First Student Employee Reviews

Happily and enjoyable way to do job
School Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 6, 2013
i really enjoy working with all of them because every one was kind and help full
Management makes every part of job very clear and trained us professionally and help us all the ways of job. I learned from my work place time management and how to deal with clients and public.
Hardest part of the job was not to finish duty on time. And most enjoyable was talk to different people and share with them some useful thoughts. i enjoy my work with all the aspects.what ever the challenges comes on my way during job times try to solve them correctly
Pros
enjoyed all the events which we were celebrating togather
Cons
some time you gets tired
here is a day driving a school bus
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 7, 2013
I would get up around 6am and then go and pick up my bus. I would start driving at around 7;30 after I did my pre-trip inspection. This was a part time job. I learned to have patience. The management was greate. My co-workers were unbelievebly fantastic. The hardest part of the job was trying to concentrate on my driving with the children talking too loud and some of them argueing on the bus with other children. The most injoyable part of the job was greeting the children every morning and seeing their smiling faces looking forward to their day at school
Pros
meeting the children and their parents
Cons
it was part time
Good company for seasonal work.
School Bus Driver ( Handicap Wheel Chairs ) (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJuly 10, 2013
Training and safety on and off the job are a high priority.
Management goes out of it's way to inform everyone of work related problems. Good job for class G drivers looking to up grade and enjoy working with kids of various age groups or someone with no licence and wants to transport kids around.
The hardest part of the job must have a lot of patience, depending on the routes and responsibilities of the job.
Most important if you enjoy being independent on your own working only 3 hours in the morn and the afternoon this would suite your day.
Cons
wages don't fit the hours actually worked.
you are considered just another number
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2013
the job is really fun if you like kids. You are carrying the most precious cargo possible. The management is horrible, unless you like to brown nose they wont even know your name. There is not much interaction with the other drivers so hard to build a relationship. The hardest part of the job was to maintain control of the bus while paying attention to the road. The students were awesome.
Pros
not many pros but would have to say pay wasnt too bad for the amount of hours worked in a day
Cons
management, no appreciation, treated like a number, company does not stand behind you too many to list
Aweful
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 4, 2014
After being there close to 3 months Let go 3 days prior to my probation being up, and I was not the first.

They have a cycle in Edmonton atleast where they cycle through new techs every 3 months.

A lot of good people there but a gutless union. Management, especially the Regional Manager is a tyrant.

They hire on yardies with the promise of eventually getting indentured, they show up with their tool boxes but also get let go shy of being there 3 months.
Pros
good people
Cons
have an employment record of a serial killer, terminating at random every 3 months
Amazing and fulfilling job!!! Sadly, management does not enhance this experience :(
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABFebruary 20, 2013
Work environment while driving bus is very rewarding and fulfilling. Unfortunately, management does nothing to enhance this experience, and if they want you "out the door" without just cause, they can and will do it. More attention needs to be paid to maintenance of their busses - this would certainly make their motto of "safety first" more viable from a driver's perspective.
Pros
hours, environment while driving bus
Cons
poor bus maintenance, management is not supportive of the drivers unless you are with the "in" crowd.
First Student is a great company.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2012
I must say that I've never had a job that I derived so much satisfaction from.
The transporting of young kids to and from school,as well as school and public charters and doing it all safely and never with incident was a really a teriffic experience.
I don't think that any part of the job was not enjoyable.Okay,maybe the paperwork.
why would I leave such a job? Economics.
No benefits, no pension plan,not to mention that as more schools go to full-day kindergarten this cuts into a drivers' potential weekly earnings.
Pros
the job itself - loved it from a-z
Cons
if i had to say, it'd be the money.
Management doesn't stand behind company policies
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  ManitobaMarch 3, 2013
After driving school bus for a few years we moved here and I was hired by First Student. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Buses are not maintained and they don't help with child behaviour issues. In one year they asked me to do something illegal twice and a coworker twice. When I asked how to make it legal I was advised to do it or get fired. Drivers have to double check every paycheque as extra time wasn't automatically put on.
Pros
company will pay if you keep an eye on your hours.
Cons
unsafe equipment and drivers are pushed around.
So far so good
driver (Current Employee) –  VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Training was good, extreme shortage of drivers. Have been treated pretty good. Pay is ok for what I do. Doing charter for the summer and that is certainly eye opening. Most of the kids were well behaved. But I had to finally tell the little darlings that the bus would stop at the opportunity and would not move until they sat down and stayed seated Reported this to the office, still have no heard the results.

There is a pecking order don't run afoul of it...

Pros
hours for me are ok, older drivers do try to help, i find management has been pretty g.ood
Cons
some equipment is getting pretty old
Dead End Job--Terrible management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 10, 2012
This company could care less about their drivers.

Their union does very little to help if you have a problem.

They dont trust their employees to do their job and they intimidate their drivers.

I quit this job and moved on to Golden Arrow, and am currently very happy working for this more reputable company that appreciates us.

I always thought that If I would have a problem it would be with the student, but turns out if was the management that turned out to be the problem.

Happy to have moved on!! Be wary of this company.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management bullies
Highly Motivated and fun to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  King City, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Getting experience :
Driving a large vehicle safely,
Loading and unloading many kids and keeping them safe
Arrival and departure just on time
OK for just a minor income
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABOctober 12, 2014
A good job, but head office management and salary were the major disadvantages.
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day.
Pros
the vacations that the children get i also get them too.
Cons
no money to help pay rents and for food.
a very stressful, unappreciated industry
CHARTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  caledonAugust 27, 2012
Environment changed dramatically over the 10 years of service with this position. Low pay rates, high risk position, no respect
Good to have the flexibility to bring your children to work but not recommended due to the poor environment young children are subjected to. Health concerns are high due to being subject to a closed environment with many children to consider.
Great management team until you go up the corporate chain.
Pros
work independantly flexible hours
Cons
very unstable employment
horable company to work for
driver (Former Employee) –  vancouver, bcMarch 16, 2013
Very rewarding working with children with special needs . Safety standards are very poor and dangerous management is totally unprofessional and treat employees unfair if you hurt your self on the job look out they will do anything in there power to fire you or fight your claim . I f you are being miss treated by this employer do not be afraid to stand up for your self and your rights . Thats why they have a hi employee turn over.The employees should be unionized to protect its workers as in the eastern part of Canada.
Good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Overall good company to work for. Treat the staff well. Would be better if there were more shifts. Driving kids to school
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seaonal
The 'old guard' mentality is strong at First Student, however if one is only looking for a good part-time job, this company is as good as most.
FT Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2012
Working with students is wondrous, and fulfilling. The hours can be murderous, especially at -30 and 6:oo A.M. Training is only as necessary, while safety has become more a finger pointing exercise than an opportunity for further learning, unfortunately. There are some great people working here, but too many of them are not in management.
Pros
students, part-time hours
Cons
management, cold weather work, stress
Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
fun place
Pre-Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 4, 2015
good place to work, good management and flexible schedule respect of procedure and safety policy different area of working family and friendly working environement
drive children to school
bus driver (Current Employee) –  orangeville, ontarioAugust 27, 2015
driving school bus and safely taking children to and from school has been an enjoyable experience... I would drive them safely to school through all kinds of traffic and weather

2.9