First Student Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa/OrleansApril 28, 2013
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized.
Pros
good solid comapny to work for
Cons
charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
not terrible place to work
driver (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 29, 2013
Get into yard get your keys, pre-trip bus. you do that and find out your bus was used on a charter(happens), but was not swept out by the charter driver. more infuriating is bus was NOT refueled even though fuel top up was indicated.

Best part of the jobs are the kid. Most say hi in the morning and ask how you are doing... Charter work can be fun, late night runs though are hard when you have worked all day. Management so far not terrible. Have wait and see attitude... on this one... Other drivers are friendly. for the most part. Hardest part of the job is staying out the politics. if you damage the bus DON"T.do no get into tight spots if possible unless ....you have help to get out. ..
Pros
working wih the kids.
Cons
politics.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
First student is a american company that works efficiently worldwide for transporting passengers and students through school buses.
was a good company
mechanic (Former Employee) –  caledonOctober 20, 2015
hours were good was a great company to work for but in the last few years different management then lead to very poor mangament
Pros
good guys to work with
Cons
poor mangment
Loved being around the Drivers
Location Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONSeptember 26, 2012
I enjoyed being there especially for my drivers
I enjoyed being a part of a well organized training team
My driver trainers were excellent to work with
The hardest part of my job was not getting the support from my management team
I felt like I accomplished a great deal and satisfied with being able to put new drivers on the road that were ready to be responsible knowing they had a precious cargo on board
Cons
long hours and not getting the recognition from my managers
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
Pros
work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons
management organization, mechanics
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 8, 2013
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck.
Pros
get to be there for your family.
Cons
don't make enough money to be there for your family.
Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Pros
Great People
Cons
This business should be simple but it is being made complex
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
poor management
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
Pros
I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons
short hours
nice place to work
trained other workers
High tension - Poor management
Paratransit supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 2, 2014
afternoon supervisor review:
(If you don't want to read - do not take this position. In a nut shell. Do not. Horrible job.)

The wage works out to 18/hr on salary which is nice on paper, but you work a heap ton of extra hours without extra pay.

You will be given a work cell phone that you must answer 24/7. Even on holidays and days off. Even if you book time off. "Tough" said the boss.

The union is horribly strict and there was constant confrontation between management and staff.

Poor management. Could not give proper direction. A lot of unanswered questions.

Office staff are not able to take sick days. I called in sick at 4am with a fever (did not work until 230pm) and was still told to come in because "it's not my problem that you're sick" said my boss.

The work load will range from normal to tripple from a daily basis with zero added incentive. If your on salary you lose money every extra hour you work. You'll work a min 10 hour day every day. And get paid for 8 on salary.

There is no common courtesy or general respect. The drivers and shop treat you like you're a complete idiot. Lots of tension.

The company wasn't making money, so instead of filing for bankruptcy they decided to take half of everyone's pay cheques and hold them until you quit or were fired. To make their numbers look good on paper. This is 100% truthful. I will show my pay stubs to anyone doubting this.

This company, overall, will not be successful in future endeavours. The wage:work load ratio is horrible. The staff environment is beyond unprofessional and they will expect the world from you but
  more... are not willing to give you anything in return. I do not and will never recommend this company to anyone ever.  less
Pros
paid the bills - when they didn't cut my cheque in half
Cons
everything - do not work here.
Excellent job for stay at home moms
On-Site Supervisor/School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 24, 2012
Working part time has given me the ability to raise my child while still bringing home a paycheque. The prople I work with are amazing and knowing that I am giving back to the community by transporting children to their schools is very rewarding
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
winter driving
Fun place to work
Driver -school bus (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2014
Typical day would entail pre and post trip inspections, completion of daily log books, picking up students (JK -12) and delivering them safely to school.
I've learned how to become a much better driver with the variety of regluar safety meetings that are held.
Management are awesome people and very understanding.
Co workers are a fun bunch always have a laugh
hardest part is dealing with some parents who think their children can do no wrong, and students that are late to the pick up stop and expect you to return for them.
Sometimes the winter weather can be a challenge, but doable due to good training.
most enjoyable part is being outside and driving, meeting the different kids each year and knowing that you are helping shape their lives indirectly too.
Warehouse environment with no A/C
Parts Clerk, Biller (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
I was only there for four months. I had never worked in a warehouse and it was a very hot spring and summer. There was a small A/C unit in the little office my supervisor and I shared that did almost nothing to cool the place. I didn't get the training I needed because my supervisor was new to the job and was very impatient with me and would get angry. He was not understanding to the fact that I needed time to learn. He had been there for many years and expected any new employee to learn it all in a day. I finally ended up with heat stroke and had to leave. I felt sorry for my replacement.
Pros
upper management, the foreman and technicians where great
Cons
the heat and lack of proper training
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Pros
i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons
Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
Not a very nice place to work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft McMurrayDecember 31, 2012
First Canada in Ft Mac is not a good place to work.Boss will look at you straight in the face, tell you one thing and do another.if you want to advance in the company, just brown nose and you will advance. Very disorganized and management in not experienced.the only way management got the job is because they brown nose enough.
The hardest part of the job is all the Disorganization and how management changes the rules to suite the day.The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are driving down the road, with the company radio turned down.
Hiring drivers with little or no experience, because someone that works there and they brown nosed and they will hire that persons friend or relative no problem. If you are a Newfie, you will get a job no problem and anything you want.
Pros
driving
Cons
the disorganization and the lies from management.
Good company, friendly staff.
School Bus,Van & WheeChair Driver. (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2013
Good company commited to safety. Excellent training and solid management. I have greatly enjoyed my job over the years. The children are wonderful.
Pros
good part time job. allows for free time during the day. summers free.
Cons
no benefits, low wages
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 7, 2014
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person.
Pros
it's a great job and i love it.
Cons
the pay sucks for the responsability we have.
Good Place to Work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Paris, ONNovember 2, 2015
If you like working with kids and driving than this is a good part time job. The best part of the job is getting to know the kids you drive.

2.9