First Student Employee Reviews in Canada

Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
Pros
I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons
short hours
Good Place to Work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONNovember 2, 2015
If you like working with kids and driving than this is a good part time job. The best part of the job is getting to know the kids you drive.
was a good company
mechanic (Former Employee) –  caledonOctober 20, 2015
hours were good was a great company to work for but in the last few years different management then lead to very poor mangament
Pros
good guys to work with
Cons
poor mangment
Highly Motivated and fun to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  King City, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Getting experience :
Driving a large vehicle safely,
Loading and unloading many kids and keeping them safe
Arrival and departure just on time
Good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Overall good company to work for. Treat the staff well. Would be better if there were more shifts. Driving kids to school
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seaonal
drive children to school
bus driver (Current Employee) –  orangeville, ontarioAugust 27, 2015
driving school bus and safely taking children to and from school has been an enjoyable experience... I would drive them safely to school through all kinds of traffic and weather
International Transportation Company - accredited
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ONAugust 6, 2015
Training (unpaid) is 20 hours and prepares you to manage students and understand how to safely operate a school bus. The trainers were quite good at what they do. Not much room to move up to full time....this is a part time job. Work independently. Attend monthly safety training sessions (on-line or in person); annual company bbq and fun day. I enjoyed it even the driving in the winter weather....and this company pays for snow days when buses are cancelled. They screen their drivers well before hiring them so any drivers in my bus yard I found were exceptional to talk to and get advice from. They take safety seriously and student welfare comes first. This company makes it easy to work for them....they gave me routes that allowed me to take my young child with me and then switched my route to allow me to be able to drop off and pick up my daughter at her school along my route when she started kindergarten; very good at managing work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Part time
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 24, 2015
A typical day you get to your bus. You inspect it for defects. Now you go pick up the students and take them to school. Then you go back the school at 2:30 to pick them up and take them home.
Pros
short hours
Cons
not great pay
Good Training
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2015
First Student was awe some at making training available for driving school bus. They are thorough at making sure you know all that is necessary and comfortable behind the wheel before sending you for your drivers test.
Pros
Paid for training, meetings & supply meals or snacks at meetings
Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
productive and fun work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 1, 2015
excellent,nice manager,friendly environment,approachable manager,enjoy working with kids,to be patient all the time,
Pros
free lunches and allowance sometimes
Cons
short hour
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
Pros
work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons
management organization, mechanics
fun place
Pre-Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 4, 2015
good place to work, good management and flexible schedule respect of procedure and safety policy different area of working family and friendly working environement
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Pros
i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons
Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
poor management
Diverse group of employees
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 2, 2015
This job isn't for everyone, it can be very challenging at times driving and managing the students. At the same time it is very rewarding to finish the workday safely. Knowing that I make a difference in the students day to day life is a plus.
Pros
free time during the day.
Cons
bad weather driving
Enjoyed working with Special Needs Children
Special Needs Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 7, 2014
Driving Special needs children to and from school. I learned how special these children are. I worked well with my dispatchers. the hardest part of the job was watching the children while driving. I enjoyed meeting and getting to know the Special needs children.
Pros
meeting the special needs children
Cons
road conditions and scheduling
High tension - Poor management
Paratransit supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 2, 2014
afternoon supervisor review:
(If you don't want to read - do not take this position. In a nut shell. Do not. Horrible job.)

The wage works out to 18/hr on salary which is nice on paper, but you work a heap ton of extra hours without extra pay.

You will be given a work cell phone that you must answer 24/7. Even on holidays and days off. Even if you book time off. "Tough" said the boss.

The union is horribly strict and there was constant confrontation between management and staff.

Poor management. Could not give proper direction. A lot of unanswered questions.

Office staff are not able to take sick days. I called in sick at 4am with a fever (did not work until 230pm) and was still told to come in because "it's not my problem that you're sick" said my boss.

The work load will range from normal to tripple from a daily basis with zero added incentive. If your on salary you lose money every extra hour you work. You'll work a min 10 hour day every day. And get paid for 8 on salary.

There is no common courtesy or general respect. The drivers and shop treat you like you're a complete idiot. Lots of tension.

The company wasn't making money, so instead of filing for bankruptcy they decided to take half of everyone's pay cheques and hold them until you quit or were fired. To make their numbers look good on paper. This is 100% truthful. I will show my pay stubs to anyone doubting this.

This company, overall, will not be successful in future endeavours. The wage:work load ratio is horrible. The staff environment is beyond unprofessional and they will expect the world from you but
  more... are not willing to give you anything in return. I do not and will never recommend this company to anyone ever.  less
Pros
paid the bills - when they didn't cut my cheque in half
Cons
everything - do not work here.
Loved working with children
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ONNovember 16, 2014
This company is very good to work for. They keep policies and procedures in order. Training is ongoing for all bus drivers.
friendly work place
First Student, Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 10, 2014
I enjoyed this workplace because of the easy going and friendly work place. The managers and co workers were all great people. The hardest part was at the end of the year and saying goodbye to my kids.
Pros
good hours
Cons
traffic

2.9