First Student Canada

First Student Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working at First Student was challenging and rewarding. Staff and co-workers were great and we all worked as a team.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 18, 2015
Pros: Great place to work.
Cons: Not being able to help everyone.
A typical day at work was very fast paced and challenging. In working at First Student I have learned computer programs such as MS Word, Share Point,some SAP and Excel. I have also learned to know my areas all around the greater Toronto area and charges for the Rental of buses for excursions.

Management were great to work for, they were helpful, understanding and it was great working for them. My co-workers were also great and we all worked as a team.

The hardest thing about the job was pleasing all customers. Some customers wanted buses on the spur of the moment and it was challenging trying to accommodate them all. I almost always succeeded in helping them on the spur of the moment. I had many customers who looked on me for help. I had an excellent rapport with all my clients.

At the end of the day, it was very gratifying knowing that I have helped so many people plan their trips.
nice place to work
decent hours
tours
trained other workers
Go Go Go
Regional Maintenance Manager - Eastern Canada (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: This business should be simple but it is being made complex
I have learned that people not machines are the strength of any company and as life gets faster and computers quicker its still people that support the foundation.
Free coffee
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2015
Pros: I was off work as same time my kids are off school
Cons: short hours
At beginning I didn't get long with dispatch. they were easy to get upset and unclear to understnd on the radio. they were willing to repeat the message on the radio without being anger
was a good company
mechanic (Former Employee), caledonOctober 20, 2015
Pros: good guys to work with
Cons: poor mangment
hours were good was a great company to work for but in the last few years different management then lead to very poor mangament
Good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Seaonal
Overall good company to work for. Treat the staff well. Would be better if there were more shifts. Driving kids to school
drive children to school
bus driver (Current Employee), orangeville, ontarioAugust 27, 2015
driving school bus and safely taking children to and from school has been an enjoyable experience... I would drive them safely to school through all kinds of traffic and weather
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: short hours
Cons: not great pay
A typical day you get to your bus. You inspect it for defects. Now you go pick up the students and take them to school. Then you go back the school at 2:30 to pick them up and take them home.
Good Training
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Paid for training, meetings & supply meals or snacks at meetings
First Student was awe some at making training available for driving school bus. They are thorough at making sure you know all that is necessary and comfortable behind the wheel before sending you for your drivers test.
Busy, respectful workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at First Student, everyone could work as a team, was very demanding at time but was enjoyable.
Answering, calls, data input, dispatch, working with the Location manager. Co-workers were all pleasant and hard working willing to put together and help each other when needed. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customers, but once all was taken care of they and you were happy with the outcome
productive and fun work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ajax, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: free lunches and allowance sometimes
Cons: short hour
excellent,nice manager,friendly environment,approachable manager,enjoy working with kids,to be patient all the time,
Good place to work, however stresfull
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: work - life balance, pays is good, extra runs
Cons: management organization, mechanics
It's an ok place to work. Specially if you have kids or the economy is bad. They need bus drivers, so it's likely that there's always going to be jobs available.
There are lots of opportunities for extras,which is good..
One of the few downsides is the fact that only the senior bus drivers get a good bus, all the others will drive a really old piece of junk.
Some buses are bad, really bad. 10+ years old and really worn up.
Some buses are so slow,that it will make you mad..

Another negative side is during the inspections "season". Lots of buses' inspection are due on similar dates and there begins your daily stress..Your assigned bus may be gone for over a month. And everyday it is a pain to get a bus, which means you'll be late for your route everyday.
I had to drive 2 different buses everyday, which means 2 pre-trips, which is time consuming.

Mechanics often ignore when you write a bus up, unless it is something really dangerous.
small workplace filled with big projects
Shop attendant (Former Employee), Athabasca, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: i made my own schedule- decent pay
Cons: Hot-long days-lack of proper tools
long days full, of hard work and having to make executive decisions when faced with unexpected challenges, because of absence of direction. Procedures were long and difficult with lack of proper tools. management was reasonable and had full trust in me regarding access to all areas of the building when left alone for a days work.
Terrible Company, poorly managed
Bus driver, special needs children (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: poor management
Do not work for this joke of a company. Unless you don't mind finding yourself unemployed and seeking legal counsel for wrongful dismissal. They are ridiculous and should have proper policy and procedure processes in place. Very unfortunate.
Enjoyed working with Special Needs Children
Special Needs Driver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 7, 2014
Pros: meeting the special needs children
Cons: road conditions and scheduling
Driving Special needs children to and from school. I learned how special these children are. I worked well with my dispatchers. the hardest part of the job was watching the children while driving. I enjoyed meeting and getting to know the Special needs children.
High tension - Poor management
Paratransit supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKDecember 2, 2014
Pros: paid the bills - when they didn't cut my cheque in half
Cons: everything - do not work here.
afternoon supervisor review:
(If you don't want to read - do not take this position. In a nut shell. Do not. Horrible job.)

The wage works out to 18/hr on salary which is nice on paper, but you work a heap ton of extra hours without extra pay.

You will be given a work cell phone that you must answer 24/7. Even on holidays and days off. Even if you book time off. "Tough" said the boss.

The union is horribly strict and there was constant confrontation between management and staff.

Poor management. Could not give proper direction. A lot of unanswered questions.

Office staff are not able to take sick days. I called in sick at 4am with a fever (did not work until 230pm) and was still told to come in because "it's not my problem that you're sick" said my boss.

The work load will range from normal to tripple from a daily basis with zero added incentive. If your on salary you lose money every extra hour you work. You'll work a min 10 hour day every day. And get paid for 8 on salary.

There is no common courtesy or general respect. The drivers and shop treat you like you're a complete idiot. Lots of tension.

The company wasn't making money, so instead of filing for bankruptcy they decided to take half of everyone's pay cheques and hold them until you quit or were fired. To make their numbers look good on paper. This is 100% truthful. I will show my pay stubs to anyone doubting this.

This company, overall, will not be successful in future endeavours. The wage:work load ratio is horrible. The staff environment is beyond unprofessional and they will expect the world from you but – more... are not willing to give you anything in return. I do not and will never recommend this company to anyone ever. – less
Loved working with children
School bus driver (Former Employee), Caledon, ONNovember 16, 2014
This company is very good to work for. They keep policies and procedures in order. Training is ongoing for all bus drivers.
friendly work place
First Student, Hamilton (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 10, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: traffic
I enjoyed this workplace because of the easy going and friendly work place. The managers and co workers were all great people. The hardest part was at the end of the year and saying goodbye to my kids.
Good and organized work place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2014
Worked as a school bus driver. taking care of the safety of children and the operating condition of the bus. dealing with teachers and parents.Enjoyable Job, good management and friendly co-workers
Amazing people to work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Milton, ONSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: time management
Cons: busy hours
- safety is the first thing to be considered
- Children are too nice to handle
- amazing people to work with
- helping co-workers
- driving during bad weather is hard.
- enjoy family time when you take school children out.