First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great working environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: lots of time off
Cons: time off with out paid
Working at first student is a great experience.. the absolute great thing is that I get all the school holiday off to spend with my son. I know for a fact that I can always have a job with this company and not worried about losing my job due to a shortage of work...
it is shorts hurs but very busy because you stay for 1/2 or 1hr and you gone again
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), 140-4th Ave East, Reginga, SKDecember 27, 2013
Most of these jobs are tedious work ,specially sitting or standing up in one place for such along period of time but it is fun working together and talking to one another as a one team. It is also more enjoyable and eagerness when the time of getting off work is approaching.
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
Pros: the vacations that the children get i also get them too.
Cons: no money to help pay rents and for food.
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter – more... time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day. – less
FIRST STUDENT CANADA Review
Mechanic (Co-op) (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, great diesel mechanic placement, fun new tasks to learn
So this workplace was well. My supervisor was absolutely amazing. The workers were amazing. There would be times I'm told to do a task and I do it, and i break something or messed up, it made me scared that they would get mad when i told them.

It was always the opposite, they never cared if you made a mistake or messed up. They would always just say, – more... yea we'll fix that.

It was not a bad place for a co-op experience, but i definitely wouldnt do it again. – less
Lot's and lot's of cleaning and painting
Cleaner, painter and maintance (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONOctober 11, 2013
Pros: good money and hours
Cons: no cons.
Nothing to say really. Cleaned the buses until they were done then went on to painting them. After all that was done I would do maintance around the yard or fix the office up.
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 8, 2013
Pros: get to be there for your family.
Cons: don't make enough money to be there for your family.
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed – more... to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck. – less
Great work experience with the children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: schedule wasn't workable
how to deal with kids,parents,teachers and driving skills.
management was really good.
traffic
Enjoy the experience, but it's not volunteer work.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Paris, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: rewarding
Cons: not paid for all time expected to work.
I absolutely love driving the school bus, and the time spent with my children every day. I would continue doing it if I was compensated properly for my time worked.
So far so good
driver (Current Employee), VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Pros: hours for me are ok, older drivers do try to help, i find management has been pretty g.ood
Cons: some equipment is getting pretty old
Training was good, extreme shortage of drivers. Have been treated pretty good. Pay is ok for what I do. Doing charter for the summer and that is certainly eye opening. Most of the kids were well behaved. But I had to finally tell the little darlings that the bus would stop at the opportunity and would not move until they sat down and stayed seated Reported – more... this to the office, still have no heard the results.

There is a pecking order don't run afoul of it...

. – less
fun to work as a school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa West, ONJune 21, 2013
its is a very responsible job because it emphasis on safety a lot, i enjoy dealing with the kids they make it challenging every day.
work experience
Mechanic (Former Employee), StrathmoreMay 10, 2013
Cons: biased management
Past employee,i agree with one comment from another past employee,when they want rid of you they will trump up any reason,then you're gone.
Very bad management,they don't care!
i think i get this job and i enjoy alot with kids..
Attendant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 9, 2013
overall i want to say this is a great job and i enjoy alot donig this job...
Great training and experience
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Welland, ONMay 5, 2013
Pros: lots of free time if no other income is needed. great training
Cons: more hours would be nice
Very professional training. A very safety minded company. Good part time work.
Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa/OrleansApril 28, 2013
Pros: good solid comapny to work for
Cons: charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of – more... my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized. – less
here is a day driving a school bus
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 7, 2013
Pros: meeting the children and their parents
Cons: it was part time
I would get up around 6am and then go and pick up my bus. I would start driving at around 7;30 after I did my pre-trip inspection. This was a part time job. I learned to have patience. The management was greate. My co-workers were unbelievebly fantastic. The hardest part of the job was trying to concentrate on my driving with the children talking too – more... loud and some of them argueing on the bus with other children. The most injoyable part of the job was greeting the children every morning and seeing their smiling faces looking forward to their day at school – less
not much
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 19, 2013
great place to work if fulltime mom, retiree or looking for a flexible schedule
horable company to work for
driver (Former Employee), vancouver, bcMarch 16, 2013
Very rewarding working with children with special needs . Safety standards are very poor and dangerous management is totally unprofessional and treat employees unfair if you hurt your self on the job look out they will do anything in there power to fire you or fight your claim . I f you are being miss treated by this employer do not be afraid to stand – more... up for your self and your rights . Thats why they have a hi employee turn over.The employees should be unionized to protect its workers as in the eastern part of Canada. – less
life of a bus driver
bus driver (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONMarch 14, 2013
every morning a circle check is done on the bus. I pick up 52 children and deliver them safely to and from school. I enjoy my job. I enjoy working with the public. Sometimes it can be a bit challenging if the children are too noisy or the weather is bad but I get through it without any difficulties.
Management doesn't stand behind company policies
School Bus Operator (Former Employee), ManitobaMarch 3, 2013
Pros: company will pay if you keep an eye on your hours.
Cons: unsafe equipment and drivers are pushed around.
After driving school bus for a few years we moved here and I was hired by First Student. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Buses are not maintained and they don't help with child behaviour issues. In one year they asked me to do something illegal twice and a coworker twice. When I asked how to make it legal I was advised to do it or get fired. – more... Drivers have to double check every paycheque as extra time wasn't automatically put on. – less
Good company, friendly staff.
School Bus,Van & WheeChair Driver. (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: good part time job. allows for free time during the day. summers free.
Cons: no benefits, low wages
Good company commited to safety. Excellent training and solid management. I have greatly enjoyed my job over the years. The children are wonderful.

About First Student Canada

First Student Canada, a subsidiary of the British company FirstGroup and a division of FirstGroup America, is a major contractor – Read more