First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: short hours
Cons: not great pay
A typical day you get to your bus. You inspect it for defects. Now you go pick up the students and take them to school. Then you go back the school at 2:30 to pick them up and take them home.
Good Training
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Paid for training, meetings & supply meals or snacks at meetings
First Student was awe some at making training available for driving school bus. They are thorough at making sure you know all that is necessary and comfortable behind the wheel before sending you for your drivers test.
Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
productive and fun work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: free lunches and allowance sometimes
Cons: short hour
excellent,nice manager,friendly environment,approachable manager,enjoy working with kids,to be patient all the time,
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons: management organization, mechanics
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ – more... years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous. – less
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee), Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons: Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor management
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
Enjoyed working with Special Needs Children
Special Needs Driver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 7, 2014
Pros: meeting the special needs children
Cons: road conditions and scheduling
Driving Special needs children to and from school. I learned how special these children are. I worked well with my dispatchers. the hardest part of the job was watching the children while driving. I enjoyed meeting and getting to know the Special needs children.
High tension - Poor management
Paratransit supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKDecember 2, 2014
Pros: paid the bills - when they didn't cut my cheque in half
Cons: everything - do not work here.
afternoon supervisor review:
(If you don't want to read - do not take this position. In a nut shell. Do not. Horrible job.)

The wage works out to 18/hr on salary which is nice on paper, but you work a heap ton of extra hours without extra pay.

You will be given a work cell phone that you must answer 24/7. Even on holidays and days off. Even if you book time off. "Tough" said the boss.

The union – more... is horribly strict and there was constant confrontation between management and staff.

Poor management. Could not give proper direction. A lot of unanswered questions.

Office staff are not able to take sick days. I called in sick at 4am with a fever (did not work until 230pm) and was still told to come in because "it's not my problem that you're sick" said my boss.

The work load will range from normal to tripple from a daily basis with zero added incentive. If your on salary you lose money every extra hour you work. You'll work a min 10 hour day every day. And get paid for 8 on salary.

There is no common courtesy or general respect. The drivers and shop treat you like you're a complete idiot. Lots of tension.

The company wasn't making money, so instead of filing for bankruptcy they decided to take half of everyone's pay cheques and hold them until you quit or were fired. To make their numbers look good on paper. This is 100% truthful. I will show my pay stubs to anyone doubting this.

This company, overall, will not be successful in future endeavours. The wage:work load ratio is horrible. The staff environment is beyond unprofessional and they will expect the world from you but are not willing to give you anything in return. I do not and will never recommend this company to anyone ever. – less
Loved working with children
School bus driver (Former Employee), Caledon, ONNovember 16, 2014
This company is very good to work for. They keep policies and procedures in order. Training is ongoing for all bus drivers.
friendly work place
First Student, Hamilton (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 10, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: traffic
I enjoyed this workplace because of the easy going and friendly work place. The managers and co workers were all great people. The hardest part was at the end of the year and saying goodbye to my kids.
Good and organized work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2014
Worked as a school bus driver. taking care of the safety of children and the operating condition of the bus. dealing with teachers and parents.Enjoyable Job, good management and friendly co-workers
Amazing people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Milton, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: time management
Cons: busy hours
- safety is the first thing to be considered
- Children are too nice to handle
- amazing people to work with
- helping co-workers
- driving during bad weather is hard.
- enjoy family time when you take school children out.
great people to work with
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Welland, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Cons: little pay
driving school bus is great for retirees and old age as well and younger i have been driving bus for 6 years and at the time it was the only thing i could do and still be home with my daughter you start each morning with a circle check to make sure your bus is road ready and theres no problems then you drive your slected route picking upo school children along the way and take them to school.
Over all, I loved my job/customers and people I worked with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 12, 2014
Pros: hours of work was great.
Cons: the pay wasn't the greatest, but it paid the bills
A typical day at work was at times very busy. I answered emails and phone calls for quotes and orders for school excursions and public functions.
I've learned a lot about the various rates, destinations and time of traveling times. I also learned a lot about the Computer program.
The busiest and most stressful times was from April to the end of June and from September to Christmas break. Going to work – more... was very enjoyable. Not every day was the same.
My co-workers were great and we all worked well as a team. We helped each other if we needed it.
I loved my boss, she was great to work for. She was always there to answer any questions I had if I needed her input about something.
The hardest part of the job was, I think, having multiple jobs on the computer at the same time and praying I didn't mess it up. I did a lot of multi-tasking and got the jobs done efficiently and in a timely manner for the customer and company satisfaction. My customers were very happy with the service I provided to them and I had a great raport will each and every one. – less
Fun place to work
Driver -school bus (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2014
Typical day would entail pre and post trip inspections, completion of daily log books, picking up students (JK -12) and delivering them safely to school.
I've learned how to become a much better driver with the variety of regluar safety meetings that are held.
Management are awesome people and very understanding.
Co workers are a fun bunch always have a laugh
hardest part is dealing with some parents who think their children can do no wrong, and students that are late to the pick up stop and expect you to return for them.
Sometimes the winter weather can be a challenge, but doable due to good training.
most enjoyable part is being outside and driving, meeting the different kids each year and knowing that you are helping shape their lives indirectly too.
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: it's a great job and i love it.
Cons: the pay sucks for the responsability we have.
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person.
languague is not a big issue
School bus driver (Current Employee), Brampton, On.July 20, 2014
Pros: free morning
Cons: no much hours
Be able to drive kids from home to school make my days full of energy, kids are very special. With a friendly environment to work with, dispatchers and manager are very patience's with all drivers for the reason of all we want is a safe return home. Students and Parents are happy so are the drivers.
Bullies and Cowards
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee), Alberta Oil SandsJuly 8, 2014
Pros: lodging and travell assistance, great co-workers, good pay.
Cons: nickle and diming, no job security, pettiness
One of the greatest jobs ever to do however, the management is extremely poor.
They have no respect or appreciation for the employee or their efforts. They push you around all they want and screw up your schedules and routines on you at the last minute and regularly, yet expect you to be flawless in your duties.
They can be condescending towards workers always giving you runaround and BS. They fire people over pettiness.
The equipment is junk largely due to worksite conditions but most of it is already old obsolete retired junk prior to service.
Very adversarial environment.
Great job for a butt kisser or a puppet.
disorganized office
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJune 5, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: poor managment
as i am capable or many positions i am constantly miss informed of my duties from day to day

1 2 3 4

About First Student Canada

First Student Canada, a subsidiary of the British company FirstGroup and a division of FirstGroup America, is a major contractor – Read more