FirstGroup

FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Suits certain people
Driver (Current Employee) –  First Midlands UKJanuary 21, 2015
Long days without any regularity, most weeks a couple of days start around 6am and finish 6pm others in the same week start 9/10am finish 9/10pm. Latest finish I've had is 0050. You only get a rota 1 week in advance so no chance of planning anything. Some weeks it feels like I haven't seen my o/h in days.
I've found it to be quite a lonely job, out on the road about 3/4hours at a time and due to the tight running times you don't have time to talk to passengers (not that many want to chat).
Other road users appear to target you, cutting you up or pulling out in front of you. You can sit indicating to pull out from a stop for what feels like forever. Some routes you enjoy, some are monotonous, we do up to 9 trips on a 30 min route...
Management...hardly see them unless they want to complain. If they're short of drivers conduct is eased off, if they have plenty of drivers then it appears you get a warning if you sneeze in the wrong place. Nobody will tell you if you're doing ok.
Sick days aren't paid which puts pressure on you to return to work before you're better, which as a driver isn't the safest policy. If you're ill you need to let them know by 11am that you'll be in the next day which can be difficult to predict.
The other drivers tend to support each other much more than any of the supervisors or above.
Pros
free travel for staff and partner/children.
Cons
erratic shift pattern difficult to adjust to, unable to plan days off, very long days alone, no sick pay without support to adjust to shift patterns, poor management
Shocking management structure
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  BerkshireSeptember 8, 2014
The job is simple, drive passenger's from one place to another. First took over this depot from a local firm many years ago and allowed the management to remain, but brought in all the policies and procedures designed to treat you like you have no common sense. However the managers are so unprofessional and transparent its ridiculous. The worst thing that the Group done was to allow the management structure to continue its operation at this depot, its really poor and needs a good clear out to make it more like a team and sense of working together. The old disciplinary routine is ripe with a specific day of every week dedicated to disciplines, wgich there is only a shortage of when they are short of drivers, bizarre huh!
Met some great people to work with and once your out its fairly normal, but always cautious of who or what might be waiting for your return to the depot.
Im glad ive left and if I had to return to driving again, I won't be going for any vacancies there its sad to say, although its fair to say with the consistency of reviews that First overall are no leaders, just disciplinarians.
Big shame because its supposed to all be about the customer....not First.
Pros
nice average working week.
Cons
structure, policies, local management.
The job was what you made of it,
Driver (Former Employee) –  LeicesterOctober 17, 2012
Early starts (4-5am),sometimes finishing 2-3pm sometimes 6-8pm,then lates starting 2-4pm finishing midnight.
I learned a lot about the public and how to deal with numerous situations that arose ,from just noise to dealing with drunken behaviour.
Management was ok in the early years as LCT but in the latter years became distant to its workforce,too many novices taking leading roles,not understanding crew/passenger relationships,nor staff moral.
Some co-workers would ask for advice about lots of issues some work related ,some personal,but that was the way of the job we were really one big family.
There was no real hard part about the job,you made it work your way ,as long as it appeased management and passengers and broke no laws or company regulations.
Camerarderie in the early years socialising,also keeping passengers happy was enjoyable.
Pros
free travel, uniform, early pick ups from near home before services started, canteen facilities
Cons
some shifts were long but also some were very short
very challenging and stressful job with no back up
driver (Current Employee) –  adderley greenSeptember 22, 2015
basics include vehicle checks,cash handling (cashing up when the machine works!) driving very aged poor vehicles.unsociable hours on ever changing rotas so dont plan to far ahead! book holidays 12-18 months in advance. managament is shocking and give warnings out like confetti passenger is always right even if it is proved there wrong! (cctv) impossible to follow rotas/times along with a drive green system.morale very low and the trade union reps are all in the click. and ive worked at 2 depos for this company. Adderley Green is Especially Bad At The Present Time. UNPAID BREAKS and different start/finish locations. High Turnover of staff says it all.
Pros
Free Travel - Pension - 5 weeks Holiday - Decent Wages For Area
Cons
STRESS!, Unsociable Hours, Poor Rotas, Bad Managment, Poor Buses, Lack Of Support/Back Up
Nice colleagues, nasty managers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  EnglandOctober 9, 2015
Colleagues are all lovely. It's a shame you are constantly thrown into situations with no information, departments are restructured frequently causing regular redundancies, some managers are aggressive and value quantity over and above quality - while those managers are few and far between, the problem is they are cherished by senior managers and allowed to bully other staff out of their way. I was under-paid for six months due to management error; my job was then offered to someone else with less work and a higher pay. Customers are a mixed bag, some are nice while many are extremely nasty.
Pros
you have fun when managers have their backs turned
Cons
after a while, senior management will disillusion you and grind you down
Friendly enviroment
Cleaner/shunter (Current Employee) –  HoefordDecember 20, 2012
Between 4:30 and 9:00 we work as a team to get the buses fueled, swept, washed and parked up. After break the fueler stays fueling, the shunter carries on parking and the sweeper, sweeps the remainder of the buses. The rest of us go off to do cleans and whatever else is needed to be done up until around 12:40.
iv learnt how to park buses, that's about it from this position. The management here could be a lot better, i don't think they have the right person as manager or supervisor. There isn't really anything difficult about this job, as long as you can get all the buses in the right places and in straight lines with sufficient spacing between them, its ok. There is nothing about the job itself i don't enjoy.
Cons
work hours arnt great.
very poor place to work and very low morale
bus driver (Former Employee) –  glasgowApril 11, 2014
the standard of the buses are old and badly repaired body and mechanically. At first the consumer is always right even if the cctv shows different and the management is a joke the depot manager can't make any decision they follow orders from head office, and most of the other driver are brill but some are in the management pockets running and tell them what is said in the bothy. The hardest part of the job trying to be a professional driver when the public are against you and the company and driving vehicle fit for the scrap yard. The most enjoyable part was leaving the company.
Pros
free travel
Cons
company finding any excuse to try and sack you
I enjoy my job as a bus driver with Firstgroup
PCV (Bus) Driver (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENGJune 18, 2014
I enjoy the responsibilities of excellent time management and the feeling that I am my own boss most of the time; in charge of my own workload, and doing a good days work. I also enjoy being part of a large organisation and the camaraderie that I share with my fellow workers, line managers and superiors. We gell very well together as a team providing a vital public transportation service. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some not so nice members of the public, but my customer service skills are excellent and so is my driving!
Pros
relative job security
Cons
long days and long hours
Stop Gap when Oil Prices Dropped
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SCTFebruary 14, 2015
Vey challenging Job, most of the customers were excellent just the small minority of Nasties to contend with.

Basically a Bus Driver has Bus Loads of People to be responsible for all ages and Schedules to meet, you can't be too early.

The Bendy Buses are articulated buses approximately 18 metres (59 ft) in length, I really enjoyed the challenge of driving them, as when my Step Dad had a Farm I would gathyer in the Hay Bogey back up a Load a Hey and this is thought to be the most difficult back up, so the Bendies were a joy
Pros
very busy being on shifts
Cons
long hrs evening and earlies for 2 1/2 yrs
Hard unappreciated work
fitter (Former Employee) –  manchesterApril 10, 2014
Worked in workshop for few years. Long hours of very dirty and hard work. Every garage has its favorites, if Ur face don't fit u will work very hard get the best jobs. Dirty and long so supervisors can have laugh. U will become number on pay slip, awaiting holiday if U can get it in.
Well U might get sact before,
Rules and regulations are there to fit porpoise.
The wright one for wright people.

Connect internal paper will not write about that.
Propaganda that how communism works.

Still good people work there I wish them all the best.
Pros
pay'd on thursdays
Cons
every depot its different world
Hard work but very rewarding
Stock Control Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENGOctober 8, 2013
Whilst working for this bus company i was overseeing the running of several stores departments at bus garages across london.
This included the training of storekeepers, dealing with contracters, sourcing parts, stocktaking & many other duties.

Although at times the pressure could be immense i found working with so many people from all branches ot the industry very rewarding.

I also learned that training & working along side other staff helped me to gain skills in understanding & motivating them when times were very stressfull.
Pros
free travel pass
Terrible company to work for !
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCTJuly 3, 2013
Firstgroup treat the workers like dog dirt you are just a 6 digit number on a computer screen and they call you up and try to blackmail you into working your much needed day off the staff moral is so low you could get it to fit under a door the company put you under so much Stress and if you make a mistake you get a 6 month written warning then they have the cheek to ask you to do overtime !! That is why they are Always looking for staff 24/7 no one lasts any length of time with them !!
Pros
free company travel
Cons
management have no people skills and badly treat staff.
lacking in basic but mandatory places
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENGFebruary 24, 2015
Upon entering the 'main office' in Sheffield, you realise that this place resembles a ladbrookes betting shop on grand national day. Dispite the numerous health and safety that is in place to protect you whilst you are at work, the realisation is that the radio system isnt responded to unless they want you, and the phone is never answered as the drivers realise the radio is never answered and attempt to try via landline.
Pros
free travel
Cons
lack of organisational skills mandatory for the business
Horrible company
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXNovember 2, 2015
Overall a horrible company. Work for the actual school district, not a company who has a contract with the district. You'll be treated way better. First Student is horrible to work for I can't express it enough.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Cons: horrible management, got treated badly if you couldn't make it in cuz of illness or what have you, the other drivers treated the new ones like we meant nothing and weren't as good as them, pay got screwed up every single paycheck so you had to wait 3-4 days for your check to arrive
Hyperion Planning and Essbase Developer
ORACLE HYPERION ESSBASE / PLANNING TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2013
I am leading a technical team of 4 people, where I acquired a thorough understanding of the business processes by studying business areas, which has impact on various data analysis and reporting needs. Worked with the business team and resolve issues on ambiguity. Also, worked with various departments in identifying and enhancing business processes and automate business processes where possible.
Ineffective management
Revenue Team Leader (Former Employee) –  St AlbansApril 6, 2013
Management really don't know their left from their right. If you are ever have false accusations made against you, management will not investigate it correctly. This is what happened to me despite 4 people lying and a number of people not been there on the day they still disciplined me.
Typical day is sorting out rudeness, lateness an laziness of staff. It is a very militant and unionised place to work for.
Pros
free travel
Cons
ineffective management

Comment – June 19, 2013

bad hours.first is your life not ur family . very dull place to work supervisor will not back you up beware of inspection sheet they change the rule just watch what u sign that how they get you couter sigh is joke my tip is dont fix dont sigh they want you work at unsafe manner lot of 2 face from the supervisors. and company pets under 40 get all the course /over get nothing glad to get away from them .

ORACLEHYPERIONESSBASE / PLANNING TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 14, 2013
I am leading a technical team of 4 people, where I acquired a thorough understanding of the business processes by studying business areas, which has impact on various data analysis and reporting needs. Planning environment consisted of six plan types distributed between three applications. The plan types were Capital, P&L, Balance Sheet, Payroll, Service Gross Profit, and Distribution Gross Profit.
Ok job working with disabled children on the bus.
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Severn, MDAugust 12, 2014
Working and helping keep disabled/challenged children safe while riding the school bus. The hardest part of this job is the hours, 5am starts, 5pm finish; there's a long break in between, but you have no opportunity to really plan your life around this job. The most enjoyable part about this job, is meeting and learning about the children who are disabled. They are so impressionable and loving.
productive and fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  BristolNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.The office started to get crowwed as the company grew.
Pros
free tea and coffee
bus driver bristol
bus driver (Former Employee) –  mst bristolFebruary 23, 2014
If you need time of don't bother to ask because you never get it.
No management back up,they love to to issue warnings like its going out of fashion.
Pay and pension is good.
Ask yourself why a company has to recruit all year round and it basically speaks for itself.
Did meet some loverly drivers at MST bristol.
Pros
pay, pension, free travel.
Cons
no time off, impossible time schedules, stressfull.