First Student Employee Reviews in Canada

Driving
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 23, 2016
I liked the flexibility of shifts, you can choose to work as little or as much as you wanted. Not just school routes but charters around Ontario.
Cons
No job advancement
fun people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 15, 2016
Drive bus 4 hours per day during school year. Most of the time the bus is good but the odd time its in rough shape. There is not enough experience in the mechanics there. Otherwise, the job is ok.
Pros
if the bus goes in for service, comes back clean
Cons
no benefits, not enough communication between office and drivers
Strong Safety Dedication, a lot of opportunities to advance.
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 27, 2016
Provided me with a tremendous opportunity to grow from the entry level all the way up to the Management level. Innovator in Safety. Dedicated to the employees welfare. Fun and great place of work!
School Bus Driver & Charter Driver (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONJune 15, 2016
Excellent opportunity to work well-established work environment, great customer service friendly colleagues. I have been working 26 years. Unfortunately, the branch I work is closing down at the school year end.
drive peole to and from school and programs safely
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
i would drive kids and clients to and from school or programs safely all through the year. i would take up some feild trips as well as couriering from time to time.
Pros
extra work
Cons
early mornings
I love this company!
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 30, 2016
Great people, great place to work. Awesome pay for the hours, summers and holidays off. Perfect place for a single mother; bring your kids to work with you!
Its a friendly place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ONApril 25, 2016
just maintain proper checks on the bus and drive kids to and from school in a safe manner staff is very friendly as well as helpful. our manager is great over all its a great place to work, I just something full time as this is seasonal, now that I'm not in wash bay due to heath
Great for the retired and new mothers
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONApril 10, 2016
It was very convenient to be able to bring my children on the bus while I worked until my oldest started school which proved to make it more difficult to manage due to having to take an earlier run which made me have to get my children out of bed at 5:30am and have my youngest (very active) child sit in his car seat for 4+ hours a day.
Pros
Can bring children with you on bus while you work
Cons
low pay for high responsibility
Fun workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  King City, ONApril 8, 2016
This is not the job to make a big money, I chose to work here because I am a mother and I love children. This is a part time job and it's good to keep you busy.
Fun place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
Overall its been great. The staff is supportive and the students are fun. Its only part time though is my only complaint.
They valued safety and commitment for the children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 3, 2016
Working for First Student for the past 7 years, I have seen first hand the level of commitment to safety that the company instils to it drivers. From the monthly safety meetings and regular driver evaluations, to our mission statement "I Care". The hardest part of our jobs, is in some cases having to deal with very unruly children, as well as un-attentive drivers on the road and still maintaining a professional, safe journey to and from school. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a child has given me a hug and said thank-you. I have always been treated fairly and with respect and supported by both management and office staff. I have learned over the course of my employment on how to work together with others as a team(going out on charters with other drivers and staying together) I consider most of my fellow drivers , the ones I have come to know well as friends and have enjoyed working with them.
Syed Ali kazmi
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2016
An excellent place to work among decent management with their co-operative attitude towards all team member specially with newly appointed staff.
Bus Driving
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMarch 16, 2016
Bus driving is an exciting career. It is rewarding watching the students grow and expand over the year if you continue to drive. Always something new every day. Job security is great and your bus run is always up to date and the company keeps you informed of any changes.
Pros
rewarding interacting with students.
Cons
due to being part time, money is not great
Work place
Bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
First student is a great place to work. I only work 6 hours a day monday to thursdays. Cons is the money and I do not have enough hours
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
The money, not enough hours
Very busy company with many drivers and possibility of making new friends.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 8, 2016
Steady firm to work for and fits in to my semi retired state of employment. Always work to do in the transportation field.
Pros
Steady part time work.
Cons
Split shifts to deal with each day.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
First student is a american company that works efficiently worldwide for transporting passengers and students through school buses.
Refrain
School Bus Driver ( B ) License (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Not much to review.

No justice for the drivers. If you ever get in trouble with the School Board, there is no chance for the drivers to present his/her side of story. You are guilty without any kind with one sided board's accusation, period.
Pros
Cons
Even with the due-paying union, nothing they did.
Great employees to work with and that's what made it worth going to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2016
There are great employees that I work with and it this was a job that felt like a big family. When it comes to pay the company started shorting the drivers by not paying them while the went past the time and still had passengers aboard. Management stooped giving out bonuses as of 2012 and then started shorting pay check and when confronting payroll they would not rectify the shortage. If they would change the management back to what it was back in 2009 the employees would stay longer.
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 18, 2015
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
nice place to work