First West Credit Union Employee Reviews

A top heavy organization
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Fraser Valley1 November 2017
When I began my employment with this organization, it often appeared in the list of top employers to work for in British Columbia. Today it is a different organization.

Middle and upper management are an entitled and privileged group with seemingly little concern for those member facing employees who help generate the revenue to support their salaries. The workload is heavy and the company consistently runs short staffed. You will be expected to achieve massive sales and referral targets annually or face losing your job.

There is little consistency in the way that each branch/office is managed. Your experience will entirely depend upon the manager you get. I have had wonderful managers over the years, but I have also had many epic failures in managers I was unfortunate enough to have to work for.

Training within this company for both new hires and existing employees is poor to say the least. Your workload is heavy in this high pressure sales environment and the expectation is that you learn what you need to learn on your own time or when you have a second of spare time in your day. Unrealistic and you're being set up to fail.
Pros
Average Remuneration - Good Benefit Plan
Cons
Poor Management - Poor Communication & Training - Excessive workloads
First West treat you as family not as employee
Insurance Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC25 September 2017
In every company I work for I not only bring new energy, fresh ideas and a different way of thinking, induce teamwork but also help fellow work colleagues to achieve their full potential. The foundation of my success lies in my ability to ensure that every team has an established plan and any risks/growth accounts are flagged and have
appropriate management plans in place. First West gave me all the opportunities to move on and helps me build myself. I love to stay with First West but my family lives in Los Angles. If i get a chance to relocate and live with family that would be great.
Terrible place to work!
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 May 2017
Terrible place to work as the credit union is being run like a bank and losing focus on member service. All aspects of front line staff are sales driven to meet very unrealistic sales targets! All branch managers push staff to meet targets and if you don't you might loose your job. Very stressful job and not worth the aggravation.
Pros
I am not working there any more
Cons
getting more sales-driven, poor branch management
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC6 April 2017
ive been in the banking industry 20 yrs and never worked for a company with such mixed up managers as this one. Some mngrs are really great, don't want to blanket them all, but most have driven staff to quit. The salary/benefits are quite decent which is good because you work alot of OT to compensate stress leaves and short staff issues. The Execs keep insisting the company is not sales pressure focussed but most branch mngrs say much different, to the point of putting your job on the line unless you increase your sales.
Pros
salary and benefits, meeting people
Cons
everything else
Strongly recommend this organization to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC26 February 2017
I have read the prior reviews and my position is far from negative as some are. FirstWest is an incredible organization that values its employees and provides a wealth of opportunity for those who want to flourish in their career. The benefits and salary are decent, and some of the best compared to similar organizations that I have seen. I highly recommend them as an employer.
Terrible place to work, high turnover
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 February 2017
Manager is very incompetent, lots of preferences, I applied for one position and the branch manager was holding the position for somebody else who didn't have the right qualification, no transparency. If you don't kiss the manager's butt pretty much you are done.
Pros
I'm not working for them anymore
A progressive organization
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  bc6 January 2017
I've been with First West for more than 6 years following a dozen at a chartered bank and cup of coffee at another credit union. Credit Unions compete against the same big bank conglomerates they always have and some new competitors (apple, google etc) and ever changing consumer needs. We have to change to stay relevant and some people are more willing to adapt than others. Change brings opportunity but that depends on the attitude you bring. This organization has provided me the support to develop my skills, opportunities to work in several amazing communities throughout this great province and plenty of upward movement and career advancement. The pay and benefits are competitive and I enjoy a nice balance between work and family life. I know some people here that aren't happy but more that are. I feel the senior leadership is move us in the right direction but it takes time to bring things together following a big merge (First West and Island Savings).
Pros
local decision making, community focussed, Island/Lowermainland/Interior
Cons
Change, communication
Yikes
Admin (Former Employee) –  BC28 December 2016
What a disaster of a company. Everyone who works here hates it. They have a massive retention problem. Spare yourself the misery and get a job somewhere that will treat you like a human being.
Cons
Management is a nightmare
Poor
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 December 2016
Negative place. Stay clear. Management are nuts. Keep looking. Poor leadership. Not supportive. Will set you up to fail.
Not a fun place to work at.
Assistant Vice President - Marketing Strategies (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2016
Average, laid back atmosphere totally consensus driven. Poor decision making process by the Executive leadership. Not very people friendly, and do not value talent.
Excellent company to work for
Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC24 May 2015
First West Credit Union is an excellent company to work for and I highly recommend someone who is interested in work for them to apply.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First West Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4