FirstGroup Employee Reviews

VERY VERY good company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hayes, UK25 April 2017
all members of staff are friendly helpful trustworthy who are willing to go the extra mile to help when needed. buses are brand new clean tidy well maintained. one of the best companies to work for in London.
Pros
free travel on buses and trains in and around london for staff and family members
Cons
can get alot of abuse from members of public
Needs much improvement
Trainer/Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA4 April 2017
No room for growth at this location. That is all I'm going to say on record. It has been a great learning experience. I have trained well and with all my heart and in that process I have met some fantastic people,
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Too many to name
Avoid at all costs
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, Stirlingshire3 April 2017
Bullying management, knackered vehicles, dirty dirty vehicles and depots. Masonic orange order cliques in depots. Terrible shift patterns , scumbag passengers, no respect, no courtesy. Do not work for this vile company even if your desperate!
Awful job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Halifax, UK3 April 2017
First Group Halifax was a bus driver for 10 years never again will i do this job passengers are a nightmare school kids, drunks. Shifts are rubbish lates splits and middles hardly any early shifts
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Everything else
Dont do it
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire16 March 2017
The worst job in the world, you get no time with family and there are no chances in progressing. It is a depression and stressful job and I wouldn't recommend it.
Better off in Prison
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff14 March 2017
Not I have been in Jail but working for this company comes close, the constant surveillance, petty little Hitlers drunk on their own power and dangerous working conditions.
Pros
Cons
bad and petty mangerment
Think carefully
Trainee Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire24 February 2017
As I read in another review. Bus driving is something u either like or not. I did not. Infact it was a joint decision between myself & first for me not to progress to my test ( that was not first fault)
My only warning is that if its not for u...u leave with no job to go to. Plus if u do qualify if u leave within 2 years u have a £2500 training bond to pay.
Pros
Nice people at the base
Cons
freezing cold in winter. red hot in the summer
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Financial Accouting Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City17 February 2017
Office had flexi time so there that was a good thing if you needed a bit more time to get to work.
I learned so much during my time there, if you wanted to know how to do something you just looked for a course and they would put you on it if it couldn't be done in house.
Management were very visible and spoke to everyone, you were always informed of company wide decisions
The hardest part of the job was trying to progress, no one wanted to leave so being promoted was difficult.
Very relaxed atmosphere, always someone there to help with a problem.
Pros
Very Supportive Atmosphere
Cons
Pay not great
Working with other team members
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London10 February 2017
I enjoy my work, I'm a good team player, I am willing to embrace new skill sets, there is room for me to advance.
The hardest part of this job is dealing with unruly/inconsiderate
passengers.
I get job satisfaction
Pros
Free passes, uniform
Cons
Bad weather
Poorly run
Driver (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire6 February 2017
Driving at York. One of the higher paying depots but unpaid breaks mean you might do 14 hours and only be paid 10.
Management very critical to the point of stupidity. New MD with NO previous experience in the industry is, literally, clueless.
Most drivers are a good bunch but absolutely nothing else to recommend it. Hours very unsociable, holidays getting increasingly hard to get when you want them. No sick pay and few benefits. Looking for another job.
Pros
Cons
hours, unpaid long breaks, terrible shifts, attitude of management and unrealistic timing of routes.
Not a bad place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire5 January 2017
It is a varied job in that you never know what your day will bring in terms of traffic, passengers and how busy you are.
l work with a good group of people but after the length of time l've been doing it l need a change.
Pros
Uniform, holidays
Cons
long hours depending on your shift pattern, can be unsocial
Stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Falkirk8 December 2016
Worked here for a year and pretty much never saw my family you work for first and they seem to think they own you some of the guys are great the rest not so
Pros
Cons
Long hours poor buses
Productive and Flexible place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London Paddington2 December 2016
First Group is a flexible place to wok with numerous work benefits that help with work life balance. The environment is friendly and everyone is cooperative.
Pros
Flexible
Steer clear of this company
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 November 2016
Worked for this company for a little over 2.5 years. Long hours with very little time with your family. If your face dont fit be prepared too get screwed over. I have just finished with the company and they have screwed me on my last wage. If you value your family life stay away from First.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, they screw you over and destroy relationships.
Sacked after life threatening illness near died twice
Driver (Former Employee) –  ABERDEEN15 October 2016
Sacked after life threatening illness
Near died twice after two serious infections in hospital
Says too much absences
All up to standard
No complaints
Pros
A job.
Cons
Line manager and control room staff inept and 0 man managemet skills
No day is ever the same
PA to Principal Estates Mnagers (Current Employee) –  Larbert14 September 2016
Busy and challenging PA role every day. Excellent team to work with, and must be proactive and manage my own time, balancing the needs of managers with the many deadlines required to meet. No 2 days are identical and enjoy the variation in the role.
Pros
Flexibility
Fun, Peaceful and Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 September 2016
It was a pleasure working for first group, my only problem was the distance traveling to work. It has a peaceful environment to work in, the working hours were quiet strainious but the salary paid for those hours were reasonable. I got all the training I needed to work in any call Centre and I have indeed learned a lot from this company.
Pros
Good Management
Busy
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester Uk8 August 2016
Very past Environment, attention to detail to ensure all parts of the project had fully concentration. Face-to-face meeting and conference call daily. Weekly updates to the CEO along with a small presentation. What I learned:- You can never ask too many questions and always ensure work done at another location is backed-up with update by your supporting team.
Pros
Enhance Patient Care
Just Drive
Driver/Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 June 2016
Wake at 3:30 am
Drive to route at 5:30 am
Drive route back at 2:30 pm
Keep bus clean.
Be reliable.
Be safe.
I drove school students for elementary.
middle school, and high school.
very unsociable hours no social life
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Leeds13 May 2016
I feel the company i work for is very mentally demanding and seems to be no room for development even tho i am very reliable, and would always aim to do better and improve at any position i apply for.My co workers are easy to work with. Management do not seem to involve the drivers in decisions and feel we do not have enough support.The hours over a week are very random with early starts and lates and middles in a single week,which is the hardest part of the job.Iam left to do my job and handle with very little interference from management which makes my job a little easier
Pros
free travel pass for me and family
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstGroup. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8