First Choice Haircutters Employee Reviews

It ok... not great
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 November 2016
Good for first time hairdressers ,
not good for one's who want to advance in the hair industry or for one's with a family
Will only advance so far then stop.
Pros
Good job security, Good tips
Cons
Long hours going to different locations cant build a clientel
great work experience
HAIRSTYLIST (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 September 2016
First Choice is a great learning experience, the clientele and management are great and the co-workers make it a fun place to work. It's very busy so first choice is a great place to build a clientele.
Pros
the tips
Cons
long hours and the pay isnt good
It was a good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  canada ontario16 February 2017
You do work long hours and the pay is ok but you do make tips and that is a bonus. The give you your lunches and breaks, which is a bonus because usually being a hairstylists sometimes you don't get t eat
Pros
flexiable
Cons
work on weekends
great envrioment with room the grow
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON28 December 2016
typical day on the job is opening up the salon witch is very easy to learn clients usually wait for you to open up and can work by yourself until mid day witch means more tips for you. Clients are amazing and friendly can make a clientele very easily. Co-workers are all team players and there to help you learn and grow. hours change weekly as long as you are a hard worker you can count on 30 hours atleast. Your tips and commission for retail selling will make yup the extra hours aswell.
Pros
free classes to help you grow as a stylist
Cons
working different hours every week and working weekends
The unrecognized superheroines
Stylist Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON8 February 2017
My first experience working for this type of salon but I figured I should experience EVERY type of salon. This is an incredibly fast paced environment to work in and IMO these ladies are underpaid. Serving anywhere from 20 to 35 clients each per day (at least at my location)..the stylists are rockstars. All of them.
Pros
Cash tips $$
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, finger cuts from working so quickly
Good place for an apprentice stylist to start
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 June 2016
I learned quite a bit during my time here. The Regis Corporation offered a lot of incentives to stylists, constantly had education classes , and offered benefits to stylists. I got along with the majority of my coworkers but there was one woman, the assistant manager, who constantly power tripped. The hardest part of this job was standing on my feet all day.
fun volunteering as a receptionist
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
A typical day wasn't so busy but when the weekend approached it got busier. I learned how to handle those situations. I also learned how to write receipts and manage cash and book appointments. The staff was very kind and took the time to show me everything. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the stylists schedules aswell as the clients. The most enjoyable part for me was answering phones.
Pros
nice staff
Could be so much better
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2016
I attempted to right a proper review but it would not let me continue. Seriously I wish they would of accepted my first review. I did not swear or say anything untruthful. No money is invested in the shop or in the staff that works hard.
Pros
Able to have requests book apt ect
Cons
Not a salon hiring in my area.
Fine to start for your license
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 December 2016
this is a typical company that says they care about their staff but they reallly dont. its great if your apprenticing since its a face pass environment, but i wouldnt recommend staying longer then a year
lovely team
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC27 August 2016
VERY busy... but you get to meet some wonderful people. I loved the group of girls I worked with. Lots of laughs and very community minded.
Awesome company to work for with terrific ongoing training
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 November 2014
The salon was very busy which was good for the stylists as usually you would be cutting at an average which kept you above minimum wage. The managers at the salon were very welcoming and helped to provide all stylists with great tools and training to become better in both styling hair and self management.
The hardest part of the job would sometimes be the long stretches of days worked until you got a day off, but still, in the end we all did what we had to do to help keep the shop running smoothly and efficiently.
I really do not have anything bad to say about the company as I really enjoyed my time there. The reason I left is because I wanted a career change.
Pros
Ongoing training
Cons
sometimes having too much staff to accomodate hours needed by each stylist
the learning
coop student (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 May 2016
Working hear help me finished my option to go to hair styling school. the people were so fun and just beautiful personality's. I made friends. I would get all the stations ready and sweep the floors and then get to the front desk before the people showed up so i could check them in and the answer every call that would come in.
Pros
the learning
Cons
it ended
Overwhleming
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB Southcommon22 April 2016
For being a receptionist I felt I was being asked to do to many other tasks unrelated to my job. At the time I learned I wasn't ready to handle a job for real. I really enjoyed getting to know different people. Hardest part was being the youngest at the store and I enjoyed talking to the customers a lot. It was enjoyable that I got to sit in a nice comfy chair instead of standing all day.
Pros
Free hair cuts and dye job
Cons
Expected to do unrelated tasks to your job title
Does not treat their employees well.
Hairstylist/Health and Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON18 October 2012
Our district manager is constantly bullying us and harassing us. She makes us feel useless. We have contacted head office several times about this issue and nothing has been done about it. They don't offer any raises when you ask for one, they simply tell you that you don't qualify with no explanation. We only get one half hour unpaid lunch and no 15 minute breaks which violates the labour laws. Emergency days are really frowned upon, even when it is a life and death matter, they don't care.
Cons
mandatory 9 hour saturday's.
Happy inviroment
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 April 2016
Busy, different every day. New products and new way to do certain procedures. My managers where the best willing to work with coworkers if needed. Loving family environment lots of laughs. When one of my long term customers would passed away, it felt like i lost a part of my family. Making adults and children feel great about them selves and satisfied.
Decent Start up place
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 April 2012
Typical days are very busy.
It's a great place to start a hairstyling career
The management is decent but promotions are based on senority
Hardest part is keeping everyone happy with short wait times
Making commission and tips
Pros
50% off products at beginning of month
Cons
long hours on your feet all day
not enough pay for the amount of work being done
hairstylist (Former Employee) –  alliston ontario15 October 2015
First choice haircutters is a wonderful company to work at, if you’re just starting in the industry, or slowing down your life and just need a steady mediocre income. Its good because you have benefits available to apply for as well as vacation pay and time off. I noticed though over the 3 years I was there, the decline of percentages of clients, as well as benefits and incentives from the company(upgrading courses).
Pros
benefits, set income
Cons
more work than paid for, coupons make it impossible to ever make more.
People you work with become your family.
Manager/Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 March 2014
Everyday held something different, but the mainline job was the same. Over my 25 years in the trade I have learned a great many things. Management for me was a great opportunity to continue meeting my own personal and professional goals. As being part of a team your co-workers are a very important part of the job because of spending so much time them it is important to have a good fit. The hardest part of the job was continuing changes made at headoffice level{new people changing the direction of the company} that was beneficial to the company, but not necessarily to the clients and staff. The part of my job I Enjoyed the most would always have to be my clients. They become a part of your life and you look forward to seeing them on each visit. As well as having the opportunity to meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Benefit package provided for us was great.
Cons
money, and being unappreciated.
Great clientele and coworkers
Jr. Stylist (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON17 March 2016
This job gave me a lot of strengths. I became very talkative which is a plus. It helped me become very organized. This job is a great place for a young stylist coming out of school because it gives you a lot of practice.
I loved working as a Stylist. Interacted with many nice people.
Hairstylist/manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 August 2014
Went to work at different hours every day. Opened the Salon and got ready for the customers to come in for their Services, wether it be a shampoo/cut, perm, color or highlites. Not every day was the same.
I've learned to do schedules for my staff hours of work, bank deposits and ensuring my staff gave their best Customer Service to each and every customer that came into the Salon.
My staff were a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was trying to fill a shift if someone called in sick.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a Customer go out of the Salon happy with the service they received.
Pros
Met a lot of nice people
Cons
Long hours and not enough pay.

First Choice Haircutters Reviews by Location