First Group

First Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stop Gap when Oil Prices Dropped
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Aberdeen, SCTFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: very busy being on shifts
Cons: long hrs evening and earlies for 2 1/2 yrs
Vey challenging Job, most of the customers were excellent just the small minority of Nasties to contend with.

Basically a Bus Driver has Bus Loads of People to be responsible for all ages and Schedules to meet, you can't be too early.

The Bendy Buses are articulated buses approximately 18 metres (59 ft) in length, I really enjoyed the challenge of driving them, as when my Step Dad had a Farm I would gathyer in the Hay Bogey back up a Load a Hey and this is thought to be the most difficult back up, so the Bendies were a joy
stress full place and job.unsocial hours and grueling sceduals
Bus Driver PCV (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGFebruary 14, 2015
i cannot comment further.Bus driving is one of those things you either like it or you dont.i dont.you cannot think for yourself,
Suits certain people
Driver (Current Employee), First Midlands UKJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free travel for staff and partner/children.
Cons: erratic shift pattern difficult to adjust to, unable to plan days off, very long days alone, no sick pay without support to adjust to shift patterns, poor management
Long days without any regularity, most weeks a couple of days start around 6am and finish 6pm others in the same week start 9/10am finish 9/10pm. Latest finish I've had is 0050. You only get a rota 1 week in advance so no chance of planning anything. Some weeks it feels like I haven't seen my o/h in days.
I've found it to be quite a lonely job, out on the road about 3/4hours at a time and due to the tight running times you don't have time to talk to passengers (not that many want to chat).
Other road users appear to target you, cutting you up or pulling out in front of you. You can sit indicating to pull out from a stop for what feels like forever. Some routes you enjoy, some are monotonous, we do up to 9 trips on a 30 min route...
Management...hardly see them unless they want to complain. If they're short of drivers conduct is eased off, if they have plenty of drivers then it appears you get a warning if you sneeze in the wrong place. Nobody will tell you if you're doing ok.
Sick days aren't paid which puts pressure on you to return to work before you're better, which as a driver isn't the safest policy. If you're ill you need to let them know by 11am that you'll be in the next day which can be difficult to predict.
The other drivers tend to support each other much more than any of the supervisors or above.
good working place to work for
bus driver (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGDecember 18, 2014
keeping to bus times, driving safely , greeting my customers at each stop
hardest part of the job was keeping customers happy due to road works and rush hour traffic

company use to do day trips out to the zoo or to the beach where we could spend family time together.
Highly creative Graphic Designer
Free Lance Designer (Former Employee), Barcelona, SpainOctober 28, 2014
Extensive experience in fashion, art, marketing and print design in America and Europe. Multi tasking abilities, dynamic team player with well-developed written and verbal communication abilities in four languages. Passionate and inventive creator of innovative marketing strategies, products and campaigns. Excellent people skills, good customer service skills, works well under pressure and always eager to learn.
Shocking management structure
Bus operator (Former Employee), BerkshireSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: nice average working week.
Cons: structure, policies, local management.
The job is simple, drive passenger's from one place to another. First took over this depot from a local firm many years ago and allowed the management to remain, but brought in all the policies and procedures designed to treat you like you have no common sense. However the managers are so unprofessional and transparent its ridiculous. The worst thing that the Group done was to allow the management structure to continue its operation at this depot, its really poor and needs a good clear out to make it more like a team and sense of working together. The old disciplinary routine is ripe with a specific day of every week dedicated to disciplines, wgich there is only a shortage of when they are short of drivers, bizarre huh!
Met some great people to work with and once your out its fairly normal, but always cautious of who or what might be waiting for your return to the depot.
Im glad ive left and if I had to return to driving again, I won't be going for any vacancies there its sad to say, although its fair to say with the consistency of reviews that First overall are no leaders, just disciplinarians.
Big shame because its supposed to all be about the customer....not First.
Large scale passsenger transport
PCV Driver (Former Employee), scotlandSeptember 2, 2014
International company with little to no regard for employees or there families
Ok job working with disabled children on the bus.
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Severn, MDAugust 12, 2014
Working and helping keep disabled/challenged children safe while riding the school bus. The hardest part of this job is the hours, 5am starts, 5pm finish; there's a long break in between, but you have no opportunity to really plan your life around this job. The most enjoyable part about this job, is meeting and learning about the children who are disabled. They are so impressionable and loving.
I enjoy my job as a bus driver with Firstgroup
PCV (Bus) Driver (Current Employee), Huddersfield, ENGJune 18, 2014
Pros: relative job security
Cons: long days and long hours
I enjoy the responsibilities of excellent time management and the feeling that I am my own boss most of the time; in charge of my own workload, and doing a good days work. I also enjoy being part of a large organisation and the camaraderie that I share with my fellow workers, line managers and superiors. We gell very well together as a team providing a vital public transportation service. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some not so nice members of the public, but my customer service skills are excellent and so is my driving!
experience
Bus Driver (Former Employee), MusselburghJune 4, 2014
Pros: free travel
Cons: long driving hours
enjoyable experience with both customers and colleagues, 8 hours driving a bus to timetable, customer service skills, clear decisive management, good social club, keeping to time table hardest part, delivering a service
worst bus
:) (Current Employee), LarkfieldMarch 18, 2014
Pros: free travel
Cons: poor management and attitude
Poor management, stressful place to work no life get treated badly
bus driver bristol
bus driver (Former Employee), mst bristolFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: pay, pension, free travel.
Cons: no time off, impossible time schedules, stressfull.
If you need time of don't bother to ask because you never get it.
No management back up,they love to to issue warnings like its going out of fashion.
Pay and pension is good.
Ask yourself why a company has to recruit all year round and it basically speaks for itself.
Did meet some loverly drivers at MST bristol.
driving a bus
PSV Driver (Former Employee), Southampton, ENGJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: wages
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work starting 7am to 7pm.
Co-workers good working companions.
worst part of the job - sat in traffic.
pay day.
Great working place.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), IpswichOctober 25, 2013
It was the best company i have worked with.Everyone is treated equally and fairly at least where i worked,that was the Ipswich.
productive working environment
Temp (Former Employee), Bradford, ENGJuly 2, 2013
it is a very busy working environment.

there was always something to do in relation to work.
First are a good company to work for
Bus Driver (Former Employee), ENGJune 17, 2013
In the short time i was with First they were a good company to work for but i did not continue my career with them as i did not pass my bus license test with them
ORACLEHYPERIONESSBASE / PLANNING TEAM LEAD (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 14, 2013
I am leading a technical team of 4 people, where I acquired a thorough understanding of the business processes by studying business areas, which has impact on various data analysis and reporting needs. Planning environment consisted of six plan types distributed between three applications. The plan types were Capital, P&L, Balance Sheet, Payroll, Service Gross Profit, and Distribution Gross Profit.
Hyperion Planning and Essbase Developer
ORACLE HYPERION ESSBASE / PLANNING TEAM LEAD (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2013
I am leading a technical team of 4 people, where I acquired a thorough understanding of the business processes by studying business areas, which has impact on various data analysis and reporting needs. Worked with the business team and resolve issues on ambiguity. Also, worked with various departments in identifying and enhancing business processes and automate business processes where possible.
first group review
bus driver (Former Employee), barnstaple north devonJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: free bus pass
drive a bus on various routs i enjoed my 12 years working for this company.getting know the area and getting to know people
a really relaxing and fun place to work
bus driver (Former Employee), hayes middlesexJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: free travel on public transport
Cons: long hours and abuse from certain passengers
a typical day at the garage was going in signing on having a laugh with the managers and other drivers going out doing your job and then signing off at the end of the day. The most hardest part of the job is probably sitting in the daily traffic along some of the routes.