First Canadian Title

First Canadian Title Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Just a regular boring starter job, working 8:30-5 in a grey cubicle.
Junior Title Officer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: stable-- they do offer employee incentives. I get benefits and a job right out of college.
Cons: overworked, underpaid, not at all satisfied with what I do
I've only worked here for 6 months, but I hear all the other employees complaining about how they are treated, how hard they are worked, how they are not given enough help and how they are not paid enough. (who is paid enough though?)

FCT has a lot of jobs to give out, but doesn't have much of a salary to offer those workers. The work is very stressful and includes a lot of overtime. It's hard not to bring it home with you. I have already seen one woman have a nervous breakdown because her workload was so intense.
Not a Great Place to Work, do not value employees
Title Searcher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: made some good friends there
Cons: to many to mention
Worked for this company for over 10 years; company has a high-rate of turn-over of employees. Favoritism from management for their family and friends,with no relevant education required--who you know counts! Unqualified management, just because you worked at bank or a law office does not make you management material. Not everyone has the opportunity with this company for growth both personal and professional.

FCT seems have driven many employees to sickness and depression. All the negative comments I have read about FCT,, First Canadian title, or whatever name they are going by, are true! They did the same to me as with many others apparently, they called me for a meeting and let me go, no reason given. They can hire the students that were trained by the qualified people to do the work cheaper!! They treated people horribly! FCT could care less Who's life they ruin. I agree with Finance's review " The environment at FCT is toxic. Due to the overwhelming negativity of leadership and employees and unreasonable work volume requirements, this company can take a person with a naturally positive disposition and turn him/her into an unhappy and over-stressed insomniac. The leadership team is so concerned with revenue that they have completely forgotten about the value positive customer experience. The attitude is - get it done fast and cheap, who cares about the building a solid product. The actions of decision-makers do not even closing align with the words. On countless occasions, promises were made to address issues and concerns, and then after that initial conversation – more... absolutely nothing was done" Poor management, Negative environment, poor wages.

I also agree with no security's review " DO NOT sign on to work with FCT. Your information is not safe. Employees can have their personal cell phones at their desk, with Bankruptcy creditor's packages open in front of them. No cameras monitor what goes in or leaves. Paper can be taken out of the secured area with no effort to hide it"

it is true that every employee had to produce two Kaizens (an idea to improve the company by saving or making money for FCT) minimum per year. You make them thousands and you get a nice unhealthy treat while you are chained to a desks for hours at time. I would not recommend this place to do business or work for. If you liked to be overworked, underpaid and unappreciated this is the place for you! – less
Large company, many employees
Title Searcher/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 5, 2015
Pros: yearly bbq with the familys of all the co workers
Cons: to far to drive
Worked with the banks to search titles on homes for a second mortgage . Entered all the clients information in data base. Searched for liens or debts that customers may have had against them.
I learned several things on mortgages and customer service.
the management was wonderfull at First Canadian Title and enjoyable to work with.
I enjoyed working with my co workers it was a great team together, I still have contact with several of them.
the hardest part of the job was when there were several people with the same name who was applying for the second loan and I had to be sure and search very had to be accurate with who was the correct person.
the most enjoyable part of this job was working with people at the banks . it was very enjoyable when I did not find any liens ect on the person applying for the loan and knew they would have a happy day when the loan was approved. I enjoyed my team as everyone was very friendly and helpful to one another.
office setting
Personnel Property Service Act Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2015
I was in charge of a mini department. I re-wrote legal descriptions of properties for financing. I used 2 monitors and linked up with another screen from our Halifax Office.
productive place to work
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 22, 2014
Pros: excellent customer service
Cons: long hours
Was very structured and productive. Made you feel comfortable in your enviroment
Finance
Finance (Former Employee), LondonAugust 9, 2014
In the beginning, I would have eagerly said that this company was fantastic, healthy, and full of opportunity. Years later, after change of ownership and leadership, I can't even see a glimmer of the great organization it once was. The environment at FCT is toxic. Due to the overwhelming negativity of leadership and employees and unreasonable work volume requirements, this company can take a person with a naturally positive disposition and turn him/her into an unhappy and over-stressed insomniac. The leadership team is so concerned with revenue that they have completely forgotten about the value positive customer experience. The attitude is - get it done fast and cheap, who cares about the building a solid product. The actions of decision-makers do not even closing align with the words. On countless occasions, promises were made to address issues and concerns, and then after that initial conversation absolutely nothing was done.

A typical day starts with you knowing that your day is going to be awful. Throughout the day you can anticipate battling fires, witnessing finger-pointing, seeing people break-down for one of many reasons, among many other colourful things. Employee turnover is higher than normal, which comes as no surprise.

Since I have moved on, I have learned that what is happening at FCT is not normal. The leadership tries to convince you that how they do things is normal, but trust me, it's not. For as appalling as it all was, I was lucky to have met a select few that are truly great people.

I hope that things will change for FCT, but if the people driving and navigating the figurative school bus are left to their own devices, I sincerely believe that the future is bleak.
Title Officer (Current Employee), moncton, nbJuly 30, 2014
A Monday to Friday job. During the summer months lot of overtime. Lots of responsibility but interesting work.
It's all about who you know
Account Manager (Former Employee), oakvilleJuly 16, 2014
The only way in this company to move up is by who you know. You are expected to do the job of 3, but only get paid for one. Glad I was able to get out while I could.
Fun People - No security
Insolvency Administrator (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 6, 2014
Pros: some free lunches
Cons: no job security
First Canadian Title pushes to obtain Best Employers to work for - but they keep falling short.
Perhaps it is due to ZERO job security. I watched 4 people get called into the meeting room, who had been with the company for years, who were good and hard workers, get told to pack up their desks and be gone by lunch. When asked, why? The answer was, "Business Decisions."
Since then, (less than 6 months), I have watched 12 employees get the same sentence. Temporary employees, permanent employees ....it doesn't matter. One day you have a job, the next you don't.

But yet, they keep temporary employees working there, one who takes more than 2 hours of 'breaks' in a day. And they fire the people with highest numbers on the team.

DO NOT sign on to work with FCT. Your information is not safe. Employees can have their personal cell phones at their desk, with Bankruptcy creditor's packages open in front of them. No cameras monitor what goes in or leaves. Paper can be taken out of the secured area with no effort to hide it.
Poor leadership and Management
Finance Department (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 25, 2014
-negative environment
-unethical managers
-do not support internal employee development
-high turnover
-no work life balance
-salary is below average
Great Place to Work
Account Manager (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: cafeteria onsite
FCT has a great work/life balance that allows you to succeed at your job, but still maintain a family.
There are definately some areas that need improving regarding how to advance within the company.
Interesting
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 21, 2014
My position at First Canadian Title consisted of a lot of data entry. As a law summer student I worked in the legal department where a learned a number of laws that I was unaware of when it came to title insurance. Overall my management was fun and the most enjoyable part of my day was going to work as the department I worked for made our daily task easy.
nice
PRÉPOSÉE AU SERVICE À LA CLIENTÈLE (Former Employee), Moncton NBNovember 6, 2013
research deed for the customer, co worker was very nice and we always help each others when needed
One hand does one thing, the other hand does another
Document Preparation Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2013
Pros: some of the people were nice
Cons: most things
I worked in a mostly part-time job at FCT for 5 years. In that time, I became the expert in my position simply because nobody had ever worked in that job as long as I had. However, I was rarely trusted to make a decision on my own, if ever I was, despite my experience and my excessive education. I watched the same mistakes being made by successive bosses simply because management was always convinced they had to know more than us. But that wasn't the aggravating thing really. The most frustrating thing about working at FCT was that there was a lot of lip-service to various business culture improvement strategies, most of which were innovative in about 1988. But the actions of management - both senior and middle - suggested that they only wanted to talk about change. The best example I can think of at this remove is that management wanted us to innovate from the ground up - vaguely following the Kaizen approach - and we were told that we should be responsible for this innovation. How were we to be innovative? Well, there was a Kaizen quota. I kid you not. The idea was that every employee had to produce two Kaizens minimum per year. Nobody seemed to think that the idea of putting a quota on something does not yet exist was a little out there. And related to that, there was a management veto on such ideas. The former practice resulted in ticky-tack innovations such as moving office furniture around to improve "efficiency" and the latter resulted in most actual innovations getting vetoed. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
It was a fun place to acquire experience in various departments
Law Clerk (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJune 6, 2013
It was a nice place to work and the people were nice. However, the management and company was disorganized.
Fast paced, fun, growth opportunities, professional
Current Employee (Current Employee), OakvilleApril 11, 2013
Pros: on site gym, cafeteria, good benefits, pay for performance, employee engagment team, open door policy
Cons: can't think of any
FCT has a great culture and treats employees extremely well. In this environment everyone has the opportunity for growth both personal and professional.
bonuses, incentives, treats, carry over all what happend from DMSL
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2013
Pros: bonuses, incentives, treats (carry over from dmsl)
Cons: end 2 years contract
carry over the work from DMSL
Very busy every day, deal with lots of paper works especially alone with the registration department.
I learned a lot , like electronic registration, manual registration etc.
Management is excellent we're like a family, co workers i love it we're just one close family. the hardest part of my job is when the documents was not register at the right time.
The most enjoyable pat of the job is no mater what happen we're like family we deal all the mistake together. and its compensated what we have done. lots of treats from the company.
Good Company to Work for
Coordinator (Current Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 6, 2012
Pros: free gym
Company values its employees and continues to strive towards employee satisfaction
Fast Paced work environment
Documentation Clerk/CSR (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 25, 2012
Open electronic mail and faxes, answer incoming calls, direct faxes to right department, open mail and upload into system, answer and assist clients with legal information needed to obtain employment objective. Provide excellent personal customer service, contact clients requesting additional information to close files.
I learned more about the legal duties as a documentation clerk and worked closely with specialist obtaining knowledge for the employer.
Professional and supportive work atmosphere
Title Officer (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 7, 2012
Pros: very supportive, relaxed job atmospgere
Cons: i found the initial training a little unorganized
I enjoyed working at FCT due mainly to a supportive work atmosphere both from managament and co-workers. Thier benefit program was very fair and there were social activities outside the work place.