FirstGroup Employee Reviews

Fun, Peaceful and Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengSeptember 14, 2016
It was a pleasure working for first group, my only problem was the distance traveling to work. It has a peaceful environment to work in, the working hours were quiet strainious but the salary paid for those hours were reasonable. I got all the training I needed to work in any call Centre and I have indeed learned a lot from this company.
Pros
Good Management
Busy
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester UkAugust 8, 2016
Very past Environment, attention to detail to ensure all parts of the project had fully concentration. Face-to-face meeting and conference call daily. Weekly updates to the CEO along with a small presentation. What I learned:- You can never ask too many questions and always ensure work done at another location is backed-up with update by your supporting team.
Pros
Enhance Patient Care
Just Drive
Driver/Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 25, 2016
Wake at 3:30 am
Drive to route at 5:30 am
Drive route back at 2:30 pm
Keep bus clean.
Be reliable.
Be safe.
I drove school students for elementary.
middle school, and high school.
very unsociable hours no social life
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  LeedsMay 13, 2016
I feel the company i work for is very mentally demanding and seems to be no room for development even tho i am very reliable, and would always aim to do better and improve at any position i apply for.My co workers are easy to work with. Management do not seem to involve the drivers in decisions and feel we do not have enough support.The hours over a week are very random with early starts and lates and middles in a single week,which is the hardest part of the job.Iam left to do my job and handle with very little interference from management which makes my job a little easier
Pros
free travel pass for me and family
Cons
You get out what you put in
PCV Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  LowestoftApril 29, 2016
My second time around with first and glad to be back.
The shifts can be long but then as short as 7.30 hours.
So swings and roundabouts .pay is competitive 9.80 an hour to 10.40 so not to be sniffed at.
Share scheme can be very rewarding and saye risk free.management very helpful and approachable.
If you enjoy engaging with the general public and don't let the pressure get to you ,go for it!
Pros
Share scheme, life insurance, secure work!
Cons
Traffic delays, difficult passengers, fake coins and notes, breakdowns, unsoicable shifts
Great atmosphere - good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 12, 2016
I enjoy working for Greyhound, just don't like being away from my family as much as I am. I also do not like that I have to request to be paid for certain things, such as layover/meal pay, but again I do like working for Greyhound.
Pros
Free Food sometimes, great pay, good benefits, union
Cons
Away from home a lot, varied paycheck, have to chase your money sometimes
Very poor workplace
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  GlasgowJanuary 6, 2016
I didn't last very long in this job and for good reason, your typical day after training or lack of is long and very very demanding. With the very short period of route training which was delivered at a very poor level with no interest from the trainer you will spend your first few months shouting for passengers to direct you when you loose track of the overly complicated routing system they have running. The management I didn't see much of and the same could be said for co-workers in my short time although they all seamed friendly. The hardest part of the job is sticking threw the difficult first few months trying to familiarise yourself with the very complicated routes, timings and bus changes all the time scrambling with bus fairs dealing with drunks, neds and other distractions while driving a 36.5 foot 14 Ton killing machine threw some of the narrowest congested streets Glasgow has to offer. This job is like marmite I'm afraid to say and it just wasn't for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I wasn't going to do it again.
I have learnt a great deal about the difficulty of being a bus driver and I have gained a huge respect for any driver I encounter.
Pros
Plenty of working hours
Cons
Very demanding/stressful
school bus drivers making less then some aids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2016
School bus driver I love the job but the company as a whole is screwed up management is non existent. Money is never right and some bosses want you to sleep your way to the top.
Pros
great crew at the east lot
Cons
checks are always messed up
Terrible never choose to work here
driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
I work here for the past 8 months we have no union under paid to have a Cdl management is so bad so poor everybody need to b fired no organization at all just horrible
Pros
Cons
Overall job
productive and fun place to work
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  BristolNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management.Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.The office started to get crowwed as the company grew.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Horrible company
bus driver (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXNovember 2, 2015
Overall a horrible company. Work for the actual school district, not a company who has a contract with the district. You'll be treated way better. First Student is horrible to work for I can't express it enough.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Cons: horrible management, got treated badly if you couldn't make it in cuz of illness or what have you, the other drivers treated the new ones like we meant nothing and weren't as good as them, pay got screwed up every single paycheck so you had to wait 3-4 days for your check to arrive
Nice colleagues, nasty managers
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  EnglandOctober 9, 2015
Colleagues are all lovely. It's a shame you are constantly thrown into situations with no information, departments are restructured frequently causing regular redundancies, some managers are aggressive and value quantity over and above quality - while those managers are few and far between, the problem is they are cherished by senior managers and allowed to bully other staff out of their way. I was under-paid for six months due to management error; my job was then offered to someone else with less work and a higher pay. Customers are a mixed bag, some are nice while many are extremely nasty.
Pros
you have fun when managers have their backs turned
Cons
after a while, senior management will disillusion you and grind you down
Horrible Place too work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OhioOctober 1, 2015
Management is horrible!!!!! Approach with caution!!!!
They will stab you in the back.
The training wasn't good trainers did more talking
Than teaching.
Pros
Free CDL training
Cons
Management.
very challenging and stressful job with no back up
driver (Current Employee) –  adderley greenSeptember 22, 2015
basics include vehicle checks,cash handling (cashing up when the machine works!) driving very aged poor vehicles.unsociable hours on ever changing rotas so dont plan to far ahead! book holidays 12-18 months in advance. managament is shocking and give warnings out like confetti passenger is always right even if it is proved there wrong! (cctv) impossible to follow rotas/times along with a drive green system.morale very low and the trade union reps are all in the click. and ive worked at 2 depos for this company. Adderley Green is Especially Bad At The Present Time. UNPAID BREAKS and different start/finish locations. High Turnover of staff says it all.
Pros
Free Travel - Pension - 5 weeks Holiday - Decent Wages For Area
Cons
STRESS!, Unsociable Hours, Poor Rotas, Bad Managment, Poor Buses, Lack Of Support/Back Up
Fun place to work most days
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2015
Each day is a teaching experience for employees. Learning to deal with the different attitudes of students and drivers as well as office staff.
Pros
If you have no way to work or home it's provided.
Cons
If you ride the shuttle your at work the whole day.
Bus Driver
money handling
presentable appearance
time management
fault reporting
Pros
secure, overtime available
Cons
unsociable hours
Day goes quick
Engineering Administrator (Former Employee) –  WiganMay 11, 2015
Hard work but productive.
Co-workers and team and direct management work together as a team.
Prioritising work is a must as there simply isn't enough hours in the day.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
No job security
A typical day with First Group
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  BristolMarch 19, 2015
• While working for First Group my duties were, to check that the vehicle to be used had no faults before leaving the depot, also to ensure that the passengers had a safe and comfortable journey. To do this job I had to have a good eye for details, the ability to communicate well with the public and to be trusted to handle large amounts of money.
lacking in basic but mandatory places
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, ENGFebruary 24, 2015
Upon entering the 'main office' in Sheffield, you realise that this place resembles a ladbrookes betting shop on grand national day. Dispite the numerous health and safety that is in place to protect you whilst you are at work, the realisation is that the radio system isnt responded to unless they want you, and the phone is never answered as the drivers realise the radio is never answered and attempt to try via landline.
Pros
free travel
Cons
lack of organisational skills mandatory for the business
Stop Gap when Oil Prices Dropped
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SCTFebruary 14, 2015
Vey challenging Job, most of the customers were excellent just the small minority of Nasties to contend with.

Basically a Bus Driver has Bus Loads of People to be responsible for all ages and Schedules to meet, you can't be too early.

The Bendy Buses are articulated buses approximately 18 metres (59 ft) in length, I really enjoyed the challenge of driving them, as when my Step Dad had a Farm I would gathyer in the Hay Bogey back up a Load a Hey and this is thought to be the most difficult back up, so the Bendies were a joy
Pros
very busy being on shifts
Cons
long hrs evening and earlies for 2 1/2 yrs

2.9