First Student Employee Reviews

I was okay working
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
I enjoyed working with lots of kids. They were so lovely and sweet. i loved my job, as well my co-workers. my full team was nice, some time had some mis-understandings.
blank
Data Entry Clerk, (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 January 2017
Everyone is very friendly and helpful. You can get pizza days and taco tuesdays here. and the hours are great. People will help you whenever yo uhave questions
awesome job
Special Needs School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 September 2016
There is no typical day at First Student. We deal with Special Needs childern and all are different as in walk-ons to wheel chair to medicated to not. I love my job with First Student, I am just looking for a part time job just for a little more money.
Pros
Pros are establishing a rapor with the childeren
Cons
cons the smiles on all the kids faces at the end of the day
Great employees to work with and that's what made it worth going to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2016
There are great employees that I work with and it this was a job that felt like a big family. When it comes to pay the company started shorting the drivers by not paying them while the went past the time and still had passengers aboard. Management stooped giving out bonuses as of 2012 and then started shorting pay check and when confronting payroll they would not rectify the shortage. If they would change the management back to what it was back in 2009 the employees would stay longer.
Bus Driving
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON16 March 2016
Bus driving is an exciting career. It is rewarding watching the students grow and expand over the year if you continue to drive. Always something new every day. Job security is great and your bus run is always up to date and the company keeps you informed of any changes.
Pros
rewarding interacting with students.
Cons
due to being part time, money is not great
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 December 2015
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
Syed Ali kazmi
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2016
An excellent place to work among decent management with their co-operative attitude towards all team member specially with newly appointed staff.
Bullies and Cowards
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Alberta Oil Sands8 July 2014
One of the greatest jobs ever to do however, the management is extremely poor.
They have no respect or appreciation for the employee or their efforts. They push you around all they want and screw up your schedules and routines on you at the last minute and regularly, yet expect you to be flawless in your duties.
They can be condescending towards workers always giving you runaround and BS. They fire people over pettiness.
The equipment is junk largely due to worksite conditions but most of it is already old obsolete retired junk prior to service.
Very adversarial environment.
Great job for a butt kisser or a puppet.
Pros
Lodging and travell assistance, Great co-workers, good pay.
Cons
nickle and diming, no job security, pettiness
Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa/Orleans28 April 2013
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized.
Pros
Good solid comapny to work for
Cons
Charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
School Bus Driver & Charter Driver (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 June 2016
Excellent opportunity to work well-established work environment, great customer service friendly colleagues. I have been working 26 years. Unfortunately, the branch I work is closing down at the school year end.
not terrible place to work
driver (Current Employee) –  BC29 September 2013
Get into yard get your keys, pre-trip bus. you do that and find out your bus was used on a charter(happens), but was not swept out by the charter driver. more infuriating is bus was NOT refueled even though fuel top up was indicated.

Best part of the jobs are the kid. Most say hi in the morning and ask how you are doing... Charter work can be fun, late night runs though are hard when you have worked all day. Management so far not terrible. Have wait and see attitude... on this one... Other drivers are friendly. for the most part. Hardest part of the job is staying out the politics. if you damage the bus DON"T.do no get into tight spots if possible unless ....you have help to get out. ..
Pros
working wih the kids.
Cons
politics.
Great for the retired and new mothers
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON10 April 2016
It was very convenient to be able to bring my children on the bus while I worked until my oldest started school which proved to make it more difficult to manage due to having to take an earlier run which made me have to get my children out of bed at 5:30am and have my youngest (very active) child sit in his car seat for 4+ hours a day.
Pros
Can bring children with you on bus while you work
Cons
low pay for high responsibility
drive peole to and from school and programs safely
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
i would drive kids and clients to and from school or programs safely all through the year. i would take up some feild trips as well as couriering from time to time.
Pros
extra work
Cons
early mornings
Loved being around the Drivers
Location Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON26 September 2012
I enjoyed being there especially for my drivers
I enjoyed being a part of a well organized training team
My driver trainers were excellent to work with
The hardest part of my job was not getting the support from my management team
I felt like I accomplished a great deal and satisfied with being able to put new drivers on the road that were ready to be responsible knowing they had a precious cargo on board
Cons
long hours and not getting the recognition from my managers
I love this company!
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 May 2016
Great people, great place to work. Awesome pay for the hours, summers and holidays off. Perfect place for a single mother; bring your kids to work with you!
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 October 2013
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck.
Pros
Get to be there for your family.
Cons
Don't make enough money to be there for your family.
Its a friendly place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2016
just maintain proper checks on the bus and drive kids to and from school in a safe manner staff is very friendly as well as helpful. our manager is great over all its a great place to work, I just something full time as this is seasonal, now that I'm not in wash bay due to heath
International Transportation Company - accredited
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON6 August 2015
Training (unpaid) is 20 hours and prepares you to manage students and understand how to safely operate a school bus. The trainers were quite good at what they do. Not much room to move up to full time....this is a part time job. Work independently. Attend monthly safety training sessions (on-line or in person); annual company bbq and fun day. I enjoyed it even the driving in the winter weather....and this company pays for snow days when buses are cancelled. They screen their drivers well before hiring them so any drivers in my bus yard I found were exceptional to talk to and get advice from. They take safety seriously and student welfare comes first. This company makes it easy to work for them....they gave me routes that allowed me to take my young child with me and then switched my route to allow me to be able to drop off and pick up my daughter at her school along my route when she started kindergarten; very good at managing work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Part time
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2015
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Poor Management
Fun workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  King City, ON8 April 2016
This is not the job to make a big money, I chose to work here because I am a mother and I love children. This is a part time job and it's good to keep you busy.

2.9