First Canadian Title

First Canadian Title Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive place to work
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 22, 2014
Pros: excellent customer service
Cons: long hours
Was very structured and productive. Made you feel comfortable in your enviroment
Finance
Finance (Former Employee), LondonAugust 9, 2014
In the beginning, I would have eagerly said that this company was fantastic, healthy, and full of opportunity. Years later, after change of ownership and leadership, I can't even see a glimmer of the great organization it once was. The environment at FCT is toxic. Due to the overwhelming negativity of leadership and employees and unreasonable work volume – more... requirements, this company can take a person with a naturally positive disposition and turn him/her into an unhappy and over-stressed insomniac. The leadership team is so concerned with revenue that they have completely forgotten about the value positive customer experience. The attitude is - get it done fast and cheap, who cares about the building a solid product. The actions of decision-makers do not even closing align with the words. On countless occasions, promises were made to address issues and concerns, and then after that initial conversation absolutely nothing was done.

A typical day starts with you knowing that your day is going to be awful. Throughout the day you can anticipate battling fires, witnessing finger-pointing, seeing people break-down for one of many reasons, among many other colourful things. Employee turnover is higher than normal, which comes as no surprise.

Since I have moved on, I have learned that what is happening at FCT is not normal. The leadership tries to convince you that how they do things is normal, but trust me, it's not. For as appalling as it all was, I was lucky to have met a select few that are truly great people.

I hope that things will change for FCT, but if the people driving and navigating the figurative school bus are left to their own devices, I sincerely believe that the future is bleak. – less
Title Officer (Current Employee), moncton, nbJuly 30, 2014
A Monday to Friday job. During the summer months lot of overtime. Lots of responsibility but interesting work.
It's all about who you know
Account Manager (Former Employee), oakvilleJuly 16, 2014
The only way in this company to move up is by who you know. You are expected to do the job of 3, but only get paid for one. Glad I was able to get out while I could.
Fun People - No security
Insolvency Administrator (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 6, 2014
Pros: some free lunches
Cons: no job security
First Canadian Title pushes to obtain Best Employers to work for - but they keep falling short.
Perhaps it is due to ZERO job security. I watched 4 people get called into the meeting room, who had been with the company for years, who were good and hard workers, get told to pack up their desks and be gone by lunch. When asked, why? The answer was, "Business – more... Decisions."
Since then, (less than 6 months), I have watched 12 employees get the same sentence. Temporary employees, permanent employees ....it doesn't matter. One day you have a job, the next you don't.

But yet, they keep temporary employees working there, one who takes more than 2 hours of 'breaks' in a day. And they fire the people with highest numbers on the team.

DO NOT sign on to work with FCT. Your information is not safe. Employees can have their personal cell phones at their desk, with Bankruptcy creditor's packages open in front of them. No cameras monitor what goes in or leaves. Paper can be taken out of the secured area with no effort to hide it. – less
Poor leadership and Management
Finance Department (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 25, 2014
-negative environment
-unethical managers
-do not support internal employee development
-high turnover
-no work life balance
-salary is below average
Interesting
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 21, 2014
My position at First Canadian Title consisted of a lot of data entry. As a law summer student I worked in the legal department where a learned a number of laws that I was unaware of when it came to title insurance. Overall my management was fun and the most enjoyable part of my day was going to work as the department I worked for made our daily task – more... easy. – less
nice
PRÉPOSÉE AU SERVICE À LA CLIENTÈLE (Former Employee), Moncton NBNovember 6, 2013
research deed for the customer, co worker was very nice and we always help each others when needed
One hand does one thing, the other hand does another
Document Preparation Clerk (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2013
Pros: some of the people were nice
Cons: most things
I worked in a mostly part-time job at FCT for 5 years. In that time, I became the expert in my position simply because nobody had ever worked in that job as long as I had. However, I was rarely trusted to make a decision on my own, if ever I was, despite my experience and my excessive education. I watched the same mistakes being made by successive bosses – more... simply because management was always convinced they had to know more than us. But that wasn't the aggravating thing really. The most frustrating thing about working at FCT was that there was a lot of lip-service to various business culture improvement strategies, most of which were innovative in about 1988. But the actions of management - both senior and middle - suggested that they only wanted to talk about change. The best example I can think of at this remove is that management wanted us to innovate from the ground up - vaguely following the Kaizen approach - and we were told that we should be responsible for this innovation. How were we to be innovative? Well, there was a Kaizen quota. I kid you not. The idea was that every employee had to produce two Kaizens minimum per year. Nobody seemed to think that the idea of putting a quota on something does not yet exist was a little out there. And related to that, there was a management veto on such ideas. The former practice resulted in ticky-tack innovations such as moving office furniture around to improve "efficiency" and the latter resulted in most actual innovations getting vetoed. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. – less
It was a fun place to acquire experience in various departments
Law Clerk (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJune 6, 2013
It was a nice place to work and the people were nice. However, the management and company was disorganized.
the hardest part of the job
Title Officer Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 13, 2013
Pros: 1hour lunch time to relax and eat your lunch slowley
Cons: yes long hours and trying to finish your paper before the time frame
The hardest part was trying to get things done in a 8 hour work day and getting the slack of the job your trying to do the best in
Fast paced, fun, growth opportunities, professional
Current Employee (Current Employee), OakvilleApril 11, 2013
Pros: on site gym, cafeteria, good benefits, pay for performance, employee engagment team, open door policy
Cons: can't think of any
FCT has a great culture and treats employees extremely well. In this environment everyone has the opportunity for growth both personal and professional.
bonuses, incentives, treats, carry over all what happend from DMSL
Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2013
Pros: bonuses, incentives, treats (carry over from dmsl)
Cons: end 2 years contract
carry over the work from DMSL
Very busy every day, deal with lots of paper works especially alone with the registration department.
I learned a lot , like electronic registration, manual registration etc.
Management is excellent we're like a family, co workers i love it we're just one close family. the hardest part of my job is when the documents was – more... not register at the right time.
The most enjoyable pat of the job is no mater what happen we're like family we deal all the mistake together. and its compensated what we have done. lots of treats from the company. – less
Good Company to Work for
Coordinator (Current Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 6, 2012
Pros: free gym
Company values its employees and continues to strive towards employee satisfaction
Fast Paced work environment
Documentation Clerk/CSR (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 25, 2012
Open electronic mail and faxes, answer incoming calls, direct faxes to right department, open mail and upload into system, answer and assist clients with legal information needed to obtain employment objective. Provide excellent personal customer service, contact clients requesting additional information to close files.
I learned more about the legal – more... duties as a documentation clerk and worked closely with specialist obtaining knowledge for the employer. – less
Professional and supportive work atmosphere
Title Officer (Former Employee), Moncton, NBMarch 7, 2012
Pros: very supportive, relaxed job atmospgere
Cons: i found the initial training a little unorganized
I enjoyed working at FCT due mainly to a supportive work atmosphere both from managament and co-workers. Thier benefit program was very fair and there were social activities outside the work place.
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Vienna,VASeptember 19, 2014
First Canadian Title Canada protects the insured (home buyer and lender) against loss resulting from title defects and defects that would have been revealed by an up-to-date survey or real property report.
Whether for a residential or commercial closing, title insurance is designed to streamline the conveyancing process and to enable real estate professionals – more... to close transactions faster, securely and with the ability to pass along costs savings to their clients.
Motion application is used for day to day title insurance policy, invoice generation and further premium transaction activities with their client and insurers. Document generation forms integral part of deal and policy creation and further insurance transaction. – less
If you like continous change - FCT is the place for you
Operations (Former Employee), OakvilleMarch 1, 2012
Leadership at FCT is not as strong as it used to be, but the people under the leadership level are amazing.
Enjoyable place to work with friendly people.
Title Searcher (Former Employee), Burnside NS all of New BrunswickDecember 17, 2011
Pros: luncheons to celebrste achievements, free to break whenever and access to coffee/tea.
Cons: large company
FCT is very team orientated. All members are expected to pull their weight and help to achieve a goal that will help to serve the client.