First Student Employee Reviews

Work place
Bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
First student is a great place to work. I only work 6 hours a day monday to thursdays. Cons is the money and I do not have enough hours
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
The money, not enough hours
Very busy company with many drivers and possibility of making new friends.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 March 2016
Steady firm to work for and fits in to my semi retired state of employment. Always work to do in the transportation field.
Pros
Steady part time work.
Cons
Split shifts to deal with each day.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
First student is a american company that works efficiently worldwide for transporting passengers and students through school buses.
Refrain
School Bus Driver ( B ) License (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON8 February 2016
Not much to review.

No justice for the drivers. If you ever get in trouble with the School Board, there is no chance for the drivers to present his/her side of story. You are guilty without any kind with one sided board's accusation, period.
Pros
Cons
Even with the due-paying union, nothing they did.
Great employees to work with and that's what made it worth going to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2016
There are great employees that I work with and it this was a job that felt like a big family. When it comes to pay the company started shorting the drivers by not paying them while the went past the time and still had passengers aboard. Management stooped giving out bonuses as of 2012 and then started shorting pay check and when confronting payroll they would not rectify the shortage. If they would change the management back to what it was back in 2009 the employees would stay longer.
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 December 2015
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
nice place to work
decent hours
tours
trained other workers
Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2015
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Pros
Great People
Cons
This business should be simple but it is being made complex
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2015
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
Pros
I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons
short hours
Good Place to Work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Paris, ON2 November 2015
If you like working with kids and driving than this is a good part time job. The best part of the job is getting to know the kids you drive.
was a good company
mechanic (Former Employee) –  caledon20 October 2015
hours were good was a great company to work for but in the last few years different management then lead to very poor mangament
Pros
good guys to work with
Cons
poor mangment
Highly Motivated and fun to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  King City, ON30 September 2015
Getting experience :
Driving a large vehicle safely,
Loading and unloading many kids and keeping them safe
Arrival and departure just on time
Good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2015
Overall good company to work for. Treat the staff well. Would be better if there were more shifts. Driving kids to school
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Seaonal
drive children to school
bus driver (Current Employee) –  orangeville, ontario27 August 2015
driving school bus and safely taking children to and from school has been an enjoyable experience... I would drive them safely to school through all kinds of traffic and weather
International Transportation Company - accredited
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON6 August 2015
Training (unpaid) is 20 hours and prepares you to manage students and understand how to safely operate a school bus. The trainers were quite good at what they do. Not much room to move up to full time....this is a part time job. Work independently. Attend monthly safety training sessions (on-line or in person); annual company bbq and fun day. I enjoyed it even the driving in the winter weather....and this company pays for snow days when buses are cancelled. They screen their drivers well before hiring them so any drivers in my bus yard I found were exceptional to talk to and get advice from. They take safety seriously and student welfare comes first. This company makes it easy to work for them....they gave me routes that allowed me to take my young child with me and then switched my route to allow me to be able to drop off and pick up my daughter at her school along my route when she started kindergarten; very good at managing work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Part time
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 July 2015
A typical day you get to your bus. You inspect it for defects. Now you go pick up the students and take them to school. Then you go back the school at 2:30 to pick them up and take them home.
Pros
short hours
Cons
not great pay
Good Training
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 July 2015
First Student was awe some at making training available for driving school bus. They are thorough at making sure you know all that is necessary and comfortable behind the wheel before sending you for your drivers test.
Pros
Paid for training, meetings & supply meals or snacks at meetings
Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 June 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
productive and fun work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON1 May 2015
excellent,nice manager,friendly environment,approachable manager,enjoy working with kids,to be patient all the time,
Pros
free lunches and allowance sometimes
Cons
short hour
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
Pros
work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons
management organization, mechanics

2.9