very organised and offers a great career plan.

I was responsible to receive the importation documents, analyse them, type into the system and talk with the customers in case of any issue with the process.

Only left the company because I had plans to come to Ireland.
Pros
Business hours jobs.
Cons
Did not offer benefits.
great workmates,hard work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Doncaster4 July 2017
this firm only cares about profit,safety, cleanliness and customer satisfaction is low on their list of priorities.The pay is good but the hours are long and the times to do routes are always being reduced,resulting in late or missing buses.The drivers are a great bunch but moral is always low due to the pressure put on them.
Pros
Uniform, wages, good workmates
Cons
stressful days driving, under pressure to deliver a service.
Not worth the trouble from management
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset27 June 2017
If you like a job where you're being bullied by management this is the job for you as when you first start they tell you that the job is really easy but after about two weeks you are treated like a number not a person
Very busy and alot of pressure
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Gauteng9 May 2017
Overall a good company but lots of issues and problems still to be solved. Problems do not get resolved just dismissed. Technical problems between company and service providers. Lack of communication.
Pros
Company Cell phone and Car
Cons
12 to 15 hour workdays
I enjoyed my 10 years working within FirstGroup and the best thing about it was the challenges and freedom.
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk8 May 2017
Good Company with plenty of opportunities, given that there a lot of people who have worked there for long periods of time.

Senior management team will hire & fire at an alarming rate - therefore some people will not like the uncertainties of this.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities
Cons
long hours and not really appreciated with the current Management regime.
Absolutely horrible !!!!!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire28 April 2017
Don't do it ! Worst run organisation ever, terrible old fleet that constantly break down, expected to drive with faulty bus,always late due to impossible run times and shouted and swore at by passengers for being late, don't believe what they tell you at interview because it's not a true reflection, the only happy drivers are the older ones on day shifts and they don't smile !!!! Look elsewhere for work is my honest advice
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Terrible managers and buses
VERY VERY good company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hayes, UK25 April 2017
all members of staff are friendly helpful trustworthy who are willing to go the extra mile to help when needed. buses are brand new clean tidy well maintained. one of the best companies to work for in London.
Pros
free travel on buses and trains in and around london for staff and family members
Cons
can get alot of abuse from members of public
bus driving
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex13 April 2017
The day is busy always different if you put into the job it can be really rewarding.
Overall it is a good job but if you are young and want to progress I do not think that this job will give you the success you want.
If you want a long career and know that bus driving is the job you want then First is the best company to work for regarding pay and long term job satisfaction and security.
You have to be a people person and be quick witted in difficult situations on the roads and with the public.
Pros
Free travel for you and family and good pension
Cons
shift patterns and rota's do change alot so no consistency
Needs much improvement
Trainer/Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA4 April 2017
No room for growth at this location. That is all I'm going to say on record. It has been a great learning experience. I have trained well and with all my heart and in that process I have met some fantastic people,
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Too many to name
Avoid at all costs
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, Stirlingshire3 April 2017
Bullying management, knackered vehicles, dirty dirty vehicles and depots. Masonic orange order cliques in depots. Terrible shift patterns , scumbag passengers, no respect, no courtesy. Do not work for this vile company even if your desperate!
Awful job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Halifax, UK3 April 2017
First Group Halifax was a bus driver for 10 years never again will i do this job passengers are a nightmare school kids, drunks. Shifts are rubbish lates splits and middles hardly any early shifts
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Everything else
Dont do it
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire16 March 2017
The worst job in the world, you get no time with family and there are no chances in progressing. It is a depression and stressful job and I wouldn't recommend it.
Better off in Prison
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff14 March 2017
Not I have been in Jail but working for this company comes close, the constant surveillance, petty little Hitlers drunk on their own power and dangerous working conditions.
Pros
Cons
bad and petty mangerment
Think carefully
Trainee Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire24 February 2017
As I read in another review. Bus driving is something u either like or not. I did not. Infact it was a joint decision between myself & first for me not to progress to my test ( that was not first fault)
My only warning is that if its not for u...u leave with no job to go to. Plus if u do qualify if u leave within 2 years u have a £2500 training bond to pay.
Pros
Nice people at the base
Cons
freezing cold in winter. red hot in the summer
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Financial Accouting Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City17 February 2017
Office had flexi time so there that was a good thing if you needed a bit more time to get to work.
I learned so much during my time there, if you wanted to know how to do something you just looked for a course and they would put you on it if it couldn't be done in house.
Management were very visible and spoke to everyone, you were always informed of company wide decisions
The hardest part of the job was trying to progress, no one wanted to leave so being promoted was difficult.
Very relaxed atmosphere, always someone there to help with a problem.
Pros
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Cons
Pay not great
Working with other team members
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London10 February 2017
I enjoy my work, I'm a good team player, I am willing to embrace new skill sets, there is room for me to advance.
The hardest part of this job is dealing with unruly/inconsiderate
passengers.
I get job satisfaction
Pros
Free passes, uniform
Cons
Bad weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstGroup. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8