First Choice Haircutters Employee Reviews

Overall Good place to Work
Owner/Manager and hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON3 September 2017
First Choice Haircutters is a national franchise company with over 500 locations throughout Canada and US. It is a good place to start Your career or if you need flexible hours.
Great place to start
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador18 August 2017
Great place to start off. Not much room for growth but great training options and very good start to get in to the industry. Taught me a lot of what I needed to know for the industry
Apprentice
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON26 July 2017
I was an apprentice. I didn't enjoy the responsibility if the client didn't like their hair. I felt bad so this was too stressful for me. The owner was nice and gave me a good opportunity. they taught when needed and allowed you to make some of your own decisions.
Pros
An income
Cons
Fast paced
This job was great.
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2017
This was by far my most favourite place to work. The staff was great, the clients were great and I felt like we were more of a family then coworkers. I wish it would have paid a little more otherwise I would never have left.
Pros
Great work environment
Was very fun to work at First Choice
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 June 2017
First Choice was fun fun environment great stuff great management busy location great customers amazing product lines ongoing training amazing work hours would love to go back very family oriented
Pros
Great staff and great customers
Cons
Long hours and lots was expected of you for little wage
Management sucked
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON4 June 2017
Great location. Some staff were great to work with except the mamager. She was very hard to get along with and wasn't management material. Just because you worked there longer then others DOESN'T make you managment !#
They think you should be a robot .
Manager/Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Cobourg,on4 June 2017
I worked for this company for 24yrs. They were a great company but in the last year I was there they changed for the worst. They think you should work non stop not to even go to the washroom if there was customers in the store. Sometimes you need 5 mins if you haven't stopped in 2-3 hrs. The supervisor we just didn't get along. The CEO is a b. The owners never even called me too see why I left when they knew I loved my job.. if you love hairdressing don't stay there long it well take the fun out of it
Pros
Hourly wage
Cons
No life
Good place to work at
Hairstylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2017
Typical day was come in open, make sure station was set up, and be ready for clients to come in. cleaning and making sure towels were ready was very important part of my day. I learned to be patient, and more communication skills. Management was good overall can work on their communication skills a little more. Hardest part of my job is I don't think I got a lot of help from my peers but I managed. I loved coming to work and cutting, coloring hair and interacting with people every day. I loved working and being a hair stylist.
bad-good
Co-operative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 February 2017
they treated there guests with respect, well cleaned, and great attitude but didn't let co-op students do very much work, just lots of folding and sweeping
not flexible
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 February 2017
it was hard for them to accommodate my availability. some days would be really busy and other days would be really slow. working here was okay. there were great people. the management was horrible.
It was a good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  canada ontario16 February 2017
You do work long hours and the pay is ok but you do make tips and that is a bonus. The give you your lunches and breaks, which is a bonus because usually being a hairstylists sometimes you don't get t eat
Pros
flexiable
Cons
work on weekends
The unrecognized superheroines
Stylist Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON8 February 2017
My first experience working for this type of salon but I figured I should experience EVERY type of salon. This is an incredibly fast paced environment to work in and IMO these ladies are underpaid. Serving anywhere from 20 to 35 clients each per day (at least at my location)..the stylists are rockstars. All of them.
Pros
Cash tips $$
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, finger cuts from working so quickly
great envrioment with room the grow
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON28 December 2016
typical day on the job is opening up the salon witch is very easy to learn clients usually wait for you to open up and can work by yourself until mid day witch means more tips for you. Clients are amazing and friendly can make a clientele very easily. Co-workers are all team players and there to help you learn and grow. hours change weekly as long as you are a hard worker you can count on 30 hours atleast. Your tips and commission for retail selling will make yup the extra hours aswell.
Pros
free classes to help you grow as a stylist
Cons
working different hours every week and working weekends
Fine to start for your license
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 December 2016
this is a typical company that says they care about their staff but they reallly dont. its great if your apprenticing since its a face pass environment, but i wouldnt recommend staying longer then a year
It ok... not great
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 November 2016
Good for first time hairdressers ,
not good for one's who want to advance in the hair industry or for one's with a family
Will only advance so far then stop.
Pros
Good job security, Good tips
Cons
Long hours going to different locations cant build a clientel
Could be so much better
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
I attempted to right a proper review but it would not let me continue. Seriously I wish they would of accepted my first review. I did not swear or say anything untruthful. No money is invested in the shop or in the staff that works hard.
Pros
Able to have requests book apt ect
Cons
Not a salon hiring in my area.
great work experience
HAIRSTYLIST (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 September 2016
First Choice is a great learning experience, the clientele and management are great and the co-workers make it a fun place to work. It's very busy so first choice is a great place to build a clientele.
Pros
the tips
Cons
long hours and the pay isnt good
lovely team
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC27 August 2016
VERY busy... but you get to meet some wonderful people. I loved the group of girls I worked with. Lots of laughs and very community minded.
Good place for an apprentice stylist to start
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 June 2016
I learned quite a bit during my time here. The Regis Corporation offered a lot of incentives to stylists, constantly had education classes , and offered benefits to stylists. I got along with the majority of my coworkers but there was one woman, the assistant manager, who constantly power tripped. The hardest part of this job was standing on my feet all day.
the learning
coop student (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 May 2016
Working hear help me finished my option to go to hair styling school. the people were so fun and just beautiful personality's. I made friends. I would get all the stations ready and sweep the floors and then get to the front desk before the people showed up so i could check them in and the answer every call that would come in.
Pros
the learning
Cons
it ended