First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
They valued safety and commitment for the children
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 3, 2016
Working for First Student for the past 7 years, I have seen first hand the level of commitment to safety that the company instils to it drivers. From the monthly safety meetings and regular driver evaluations, to our mission statement "I Care". The hardest part of our jobs, is in some cases having to deal with very unruly children, as well as un-attentive drivers on the road and still maintaining a professional, safe journey to and from school. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a child has given me a hug and said thank-you. I have always been treated fairly and with respect and supported by both management and office staff. I have learned over the course of my employment on how to work together with others as a team(going out on charters with other drivers and staying together) I consider most of my fellow drivers , the ones I have come to know well as friends and have enjoyed working with them.
Great employees to work with and that's what made it worth going to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2016
There are great employees that I work with and it this was a job that felt like a big family. When it comes to pay the company started shorting the drivers by not paying them while the went past the time and still had passengers aboard. Management stooped giving out bonuses as of 2012 and then started shorting pay check and when confronting payroll they would not rectify the shortage. If they would change the management back to what it was back in 2009 the employees would stay longer.
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 18, 2015
Pros: Great place to work.
Cons: Not being able to help everyone.
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
Syed Ali kazmi
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2016
An excellent place to work among decent management with their co-operative attitude towards all team member specially with newly appointed staff.
Great for the retired and new mothers
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Ajax, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: Can bring children with you on bus while you work
Cons: low pay for high responsibility
It was very convenient to be able to bring my children on the bus while I worked until my oldest started school which proved to make it more difficult to manage due to having to take an earlier run which made me have to get my children out of bed at 5:30am and have my youngest (very active) child sit in his car seat for 4+ hours a day.
Its a friendly place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), London, ONApril 25, 2016
just maintain proper checks on the bus and drive kids to and from school in a safe manner staff is very friendly as well as helpful. our manager is great over all its a great place to work, I just something full time as this is seasonal, now that I'm not in wash bay due to heath
was a good company
mechanic (Former Employee), caledonOctober 20, 2015
Pros: good guys to work with
Cons: poor mangment
hours were good was a great company to work for but in the last few years different management then lead to very poor mangament
Very busy company with many drivers and possibility of making new friends.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Markham, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Steady part time work.
Cons: Split shifts to deal with each day.
Steady firm to work for and fits in to my semi retired state of employment. Always work to do in the transportation field.
Fun place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
Overall its been great. The staff is supportive and the students are fun. Its only part time though is my only complaint.
Fun workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), King City, ONApril 8, 2016
This is not the job to make a big money, I chose to work here because I am a mother and I love children. This is a part time job and it's good to keep you busy.
Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: This business should be simple but it is being made complex
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons: management organization, mechanics
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Pros: I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons: short hours
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
nice place to work
tours
trained other workers
Bullies and Cowards
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee), Alberta Oil SandsJuly 8, 2014
Pros: lodging and travell assistance, great co-workers, good pay.
Cons: nickle and diming, no job security, pettiness
One of the greatest jobs ever to do however, the management is extremely poor.
They have no respect or appreciation for the employee or their efforts. They push you around all they want and screw up your schedules and routines on you at the last minute and regularly, yet expect you to be flawless in your duties.
They can be condescending towards workers always giving you runaround and BS. They fire people over pettiness.
The equipment is junk largely due to worksite conditions but most of it is already old obsolete retired junk prior to service.
Very adversarial environment.
Great job for a butt kisser or a puppet.
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor management
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee), Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons: Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Seaonal
Overall good company to work for. Treat the staff well. Would be better if there were more shifts. Driving kids to school
Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa/OrleansApril 28, 2013
Pros: good solid comapny to work for
Cons: charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized.
drive children to school
bus driver (Current Employee), orangeville, ontarioAugust 27, 2015
driving school bus and safely taking children to and from school has been an enjoyable experience... I would drive them safely to school through all kinds of traffic and weather