FIRST STUDENT CANADA

FIRST STUDENT CANADA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Overall, the job isn't that great. A good stepping stone for a real job though.
Charter Bus Driver (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 8, 2014
Pros: excellent/friendly co-workers
Cons: terrible management practices out of the vancouver head office location.
My experiences are all through the Coquitlam branch of First Student.

Positives:

My co-workers are excellent.
Most of the equipment is newer and reasonably well maintained.
The location manager is fair, competent, and likeable, even though she's based out of the Maple Ridge location.

Negatives:

Being the largest transportation company makes each – more... employee feel like a number and not a person within the company anymore.
The Vancouver office is also the western Canada head office, making them extremely busy all the time. This results in employee communications from other locations being missed/ignored constantly.
While the rate of pay isn't all that bad once you reach the maximum rate, it takes a full 5 years to get there, Other than a 4 hr/day guarantee, there aren't a lot of hours.
Charter assignments are assigned the day before, making it difficult to schedule your life around the job.
Company will not pay overtime
Company will train you for each and every occurrence or mishap out there. That way, if something happens and you're found at fault, the company can then say "we trained them on this day about this kind of danger. We have nothing to do with it now as we've done our due diligence." – less
It's good if you like kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee), NE in CalgaryApril 5, 2014
Pros: have chance to be with kids
Cons: time spent is longer than expected without proper pay
The company is supposed to be good because it helps kids by providing transportation to and from schools; however, the management group is too new to handle all the problems. They
do know to stick to the company policies and regulations. But they may be too strict to follow these rules without considering
enough all problem factors.
not as fun as it use to be
School bus driver (Current Employee), Georgetown, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: it's before my other job
Cons: i'm not liking the management
I drive school kids to school every day . doing a pre trip to ensure the bus is in safe and proper working order. do my run picking up all the kids and dropping them off @ there schools.
good workplace
Yard Person (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2014
Boosting buses, All the maintenance and repairing.
Good co-workers.
Management good.
wonderful for a mother with children
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: able to bring my own children with me
Cons: not enough pay and short hours
Drive 2 to 3 hours in the morning and the afternoon picking from school home and home to school..
Having a bus full of children.

some time we would do charter wish is doing school trips during school hours. there would be a few more dollars.

doing a bus check every morning making sure there was nothing wrong with the bus and it was in driving condition.

making – more... sure children were delivered to their destination safe and sound – less
Warehouse environment with no A/C
Parts Clerk, Biller (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: upper management, the foreman and technicians where great
Cons: the heat and lack of proper training
I was only there for four months. I had never worked in a warehouse and it was a very hot spring and summer. There was a small A/C unit in the little office my supervisor and I shared that did almost nothing to cool the place. I didn't get the training I needed because my supervisor was new to the job and was very impatient with me and would get angry. – more... He was not understanding to the fact that I needed time to learn. He had been there for many years and expected any new employee to learn it all in a day. I finally ended up with heat stroke and had to leave. I felt sorry for my replacement. – less
great working environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: lots of time off
Cons: time off with out paid
Working at first student is a great experience.. the absolute great thing is that I get all the school holiday off to spend with my son. I know for a fact that I can always have a job with this company and not worried about losing my job due to a shortage of work...
it is shorts hurs but very busy because you stay for 1/2 or 1hr and you gone again
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), 140-4th Ave East, Reginga, SKDecember 27, 2013
Most of these jobs are tedious work ,specially sitting or standing up in one place for such along period of time but it is fun working together and talking to one another as a one team. It is also more enjoyable and eagerness when the time of getting off work is approaching.
It is a good place to be
School Bus Operator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
Pros: the vacations that the children get i also get them too.
Cons: no money to help pay rents and for food.
A typical day at work would be pre-trip inspection, and call dispatch.
I learned so many things like how to put the kids safety first and what to do when an emergency occurs.
Management is good because they ave everything under control.
The hardest part of the job is that I had to deal with lots of children screaming, and then doing pre-trips in winter – more... time.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you only worked for 4 hours a day. – less
FIRST STUDENT CANADA Review
Mechanic (Co-op) (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, great diesel mechanic placement, fun new tasks to learn
So this workplace was well. My supervisor was absolutely amazing. The workers were amazing. There would be times I'm told to do a task and I do it, and i break something or messed up, it made me scared that they would get mad when i told them.

It was always the opposite, they never cared if you made a mistake or messed up. They would always just say, – more... yea we'll fix that.

It was not a bad place for a co-op experience, but i definitely wouldnt do it again. – less
Lot's and lot's of cleaning and painting
Cleaner, painter and maintance (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONOctober 11, 2013
Pros: good money and hours
Cons: no cons.
Nothing to say really. Cleaned the buses until they were done then went on to painting them. After all that was done I would do maintance around the yard or fix the office up.
Great for stay at home moms
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 8, 2013
Pros: get to be there for your family.
Cons: don't make enough money to be there for your family.
It is a "part time" job that requires alot of increasing responsibility. Making part time money, no raises, no bonuses, no benefits, no pension, no future security.
People tend to get stuck working here even well after their little ones have grown and moved on because of the independence involved with being a school bus driver on the open road as opposed – more... to being cooped up in an office with a boss breathing down your neck. – less
Great work experience with the children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: schedule wasn't workable
how to deal with kids,parents,teachers and driving skills.
management was really good.
traffic
Enjoy the experience, but it's not volunteer work.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Paris, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: rewarding
Cons: not paid for all time expected to work.
I absolutely love driving the school bus, and the time spent with my children every day. I would continue doing it if I was compensated properly for my time worked.
So far so good
driver (Current Employee), VancouverAugust 11, 2013
Pros: hours for me are ok, older drivers do try to help, i find management has been pretty g.ood
Cons: some equipment is getting pretty old
Training was good, extreme shortage of drivers. Have been treated pretty good. Pay is ok for what I do. Doing charter for the summer and that is certainly eye opening. Most of the kids were well behaved. But I had to finally tell the little darlings that the bus would stop at the opportunity and would not move until they sat down and stayed seated Reported – more... this to the office, still have no heard the results.

There is a pecking order don't run afoul of it...

. – less
fun to work as a school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa West, ONJune 21, 2013
its is a very responsible job because it emphasis on safety a lot, i enjoy dealing with the kids they make it challenging every day.
work experience
Mechanic (Former Employee), StrathmoreMay 10, 2013
Cons: biased management
Past employee,i agree with one comment from another past employee,when they want rid of you they will trump up any reason,then you're gone.
Very bad management,they don't care!
i think i get this job and i enjoy alot with kids..
Attendant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 9, 2013
overall i want to say this is a great job and i enjoy alot donig this job...
Great training and experience
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Welland, ONMay 5, 2013
Pros: lots of free time if no other income is needed. great training
Cons: more hours would be nice
Very professional training. A very safety minded company. Good part time work.
Great company to work for
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa/OrleansApril 28, 2013
Pros: good solid comapny to work for
Cons: charters are seniority based so new drivers don't get the opportunity for extra charter work.
I start my day with a circle check of my bus and sweep it out. My first pickup is at 7:25. I do three schools in the morning finishing up at about 9:15. I do the same three schools in the afternoon with my first school pickup at 2:30 and finish taking the last kids home by 4:00 pm.
The kids can be unruly at times but each school is different. One of – more... my schools the kids are pretty much perfect.
I have found that the training is excellent with follow-up courses throughout the year. Bus problems are dealt with very quickly and kept in very good state of repair. The oldest buses are 2006 Freightliners up to brand new 2013.
Management is very fair and very easy to work with.
All in all this is a great job for anyone that is semi retired or in need of an extra income. The pay is very good however there are no benefits. Drivers are also unionized. – less

About FIRST STUDENT CANADA

First Student Canada, a subsidiary of the British company FirstGroup and a division of FirstGroup America, is a major contractor – Read more