First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great People to work with.
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee), Bowmanville, ONJune 30, 2012
Pros: you get to see great sceenery.
Cons: the pay is not the greatest for what we have to do in our days work.
My day starts with my bus. I make sure it is safe for my passangers and myself. The other drivers are very helpful and friendly and are great people to work with and the office are nice and great to have as support. The hardest part of the job is at school end when you say good bye to the students that graduated 12 and bye to the other students when summer holidays start. I enjoy every single part of my job. Driving the bus, the students, schools and co-workers.

July 31, 2012

Hi, I'm interested in obtaining a bus driving position with First Student. I have already submitted an application and am in the process of setting up my training session. I was just wondering, do you know what the beginning pay rate is? Thanks!

Amazing and fulfilling job!!! Sadly, management does not enhance this experience :(
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: hours, environment while driving bus
Cons: poor bus maintenance, management is not supportive of the drivers unless you are with the "in" crowd.
Work environment while driving bus is very rewarding and fulfilling. Unfortunately, management does nothing to enhance this experience, and if they want you "out the door" without just cause, they can and will do it. More attention needs to be paid to maintenance of their busses - this would certainly make their motto of "safety first" more viable from a driver's perspective.
wonderful for a mother with children
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: able to bring my own children with me
Cons: not enough pay and short hours
Drive 2 to 3 hours in the morning and the afternoon picking from school home and home to school..
Having a bus full of children.

some time we would do charter wish is doing school trips during school hours. there would be a few more dollars.

doing a bus check every morning making sure there was nothing wrong with the bus and it was in driving condition.

making sure children were delivered to their destination safe and sound
great people to work with
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Welland, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Cons: little pay
driving school bus is great for retirees and old age as well and younger i have been driving bus for 6 years and at the time it was the only thing i could do and still be home with my daughter you start each morning with a circle check to make sure your bus is road ready and theres no problems then you drive your slected route picking upo school children along the way and take them to school.
a very stressful, unappreciated industry
CHARTER MANAGER (Former Employee), caledonAugust 27, 2012
Pros: work independantly flexible hours
Cons: very unstable employment
Environment changed dramatically over the 10 years of service with this position. Low pay rates, high risk position, no respect
Good to have the flexibility to bring your children to work but not recommended due to the poor environment young children are subjected to. Health concerns are high due to being subject to a closed environment with many children to consider.
Great management team until you go up the corporate chain.

November 1, 2012

The only ones that make money in this industry is the Company. The school boards pay really well, they just don't pass it on to the drivers.

Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
caring about employees.
Bus driver (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 30, 2012
Pros: fun employees
Cons: poorly managed.
This company runs it's company as a military style employer. Do what I say and not what I do additude. They send employee home with a no pay suspension with no thought or caring what they are putting that employees family though emotionally and especially financially.
Most of the employees are fun to work with. And some of them actually care.
Driving the students on your regular run can be a rewarding even.
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee), Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons: Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
It's good if you like kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee), NE in CalgaryApril 5, 2014
Pros: have chance to be with kids
Cons: time spent is longer than expected without proper pay
The company is supposed to be good because it helps kids by providing transportation to and from schools; however, the management group is too new to handle all the problems. They
do know to stick to the company policies and regulations. But they may be too strict to follow these rules without considering
enough all problem factors.
it is shorts hurs but very busy because you stay for 1/2 or 1hr and you gone again
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), 140-4th Ave East, Reginga, SKDecember 27, 2013
Most of these jobs are tedious work ,specially sitting or standing up in one place for such along period of time but it is fun working together and talking to one another as a one team. It is also more enjoyable and eagerness when the time of getting off work is approaching.
Excellent job for stay at home moms
On-Site Supervisor/School bus driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 24, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: winter driving
Working part time has given me the ability to raise my child while still bringing home a paycheque. The prople I work with are amazing and knowing that I am giving back to the community by transporting children to their schools is very rewarding
languague is not a big issue
School bus driver (Current Employee), Brampton, On.July 20, 2014
Pros: free morning
Cons: no much hours
Be able to drive kids from home to school make my days full of energy, kids are very special. With a friendly environment to work with, dispatchers and manager are very patience's with all drivers for the reason of all we want is a safe return home. Students and Parents are happy so are the drivers.
life of a bus driver
bus driver (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONMarch 14, 2013
every morning a circle check is done on the bus. I pick up 52 children and deliver them safely to and from school. I enjoy my job. I enjoy working with the public. Sometimes it can be a bit challenging if the children are too noisy or the weather is bad but I get through it without any difficulties.
great working environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: lots of time off
Cons: time off with out paid
Working at first student is a great experience.. the absolute great thing is that I get all the school holiday off to spend with my son. I know for a fact that I can always have a job with this company and not worried about losing my job due to a shortage of work...
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor management
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
not as fun as it use to be
School bus driver (Current Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: it's before my other job
Cons: i'm not liking the management
I drive school kids to school every day . doing a pre trip to ensure the bus is in safe and proper working order. do my run picking up all the kids and dropping them off @ there schools.
Informative
School bus Driver (Former Employee), Caledon, ONJune 21, 2012
Learned to drive a big bus. As the company gave me the training. The management is very well organised. The atmosphere is totaly friendly and very helping in nature. Enjoyable part of the job is drive thru various streets, gives knowledge of roads and streets. Hardest partof the job is may be to drive in bad witer conditions.
nice and dangerous job
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Coquitlam. BCFebruary 7, 2012
It's a easy job with kids but all drivers has to pay our concerns to kids safety. And I have to check inside the bus 4 time in a day because the kid may be stay under the seat
Driving is very careful to protect kid
that's why it's a dangerous and good job with kid

September 25, 2012

you said truely it is good but dangerous job.I m interested for this job,I did my appilication but I did not get any answer that I'm elegible or not,please tell me bcz I have to much need for this joab. thanks

Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: This business should be simple but it is being made complex
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Pros: I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons: short hours
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger