First Student Employee Reviews in Canada

Driving a School Bus
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2014
This is an amazing job where I get to interact with students, parents, co workers, caregivers, school administration and the general public. I get to work at 6:15 am weekdays to drive high school and elementary school kids to school. I then return in the afternoon to drive them safely home again. I am responsible every morning to do a complete circle check of my bus, inside and out. I maintain detailed logs and record incidences that occur on my bus. I really pride myself on always being punctual and professional to the people I serve.
Pros
i love driving and working with people
Cons
low pay and not enough hours
wonderful for a mother with children
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Drive 2 to 3 hours in the morning and the afternoon picking from school home and home to school..
Having a bus full of children.

some time we would do charter wish is doing school trips during school hours. there would be a few more dollars.

doing a bus check every morning making sure there was nothing wrong with the bus and it was in driving condition.

making sure children were delivered to their destination safe and sound
Pros
able to bring my own children with me
Cons
not enough pay and short hours
Warehouse environment with no A/C
Parts Clerk, Biller (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
I was only there for four months. I had never worked in a warehouse and it was a very hot spring and summer. There was a small A/C unit in the little office my supervisor and I shared that did almost nothing to cool the place. I didn't get the training I needed because my supervisor was new to the job and was very impatient with me and would get angry. He was not understanding to the fact that I needed time to learn. He had been there for many years and expected any new employee to learn it all in a day. I finally ended up with heat stroke and had to leave. I felt sorry for my replacement.
Pros
upper management, the foreman and technicians where great
Cons
the heat and lack of proper training
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day.
Pros
the vacations that the children get i also get them too.
Cons
no money to help pay rents and for food.
It's good if you like kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  NE in CalgaryApril 5, 2014
The company is supposed to be good because it helps kids by providing transportation to and from schools; however, the management group is too new to handle all the problems. They
do know to stick to the company policies and regulations. But they may be too strict to follow these rules without considering
enough all problem factors.
Pros
have chance to be with kids
Cons
time spent is longer than expected without proper pay
you are considered just another number
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2013
the job is really fun if you like kids. You are carrying the most precious cargo possible. The management is horrible, unless you like to brown nose they wont even know your name. There is not much interaction with the other drivers so hard to build a relationship. The hardest part of the job was to maintain control of the bus while paying attention to the road. The students were awesome.
Pros
not many pros but would have to say pay wasnt too bad for the amount of hours worked in a day
Cons
management, no appreciation, treated like a number, company does not stand behind you too many to list
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 8, 2013
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck.
Pros
get to be there for your family.
Cons
don't make enough money to be there for your family.
FIRST STUDENT CANADA Review
Mechanic (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONOctober 21, 2013
So this workplace was well. My supervisor was absolutely amazing. The workers were amazing. There would be times I'm told to do a task and I do it, and i break something or messed up, it made me scared that they would get mad when i told them.

It was always the opposite, they never cared if you made a mistake or messed up. They would always just say, yea we'll fix that.

It was not a bad place for a co-op experience, but i definitely wouldnt do it again.
Pros
great co-workers, great diesel mechanic placement, fun new tasks to learn
Happily and enjoyable way to do job
School Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2013
i really enjoy working with all of them because every one was kind and help full
Management makes every part of job very clear and trained us professionally and help us all the ways of job. I learned from my work place time management and how to deal with clients and public.
Hardest part of the job was not to finish duty on time. And most enjoyable was talk to different people and share with them some useful thoughts. i enjoy my work with all the aspects.what ever the challenges comes on my way during job times try to solve them correctly
Pros
enjoyed all the events which we were celebrating togather
Cons
some time you gets tired
not terrible place to work
driver (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 29, 2013
Get into yard get your keys, pre-trip bus. you do that and find out your bus was used on a charter(happens), but was not swept out by the charter driver. more infuriating is bus was NOT refueled even though fuel top up was indicated.

Best part of the jobs are the kid. Most say hi in the morning and ask how you are doing... Charter work can be fun, late night runs though are hard when you have worked all day. Management so far not terrible. Have wait and see attitude... on this one... Other drivers are friendly. for the most part. Hardest part of the job is staying out the politics. if you damage the bus DON"T.do no get into tight spots if possible unless ....you have help to get out. ..
Pros
working wih the kids.
Cons
politics.
First Student was a good place to work part time
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ONJanuary 29, 2014
First Student was about safety, I would start my day with my bus safety check, making sure it would meet the min. stardard, reporting any defects. The co-workers, some where not too friendly and some were friendly, you had to watch and make sure you didn't step on anyones toes. The good thing about being a bus driver is that the undesirable people were easily avoided. The hardest part of the job was with some schools dealing with the principal when issues occurred and required schools in put. Many people look down on drivers. Deal with the children, when they are friendly.
Pros
the kids, and parents/caregivers. many generous people out there.
Cons
the split shift, working in the winter time, buses stay cold a long time.
So far so good
driver (Current Employee) –  VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Training was good, extreme shortage of drivers. Have been treated pretty good. Pay is ok for what I do. Doing charter for the summer and that is certainly eye opening. Most of the kids were well behaved. But I had to finally tell the little darlings that the bus would stop at the opportunity and would not move until they sat down and stayed seated Reported this to the office, still have no heard the results.

There is a pecking order don't run afoul of it...

Pros
hours for me are ok, older drivers do try to help, i find management has been pretty g.ood
Cons
some equipment is getting pretty old
Good company for seasonal work.
School Bus Driver ( Handicap Wheel Chairs ) (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJuly 10, 2013
Training and safety on and off the job are a high priority.
Management goes out of it's way to inform everyone of work related problems. Good job for class G drivers looking to up grade and enjoy working with kids of various age groups or someone with no licence and wants to transport kids around.
The hardest part of the job must have a lot of patience, depending on the routes and responsibilities of the job.
Most important if you enjoy being independent on your own working only 3 hours in the morn and the afternoon this would suite your day.
Cons
wages don't fit the hours actually worked.
Dead End Job--Terrible management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 10, 2012
This company could care less about their drivers.

Their union does very little to help if you have a problem.

They dont trust their employees to do their job and they intimidate their drivers.

I quit this job and moved on to Golden Arrow, and am currently very happy working for this more reputable company that appreciates us.

I always thought that If I would have a problem it would be with the student, but turns out if was the management that turned out to be the problem.

Happy to have moved on!! Be wary of this company.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management bullies
It is very enjoyable to spend time with children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
A typical day at work is driving children safely to school and in the afternoon to their home. It's a very interesting job and lots of responsibilities. I talk to parents and children everyday on the other hand when I talk to my co-workers we exchange so many information that is important for everyday lives. The hardest part of the job is when parents are not in the designated area to pick up their children but I have patiently wait for them. I used to work in the office that's why this job is a whole new responsibilities for me but I like it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the time children running toward the bus and they're smiling and say good morning.
The 'old guard' mentality is strong at First Student, however if one is only looking for a good part-time job, this company is as good as most.
FT Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2012
Working with students is wondrous, and fulfilling. The hours can be murderous, especially at -30 and 6:oo A.M. Training is only as necessary, while safety has become more a finger pointing exercise than an opportunity for further learning, unfortunately. There are some great people working here, but too many of them are not in management.
Pros
students, part-time hours
Cons
management, cold weather work, stress
here is a day driving a school bus
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 7, 2013
I would get up around 6am and then go and pick up my bus. I would start driving at around 7;30 after I did my pre-trip inspection. This was a part time job. I learned to have patience. The management was greate. My co-workers were unbelievebly fantastic. The hardest part of the job was trying to concentrate on my driving with the children talking too loud and some of them argueing on the bus with other children. The most injoyable part of the job was greeting the children every morning and seeing their smiling faces looking forward to their day at school
Pros
meeting the children and their parents
Cons
it was part time
Amazing and fulfilling job!!! Sadly, management does not enhance this experience :(
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABFebruary 20, 2013
Work environment while driving bus is very rewarding and fulfilling. Unfortunately, management does nothing to enhance this experience, and if they want you "out the door" without just cause, they can and will do it. More attention needs to be paid to maintenance of their busses - this would certainly make their motto of "safety first" more viable from a driver's perspective.
Pros
hours, environment while driving bus
Cons
poor bus maintenance, management is not supportive of the drivers unless you are with the "in" crowd.
Great People to work with.
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJune 30, 2012
My day starts with my bus. I make sure it is safe for my passangers and myself. The other drivers are very helpful and friendly and are great people to work with and the office are nice and great to have as support. The hardest part of the job is at school end when you say good bye to the students that graduated 12 and bye to the other students when summer holidays start. I enjoy every single part of my job. Driving the bus, the students, schools and co-workers.
Pros
you get to see great sceenery.
Cons
the pay is not the greatest for what we have to do in our days work.
a very stressful, unappreciated industry
CHARTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  caledonAugust 27, 2012
Environment changed dramatically over the 10 years of service with this position. Low pay rates, high risk position, no respect
Good to have the flexibility to bring your children to work but not recommended due to the poor environment young children are subjected to. Health concerns are high due to being subject to a closed environment with many children to consider.
Great management team until you go up the corporate chain.
Pros
work independantly flexible hours
Cons
very unstable employment

2.9