First Student Employee Reviews

fun people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 July 2016
Drive bus 4 hours per day during school year. Most of the time the bus is good but the odd time its in rough shape. There is not enough experience in the mechanics there. Otherwise, the job is ok.
Pros
if the bus goes in for service, comes back clean
Cons
no benefits, not enough communication between office and drivers
convenience time
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2016
modest part time with no benefits but can do as a second job , you can't support your family out of this job ,but it's the right job for home staying Moms
Lie and cheat
Red Seal Journeyman Autobody (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2016
I work for First Student in bus maintenance and they lied about all there safety incidents . Including fixing collision damaged buses with no damge sticker from the police . This is illegal and considered fraud. Basically they fix hit and run damage behind closed doors(not at a body shop) to avoid the police and high costs or repairs. Also this wont affect there safety rating , because they are not getting damage stickers from police. This is what is called a "chop shop" and is %100 illegal and I would not want my kids riding any of there :"hit and run" buses that have been poorly repaired.
Pros
Cons
Staff lies on all safety issues about maintence. Oldest fleet in Edmonton.
Fast pace place to work
Apprentice HET (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
Typical Fleet maintenance
perform quick repairs first thing in the morning allowing the drivers to perform their daily routes. Then perform CVIP inspections with follow up repairs when required
fellow members of the maintenance crew are a good bunch to work with
management at the branch are easy to work with and approachable
Pros
Freindly staff
Cons
Sometimes long days working outside
my co-workers were a great bunch to work with
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2016
I did circle checks
drove the school bus
learned a lot of different routes
my co-workers were great people to work with
watching the kids grow up was the best part of the job
Stressfull at times
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 November 2016
Overall a good place to work, but they are very short staffed which makes it difficult if you need a day off or sick. Nice to have weekends and holidays off
Pros
Indapented working
Cons
Short Staffed
They valued safety and commitment for the children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 April 2016
Working for First Student for the past 7 years, I have seen first hand the level of commitment to safety that the company instils to it drivers. From the monthly safety meetings and regular driver evaluations, to our mission statement "I Care". The hardest part of our jobs, is in some cases having to deal with very unruly children, as well as un-attentive drivers on the road and still maintaining a professional, safe journey to and from school. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a child has given me a hug and said thank-you. I have always been treated fairly and with respect and supported by both management and office staff. I have learned over the course of my employment on how to work together with others as a team(going out on charters with other drivers and staying together) I consider most of my fellow drivers , the ones I have come to know well as friends and have enjoyed working with them.
awesome job
Special Needs School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 September 2016
There is no typical day at First Student. We deal with Special Needs childern and all are different as in walk-ons to wheel chair to medicated to not. I love my job with First Student, I am just looking for a part time job just for a little more money.
Pros
Pros are establishing a rapor with the childeren
Cons
cons the smiles on all the kids faces at the end of the day
Driving
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 July 2016
I liked the flexibility of shifts, you can choose to work as little or as much as you wanted. Not just school routes but charters around Ontario.
Cons
No job advancement
Strong Safety Dedication, a lot of opportunities to advance.
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
Provided me with a tremendous opportunity to grow from the entry level all the way up to the Management level. Innovator in Safety. Dedicated to the employees welfare. Fun and great place of work!
I was okay working
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
I enjoyed working with lots of kids. They were so lovely and sweet. i loved my job, as well my co-workers. my full team was nice, some time had some mis-understandings.
Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa/Orleans28 April 2013
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized.
Pros
Good solid comapny to work for
Cons
Charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
Great employees to work with and that's what made it worth going to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2016
There are great employees that I work with and it this was a job that felt like a big family. When it comes to pay the company started shorting the drivers by not paying them while the went past the time and still had passengers aboard. Management stooped giving out bonuses as of 2012 and then started shorting pay check and when confronting payroll they would not rectify the shortage. If they would change the management back to what it was back in 2009 the employees would stay longer.
Bus Driving
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON16 March 2016
Bus driving is an exciting career. It is rewarding watching the students grow and expand over the year if you continue to drive. Always something new every day. Job security is great and your bus run is always up to date and the company keeps you informed of any changes.
Pros
rewarding interacting with students.
Cons
due to being part time, money is not great
School Bus Driver & Charter Driver (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 June 2016
Excellent opportunity to work well-established work environment, great customer service friendly colleagues. I have been working 26 years. Unfortunately, the branch I work is closing down at the school year end.
Great for the retired and new mothers
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON10 April 2016
It was very convenient to be able to bring my children on the bus while I worked until my oldest started school which proved to make it more difficult to manage due to having to take an earlier run which made me have to get my children out of bed at 5:30am and have my youngest (very active) child sit in his car seat for 4+ hours a day.
Pros
Can bring children with you on bus while you work
Cons
low pay for high responsibility
drive peole to and from school and programs safely
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
i would drive kids and clients to and from school or programs safely all through the year. i would take up some feild trips as well as couriering from time to time.
Pros
extra work
Cons
early mornings
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 October 2013
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck.
Pros
Get to be there for your family.
Cons
Don't make enough money to be there for your family.
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 December 2015
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Not being able to help everyone.
I love this company!
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 May 2016
Great people, great place to work. Awesome pay for the hours, summers and holidays off. Perfect place for a single mother; bring your kids to work with you!

2.9