First Student Employee Reviews

Good company, friendly staff.
School Bus,Van & WheeChair Driver. (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 February 2013
Good company commited to safety. Excellent training and solid management. I have greatly enjoyed my job over the years. The children are wonderful.
Pros
good part time job. allows for free time during the day. summers free.
Cons
no benefits, low wages
Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2015
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Pros
Great People
Cons
This business should be simple but it is being made complex
Happily and enjoyable way to do job
School Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2013
i really enjoy working with all of them because every one was kind and help full
Management makes every part of job very clear and trained us professionally and help us all the ways of job. I learned from my work place time management and how to deal with clients and public.
Hardest part of the job was not to finish duty on time. And most enjoyable was talk to different people and share with them some useful thoughts. i enjoy my work with all the aspects.what ever the challenges comes on my way during job times try to solve them correctly
Pros
enjoyed all the events which we were celebrating togather
Cons
some time you gets tired
here is a day driving a school bus
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 April 2013
I would get up around 6am and then go and pick up my bus. I would start driving at around 7;30 after I did my pre-trip inspection. This was a part time job. I learned to have patience. The management was greate. My co-workers were unbelievebly fantastic. The hardest part of the job was trying to concentrate on my driving with the children talking too loud and some of them argueing on the bus with other children. The most injoyable part of the job was greeting the children every morning and seeing their smiling faces looking forward to their day at school
Pros
meeting the children and their parents
Cons
it was part time
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 August 2014
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person.
Pros
It's a great job and I love it.
Cons
The pay sucks for the responsability we have.
Good company for seasonal work.
School Bus Driver ( Handicap Wheel Chairs ) (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON10 July 2013
Training and safety on and off the job are a high priority.
Management goes out of it's way to inform everyone of work related problems. Good job for class G drivers looking to up grade and enjoy working with kids of various age groups or someone with no licence and wants to transport kids around.
The hardest part of the job must have a lot of patience, depending on the routes and responsibilities of the job.
Most important if you enjoy being independent on your own working only 3 hours in the morn and the afternoon this would suite your day.
Cons
Wages don't fit the hours actually worked.
you are considered just another number
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2013
the job is really fun if you like kids. You are carrying the most precious cargo possible. The management is horrible, unless you like to brown nose they wont even know your name. There is not much interaction with the other drivers so hard to build a relationship. The hardest part of the job was to maintain control of the bus while paying attention to the road. The students were awesome.
Pros
not many pros but would have to say pay wasnt too bad for the amount of hours worked in a day
Cons
management, no appreciation, treated like a number, company does not stand behind you too many to list
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB31 March 2015
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Pros
i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons
Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
Amazing and fulfilling job!!! Sadly, management does not enhance this experience :(
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB20 February 2013
Work environment while driving bus is very rewarding and fulfilling. Unfortunately, management does nothing to enhance this experience, and if they want you "out the door" without just cause, they can and will do it. More attention needs to be paid to maintenance of their busses - this would certainly make their motto of "safety first" more viable from a driver's perspective.
Pros
hours, environment while driving bus
Cons
poor bus maintenance, management is not supportive of the drivers unless you are with the "in" crowd.
First Student is a great company.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2012
I must say that I've never had a job that I derived so much satisfaction from.
The transporting of young kids to and from school,as well as school and public charters and doing it all safely and never with incident was a really a teriffic experience.
I don't think that any part of the job was not enjoyable.Okay,maybe the paperwork.
why would I leave such a job? Economics.
No benefits, no pension plan,not to mention that as more schools go to full-day kindergarten this cuts into a drivers' potential weekly earnings.
Pros
the job itself - loved it from a-z
Cons
if i had to say, it'd be the money.
Aweful
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2014
After being there close to 3 months Let go 3 days prior to my probation being up, and I was not the first.

They have a cycle in Edmonton atleast where they cycle through new techs every 3 months.

A lot of good people there but a gutless union. Management, especially the Regional Manager is a tyrant.

They hire on yardies with the promise of eventually getting indentured, they show up with their tool boxes but also get let go shy of being there 3 months.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Have an employment record of a serial killer, terminating at random every 3 months
Management doesn't stand behind company policies
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Manitoba3 March 2013
After driving school bus for a few years we moved here and I was hired by First Student. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Buses are not maintained and they don't help with child behaviour issues. In one year they asked me to do something illegal twice and a coworker twice. When I asked how to make it legal I was advised to do it or get fired. Drivers have to double check every paycheque as extra time wasn't automatically put on.
Pros
company will pay if you keep an eye on your hours.
Cons
unsafe equipment and drivers are pushed around.
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2015
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
Pros
I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons
short hours
So far so good
driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver11 August 2013
Training was good, extreme shortage of drivers. Have been treated pretty good. Pay is ok for what I do. Doing charter for the summer and that is certainly eye opening. Most of the kids were well behaved. But I had to finally tell the little darlings that the bus would stop at the opportunity and would not move until they sat down and stayed seated Reported this to the office, still have no heard the results.

There is a pecking order don't run afoul of it...

Pros
hours for me are ok, older drivers do try to help, I find management has been pretty g.ood
Cons
some equipment is getting pretty old
Dead End Job--Terrible management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta10 May 2012
This company could care less about their drivers.

Their union does very little to help if you have a problem.

They dont trust their employees to do their job and they intimidate their drivers.

I quit this job and moved on to Golden Arrow, and am currently very happy working for this more reputable company that appreciates us.

I always thought that If I would have a problem it would be with the student, but turns out if was the management that turned out to be the problem.

Happy to have moved on!! Be wary of this company.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management bullies
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2013
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day.
Pros
The vacations that the children get I also get them too.
Cons
No money to help pay rents and for food.
a very stressful, unappreciated industry
CHARTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  caledon27 August 2012
Environment changed dramatically over the 10 years of service with this position. Low pay rates, high risk position, no respect
Good to have the flexibility to bring your children to work but not recommended due to the poor environment young children are subjected to. Health concerns are high due to being subject to a closed environment with many children to consider.
Great management team until you go up the corporate chain.
Pros
work independantly flexible hours
Cons
very unstable employment
horable company to work for
driver (Former Employee) –  vancouver, bc16 March 2013
Very rewarding working with children with special needs . Safety standards are very poor and dangerous management is totally unprofessional and treat employees unfair if you hurt your self on the job look out they will do anything in there power to fire you or fight your claim . I f you are being miss treated by this employer do not be afraid to stand up for your self and your rights . Thats why they have a hi employee turn over.The employees should be unionized to protect its workers as in the eastern part of Canada.
The 'old guard' mentality is strong at First Student, however if one is only looking for a good part-time job, this company is as good as most.
FT Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2012
Working with students is wondrous, and fulfilling. The hours can be murderous, especially at -30 and 6:oo A.M. Training is only as necessary, while safety has become more a finger pointing exercise than an opportunity for further learning, unfortunately. There are some great people working here, but too many of them are not in management.
Pros
students, part-time hours
Cons
management, cold weather work, stress
OK for just a minor income
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB12 October 2014
A good job, but head office management and salary were the major disadvantages.

2.9