First Student Employee Reviews

A friendly work environment especially for retirees and women.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2017
It is a Company that provides school buses for transporting students to and from their schools. A friendly environment for working but salary and benefits are limited except for holidays where it is aligned to school vacation schedules. Hours of work per day is limited to about 5 hours.

The Company provides on the job training. Their recruitment requirement is holding of a "G" licence and they provide training to convert to a "B" licence. They also provide safe driving course.

Overall a friendly work environment, especially for retirees and women.
Freedom to drive
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2017
This company does incredible training. The supply and give the education that they need. However it is not a 4 hour a day job and maintenance on the busses took a lot of time. The children were fantastic on my bus.
Pros
Driver 2
Cons
Hours for maintence
Is a fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2017
Enjoy day to day seeing the kids smiles every morning. Is a life learning experience i will do it again if i get the opportunity again.
Life takes through unexpected changes sometimes.
blank
Data Entry Clerk, (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 January 2017
Everyone is very friendly and helpful. You can get pizza days and taco tuesdays here. and the hours are great. People will help you whenever yo uhave questions
terrible place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2016
If you get a bus that starts in the morning, your very lucky. If the bus makes it through the run picking up the children and taking them to their schools, your very lucky again. First Calgary Alberta is the only province that can keep the buses on the road after they are 10 years old. All other provinces get rid of buses at the 10 year mark. We get Ontario's old buses and old buses from California as well, that do not even have heaters in them. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the sweet children. The hardest part of the job is getting a bus that doesn't give you any trouble.
Pros
Drive for the road conditions, get there when you get there.
Cons
Mechanical issues-no benefits
Part time only
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  King City, ON14 December 2016
This is only a part time position with little pay and no benefits. It can be stressful at times dealing with students and being stuck in rush hour traffic.
Pros
Short hours, ideal for part time only workers
Cons
little pay, students can be stressful to handle
Great people, great job, low pay rate
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON7 December 2016
This is a fantastic job to bring your child to work. My son learned so much and made lots of friends with the kids riding the bus. However winters are brutally cold on the bus and the pay is not enough for carrying the responsibilitie of safely transporting children
Pros
Got to bring my son to work with me
Cons
Not very good pay
I was okay working
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
I enjoyed working with lots of kids. They were so lovely and sweet. i loved my job, as well my co-workers. my full team was nice, some time had some mis-understandings.
Most precious cargo
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 November 2016
First Student has very high standards for their drivers. They have a safety attitude which has taken root & is growing.

It does take a special kind of person to be willing to move this most precious cargo - the responsibility is huge. Anyone can drive a bus - doing it with up to 72 distractions behind you is a special talent that is often under rated.

They pay is good per hour but shifts are always split.
This can be a mentally exhausting job whose rewards do not come on your pay cheque.
Pros
Schedule works well for anyone with children in school or not wanting to put in day care.
Cons
My opinion is that maintenance on buses seems reactive rather than proactive, or more mechanics are needed as we are growing larger locally.
Stressfull at times
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 November 2016
Overall a good place to work, but they are very short staffed which makes it difficult if you need a day off or sick. Nice to have weekends and holidays off
Pros
Indapented working
Cons
Short Staffed
my co-workers were a great bunch to work with
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2016
I did circle checks
drove the school bus
learned a lot of different routes
my co-workers were great people to work with
watching the kids grow up was the best part of the job
convenience time
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
modest part time with no benefits but can do as a second job , you can't support your family out of this job ,but it's the right job for home staying Moms
Lie and cheat
Red Seal Journeyman Autobody (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2016
I work for First Student in bus maintenance and they lied about all there safety incidents . Including fixing collision damaged buses with no damge sticker from the police . This is illegal and considered fraud. Basically they fix hit and run damage behind closed doors(not at a body shop) to avoid the police and high costs or repairs. Also this wont affect there safety rating , because they are not getting damage stickers from police. This is what is called a "chop shop" and is %100 illegal and I would not want my kids riding any of there :"hit and run" buses that have been poorly repaired.
Pros
Cons
Staff lies on all safety issues about maintence. Oldest fleet in Edmonton.
Fast pace place to work
Apprentice HET (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
Typical Fleet maintenance
perform quick repairs first thing in the morning allowing the drivers to perform their daily routes. Then perform CVIP inspections with follow up repairs when required
fellow members of the maintenance crew are a good bunch to work with
management at the branch are easy to work with and approachable
Pros
Freindly staff
Cons
Sometimes long days working outside
awesome job
Special Needs School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 September 2016
There is no typical day at First Student. We deal with Special Needs childern and all are different as in walk-ons to wheel chair to medicated to not. I love my job with First Student, I am just looking for a part time job just for a little more money.
Pros
Pros are establishing a rapor with the childeren
Cons
cons the smiles on all the kids faces at the end of the day
Driving
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 July 2016
I liked the flexibility of shifts, you can choose to work as little or as much as you wanted. Not just school routes but charters around Ontario.
Cons
No job advancement
fun people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 July 2016
Drive bus 4 hours per day during school year. Most of the time the bus is good but the odd time its in rough shape. There is not enough experience in the mechanics there. Otherwise, the job is ok.
Pros
if the bus goes in for service, comes back clean
Cons
no benefits, not enough communication between office and drivers
Strong Safety Dedication, a lot of opportunities to advance.
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
Provided me with a tremendous opportunity to grow from the entry level all the way up to the Management level. Innovator in Safety. Dedicated to the employees welfare. Fun and great place of work!
School Bus Driver & Charter Driver (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 June 2016
Excellent opportunity to work well-established work environment, great customer service friendly colleagues. I have been working 26 years. Unfortunately, the branch I work is closing down at the school year end.
drive peole to and from school and programs safely
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
i would drive kids and clients to and from school or programs safely all through the year. i would take up some feild trips as well as couriering from time to time.
Pros
extra work
Cons
early mornings

2.9