First Student Employee Reviews in Canada

OK for just a minor income
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABOctober 12, 2014
A good job, but head office management and salary were the major disadvantages.
terrific job w/ plenty of room for advancement
Bus Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONSeptember 30, 2014
was trained hired and continued on to driver safety trainer, with many more options.
Pros
advancement
Cons
not enough places across the country
Good and organized work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2014
Worked as a school bus driver. taking care of the safety of children and the operating condition of the bus. dealing with teachers and parents.Enjoyable Job, good management and friendly co-workers
Amazing people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONSeptember 7, 2014
- safety is the first thing to be considered
- Children are too nice to handle
- amazing people to work with
- helping co-workers
- driving during bad weather is hard.
- enjoy family time when you take school children out.
Pros
time management
Cons
busy hours
great people to work with
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONSeptember 3, 2014
driving school bus is great for retirees and old age as well and younger i have been driving bus for 6 years and at the time it was the only thing i could do and still be home with my daughter you start each morning with a circle check to make sure your bus is road ready and theres no problems then you drive your slected route picking upo school children along the way and take them to school.
Cons
little pay
Over all, I loved my job/customers and people I worked with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 12, 2014
A typical day at work was at times very busy. I answered emails and phone calls for quotes and orders for school excursions and public functions.
I've learned a lot about the various rates, destinations and time of traveling times. I also learned a lot about the Computer program.
The busiest and most stressful times was from April to the end of June and from September to Christmas break. Going to work was very enjoyable. Not every day was the same.
My co-workers were great and we all worked well as a team. We helped each other if we needed it.
I loved my boss, she was great to work for. She was always there to answer any questions I had if I needed her input about something.
The hardest part of the job was, I think, having multiple jobs on the computer at the same time and praying I didn't mess it up. I did a lot of multi-tasking and got the jobs done efficiently and in a timely manner for the customer and company satisfaction. My customers were very happy with the service I provided to them and I had a great raport will each and every one.
Pros
hours of work was great.
Cons
the pay wasn't the greatest, but it paid the bills
Fun place to work
Driver -school bus (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2014
Typical day would entail pre and post trip inspections, completion of daily log books, picking up students (JK -12) and delivering them safely to school.
I've learned how to become a much better driver with the variety of regluar safety meetings that are held.
Management are awesome people and very understanding.
Co workers are a fun bunch always have a laugh
hardest part is dealing with some parents who think their children can do no wrong, and students that are late to the pick up stop and expect you to return for them.
Sometimes the winter weather can be a challenge, but doable due to good training.
most enjoyable part is being outside and driving, meeting the different kids each year and knowing that you are helping shape their lives indirectly too.
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 7, 2014
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person.
Pros
it's a great job and i love it.
Cons
the pay sucks for the responsability we have.
Dealing with Children
Part-time School Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJuly 23, 2014
Daily pick-up and drop off of Special Needs School Children
Pros
dealing with children
Cons
weather conditions
languague is not a big issue
School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, On.July 20, 2014
Be able to drive kids from home to school make my days full of energy, kids are very special. With a friendly environment to work with, dispatchers and manager are very patience's with all drivers for the reason of all we want is a safe return home. Students and Parents are happy so are the drivers.
Pros
free morning
Cons
no much hours
its great if you need part time hours are steady
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJuly 10, 2014
meeting each student at bus stops, enjoyiing talking with the students and parents.
Pros
hrs are great
You have time with kids
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  calgary abJuly 9, 2014
its great if you have small kids , they allow you to take 2 kids with you and you have summer time Christmas time and spring time off but they don't give any benefits
Pros
good pay for part time job
Cons
no benefits
Bullies and Cowards
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Alberta Oil SandsJuly 8, 2014
One of the greatest jobs ever to do however, the management is extremely poor.
They have no respect or appreciation for the employee or their efforts. They push you around all they want and screw up your schedules and routines on you at the last minute and regularly, yet expect you to be flawless in your duties.
They can be condescending towards workers always giving you runaround and BS. They fire people over pettiness.
The equipment is junk largely due to worksite conditions but most of it is already old obsolete retired junk prior to service.
Very adversarial environment.
Great job for a butt kisser or a puppet.
Pros
lodging and travell assistance, great co-workers, good pay.
Cons
nickle and diming, no job security, pettiness
nice people low hrs
Wash Bay (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJune 28, 2014
pleasant place to work just wished for more hours. 6 hr time limit for shifts sucks. no overtime given.
Must enjoy children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONJune 25, 2014
Best position ever, wished it could pay better
Normally very enjoyable
Keeps you alert you must stop problems before they start
Even kids can have a bad day
Remember their names within 2 weeks you got it made in the shade
Pros
got to sing and have fun at work
Cons
have too many railway crossings
disorganized office
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJune 5, 2014
as i am capable or many positions i am constantly miss informed of my duties from day to day
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor managment
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2014
Was a good place to work, how ever there was no job security for me I rearanged the parts room and was just getting things going well when I was let go.
Overall, the job isn't that great. A good stepping stone for a real job though.
Charter Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCApril 8, 2014
My experiences are all through the Coquitlam branch of First Student.

Positives:

My co-workers are excellent.
Most of the equipment is newer and reasonably well maintained.
The location manager is fair, competent, and likeable, even though she's based out of the Maple Ridge location.

Negatives:

Being the largest transportation company makes each employee feel like a number and not a person within the company anymore.
The Vancouver office is also the western Canada head office, making them extremely busy all the time. This results in employee communications from other locations being missed/ignored constantly.
While the rate of pay isn't all that bad once you reach the maximum rate, it takes a full 5 years to get there, Other than a 4 hr/day guarantee, there aren't a lot of hours.
Charter assignments are assigned the day before, making it difficult to schedule your life around the job.
Company will not pay overtime
Company will train you for each and every occurrence or mishap out there. That way, if something happens and you're found at fault, the company can then say "we trained them on this day about this kind of danger. We have nothing to do with it now as we've done our due diligence."
Pros
excellent/friendly co-workers
Cons
terrible management practices out of the vancouver head office location.
It's good if you like kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  NE in CalgaryApril 5, 2014
The company is supposed to be good because it helps kids by providing transportation to and from schools; however, the management group is too new to handle all the problems. They
do know to stick to the company policies and regulations. But they may be too strict to follow these rules without considering
enough all problem factors.
Pros
have chance to be with kids
Cons
time spent is longer than expected without proper pay
Aweful
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2014
After being there close to 3 months Let go 3 days prior to my probation being up, and I was not the first.

They have a cycle in Edmonton atleast where they cycle through new techs every 3 months.

A lot of good people there but a gutless union. Management, especially the Regional Manager is a tyrant.

They hire on yardies with the promise of eventually getting indentured, they show up with their tool boxes but also get let go shy of being there 3 months.
Pros
good people
Cons
have an employment record of a serial killer, terminating at random every 3 months

2.9