First Data

First Data Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly Environment
Sr Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioOctober 10, 2012
Pros: frequent potlocks
Cons: long hourss
i worked everyday with a lot of zeal and ethusiasm, i learn smthing new everyday at work, and because i have the ability and willingness to help my co-workers, it rubs off my managers.
The hardest part of the job for me is definitely the long hours because a lot is expected of me, and i always strive to do better everyday.
What i enjoy the most about my job is again th friendly environment, we're like a family, and everyone is always willing to help one another
Poor Communication
Insert Operator (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 27, 2015
Good Co-workers just bad communication on the job, I learned that communication is the key without that things won't work good
fun work enviroment with a potental for growth
customer service as first priority (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: easy
Cons: short breaks, high healthcare
answering phones and making calls to check on fraud on debit and credit cards. ive learned more computer skills and alot of customer service skills
Highly professional organization
Technical Implementation Analyst (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: professionalism of employees, good work facilities
Cons: benefits were cut, periodic layoffs
First Data is very client-focused and demands a high-standard of professionalism for all employees. In 2013, management adapted an employee-owned strategy, but it is not well-received by employees. The company reduced the number of personal vacation days and benefits. Employees now have "shares" of the profits, though vestiture depends on tenure and company profitability. Management at the VP level and below was excellent, I thought, and company invested heavily in training its management. In 2013 and 2014 the company downsized considerably in it's Omaha location.
Overall its good
Technology Lead (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDJanuary 25, 2015
Great learning curve to work with offshore development and business team at onsite. Working on requirements, design, development, testing, production implementation and production support.
A lot of transition
Not saying (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: heated and air conditioned buildings
Cons: too many poor managers that seem to always be rewarded for complacency.
OK place to work, if you don't mind change. There are some facets of management that still baffle me (as to why are some of these people still working here) and others that show lots of promise. Hard to get recognized by your management at times due to reorg after reorg.
Productive workplace. Very in tune with employees and morale was priority
Call Center Management (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 22, 2015
Excellent support from upper Management. Very friendly co-workers that were always willing to assist.
This company is the best company that I have every worked for.
No Comment
Team Manager (Former Employee), Basildon, EssexJanuary 22, 2015
No Comment

I have no wish at this time to comment on the conduct of my current employer. I have supported business needs and added structure to evening operations and I am satisfied that I have created a stronger engine than the one that was presented to me 2 years ago.
Great opportunity to see how the bank system works, in Fraud detection
Fraud Analyst II (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: vacation, health, and incentives...excellent!
Cons: it was still more political than what it should have been.
An average day at work is the recognition of knowing that you are there to protect. Then environment is very helpful. I have learned the banking process, and the value of fraud detection and protection with accounts of members. Management was fair, with less politics. My coworkers were very likeable, comfortable, and mostly disciplined. The hardest part of the job was the stress of detecting fraud activity to holiday spending, to a wild spender, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variations of money recognition of the way First Data stressed when dealing with customers. This gave me the importance money itself, and its management.
Change is hard
Director IT (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2015
First Data was on the brink of self destructing when the new CEO took over.

It's really 50/50. The good news is that the company is turning around but the bad news is that it's at the expense of good people. They've completely gutted the leadership team and replaced them (not so bad) but they've also been performing surgery with a chainsaw. That means good, critical, people have been laid off.

Maybe that's the sacrifice you make and maybe that's what was needed but if you are in First Data you're pretty much SOL.

If you are joining it's possible you'll be appreciated.

It's a hard job with a lot of hours so your work life balance will be really what your management can make of it.

The compensation is nothing special. Pretty average to low average.

There is NO advancement within the organization. They've got a policy that only a few percent can be promoted within. The rest must come from outside the organization.

Your immediate management is probably fine but one step out or two and you are looking at a pretty brutal culture.

Culture. There is none. Everyone is new or a contractor. You won't go to lunch with your team. You won't have drinks after work. You won't get to enjoy conversation by the coffee pot. Nothing. The place is a graveyard. In the years I was there I made very few acquaintances and only one or two friends...maybe.

Get in, do a good job and if you are lucky you might stay.
Potentially an awesome place to work, but upper management tends to get in the way
APPLICATION DEVELOPER (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great direct managers, experienced co workers
Cons: detached upper management
I can imagine a First Data that rivals Google as an awesome place to work. It has the potential to inspire innovation, and challenge its talented employees. The managers I’ve encountered have great dedication, integrity, open mindedness, and are great leaders. The people I worked with were intelligent, experienced, and hard working.

In my opinion, the root of the drawbacks of First Data stem from its pyramid hierarchy, and its debt. FD’s new CEO Frank Bisignano, is more concerned with getting the company ready for an IPO for KKR to make commissions, than making a great company that will flourish for decades to come. Actions like firing everyone who works from home, cutting back personal days, setting up smaller cubes to make more space, and hiring a lot more high paying top executive jobs contribute to the top heavy, high debt, pyramid organizational structure at First Data. The result tends to be more people concerned about keeping their jobs and flying under the radar, rather than taking innovative risks.
Nevertheless, First Data still does have a chance, in my opinion, to become a great and successful employer if it can shed its dead weight at the top, flatten its organizational hierarchy, and stop getting rid of its hard workers and innovators in the name of IPO commissions.
:Lunch room with TV you may which whatever you wanted
Data Entry (Former Employee), New Castle, DEJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: casual thursday . supervisor provided free lunch of our choice
Cons: short lunch hour
Fine company to work for. Worked 11:00 PM to 7:30 am
Me being single the night work didn't cause any problems..
Supervisor was very fair.. Job was not hard basic knowledge of word
benefits comparable with other companies
Don't work here
statement machine operator (Current Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: it is a job
Cons: everything
Don't work here they send you home and it you have time to use as in personal days or sick days then at the end of the year they use it against you to not give you a rise the best way to get one is don't ever be sick don't miss a day what so ever. They don't give rise's
HORRIBLE!!!!!
TAX SPECIALIST (Former Employee), GREENWOOD VILLAGE, COLORADOJanuary 16, 2015
Cons: too many to list
THIS PLACE IS ABSOLUTELY ENERGY DRAINING, FILLED WITH TOO MANY NEGATIVE PEOPLE. MANAGEMENT DOES NOT KEEP THEIR PROMISES IN ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES AND PEERS ARE SO QUICK TO PLACE BLAME OF MISTAKES ON OTHER PEERS. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST ENVIRONMENT I'VE EVER WORKED IN!
Great Company
Small Business Team Leader, Assistant Trainer (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2015
-Served as primary day-to-day account manager for Yum!, Sodexo, Arby’s, and Waffle House clients with First Data Merchant Services. Also managed non-franchised small business acounts.
-Provided daily consultation as industry expert and trusted advisor for retail clients on payment-card industry development, best practices, compliance, charge backs, cost reduction, dispute resolution, and product developments.
-Developed intentional and strategic client relationships to ensure retention and identify revenue opportunities.
-Identified and resolved process gaps in call center processing procedures, charge backs, financial troubleshooting, and associate training.
-Developed, wrote, and trained teams on new Standard Operating Procedures for new First Data Merchant Services credit card terminals and systems to resolve gaps in customer service, technical troubleshooting, and escalation issues related to small business and corporate banking.
-Created new databases for First Data Merchant Services according to processing guidelines to transition clients onto new processing platforms.
-Retained a significant non-profit client with First Data Merchant Services by researching and recovering 50% of their lost credit card funds for a fiscal year. Personally managed the client's processing needs to ensure complete financial success for 2012.
-Responded to hundreds of escalated merchant issues regarding billing, charge backs, contract terms, negative service experiences, and technical incidents.
-Supported other Call Center staff by acting as escalation point for frustrated merchants, customer service research, or complicated issues.
Maybe a different dept
Senior Cash Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Melville, New YorkJanuary 14, 2015
Not my favorite place to work.... benefits have been cut down... workload has doubled... promises just keep coming
See Previous Review
Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 14, 2015
See Previous Review. Not an employee oriented company. Treated employees poorly.
Productive work environment
Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Hagerstown MdJanuary 13, 2015
As a Transaction Fraud Representative I reviewed disputed transactions per Visa/MasterCard guidelines to determine if the transactions would be charged back to the merchant a a fraudulent change.

As a Shell Relationship Manager I was on a privately assisted Shell Merchants with their gift card order, disputed transaction, merchandise orders, and large gift card activation request.

As a Relationship Manager I oversaw a team of 12 in charge of all merchant account applications for gift cards. I handled bulk activation, gift card orders, procedures, training, and team building. I oversaw and was required to work personally in the setup of large merchant account. I took all supervisor calls along with assigning rolls to other team members.
A good easy enviroment to work in.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: management, area
Cons: health plan, moral
A good job overall. Has good benefits, great coworkers and a lot of room to grow. Training is very simple and good. It can be explained a little too much but very good. Work itself can be very repetitive.
Great team, just like family
OBIEE Admin/Sr. OBIEE Developer (Former Employee), New YorkJanuary 9, 2015
This was an great place to work and people were so kind just like very friendly, and calm to understand all member of the team. Coworker would help and keep you on track with all the project.

1 2 3 4 5

About First Data

Whether you are just beginning your career or have many years of experience, First Data can provide you with a wealth of exciting – Read more

First Data Photos