First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Amazing people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Milton, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: time management
Cons: busy hours
- safety is the first thing to be considered
- Children are too nice to handle
- amazing people to work with
- helping co-workers
- driving during bad weather is hard.
- enjoy family time when you take school children out.
great people to work with
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Welland, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Cons: little pay
driving school bus is great for retirees and old age as well and younger i have been driving bus for 6 years and at the time it was the only thing i could do and still be home with my daughter you start each morning with a circle check to make sure your bus is road ready and theres no problems then you drive your slected route picking upo school children – more... along the way and take them to school. – less
Over all, I loved my job/customers and people I worked with.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 12, 2014
Pros: hours of work was great.
Cons: the pay wasn't the greatest, but it paid the bills
A typical day at work was at times very busy. I answered emails and phone calls for quotes and orders for school excursions and public functions.
I've learned a lot about the various rates, destinations and time of traveling times. I also learned a lot about the Computer program.
The busiest and most stressful times was from April to the end of June – more... and from September to Christmas break. Going to work was very enjoyable. Not every day was the same.
My co-workers were great and we all worked well as a team. We helped each other if we needed it.
I loved my boss, she was great to work for. She was always there to answer any questions I had if I needed her input about something.
The hardest part of the job was, I think, having multiple jobs on the computer at the same time and praying I didn't mess it up. I did a lot of multi-tasking and got the jobs done efficiently and in a timely manner for the customer and company satisfaction. My customers were very happy with the service I provided to them and I had a great raport will each and every one. – less
Fun place to work
Driver -school bus (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2014
Typical day would entail pre and post trip inspections, completion of daily log books, picking up students (JK -12) and delivering them safely to school.
I've learned how to become a much better driver with the variety of regluar safety meetings that are held.
Management are awesome people and very understanding.
Co workers are a fun bunch always have – more... a laugh
hardest part is dealing with some parents who think their children can do no wrong, and students that are late to the pick up stop and expect you to return for them.
Sometimes the winter weather can be a challenge, but doable due to good training.
most enjoyable part is being outside and driving, meeting the different kids each year and knowing that you are helping shape their lives indirectly too. – less
This is a great job but we are not paid enough for the responsability we are charged with.
Currently I drive a school bus (Current Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: it's a great job and i love it.
Cons: the pay sucks for the responsability we have.
I enjoy driving my school bus. I have a great bus management, which means to control students while I am driving. I have had the opportunity to exercise my ability to lead people but also to be the students friend along with letting them know that I AM incharge as to what goes on in the bus so that it is safe for me to drive.
The hardest part of my – more... job is getting the bus ready in the cold winters.
Co-workers, I get along with all of them as I am a peoples person. – less
languague is not a big issue
School bus driver (Current Employee), Brampton, On.July 20, 2014
Pros: free morning
Cons: no much hours
Be able to drive kids from home to school make my days full of energy, kids are very special. With a friendly environment to work with, dispatchers and manager are very patience's with all drivers for the reason of all we want is a safe return home. Students and Parents are happy so are the drivers.
Bullies and Cowards
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee), Alberta Oil SandsJuly 8, 2014
Pros: lodging and travell assistance, great co-workers, good pay.
Cons: nickle and diming, no job security, pettiness
One of the greatest jobs ever to do however, the management is extremely poor.
They have no respect or appreciation for the employee or their efforts. They push you around all they want and screw up your schedules and routines on you at the last minute and regularly, yet expect you to be flawless in your duties.
They can be condescending towards workers – more... always giving you runaround and BS. They fire people over pettiness.
The equipment is junk largely due to worksite conditions but most of it is already old obsolete retired junk prior to service.
Very adversarial environment.
Great job for a butt kisser or a puppet. – less
disorganized office
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJune 5, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: poor managment
as i am capable or many positions i am constantly miss informed of my duties from day to day
Parts Person (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2014
Was a good place to work, how ever there was no job security for me I rearanged the parts room and was just getting things going well when I was let go.
Overall, the job isn't that great. A good stepping stone for a real job though.
Charter Bus Driver (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 8, 2014
Pros: excellent/friendly co-workers
Cons: terrible management practices out of the vancouver head office location.
My experiences are all through the Coquitlam branch of First Student.

Positives:

My co-workers are excellent.
Most of the equipment is newer and reasonably well maintained.
The location manager is fair, competent, and likeable, even though she's based out of the Maple Ridge location.

Negatives:

Being the largest transportation company makes each – more... employee feel like a number and not a person within the company anymore.
The Vancouver office is also the western Canada head office, making them extremely busy all the time. This results in employee communications from other locations being missed/ignored constantly.
While the rate of pay isn't all that bad once you reach the maximum rate, it takes a full 5 years to get there, Other than a 4 hr/day guarantee, there aren't a lot of hours.
Charter assignments are assigned the day before, making it difficult to schedule your life around the job.
Company will not pay overtime
Company will train you for each and every occurrence or mishap out there. That way, if something happens and you're found at fault, the company can then say "we trained them on this day about this kind of danger. We have nothing to do with it now as we've done our due diligence." – less
It's good if you like kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee), NE in CalgaryApril 5, 2014
Pros: have chance to be with kids
Cons: time spent is longer than expected without proper pay
The company is supposed to be good because it helps kids by providing transportation to and from schools; however, the management group is too new to handle all the problems. They
do know to stick to the company policies and regulations. But they may be too strict to follow these rules without considering
enough all problem factors.
not as fun as it use to be
School bus driver (Current Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: it's before my other job
Cons: i'm not liking the management
I drive school kids to school every day . doing a pre trip to ensure the bus is in safe and proper working order. do my run picking up all the kids and dropping them off @ there schools.
good workplace
Yard Person (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2014
Boosting buses, All the maintenance and repairing.
Good co-workers.
Management good.
wonderful for a mother with children
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: able to bring my own children with me
Cons: not enough pay and short hours
Drive 2 to 3 hours in the morning and the afternoon picking from school home and home to school..
Having a bus full of children.

some time we would do charter wish is doing school trips during school hours. there would be a few more dollars.

doing a bus check every morning making sure there was nothing wrong with the bus and it was in driving condition.

making – more... sure children were delivered to their destination safe and sound – less
Warehouse environment with no A/C
Parts Clerk, Biller (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: upper management, the foreman and technicians where great
Cons: the heat and lack of proper training
I was only there for four months. I had never worked in a warehouse and it was a very hot spring and summer. There was a small A/C unit in the little office my supervisor and I shared that did almost nothing to cool the place. I didn't get the training I needed because my supervisor was new to the job and was very impatient with me and would get angry. – more... He was not understanding to the fact that I needed time to learn. He had been there for many years and expected any new employee to learn it all in a day. I finally ended up with heat stroke and had to leave. I felt sorry for my replacement. – less
great working environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: lots of time off
Cons: time off with out paid
Working at first student is a great experience.. the absolute great thing is that I get all the school holiday off to spend with my son. I know for a fact that I can always have a job with this company and not worried about losing my job due to a shortage of work...
it is shorts hurs but very busy because you stay for 1/2 or 1hr and you gone again
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), 140-4th Ave East, Reginga, SKDecember 27, 2013
Most of these jobs are tedious work ,specially sitting or standing up in one place for such along period of time but it is fun working together and talking to one another as a one team. It is also more enjoyable and eagerness when the time of getting off work is approaching.
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
Pros: the vacations that the children get i also get them too.
Cons: no money to help pay rents and for food.
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter – more... time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day. – less
FIRST STUDENT CANADA Review
Mechanic (Co-op) (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, great diesel mechanic placement, fun new tasks to learn
So this workplace was well. My supervisor was absolutely amazing. The workers were amazing. There would be times I'm told to do a task and I do it, and i break something or messed up, it made me scared that they would get mad when i told them.

It was always the opposite, they never cared if you made a mistake or messed up. They would always just say, – more... yea we'll fix that.

It was not a bad place for a co-op experience, but i definitely wouldnt do it again. – less
Lot's and lot's of cleaning and painting
Cleaner, painter and maintance (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONOctober 11, 2013
Pros: good money and hours
Cons: no cons.
Nothing to say really. Cleaned the buses until they were done then went on to painting them. After all that was done I would do maintance around the yard or fix the office up.

1 2 3

About First Student Canada

First Student Canada, a subsidiary of the British company FirstGroup and a division of FirstGroup America, is a major contractor – Read more