First Student Employee Reviews

Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
Pros
work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons
management organization, mechanics
Excellent job for stay at home moms
On-Site Supervisor/School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2012
Working part time has given me the ability to raise my child while still bringing home a paycheque. The prople I work with are amazing and knowing that I am giving back to the community by transporting children to their schools is very rewarding
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
winter driving
Fun workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  King City, ON8 April 2016
This is not the job to make a big money, I chose to work here because I am a mother and I love children. This is a part time job and it's good to keep you busy.
Warehouse environment with no A/C
Parts Clerk, Biller (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2014
I was only there for four months. I had never worked in a warehouse and it was a very hot spring and summer. There was a small A/C unit in the little office my supervisor and I shared that did almost nothing to cool the place. I didn't get the training I needed because my supervisor was new to the job and was very impatient with me and would get angry. He was not understanding to the fact that I needed time to learn. He had been there for many years and expected any new employee to learn it all in a day. I finally ended up with heat stroke and had to leave. I felt sorry for my replacement.
Pros
Upper Management, the Foreman and Technicians where great
Cons
The heat and lack of proper training
Fun place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
Overall its been great. The staff is supportive and the students are fun. Its only part time though is my only complaint.
Not a very nice place to work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft McMurray31 December 2012
First Canada in Ft Mac is not a good place to work.Boss will look at you straight in the face, tell you one thing and do another.if you want to advance in the company, just brown nose and you will advance. Very disorganized and management in not experienced.the only way management got the job is because they brown nose enough.
The hardest part of the job is all the Disorganization and how management changes the rules to suite the day.The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are driving down the road, with the company radio turned down.
Hiring drivers with little or no experience, because someone that works there and they brown nosed and they will hire that persons friend or relative no problem. If you are a Newfie, you will get a job no problem and anything you want.
Pros
driving
Cons
the disorganization and the lies from management.
Fun place to work
Driver -school bus (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2014
Typical day would entail pre and post trip inspections, completion of daily log books, picking up students (JK -12) and delivering them safely to school.
I've learned how to become a much better driver with the variety of regluar safety meetings that are held.
Management are awesome people and very understanding.
Co workers are a fun bunch always have a laugh
hardest part is dealing with some parents who think their children can do no wrong, and students that are late to the pick up stop and expect you to return for them.
Sometimes the winter weather can be a challenge, but doable due to good training.
most enjoyable part is being outside and driving, meeting the different kids each year and knowing that you are helping shape their lives indirectly too.
Refrain
School Bus Driver ( B ) License (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON8 February 2016
Not much to review.

No justice for the drivers. If you ever get in trouble with the School Board, there is no chance for the drivers to present his/her side of story. You are guilty without any kind with one sided board's accusation, period.
Pros
Cons
Even with the due-paying union, nothing they did.
Good company, friendly staff.
School Bus,Van & WheeChair Driver. (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 February 2013
Good company commited to safety. Excellent training and solid management. I have greatly enjoyed my job over the years. The children are wonderful.
Pros
good part time job. allows for free time during the day. summers free.
Cons
no benefits, low wages
Very busy company with many drivers and possibility of making new friends.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 March 2016
Steady firm to work for and fits in to my semi retired state of employment. Always work to do in the transportation field.
Pros
Steady part time work.
Cons
Split shifts to deal with each day.
High tension - Poor management
Paratransit supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 December 2014
afternoon supervisor review:
(If you don't want to read - do not take this position. In a nut shell. Do not. Horrible job.)

The wage works out to 18/hr on salary which is nice on paper, but you work a heap ton of extra hours without extra pay.

You will be given a work cell phone that you must answer 24/7. Even on holidays and days off. Even if you book time off. "Tough" said the boss.

The union is horribly strict and there was constant confrontation between management and staff.

Poor management. Could not give proper direction. A lot of unanswered questions.

Office staff are not able to take sick days. I called in sick at 4am with a fever (did not work until 230pm) and was still told to come in because "it's not my problem that you're sick" said my boss.

The work load will range from normal to tripple from a daily basis with zero added incentive. If your on salary you lose money every extra hour you work. You'll work a min 10 hour day every day. And get paid for 8 on salary.

There is no common courtesy or general respect. The drivers and shop treat you like you're a complete idiot. Lots of tension.

The company wasn't making money, so instead of filing for bankruptcy they decided to take half of everyone's pay cheques and hold them until you quit or were fired. To make their numbers look good on paper. This is 100% truthful. I will show my pay stubs to anyone doubting this.

This company, overall, will not be successful in future endeavours. The wage:work load ratio is horrible. The staff environment is beyond unprofessional and they will expect
  more... the world from you but are not willing to give you anything in return. I do not and will never recommend this company to anyone ever.  less
Pros
Paid the bills - when they didn't cut my cheque in half
Cons
Everything - do not work here.
Happily and enjoyable way to do job
School Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2013
i really enjoy working with all of them because every one was kind and help full
Management makes every part of job very clear and trained us professionally and help us all the ways of job. I learned from my work place time management and how to deal with clients and public.
Hardest part of the job was not to finish duty on time. And most enjoyable was talk to different people and share with them some useful thoughts. i enjoy my work with all the aspects.what ever the challenges comes on my way during job times try to solve them correctly
Pros
enjoyed all the events which we were celebrating togather
Cons
some time you gets tired
here is a day driving a school bus
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 April 2013
I would get up around 6am and then go and pick up my bus. I would start driving at around 7;30 after I did my pre-trip inspection. This was a part time job. I learned to have patience. The management was greate. My co-workers were unbelievebly fantastic. The hardest part of the job was trying to concentrate on my driving with the children talking too loud and some of them argueing on the bus with other children. The most injoyable part of the job was greeting the children every morning and seeing their smiling faces looking forward to their day at school
Pros
meeting the children and their parents
Cons
it was part time
Good company for seasonal work.
School Bus Driver ( Handicap Wheel Chairs ) (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON10 July 2013
Training and safety on and off the job are a high priority.
Management goes out of it's way to inform everyone of work related problems. Good job for class G drivers looking to up grade and enjoy working with kids of various age groups or someone with no licence and wants to transport kids around.
The hardest part of the job must have a lot of patience, depending on the routes and responsibilities of the job.
Most important if you enjoy being independent on your own working only 3 hours in the morn and the afternoon this would suite your day.
Cons
Wages don't fit the hours actually worked.
Work place
Bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
First student is a great place to work. I only work 6 hours a day monday to thursdays. Cons is the money and I do not have enough hours
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
The money, not enough hours
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 August 2014
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person.
Pros
It's a great job and I love it.
Cons
The pay sucks for the responsability we have.
you are considered just another number
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2013
the job is really fun if you like kids. You are carrying the most precious cargo possible. The management is horrible, unless you like to brown nose they wont even know your name. There is not much interaction with the other drivers so hard to build a relationship. The hardest part of the job was to maintain control of the bus while paying attention to the road. The students were awesome.
Pros
not many pros but would have to say pay wasnt too bad for the amount of hours worked in a day
Cons
management, no appreciation, treated like a number, company does not stand behind you too many to list
Amazing and fulfilling job!!! Sadly, management does not enhance this experience :(
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB20 February 2013
Work environment while driving bus is very rewarding and fulfilling. Unfortunately, management does nothing to enhance this experience, and if they want you "out the door" without just cause, they can and will do it. More attention needs to be paid to maintenance of their busses - this would certainly make their motto of "safety first" more viable from a driver's perspective.
Pros
hours, environment while driving bus
Cons
poor bus maintenance, management is not supportive of the drivers unless you are with the "in" crowd.
First Student is a great company.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2012
I must say that I've never had a job that I derived so much satisfaction from.
The transporting of young kids to and from school,as well as school and public charters and doing it all safely and never with incident was a really a teriffic experience.
I don't think that any part of the job was not enjoyable.Okay,maybe the paperwork.
why would I leave such a job? Economics.
No benefits, no pension plan,not to mention that as more schools go to full-day kindergarten this cuts into a drivers' potential weekly earnings.
Pros
the job itself - loved it from a-z
Cons
if i had to say, it'd be the money.
Aweful
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2014
After being there close to 3 months Let go 3 days prior to my probation being up, and I was not the first.

They have a cycle in Edmonton atleast where they cycle through new techs every 3 months.

A lot of good people there but a gutless union. Management, especially the Regional Manager is a tyrant.

They hire on yardies with the promise of eventually getting indentured, they show up with their tool boxes but also get let go shy of being there 3 months.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Have an employment record of a serial killer, terminating at random every 3 months

2.9